15. Hunting the Troglodytes

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 15. Hunting the Troglodytes

#61 Post by tooleychris »

"Dem Lizzy's gots no honor. Killin doze town folks. Woulda killed 'em all. Da womenz. Da little 'uns.
If'n weez fails here, dey all gonna fall ta lizzie spear, or fire... er worse."

Grim nods to the others.
"If Grim dies in dis'eer stink hole... ain't not one gonna says 'he fought wit honor.' Deys gonna says 'Grim failed and everyone else paid fer it.' Dat don't be settlin wit me. "
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by saalaria »

"there is one thing we know works just fine against them." the cleric adds quietly. He holds his mace up and turns to Strom.
"when we set out the other day I had no idea how much I would need this. I think she needs a name now." a smile spreads across his face.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by Computer +1 »

Strom smiles and slaps Kaltar on the shoulder. Indeed it does my friend.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#64 Post by Stonjuz »

Shannigans takes his eyes off of Gwilt's perceived position for an instant to study his would-be protectors if the trogs were to bring the attack here. The fighting men about him scare the snot out of the halfling, still, but he is glad that he is on their side. The weefolk rogue musters up an ounce of courage and takes a step or two, closer than he had ventured towards the group before, and they all share a glance between themselves in recognition of the hobbit's humble display of acceptance. He goes back to looking eyes on to the ranger with bow prepped.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by dmw71 »

Imagine the halfling's surprise when the ranger reemerges from his scouting journey from the opposite direction.

---

I created a batch of my super awesome maps last night to provide an overview of the area and your progress.

O'Hare and the Troglodyte Lair

As for Gwillt, he set out to the south (right) and is returning from the north (left).

Lair

Code: Select all

From west (w -> e)
                  < G (north)
               /   
            /
         /
       /
     /                 * (lair)
  x  (party)           
     \   
       \  
         \
           \
             > G (south)
[/ooc]
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by onlyme »

assuming we all notice the ranger...)
Ewell sees Gwilt coming back toward them, from another direction. Due to Trogs blocking the direct path, perhaps?

How'd it go? I see no skewers sticking through ya...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by Alethan »

"I found lots of tracks going in and out of the lair, but there were too many to be able to determine if the last ones were going in or coming out. I think, given when I saw them last, we can safely assume a party has left the lair. I do not know if that means the lair is empty or not, but I did not hear anything coming from behind the makeshift door when I was near it. I also searched for a second exit behind the first and didn't find anything."

"My best guess? A contingent of male trogs has left the lair. Might be a good time to enter and destroy what trogs are left inside, then wait for the others to return."

He pauses for a moment to see if he's forgotten anything. Remembering one point of interest, he adds, "Oh, I almost forgot. There are two main trails leading from the lair - one heading north back towards O'Hare and another heading east somewhere. I'm unfamiliar with this area, so I don't know what might be east of here, but it might be worth checking out after we deal with the lair..."

While he is relaying information, Gwillt stows his bow and draws his sword, assuming the inside of the lair will be close-quartered enough that no ranged attacks (short of a magical spell) will be possible.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by tooleychris »

"Was dems dat left da lair, da new tracks, headin back ta town? Hate ta leave'em ta fend fer demselves... "
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

Gwillt shakes his head, "Sorry, I couldn't tell that from the tracks. They were too muddled. All i could really tell was that there are more tracks headed east than headed north to O'Hare."

Gwillt makes a mental note to also search out the remaining muckdwellers after this lair is cleared out.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by onlyme »

Ewell asks:
Well, based on what you saw, any suggestions for an attack? I like your acceptance of finally shelving that cowardly bow.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

Gwillt shakes his head, "My methods saved your skinny arse back at the falls when we first met. Keep that in mind the next time you go on about how much better your lance... oops. Sorry about that," he says with a chuckle. Then his face turns serious, "One of these days, kid, you're going to lose your tongue speaking to someone that way. Here's a bit of free advice - you'd better learn when to keep your archaic thoughts of chivalry to yourself. 'Cause not everyone wants to hear it... and, some day, you're gonna cross someone's shadow who wants to shut you up... and is big enough to do it."

Then he stares at the lair entrance for a moment in thought.

