Chapter 4: Dark Side of the Moon

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4: Dark Side of the Moon

#61 Post by Marullus »

ooc:
Clarifying, as this is a bit tricky to adjudicate. Normally you would declare the primary actor, and then others can roll to Help him, with their successes adding a +1 to the primary's skill check roll. (By the book, you can only get one +1 from Help... but multiple rolls makes that more likely.)

You had previously voted Taavi as your spokesman, and he also spoke first here. I'm going to assume he's the primary. Your other rolls are to augment him. Unfortunately Taavi rolled the lowest possible value in his efforts to convince, and no help is going to fix that. :) To be fair, convincing them to let you walk around the station armed is a really, really ambitious action with a very high DC.
"I'm sorry to have been so direct as to force things, sir, madams. As I've said before, things have been unsettling and... horrific," concludes Taavi, proffering that he alone be disarmed in good faith and the others retain their weapons.

Taavi places his rifle deliberately in the indicated locker. Hansel does the same with his harmony armor and combat rifle, conspicuously keeping his pistol. Shadrach, Nora, and Emile make no move to relinquish their weapons.

Victor nods once in understanding, the two women next to him looking compassionately upon you. "We do understand... the surface world has indeed been... horrific... for a long, long time. We appreciate the constant fear of danger and harm to which you are accostomed. Please trust that no harm will come to you here. There is no need for anyone to carry arms upon this station, as we are followers of the Harmonious Way, and none here will offer you offense. As I said, our greatest desire is to make your stay comfortable." He smiles reassuringly. "You'll find quite suitable griddle potato pancakes in our diner... not to mention observance of my own favorite custom from Kumekha city, Kumek dancing."

"If only you wish to disarm, then only you may go forward. Perhaps your reassurance upon your return will assuage the others."
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygar Gangleri places his firearm in a locker. Mentally - he sends to the rest I have a backup. "Is my drone allowed to accompany me?"

Mentally - ask them if they visit the planet often - what with so many portals available.

gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Marullus »

Your reconfigured drone is an obvious weapon, so no. Your station keeping drone is unmodded, so yes.

Edit:
You left the stationkeeping drone back with Heavy. You can spend your 1/day ability to retroactively bring it.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by jemmus »

Mentally: I surrendered my rifle, but I still have my laser pistol under my coat. I think they'd catch it if I tried to smuggle it. They're too advanced tech. And getting caught doing it would be a show of deception and bad faith. But they might respect and consider at least gutsy. They have portals to both the bar and the Sons of V's locations, they can't be all innocent. I'd like to just come clean and ask them about that. They probably know that we know about both. From Marshal Báleygr's accesses to and denials to parts of their internal system.

It seems playing dumb and talking didn't work. My fault, marshals. Someone else please speak next.
a) Surrender weapons and cooperate.
b) Try to smuggle concealed weapons.
c) Verbally negotiate directly.
?

The transmission happened at the speed of thought, without the need for expressing things in words or language. Taavi wondered if his acting ability and his spacey, contemplative scholarly lawyer guise shielded him from suspicion during the quick instants of inattention to the interaction.
Quick, you guys! Somebody say something! He sends a mental vote of confidence and thumbs up to the hardworking and beat-up team of marshals. Anything! Then remembers Nora and Oliver, and tries to piece together what their perception of the past few moments of events might be.

"Shadrach's shadow dog. Can it somehow be a key? It's a weapon, but it bears no metal weapons. And it's from the side of good. Can it somehow reassure Nora and Oliver like an earthly dog when times are alright, and warn them when its family is in trouble?"
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by greyarea »

Emile keeps his weapon in its holster.

You have some knowledge of the surface then, do you get there often? Where would you say your haunts are? Have you knowledge of what is causing it to be so… “horrible” I believe you called it? What is the source of the horror?
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by Enoch »

Shadrach's eyes flicker toward the shadows as he speaks through the mental link. The grim's not anything like what you could call 'good'. It's a thing of evil, and don't forget that. But the Church binds it through ritual, and I do through force of will...mostly. But if they don't say anything about it, neither will I.

The aging soldier grimaces as he slides the sling of the spike-thrower off his shoulder, but deposits the weapon in the proffered locker. He leaves his knife in its sheath on his belt for the moment.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by cybersavant »

Marullus wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:08 pm Your reconfigured drone is an obvious weapon, so no. Your station keeping drone is unmodded, so yes.

Edit:
You left the stationkeeping drone back with Heavy. You can spend your 1/day ability to retroactively bring it.
yes, retcon the 2nd drone, Báleygar Gangleri needs eyes
gaming since 1980

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel sighs quietly and says i’ll go with ya Taavi. and slides his gun belt and laser pistol into the locker. Making no mention of the monoblade knife that he has “forgotten “ in his pocket.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Marullus »

Taavi places his rifle deliberately in the indicated locker. Hansel does the same with his harmony armor and combat rifle, then reluctantly also adds his pistol. Shadrach steps up, the shadowy hound sidling along the edge of the wall to remain near him, and places his spike thrower and combat rifle in the locker as well. Nora follows his lead, putting in her own gun. Balygyr puts in his gun and, after inquiry, places his armed drone in the locker and gets out his secondary drone. The three hosts say nothing, waiting quietly, seeming willing to compromise on you carrying sheath knives on your belts.

Emile alone keeps his weapon in its holster. You have some knowledge of the surface then, do you get there often? Where would you say your haunts are? Have you knowledge of what is causing it to be so… “horrible” I believe you called it? What is the source of the horror?

