Journey to the Mines

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Journey to the Mines

#41 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

Eyeing the slumbering/bleeding out ogre she lets out a held breath. Lets hope it was solitary. Drawing her sword she will approach to see if there is loot to be recovered.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak

Norzak spits on the dead Ogre's face, then wipes his bloody axe on the ground.

"Bah! If'n there be anuther one, it'll meet tha same fate. They're dumber than dirt.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by Tamerlaine »

The hides, skins from a variety of animals, are crudely stitched together and it is clear from the stench that ogres do not wash their clothing nor do they seem to bathe. Scars crisscross the ogre's body, revealing a life of battle. There is nothing on him in the way of treasure or wealth.

(OOC: Going to advance this a bit)

Behind the boulders where the ogre had lain in wait, there are two sacks, each made of the same crude animal hides as the monster's clothing. One contains 400 coins altogether of various metals (gold, silver, copper) and the other, blood stained and heavy, contains parts of a mountain goat and what looks like the bare thigh and leg of a human male as well as the head...a truly gruesome sight. Certainly not for those of weak constitutions!
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus is positively effervescent at the sight of the coins. "Our first treasure! How fine! Surely the first shining deposit in our inevitable horde!"

Hefting the sack, he says, "It's rather a lot. Do we want to haul this into the Mines? Every coin we carry in is a coin we can't carry out. Perhaps there's an easily identifiable place where we could bury it, and then collect it on our way back? We could make a map to it, with riddles and hidden runes!"
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Parson Paul smiles as he looks into the coin-sack. Indeed! This doesn't seem quite as dangerous as everyone made it out to be! I agree with burying the treasure near here, and retrieving it later. He looks at the other sack and adds, A different hole for this poor soul? he looks around for anything resembling a shovel.
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by spanningtree »

Gredna - Elf

What a bounty! The scent of the bag may reveal its location to scavengers... maybe bury without it?
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Parson Paul Paulson produces a large sack to swap out for the stinky one.

-1 large sack
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus hunts around for wide, flat rocks that could be used as makeshift shovels.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'm noticing that I hadn't deducted any rations for the day. Should we do that in the AM or PM? Also, did we eat that cat, in which case no rations should be deducted?
alver
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by alver »

I'd say yes, we did eat it as Fastolf was going to help skin it.

"We ain't got anything to dig with!" declares Cedric cheerfully.

"Say, let's take the gold pieces and divide them up and put them in our pockets. And then scrape a small hole in the ground and put the other coins in there and then roll a really big boulder on top! And you can put like a secret rune on the boulder Aldredus!"
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As he begins digging a shallow grave for the dead human using a flat rock, Paul chimes in. A rune is a swell idea, but if anything else noticed it, they'd be curious. Maybe we ought to put the rune on a boulder that faces where we stash the coins.
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by spanningtree »

Gredna - Elf

Grenda sheaths her sword and un-slings her bow, nochs an arrow. Covering the group, she'll keep an eye out for company. Maybe put the rune on the opposite side of the boulder... secrets through obscurity... With a shrug.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus likes the idea of making a mark on a boulder facing the burial site. "I will ask you not to observe the rites of scribing mystical runes too closely, as it is a hermetic secret most precious to my lodge." He then, back turned to the party to hide his activities, pulls out a knife and scratches the only doodle he knows on the rock face.
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by rossik »

The mark of the elevate spirit! Nicely done, my brother in the arts!
. Igneous will follow along. The gold is great, but something greater could come along
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by Tamerlaine »

The human remains are buried and the ogre's treasure divided up (gold amongst the adventurers, the rest in the ground). Perhaps a few words were said for the human remains. And the party moves on!

Nothing else happens the rest of the day. Camp is made for the night and there is the excitement not only for the previous battle with an ogre but for the knowledge that the next day brings the party to the mines of Khunmar!

New Feature: the Weather
Evening
Temperature: 33º F/1ºC
Conditions: Cloudy
Moon: Waxing crescent

Nothing happens during the night. Magic-users, please indicate wish spells have been memorized.

Weather
Day
Temperature: 35º F/2ºC
Conditions: Cloudy

It is mid-day and the party is getting closer to the towering snow-capped peaks. The path is rocky and narrow as it winds along sheer cliffs. Soon the party rounds a bend and the path levels out onto a flat area with the start of a bridge. Its a long gently arching bridge that spans a gorge, wide enough for two carts to pass each other by. It is made of white stone, crafted and set by dwarven hands. Along the short walled edges are figures on pedestals, stone statues of famous dwarves that ruled Dhondaruhm. Only a few remain whole while others have long since been reduced to rubble or removed, perhaps pushed over. There is evidence of the battle fought here so long ago; ancient scraps of armor, a battered shield here and there, rusted weapons and moldering standards.

Fastolf speaks solemnly as you approach the bridge. "Ah, the Bridge of Sorrows...the last stand of King Arndur Shimmerhand. Him and his small band of carls fought off the Lich Horde for a whole day on that bridge. Gave his people time to get away with their lives while giving up their own."

Actions?
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

OCC: Was Grenda able to re-learn sleep during the evening? How much gold was distributed to the players?

As they approach the bridge Grenda will keep an eye out for tracks or prints that might indicate recent use.
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by rossik »

Igneos will memorize Sleep again, as it proves to be very useful

The wizard look around, amazed by the signs of older times. Then, he realize that danger ma still lurks, and tells the party aboutr his concern about trolls and bridges. It may be old folk tales, but one can never be too much cautious.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus prepares Soubirous' Superior Perception of Thaumaturgical Flow, which hedge witches and bumpkin mages sometimes crudely refer to as "Detect Magic."

"I'm leaving myself vulnerable, in the hopes of providing such resources as only a trained magician might bear. I was taught that it was foolish to prepare offensive spells merely duplicate the abilities of those already trained in arms. Had I the capacity for a second bewitchment, I would choose something from the linguistic branch. But I think detecting such sorcerous energies as might ensnare us is the best use of my skills, do you not agree?"
alver
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by alver »

Cedric approaches the bridge in awe.

"Wow... Arndur Shimmerhand. These guys were heroes," he repeats, as if everybody else didn't already know. He takes a few hesitant steps along the bridge. "Uh, dwarfs make super strong construction, right Norzak? Cuz it's old but it's still good right?" He walks a bit further and stomps his tiny foot a couple of times.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak

"Dwarves does make tha best o most anythin, really, Cept fer magical items , an then agin they most prolly use dwarvish weapons fer

them magic blades n stuff. 'Ere, lemme have a look an I'll let ye know how solid tha bridge be, laddie.."
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Return to “The Mines of Khunmar (LL)”