"As far as an attack plan goes... I wouldn't put it past these things to trap their door, especially since we've seen no signs of a lookout, so maybe have Shanny check the door for traps, then..." he shrugs, "we just toss you in to handle the lot?" He smiles and adds, "Of course, we'd be right behind you in case you wanted to leave any work for the rest of us."

"After we enter, it might not be a bad idea to have a few people waiting right inside the door, in case any of the trogs returns while the rest of us hunt out the lair..."
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rukellian »

"I wouldn't mind staying near the entrance, so long as someone is there to back me up," Fimmion chimes in after hearing Gwillt's plan.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:Gwillt shakes his head, "My methods saved your skinny arse back at the falls when we first met. Keep that in mind the next time you go on about how much better your lance... oops. Sorry about that," he says with a chuckle. Then his face turns serious, "One of these days, kid, you're going to lose your tongue speaking to someone that way. Here's a bit of free advice - you'd better learn when to keep your archaic thoughts of chivalry to yourself. 'Cause not everyone wants to hear it... and, some day, you're gonna cross someone's shadow who wants to shut you up... and is big enough to do it."
Ewell practically bites his tongue, knowing that to verablly snap at such outlandish bile could endanger the entire party, something he would feel a bit guilty for contributing toward. Ah, old man, your memory is a bit faded from the hike you just took. I will forgive you, and let it pass. As to your plan... While I am sure I could take them all myself, as you correctly assessed... it wouldnt be very honorable to not allow those of you who wish, the chance to partake. He continues, I believe we should quickly go to the liar, and set up a two sided front. One to catch as patrols return, and the other to root them out of whereever they are hiding.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#74 Post by Alethan »

Gwillt snickers at the kid's bravado. The gods know the truth, and that is all that matters.

He is ready to move towards the lair opening whenever everyone else is.

General plan:
Shanny checks door for traps while two others prepare light sources.
Split into two groups inside (5 and 4).
Group One (5 strong) advances into the lair, hacking up trogs as they may.
Group Two (4 strong) guards the door from the inside, preventing fleeing trogs from leaving and keeping an eye out for the returning trog party.

Anyone have any suggestions on the split? We'll need a torchbearer in both parties (Fimmion and Shanny?), some healing in both parties, and some fighting power in both parties.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by onlyme »

Could we split it evenly between the melee'ers and the missile'ers?
Strom, Grim, Ewell and a cleric in one group. Gwilt, 2 clerics, Shan and Flim in the other.

That way we don't waste melee-only rounds waiting on folks to fire magic or arrows...

Is that enough meat for the 2nd group?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#76 Post by Alethan »

Hmmm... I really don't picture a trog's lair as being an environment where missile weapons are going to be useful at all. I'm thinking dirt-lined tunnels, most likely 5' wide, if that, and certainly not more, with lots of twists and turns, and then some larger congregating rooms. But not stone-floored and stone-walled 10' corridors with 12' ceilings where archery would be possible...

If there are going to be any ranged attacks, it's going to be hand axes and daggers at close range before combat ensues.

But that's just my thoughts.

Or maybe I'm not following your train of thought? Do you mean missile-users should stay by the door in case of a return of the other trogs while the melee people run through the lair? Or are you thinking of two groups moving through the lair at the same time? Can you clarify?
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by onlyme »

I was thinking the missile users stay by the door, picking off ones coming in. Or ones running toward them to leave. Thinking about magic as well. in that close an environment, don't want Grim and Ewell twiddling thumbs waiting on a spell or arrow to fly before engaging...

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#78 Post by Stonjuz »

The halfling chimes in, "Better get to clearing them out then, 'fore the others return. Quickly now, after I check the door, I'll stay and watch if you all want but I sure dont want to get us all cornered in there. So speed may be a blessing, yes, quickly now. Then we pick them, the males as you say, off as they come back from ... wherever."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

Don't think anyone will be using ranged weapons inside the lair, for the above mentioned reasons.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#80 Post by Stonjuz »

dmw71 wrote:Imagine the halfling's surprise when the ranger reemerges from his scouting journey from the opposite direction.
The speed the ranger possesses amazes the hobbit to no end. The human is doing my job, goes thru his thoughts, but he happily keeps them to himself, wanting to avoid anymore moral arguements, or lose any potential professional lessons in the future.

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”