Expedition: Fingers/Ghostly Trial - Part II - 23 July 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Fingers/Ghostly Trial - Part II - 23 July 20

#461 Post by onlyme »

Markd whispers whether they should attempt todelay till morning to give the healer a fresh set of spells.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#462 Post by Zhym »

Fingers glances quickly at Agheth then back at Markd. "I dunno, man. She doesn't look keen on waiting. And I really doubt there's anything in these books that says, 'Hey, we know you've spent centuries as a ghost reliving the trial that screwed you on totally bogus evidence, but do you mind chilling a few hours before we fix it so we can catch some Zs?' I mean, if Hengist can convince her he needs to wait for his morning prayers before doing anything, maybe, but I wouldn't bet on her being happy about it."
In retrospect, it would have been better to let her go, then rest until morning, detect magic, and load up the loot near the entrance before talking to her again, but here we are.
DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#463 Post by DavetheLost »

I would be happy to be the voice of the party at the trial, Hengist says. I doubt we can convince Agheth to delay for us after she has waited all these years. Hopefully the book will help us bring the trial to a just conclusion.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by Zhym »

"Okay, then. Let's go."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#465 Post by Marullus »

Hengist politely declines the offer to make the ghost wait until he and Allmond finish their nap, agreeing to represent the group in the hearing chamber.

Hengist picks up the abnormally thick book titled "A Lifetime of Service: Reflections of the Chief Justice of the Yoldessi Plains and the Wisdom of Baudhon" and follows the ghost of Agheth. You cross the large room with the spiral stair and re-enter the trial chamber through the open archway to the right of the dais. The whole room is lit by a series of hanging chandeliers, glowing like the one in the first hallway. There are benches for those who wish to observe the proceedings; several translucent figures sit upon them, observing obediently, wearing a variety of garment styles and periods. Oddly, this includes several kobolds and an ogre, wearing furs.

The conversation among ghosts on the dais stops abruptly as Agheth cries out! She holds her own severed head in her left hand, pointing to your group with her right. Their spectral eyes turn to look at you. The robed man on the dais chair wearing the symbol of Baudh speaks in an authoritative tone but a language you don't understand. Markd stands, holding his golden knife, and understands their words: "Objection! We have evidence supporting the late claims of Aslyn and his change in testimony! The words of the Cardinal himself impugne him and shall exonerate me from these lies!" cried Agheth. "The court has heard all evidence," intones Cardinal Cathelon. "Aslyn's remorse changes nothing. You claim to have evidence against me? No such thing exists, in the name of Baudhon the Just. Where would such have been acquired?"

The golden haired with devastating good looks (clearly Vond, the queen's incestuous lover), looks uncomfortable, quiet in his chair. The robe-wearing dark-haired man with a gold circlet, identifiable as Aslyn, interjects, "I already recanted my testimony, summoning this re-trial... why will you not believe it? Let the evidence be heard!"

The handsome dark-haired man in knightly raiment and wearing a gold circlet on his head, identifiable as King Danorr, calls out to Hengist and momentarily prevents the Cardinal from responding. "Tell us, Cleric, what do you bring to influence the fates of the damned? Where did you acquire it? How would we know it to be true?"

Room Layout:
Explain (in Lawful alignment language) your responses to his questions. Then roll a [4d6] CHA check and say how you present the book to the court (which they demand you do next).

Date: 9:30pm, 24 July 2021
Light: Magic Chandeliers
Effects: None.
Injuries: Markd (superficial wounds)
[/quote]
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#466 Post by Zhym »

Fingers listens to the translations as he can. He allows himself a moment of hope when he hears that that Aslyn summoned the retrial. Perhaps conclusive proof of Agheth's innocence will return this ghosts to their peaceful rests.

As the ghosts start to dispute the book's authenticity, Fingers sincerely hopes their plan doesn't rely on Markd's charm and good looks.

"The book is in the Cardinal's own handwriting, right?" he whispers. "'Course, whether he admits it is something else."

Somewhere far away, whether he knows it or not, Pendleton is regretting that he isn't getting the chance to argue in another trial.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#467 Post by Alethan »

Unable to do anything but listen to the translation, Bandy does just that, wondering how a ghost recants a testimony and calls all of the other ghosts to re-assemble for a new trial!

He also casually glances around the room, looking for the dour-faced man he was able to understand earlier so he can try and get a read on him in light of this new evidence that may come into play...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#468 Post by Marullus »

Alethan wrote:He also casually glances around the room, looking for the dour-faced man he was able to understand earlier so he can try and get a read on him in light of this new evidence that may come into play...
The golden haired man with devastating good looks (clearly Vond, the queen's incestuous lover), looks uncomfortable, quiet in his chair.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#469 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Oh, I guess I just remembered him wrong. I thought he had stringy black hair like Severus Snape. Maybe I was just making him into Snape for some reason...
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by onlyme »

Markd whispers to the (fill in appropriate adjective) cleric, " On a mission in Baudh's name, found the books in the white tower."

