Chapter 14: The Doomed Undying

Inferno
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 14: The Doomed Undying

#41 Post by Scott308 »

Loche

Whit th' bugger is gaun oan? Ah wis asleep 'n' noo ah seem tae hae stabbed something?

Seeing the underground dwellers are trying to enter, the Pict heads to the back door, attempting to bloody his dagger some more.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

Cruloc wheels to smite Garrin after the spellbound paladin strikes him from behind. However, seeing that the Atlantean is no longer bewitched, he stays his spear.

"Mitra's swollen taint! First, the Easterner threatens to make me his meal, and now this benighted knight carves my back! The next man to cross me I'll skewer like a Turanian kebab!"

Again he commits himself to the grisly butchery at the doorway. There is no art or craft to this dire bloodletting – each thrust and cut by the barbarian is an explosion of primal animal fury unslowed by civilisation, undaunted by logical fear, untrammelled by ethical restraints!

"They fall before me like reaped wheat!"

Attack w/spear at +2 [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19
Damage [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#43 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Afraid to be stabbed in his back again by another sleeping friend, Xorxen rushes through the doorway, leading by example. He attacks the thrall to his right with his javelin, hoping to get past him to allow passage for the rest of the party to follow.

Attack w/ +2 Javelin of Men-khetu [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8 Dam [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6 :roll: identical rolls as previous attack? This roller hates my characters
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin awakens, horrified at the evil act he has committed. He stows his longsword and draws his dagger, eager to take his vengeance on these lost souls who trapped his mind.

To Hit with Dagger: [1d20] = 8; Damage: sm - [1d4] = 1; lg - [1d3] = 1

Overcome with guilt, and the penance that he knows he must perform, the fallen paladin swings wide.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Urson »

Zahra
Zahra sees Mako begin to rise and backhands him across the face. Wake up! For the love of all things holy!
FA FO
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Nice to have you back, Garrin." says Kiri, releasing the paldin. He moves to the back door to help clear the way for their escape, jabbing short and sharp with the Claw of Khlobek, the quarters being tight. "Heed the Verulian. Out the back way. Cruloc, when the others are out fall back to here and we'll vanquish these dogs together!" He is impressed and a bit alarmed by the barbarian's savagery at the front door.

Attack with Trident +1, Claw of Chobek (THAC0:19): To Hit: [1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10 Damage vs. s/m: [1d6+8] = 3+8 = 11, vs. Lg: [3d4+7] = 6+7 = 13 Let's hope they have garbage AC... :)
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Inferno »

Tjoruy's Hovel, the Underground City
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Eight. Hours before dawn?, 19th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

Pale masked madmen who have never known the light of day descend upon the explorers of the underground city!

At the front door of Tjoruy's hovel, Garrin joins Cruloc in holding the line as the barbarian savagely murders a second masked under-dweller! Another surreal lunatic immediately takes his place and sinks his archaic blade to the hilt in Cruloc's gut! (-5hp)

Behind them, Zahra slaps Mako awake! And sleepwalking Amethu tries to murder Garrin from behind but crashes his weapon into a wall in the tight confines of the dilapidated ruin of a home.

Loche bursts from the back door into the subterranean street, bloodying his dagger on the flesh of a stag-masked denizen of pandemonium! Kiri, Tjoruy and Xorzen follow the fearless Pict, opening a path with trident, mace and javelin; the albino priest bludgeoning one of their masked adversaries to death!

The eerily visaged madmen hack and stab with reckless abandon, gashing Kiri and Loche! (-2hp each) The pair look up and see a seemingly endless legion stream out of the subterranean gloom, like some macabre masquerade party of madness and death!

Actions, everyone except Amethu!

Underground City Map:

Only lit areas are visible to one or more PCs. All else is from memory.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings): Image

PC Status: PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (Garrin, Kiri, Loche and Xorzen have breathed of the mists): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Scott308

#48 Post by Scott308 »

Loche

Git oot o' thare! Thir's plenty mair oot 'ere- we need tae git awa'. Noo! The Pict exhorts his comrades to hurry as he continues his relentless attack on the underground dwellers.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Urson »

Zahra

Go! Get out! Else they kill us all right here! Zahra snaps at Mako. She then grabs Armenthu, spins him to face her, and backhands him the same way she did Mako.
FA FO
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by SocraticLawyer »

If I'm reading the map right, Garrin can step over the body of the one killed by Cruloc last round. If so, Garrin steps over the body of the masked attacker, moving into the hallway. He stows his dagger and draws his longsword, attacking the first masked devil that he can.