The two women gasp lightly, covering their mouths. "Go to the surface? Oh no, no," steps in Victor. "We are here, you see, waiting and preserving culture because... well, going to the surface such as it is?" He simply shakes his head, allowing the rest of the thought to be self-evident. "The source of the horror, of course, is the hearts of men. Is it not?"

Victor looks to the disarmed members of the party, then back to Emile, then back to Taavi. "Those that have chosen to honor the way of Harmony, you may proceed when you are ready. We shall provide you the tour."

Do you go ahead without Emile? Does Emile... stick to his guns?
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by jemmus »

Taavi looks at the floor, seemingly contemplating a reply.
I think we all see, Marshal Shadrach. I think we should keep in mind your dog Grim. He-- it-- may perhaps be very useful in surprising situation in the near future. Marshals, it seems to me that we have little choice. We can't exit through a portal for six hours or so. Weapons or none, we have no choice but to cooperate.

Taavi watches Nora, who has only been watching and listening as her and Oliver's companions surrendered their weapons. And she does the same. In a space station high above the world.

Taavi looks up at Victor and places the laser pistol from under his coat in the table. Alright then, my friend, Mr. Victor. There it is, as expected. Please ask your friends to store it safely, until we can retrieve our moveable property. In the ancient and present courts, such things are called "moveable chattel." He looks to the speaking woman. I assume the common laws of pre- and post-Scream civilization still apply?

Talk - 0 [1d12]=11
PCs

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygar Gangleri

"Excuse me. I'm a little confused. If you don't venture down to the planet, why do you have active portals? Who acts o your behalf?"
gaming since 1980

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Marullus »

jemmus wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:26 am Taavi looks up at Victor and places the laser pistol from under his coat in the table. Alright then, my friend, Mr. Victor. There it is, as expected. Please ask your friends to store it safely, until we can retrieve our moveable property. In the ancient and present courts, such things are called "moveable chattel." He looks to the speaking woman. I assume the common laws of pre- and post-Scream civilization still apply?
Victor smiles benignly and nods. "Indeed, you will find that we operate under continuing Mandate law, as you call ancient courts; to apply all 'post-Scream' legal jurisprudence even of jurisdictions contained on this singular planet would be a worrying amount of contradiction. For your chattel - to say 'moveable chattel' is redundant under Mandate law - do not fear any concern of intentional tort. We have no intent of conversion regarding your moveable property and it shall be maintained here securely," he says, deftly matching Taavi's knowledge of law.
cybersavant wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:34 am "Excuse me. I'm a little confused. If you don't venture down to the planet, why do you have active portals? Who acts o your behalf?"
The female assistant on the left responds, "We live our life in patience for when security may one day be again assured, and maintain the portals to ensure we are able to assist the planet when it rises from barbarity. We trust the Board to determine when conditions are reached."
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by greyarea »

Emile stands firm for now. My vow requires me to keep my Sunshooter on my person. I'm sure you understand. If you know of the Chun Kuk, you know that we never draw our weapons unless necessary. You can be assured of my peaceful intentions.

He turns to the female assistant: Who is on this board? What do they do, other than monitor things planet-side? And I notice that you failed to answer my associate's question: why then the active portals if you don't use them for travel?
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by jemmus »

Taavi telepaths to the marshals, So they keep portals open to a bar full of fiends and to the home of the Sons of Vlolok. While waiting for "when security may one day be again assured"? It doesn't add up, does it? He waits for the reaction to Emile's statement about his Sunshooter and the answer to his question about the Board.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Marullus »

"I see you, Mystic Knight of Chun Kuk," says Victor reverently as he bows to Emile arms curved outward from his sides, a strange gesture to the rest of you and a level of formality even Emile has been taught but seldom seen. He resumes speaking as he straightens back up. "But as you know, the Mystic Knights shall never be the Brotherhood of Phe. Your way is inherently violent, and though we respect a desire for good, it remains incompatable with the Harmonious Way. As I said, you may deposit your weapons and join your companions."

The female assistant replies, "The Board of Eternals are from among our number, but promoted to be the wise directors of our interests. It is not harmonious to question their activities or motives, for without trust equal to guidance, we would be lost in chaos." The other woman adds on, "The Board governs all things in balance upon Langtang. To be self-sufficient as we are takes meticulous care. We grow, eat, recycle; we are born, live fruitfully, and pass on. Chaos of non-guidance would spell ruin for everyone, forcing us into a world that is not ready to resume the lessons of the Mandate, and thus causing the knowledge we preserve to be wasted and loss. The good of all depends on the Harmonious Way."

The trio seem calmly resolute in their conditions for your continuing onward.

Point of decision - you feel you've reached the impasse point.
1) Emile surrenders his guns and you all go out of the room together.
2) Emile keeps his guns, everyone else unarmed leaves without him. (Taavi hasn't tested his range, but believes his telepathy should at least reach a short while out of sight from each other.)
3) You kill them and leave together...
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by greyarea »

What does Emile know of the Brotherhood of the Phe?

Emile thinks to the others, I should give in?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Marullus »

greyarea wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:57 pm What does Emile know of the Brotherhood of the Phe?
Dude, it's your own character's background.
:lol:
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel thinks back If your oaths will allow it, you might be better able to support us with your presence. On the other hand, It might be best if at least one of us was armed in the vicinity of our gear.

I could really go either way on this. I hate the idea of splitting the party, but I also hate the idea of abandoning - potentially - all of our weapons.
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygar could leave his armed drone outside the locker, monitoring the area - he'd actually prefer to do that anyway.

and through the mental link he told the other's that he's still armed
gaming since 1980

Return to “Dust to Dust (SWN)”