Action Thread #5 - The Plains

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Action Thread #5 - The Plains

#41 Post by zebediah »

If we remain here we will be seen before long, so we either race in when the watch turns away or we leave this island. I think we should at least have a look inside, but avoid any combat unless we're attacked first. What do you folks say?
Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#42 Post by Sir Clarence »

"This grey creature might indeed be the guardian that the ducks mentioned. If it's a golem-like thing, then I doubt that we stand a chance in battle against it. I suggest that we hide somewhere nearby and wait for that walking tadpole. Perhaps it's not unfriendly and is willing to talk."
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by Stonjuz »

"The proprietor inside, the tadpole, if you will, probably wont take kindly to squatters. On the other hand, perhaps we can offer him some labor for some hospitality. If you are asking my opinion, I already said we should rest, over there i guess, and maybe drag one small portion of the lake with me big nets, pass around the heals and prepare spells that will be more useful. But Im in with yuz all whatever it be you decide."
Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#44 Post by Ra the monk »

"Well maybe this frog guy and this grey guy are OK. Could be better than bats."
zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by zebediah »

Then we should find a place around here that is out of the grey fellow's sight range, so we can all sit and rest. the ranger has a look at the courtyard ahead I will scout inside so we can better plan our next move, I believe I can get past that guard without catching his attention.

Ogirdor will wait for the next opportunity and get past the watchguy. Once he's in he will try to find a place that provides cover and a good view of the surrounding area.
Buzz
Scout
Scout

#46 Post by Buzz »

Malone pulls his halberd off his back and will move into cover as the others do so. "Perhaps we should talk with him, I mean, maybe it's more human then it appears."
ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor smiles wide. "Send the halfling, I've always heard it said." He seeks out a good position to cover the wall with his crossbow, showing his agreement that someone should scout the place first. He mutters, "Quite a shot, this would be. Not much more than distraction fire..."
"I must lie down where all the ladders start / In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart." —W. B. Yeats, "The Circus Animals' Desertion"

Geert Harfoot, Level 1 Halfling, Spartakos's Borderlands of Lamora Game
Brother Constantine, Level 3 Half-Elf Cleric/Magic-User, Spartakos's Play by Board Game
Former Unseen Servant DM, UK5 Eye of the Serpent
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 3 - Afternoon - Grassy Plain/The Weed Lake Bridge

Musical Theme: Courtyard Dash

Tracking the pattern of the grey figure on the battlement Ogirdor chooses his instant and dashes down the rest of the wooden bridge, crosses the collapsed gate and penetrates the courtyard. As he skulks for 30 yards besides the fortress towards the entrance he can see the years, neglect and weather have all taken a toll on this place, but unlike what it seemed from the outside the wood of the 6 feet high timber stockade still looks sound.

Yet it seems that someone has been here recently, someone with a grim mission. Two small, fresh, reddish scaly hides hang limply from a hook besides the entrance to the building.

Peering round the corner of the entrance Ogirdor can see a 10 foot stairway leading up to a door that has seen better days. The small corridor seems like a perfect hiding place from the rounds of the watcher above.

[1d100] = 78

Alas, the ranger fails to notice the access way is trapped. As he moves to step into the stairs the ground gives under him and he finds himself falling into a 5 foot deep pit and hitting its rocky bottom with painful force...

Fall Damage: [1d6] = 4

...for 4 points of damage.

At last, a map that can be uploaded! Ogirdor is splattered down on the "X"

Meanwhile...

The rest of the party still back in the bridge does not have an angle of vision to see what has befallen their companion, but they clearly heard his yelp and the sound of hinges turning and chain links ringing against stone.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by Stonjuz »

"Thurinor, I believe the sayun' is "The halfling's in trouble".
After hearing the yelp, Stonjuz adds, "The halfling's in trouble. Let's go."
ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor smiles at Stonjuz despite the gravity of the situation. [OOC: Sorry, Og, couldn't resist.] "Halfling or no, we follow him in. Delighted to make his new acquaintances for my own! But careful now. Steady now..." The still-smiling elf tries to maintain his usual place in the marching order and gives way to the fighting types. He has his crossbow at the ready as he goes but will not fire until he has a clear and threatening target.
"I must lie down where all the ladders start / In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart." —W. B. Yeats, "The Circus Animals' Desertion"

Geert Harfoot, Level 1 Halfling, Spartakos's Borderlands of Lamora Game
Brother Constantine, Level 3 Half-Elf Cleric/Magic-User, Spartakos's Play by Board Game
Former Unseen Servant DM, UK5 Eye of the Serpent
zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by zebediah »

Ouch the ranger mutters with a grimace as he checks himself for any injury more serious than the bruises he feels. Getting back to his feet he looks around and up, assessing if he can climb up on his own or if he will have to use rope or other tools.
Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#52 Post by Sir Clarence »

Nervously, Andrin follows the others into the courtyard. Eyeing the battlement for the return of the grey watcher, he tries to stay as close to the old wall as possible. The druid is relieved to see that the ranger is alive and not seriously hurt. As he's lacking any rope himself, he waits for someone else to lower it down the pit and pull out Ogirdor.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Stonjuz »

After the group begins moving in, and waiting for the 'non-sleeper' to run it's pattern, Stonjuz will take his turn running in.
The dwarf tries to get over to the closest hiding spot, and after determining the ranger's vacinity, will throw one end of his rope down the pit.
Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#54 Post by Ra the monk »

YOU OK OVER THERE!!! *sigh* Well lets go. re-shouldering his pack Oz makes his way towards his companion.
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 3 - Afternoon - Grassy Plain/The Lake Fortress

Andrin, Malone, Ozborn, Stonjuz and Thurinor rush to the aid of Ogirdor. When they reach the pit they see the ranger/priest climbing out of it through his own effort. Fortunately, it was not deep enough to require a rope or outside help for exiting.

If the grey guardian has noticed anything he does not show it. His figure is not seen peering down from the battlement down into the courtyard. Supposedly he is still doing his cyclical rounds.
ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor grins widely and whispers: "Well, that was an adventure. Where is our wall-walking friend? Now that we're this far, might we not continue?" He keeps a watch on the walls as the party decides what to do next.
zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by zebediah »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Thurinor grins widely and whispers: "Well, that was an adventure. Where is our wall-walking friend? Now that we're this far, might we not continue?" He keeps a watch on the walls as the party decides what to do next.
I guess either the tadpole or the grey watcher dislike visitors, or are simply trying to keep away from their neighbors. Oz, are you able to see if these stairs are also trapped?
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#58 Post by Stonjuz »

"Well, no dwarf would be living here. If it were, it would have taken more pride in the fortress."
Buzz
Scout
Scout

#59 Post by Buzz »

Malones smiles, "As I understood a dwarf might be fine with defenses like this, just as long as he had a very shiny new axe or sword." He looks around inspecting the insides of the fortifications. "Maybe this wasn't the best idea..."
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz begins to look around for dwarven art, writ, and, or furnishing.
The fortress is dwarven constructed. The dwarf tries to determine what of nature has been 'living' here. (besides the worn path of the golem)

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”