To Hit with +1 Long Sword: [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21; Damage: sm - [1d8+1] = 1+1 = 2; lg - [1d12+1] = 4+1 = 5
Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#52 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

"Garrin! Get back! Those jackals will hack you to ribbons!"

His way barred to the north by the reckless Atlantean, the mighty-thewed Cruloc mutters a curse, springs toward the back door, and shoves his way into the corridor, meaning to widen the wedge keeping their egress open.

Roll to hit at +2 [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5
Damage w/spear [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6

"Crom's bowels! We are alive, though we may not be if we loiter in this devil-haunted pile!"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Xorxen does as commanded by Kiri, stabbing and running along with the others to make an escape path for those still behind him.

Attack w/ +2 Javelin of Men-khetu [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18 Dam [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Mako rests his quarterstaff on his chest to free his hands to invoke an arcane spell.
Cast: Light onto staff
He then moves to the rear entrance of the hovel to make his escape.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Inferno »

Tjoruy's Hovel, the Underground City
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Eight. Hours before dawn?, 19th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

In the nightmarish city under the earth, a grotesque masked ball of mayhem and murder has commenced.

"Go! Get out! Else they kill us all right here!" cries Zahra as she slaps Amethu from his bloodthirsty slumber.

Mako, returned to the waking world of masked murderers, conjures light from thin air atop his quarterstaff! Then he readies to flee, moving to the back door.

With a sizzling oath, Cruloc the barbarian is lacerated by an antique blade (-2hp) as he withdraws from the fray and joins the swelling logjam at the small backdoor.

The furious Cimmerian cannot reach the street where Xorzen impales another eerie attacker through the heart with the enchanted javelin of Men-khetu! Hot blood vomits from his chest as he falls to the cobbles.

Another masked under-dweller takes his place!

At Xorzen's side, Tjoruy his shambling brother in Osorus swings a golden mace at phantoms no one else can see.

Behind Tjoruy and Xorzen, Loche the Pict gashes a homicidal madman as Kiri slices past a deranged enemy with his trident. They cannot carve space enough to permit the others out of the hovel!

While inside the ramshackle abode, Garrin cannot escape through the front door. The son of Atlantis stabs the madman in the doorframe with his dagger but the chilling assassin does not fall.

Antique blades from a bygone age cut and stab with lethal fury, piercing Loche's and Kiri's defenses, and then their flesh! (4hp damage each)

More shadows emerge from the darkness. "They art here! This way!" echo shouts in the catacomb of twisting streets.

The adventurers realize with dread certainty: at Zargoth's command, the deranged population of an entire city is descending upon them!

Actions?!

Underground City Map:

Only lit areas are visible to one or more PCs. All else is from memory.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings): Image

PC Status: PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (Garrin, Kiri, Loche and Xorzen have breathed of the mists): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Scott308

#56 Post by Scott308 »

Loche

Fighting desperately for his life, Loche's blade once more bites deep. Thay wilnae stoap comin'! How come cannae ye juist pumpin' hing aff us!?
Jeweled Dagger +1/ +2 vs. Undead (20): [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20; Damage: [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5; Damage, Large: [1d3+1] = 2+1 = 3

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Feeling that death is inevitable if he continues on against this press of insane, masked flesh, Kiri tries something uncharacteristically desperate. Feinting to try to throw his assailant off balance, he suddenly straightens, slaps his hands together to form an improbable geometric pattern with his digits and casts Spider Climb. If he can't defeat this mob from the ground, perhaps he can attack from above.

"I'll be back," he says.
My thinking is for Kiri to break off and scramble up the wall to his left (exposing himself to an AoO) with the aim of reaching the roof of the building, finding some architectural element or piece of large rubble and casting it down on the attackers.

Question: if he casts Spider Climb, can he move this round, or does he cast this round, move next round? I assume the latter, but thought this might work like Feather Fall where it takes effect immediately upon casting. It never hurts to hope. :)
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Urson »

Zahra

Zahra moves to join Garrin at the door.

She stabs at the masked lunatic there with her javelin.
att [1d20+4] = 10+4 = 14
javelin [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8

If we move backward side-by-side, we can defend each other!
FA FO
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin nods, puts his back to Zahra, and strikes out at the closest foe. Using his dagger, as I assume he doesn't have room to use his longsword. If there is room, he would use his longsword instead.

To Hit with Dagger: [1d20] = 2; Damage: sm - [1d4] = 3; lg - [1d3] = 2

Not that it matters.....
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Xorxen shouts to Tjoruy as he fights on.

"We must make a path through these bastards so the others may follow!"

Attack w/ +2 Javelin of Men-khetu [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22 Dam [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6 oh my!

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”