OOC: The Place for Rambling, Ranting, and Anything Else

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC: The Place for Rambling, Ranting, and Anything Else

#461 Post by Hoondatha »

I think it depends on what you want your character to do. Take, for instance, the fighter/cleric. If your goal is to be a primary spellcaster, then splitting your XP with a fighter doesn't make much sense. But if you're trying to be more of a front-line fighter with staying power, losing a level for a lot of cleric is a no-brainer.

Generally, though, I think it works a bit better at the very start (when you essentially get a second class for free), or later in the game. A F8/C9 is a lot more powerful than a straight F9, and possibly stronger than a C10.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#462 Post by Alethan »

Hoondatha wrote:I think it depends on what you want your character to do. Take, for instance, the fighter/cleric. If your goal is to be a primary spellcaster, then splitting your XP with a fighter doesn't make much sense. But if you're trying to be more of a front-line fighter with staying power, losing a level for a lot of cleric is a no-brainer.

Generally, though, I think it works a bit better at the very start (when you essentially get a second class for free), or later in the game. A F8/C9 is a lot more powerful than a straight F9, and possibly stronger than a C10.
Those are easy decisions to make when you're starting a 10th level game and the GM says, "Everyone make a character. You get 600K XP to use."

Bringing up a multiclass character, especially in a party where everyone else is single-class, seems to be a bit harder, for some reason. Though, funny enough, if you do the math, they generally don't end up too far behind the single class character when it comes to level advancement. A F/Cl needs 14,002 XP to get level 4. A straight fighter with 15,400 XP (accounting for the probability of a 10% bonus) is still just in their 4th level and a cleric is just a few thou into their 5th level. The fighter is just barely keeping ahead of the multiclass F/CL and the cleric is just staying one level ahead.

So I wonder what makes it harder? Just the HP loss? In the Legacy game, my 5th level thief has some nice HP (36). Granted, he apparently got some nice rolls and has a CON bonus). The fighter3/MU3 has less than 1/3 that number of HP. He has 1/3 the HP of the straight fighter, too. I can see where a few bad dice rolls could put him out of the game in short order, especially when put up against lvl 4 comparable monsters.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#463 Post by Hoondatha »

Fighter/mages are definitely glass cannons, at least until they get high enough level that they can start using more powerful protective magics. And I'm currently playing a just-starting fighter/cleric in another game, so we'll see how it goes moving her forward.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by hedgeknight »

Alethan wrote:You could always just give lots of XP for gold found...
(Hint)
Hmmmmm....

Actually, you guys haven't found that much treasure. I updated the treasure thread with what you have found so far - still not sure who has the amulet that Greystone found...anybody?
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#465 Post by Alethan »

You mean the proof against poison bit? I have it.

Or... Let me check the other thread...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#466 Post by Alethan »

If anyone wants the dagger (magical?), they're welcome to it. Greystone doesn't even have proficiency with it.

Same goes for the potion of speed. If anyone thinks they would get the most benefit from it - like someone with an already great attack rate - then speak up. Oggle? Darkstar?

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#467 Post by Hoondatha »

I pocketed the dagger. No one else even knows it exists, actually. Can I use it? No. But I can always trade it for something else.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#468 Post by Alethan »

Er... Sorry, but that's not he case...

viewtopic.php?p=30549#p30549

viewtopic.php?p=30568#p30568

Greystone picked it up.

But he's happy to give it to whomever will use it. :)

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#469 Post by Hoondatha »

I think we're talking about different daggers. Ah, and actually, this dagger pre-dates your joining the game, so no wonder there's a bit of confusion. I meant the likely-magical one I got way back in the dryad clearing at the start of the game.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1138&start=40#p27417

Looking back, Darkstar might know of the dagger in passing, but he was paying attention to other things at the time.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#470 Post by Alethan »

Ahhhh... Yes, different daggers! Sorry, I'd read about that one when I was catching up on the story and forgotten!

Seems like we have two magical (maybe) daggers in the party now. Good to know. Still... If anyone can use a dagger, it's available.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#472 Post by hedgeknight »

Forgot about that dagger, Hoon - thanks for reminding me.
This is one of my big faults in a pbp game: documenting treasure. Keep me honest, fellers!

AQ > please put the Potion of Speed on Oggle's list.
Greystone > updated treasure list to reflect the gnoll's stuff plus the value of the blue agate.
Also, regarding the amulet > I thought Greystone offered it to Tarrin back in the game thread...maybe I misread that. Anyway, I don't care who has it, but someone needs to put it on their sheet and note it either OOC or IC.

While we're on the subject of treasure, a word about magic items. My old adage has always been, "Use it or lose it" and it is no different for this game - several of you have potions of healing and several of you are severely wounded. It's a looong way to Grunwald...just saying.
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#473 Post by Alethan »

Tarrin said he didn't want it and that Greystone could take it, so he took it back. I can look up the thread, if you want.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#474 Post by hedgeknight »

That's cool - I don't care who has it, as long as it is claimed and on someone's sheet.
Winter is coming...

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#475 Post by Hoondatha »

Right. I turned it down because I thought Greystone could get better use of it.

And we might have healing potions, but we also have a cleric. Clerical spells refresh much more quickly than potions, which should be saved for emergencies.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#476 Post by AQuebman »

Yeah that was the reason I was holding off is I have been healed so much by the cleric and Oggle wouldn't know if he was spent or not. If that's the case i'd gladly pop a potion just need the cleric to pass the information along.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#477 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:That's cool - I don't care who has it, as long as it is claimed and on someone's sheet.
I have it on my sheet, along with the second magical dagger.

I'll remove the potion of speed from my sheet, aQ, if you would please add it to yours. Oggle will be a brute at twice as fast as he is now... and the aging effects shouldn't bother him too much, either. ;)

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#479 Post by Hoondatha »

Potion of speed doubles movement speed and combat abilities for 5d4 rounds. It also ages you a year, so it's definitely a good thing you're a dwarf.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#480 Post by Alethan »

Hoondatha wrote:Potion of speed doubles movement speed and combat abilities for 5d4 rounds. It also ages you a year, so it's definitely a good thing you're a dwarf.
I'm sure you could drink half of it for half that duration...

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”