He shifts uncomfortably backward, hoping the mark on his forehead doesnt ruin the dialog among the others.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#471 Post by Marullus »

I will wait for Hengist's RP and roll. :)
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#472 Post by Zhym »

I'm on pins and needles here.

It's too bad we can't do the party leader re-rolls with things other than initiative. :D This is going to be a big roll. Just over 44% chance of success, I think: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4484#p192800 (assuming there aren't any modifiers on the roll).
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#473 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:I'm on pins and needles here.

It's too bad we can't do the party leader re-rolls with things other than initiative. :D This is going to be a big roll. Just over 44% chance of success, I think: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4484#p192800 (assuming there aren't any modifiers on the roll).

Markd needs to move to another kingdom that uses d20 apparently. that would infinitely improve his odds, short of slam dunk 2d6s.

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#474 Post by DavetheLost »

Respectfully, we bring this book, written by the hand of Cardinal Cathelon, found in the White Tower on a mission in Holy Baudh's name. In it Cardinal Cathelon clears his conscience. Admitting that he long knew Aslyn's testimony was magically fabricated and that of Vond a convincing lie. In hubris he thought a better alliance could be struck for the kingdom. He blames himself for going along with Aslyn's portrayal and using it to fuel his campaign against magic. Ultimately leaving the kingdom with no queen and no heirs to battle against the coming necromancers, and evil for which he blames himself. Writing as a dying old man he sought to clear his conscience. It is only just that you should now clear Agheth.

Hengist offers the book open to the relevant passage.

Charisma Check (CHR 13) = [4d6] = 13
DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#475 Post by DavetheLost »

I hope I got that right.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#476 Post by Zhym »

Me too. ;) The roll went well, at least.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by Marullus »

Hengist steps forward, presenting the book and their testimony simply and clearly to them, understood as fellow creatures of order. They understand his explainations sufficiently, and he places the book open upon the dias, displaying the final confessions of the ancient Cardinal, written in his own hand.

Cries and shouts of indignation, anger, and fear go up from the various members of the trial. They shout over each other such that Markd cannot translate it all - those entralled to the trial for so many centuries rise up, converging on the Cardinal's ghost, who screams in horror and shame, dissppearing amidst them.

There is a flash of light and a wave of concussive force which blasts outward as the spell is broken. Chairs are toppled, the chandeliers sway wildly, sending shadows reeling around the room. Those spectres of the trial are all gone. Only the wizardly brother, Aslyn, remains... though his faces relaxes and ages as he walks towards you. By the time he stands before your group, he is a bearded and bespeckled old man in deep red robes, no longer the young wizard of the trial. "You have done what I could not," he speaks in your minds, looking to each of you with relief. "I hoped my own recanting would be sufficient to undo the harm done in this trial in life, but the will of Cathelon held all to the law he decreed... with my own death, I became trapped as well within the drama. Your actions have done great good - perhaps there is more good you can do to restore the Yoldessi plains. Seek my tower on the mountain due south - the word 'Gwador' shall open the outer door."

The old wizard begins to fade, dissipating into mist. The dias of the trial is empty, the book still lying open on the table.

Behind him, you see all those ghosts trapped as spectators moving among the pews. Most move to flee, escaping out the doorways to get back to the side entrance of the barrows, away from you. Three, however, do not. The spectral troll grins wickedly, revelling in his release, and stomps confidently towards you. A spectral kobold cackles, coming at his side. A spectral man in necromancer's robes stands on your flank, unafraid as well and hungry for your lives.

(Actions!)

Date: 10:00pm, 24 July 2021
Light: Magic Chandeliers
Effects: None.
Injuries: Markd (superficial wounds)
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#478 Post by Zhym »

Fingers's satisfaction at having solved a puzzle and brought justice to this troubled hole in the ground—and maybe gotten easier access to lots of loot in the process—lasts about as long as Aslyn's ghost.

"Ohhhh crap," he says when the three spectral monsters threaten. He calls Sprinkles to heel and looks for someone to hide behind. Hopefully someone large, where Fingers can back towards a door. "Hengist! Can you turn 'em? Please?"

He readies Silmaril for use against any of the trio who resist being turned.

'Silmaril' (THAC0 18): [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16, [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#479 Post by Alethan »

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#480 Post by onlyme »

Markd takes his staff, with knife shaved, and swings against my coming toward him.
: Staff (thac0 16) [1d20+5] = 7+5 = 12 ; damage [1d8+5] = 4+5 = 9

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”