Investigation 2 - Jason + Mac + Roy: A Mound of Trouble

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Investigation 2 - Jason + Mac + Roy: A Mound of Trouble

#41 Post by Rex »

Mac

"I think that is the plan, but we wanted to scout a bit tonight so we know the lay of the land."
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Taaz »

Lead the way sir
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac will head towards the mound to do some scouting, basically just wants to have seen everything so he isn't going in blind on the night of the new moon.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rex »

Mac

If there is some sort of path I will be on that, if not the driest route. Mac will have a flashlight out. He will keep his eyes open for snakes.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#46 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy will be not going to the snake infested mound.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Taaz »

Jason is going to follow Mac
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Bluehorse »

Roy Only :)
Barry walks outside and stands with Roy. There was an archeologist working around the mound a short time back.
There is a group wanting to preserve what is left of the mound. From what he told me, there is a little more than a 3rd of it that the previous landowner back in the 70s took off the back edge from here for reasons unknown. There was also apparently a cemetery on top at one point, but the same landowner removed the stones there. Weird huh? Who would do all that? Course I guess it is weird that you would put a cemetery on a mound like that anyway, seem to remember someone telling me once that Indian mounds were mass graves too. I'm no expert though. There is a private road over there...
he points to the east. I can call the owner of that trailer park over there and he will let us walk up that way and you can see the back side of the mound just a few yards away and pretty much walk up to the tail end of it. Wanna go the non-snakey way?
Mac & Jason. Each of you roll me a d100. Each roll me a moderate moves.
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Taaz »

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rex »

GreyWolfVT

#51 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy gives Barry a look as if to say why didn't you tell us that before. "Yes I do like that alternative. Lets go that way."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Bluehorse »

Back @ HQ
Investigation 2: Jason + Mac + Roy:
Mounds of Trouble
Aug. 10, 2018, 10am
Getting Hot, Humid

Well... I honestly thought this was going to be much less dramatic, but the dice roller decided otherwise! Buckle up!

Jason is soon trudging through the knee-high weeds. It is not long before his feet are disappearing through new growth and into the old growth that has yet to decay from last winter. The ground under that is very slick. Before long he finds himself slipping and stumbling as the ground offers little to secure footing even as the weeds seem to grab at his ankles and feet until he finds himself faceplanting into the ground. The good news, he found a place that is a little more clear than where he trekked through. The bad news is the first couple inches of the ground is a soupy mess of wet clay. Oh... and also [1d10] = 8 Cottonmouths turning and coiling up, opening their white mouths in warning.
CottonMouth2.JPG
CottonMouth2.JPG (81.91 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Roll impossible moves (30 or more) to get away if you want to get the heck out of dodge so to speak, or give me another course of action.
I would like to tell you there was a definite way out of a REALLY bad situation, but Jason is in as bad a situation you think. I do have a few things in mind here good and bad depending on what you do and how the roller treats you.

Mac trudges after Jason, following not far behind, And though he seems to have an easier time moving through the weeds and underbrush than Jason, that is not saying much, as he too stumbles, but does not fall, but does find himself also face to face with death in the form of a local Cottonmouth.
CottonMouth1.JPG
CottonMouth1.JPG (123.64 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Okay... so you are on uneasy footing but you are still on your feet. The cottonmouth you see is in fact just 1. Y'all just got real unlucky at the same time. You can roll a hard moves (20 or more) to get away or take another action. For not the cottonmouth seems to just be standing its ground, so you can go about this a couple different ways.
[b]Roy[/b] wrote: gives Barry a look as if to say why didn't you tell us that before. "Yes I do like that alternative. Lets go that way."
Barry holds up his hands. I know, I know... but you guys said you wanted to investigate where the drums are coming from at the mound... Well, you'll see.

After a quick phone call and a God Bless You, Barry guides Roy over to the private drive next door. As they walk forward the terrain of the back lot is more obvious as there is a distinct treeline. There is also a very heavy duty chainlink fence. When Barry walks Roy up to the partly cleared area, there is an equally heavy gate that seems to have recently been added to the fence with a small pull-off. The area is VERY overgrown, but Roy can make out through the trees and high hanging brush the back side of the mound where it is suffering from an extreme amount of erosion. The mound is made of red clay and looks like it would be impossible to climb and the brush is clearly much too thick to get around.

Barry points up. What I was told was that the landowner took some of the dirt for off here for some reason or another.
I have heard them say that some evidence of the graves from the cemetery have been seen towards the top too, but that is just rumor.
I pray for them often just in case.

Actions

Brownie Point Pool
Roy O'Dowd: 57/66  (**) (***)
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 61/ 69
David "Mac" McAuslan: 60/60 (**) 

** - No Ghost Dice on any one roll. (Xmas)
*** - +1d6 for the next use of the Ghost Trap
Last edited by Bluehorse on Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by Taaz »

Just no good options for Jason, I spent 5 brownie points and all i got was this stupid snakebite lol. However you wanna resolve it I will leave up to you but no Jason did not make that

Brownie Points: [5d6] = 13 Moves: [1d6] = 4 Ghost:[1d6] = 3
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Rex »

Mac

I want to spend as many brownie points as I can and use my no ghost die on any roll to move clear. So what would Mac roll?
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by Taaz »

Jason, is going to attempt to freeze, scream like a little girl, and then scramble away the least snakey path.
GreyWolfVT

#58 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy nods "Whats the deal with the fence and gate? If it's haunted why bother?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex wrote:Mac

I want to spend as many brownie points as I can and use my no ghost die on any roll to move clear. So what would Mac roll?
Okay. So you can spend as many as you like, but keep in mind that Brownie Points are basically your health. If you drop to 0, you are heading to the hospital. The book doesn't exactly have a death rule... so I am going with the pathfinder rules of going negative 1/2 your max. Spend wisely.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac dances out of the way of the cotton mouth, waving his arms all about.

Spends 7 brownie points (10d6 total) and uses no ghost roll bonus from Christmas.

Moves special [10d6] = 26 no ghost

Return to “Mission Archive”