Action Thread 4

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 4

#41 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:"Quick! The sleeping one! Bind it and maybe we can communicate with it."
"A commendable notion," offers Zafalia with with a respectful nod to Ilhalevar as she moves to bind the slept scarecrow before it awakens.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger nods in thanks to Al'Zur, then kicks the vegetable creature that fell away from him in a final act of disgust. He casts his eyes about for the arrows that seared thru the thing, then tries to distinguish any tracks it and its companions made. As the Thieves jump out at the ready, he eyes them curiously for a moment.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by saalaria »

Varkos will search the creatures for anything interesting.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by Alethan »

After Varkos searches them, Ilhalevar drags one of the over to the keyhole and sticks the first finger of it's hand in the keyhole.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur will continue his search for a key, working out from the key hole in a spiral, methodical search.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 11:00a

Some quick actions happen after the melee. Ilhalevar calls for someone to tie up the sleeper. Zafalia complies with some of her rope.

Varkos looks back from where the scarecrows came, realizing that that's the same way the party came, and doesn't like the dark passages now both ahead and beyond you all. There doesn't seem to be anything coming down that passage right now. Varkos then checks one of the scarecrows. Only to find it's all leafy with some parts seeming to be held together by mushrooms and stuff. They also seem to be randomly put together things, except for those notched out wooden "claws". More interested in finding the creatures' stuff, he is disappointed to find not even pockets. They carry nothing.

The Ranger raises an eyebrow at the somewhat surprising thieves. He and the elf find all four of their arrows, poking out of the creatures at various angles. The arrows are in good condition once the mossy slime from the scarecrows is wiped off of them. After getting his arrows, Al'Zur continues his search for the key.

Ilhalevar meanwhile, grabs a dead scarecrow, drags it over to the keyhole, puts it's finger in and turns. There's some creaking and slowly the round door on the opposite side of the passage opens, the mechanism is obviously a mix of mechanical and magical (impressing both the thieves and the magic users, the rest of you are duly unimpressed because it seems to move too slow) diverting the waterfall through a side channel that opens when the door does. For a second the waterfall noises stop, then you can hear (down below) the river start gushing out of some channel at the base of the waterfall. This leaves the ladder straight ahead waterfall free!

The ladder goes down 30' and it's a tight squeeze, but enough room for everyone to go down one at a time.

Let me know what you want to do, especially if there's things before heading down the ladder. If general consensus is go down, let me know who's first, otherwise I'll just use the marching order.

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 22/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Odo; 2- Korgul and Varkos; 3- SoT and Malak; 4- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 5- Zafalia and Wulfgard; 6- Rake
Consumables: Hooded lamp (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 52 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by tkrexx »

By the Wind in the Mountains, well done, Ilhalevar! The Ranger looks over the side of the once-waterfall, taking care not to slip.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar looks at the ladder no longer covered by the waterfall and smiles.

"Now THAT, I can climb."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by saalaria »

"Well done llhalevar."

OOC - Just to get I have this right - there is nothing through the door as it was this that blocked the water flow - correct?

Also - the only way back is the fungus ladder- there was nothing else obvious was there?
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by rredmond »

Good question, it's a confusing piece of machinery. The door opens, and so did a hole in the wall that diverts the water flow. The door itself seems to lead nowhere, just a blank wall. The diversion of water completely bypasses the waterfall, when you hear the water flowing below, it's at ground level, no fall.
There doesn't seem to be any other way in or out.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia gives the mage another respectful nod when she figures out how to the bypass the waterfall and gain access to the lower level. "Well done indeed, friend Ilhalevar!"

As the others make ready and prepare themselves to move out, the druidess notions to their bound captive. "And what do we do with this... one? Should we take it with us? Or perhaps try and communicate with it beforehand?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#52 Post by Vargr1105 »

Rake

"I don't think it would make a very good pet. I doubt it can even think. I say we put it out of its misery before we proceed further."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Argennian »

Vargr1105 wrote:Rake

"I don't think it would make a very good pet. I doubt it can even think. I say we put it out of its misery before we proceed further."

Zafalia shrugs indifferently. "Should we not at least attempt to determine if it can communicate, lest we forego an opportunity to learn more about the denizens of this place? If it does not speak the common tongue, do we have any means of magically communing with it?"

The druidess then crouches near one of the dead creatures and give it a much closer inspection. She tries to identify the mushrooms that hold it together as well as the green blood that flows from its wounds in an attempt to try and discover or learn something about their construction. She will also use a dagger to remove one of its "key fingers", for future application.

"Perhaps it is only that I am a druid, but I am more than curious about these strange creatures and their construction. It would appear that someone, or something is able to manipulate flora and fungi to very strange ends. Scarecrow mushroom men and fungus ladders... Am I the only one that finds this odd?" she queries as she looks to the others.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by tkrexx »

Indeed no. The Ranger looks back from the waterfall. I am unaccustomed to war with plants. Some of our weapons, mine in particular, had little effect on these creatures. If things continue in this manner, our future battle plans may need adjusting. I am for a pause, Priestess, if you think an attempt at communication may be beneficial.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by saalaria »

Varkos stands quietly waiting for someone to take the lead or direct him what to do. He cleans his sword thoroughly whilst he waits....
Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by Solinor »

Wulfgard holds his mace before himself in prayer, hoping some inspiration from his god will give him direction.

OOC: does my god talk to me? :)
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur also stands and listens to the proposal from Emmett, wondering just what his thoughts were. Not really wanting to argue the point he simply enters the conversation.

"Good Luck with that, I doubt you will get a grunt from that." pointing to their captive. "By all means try, but you got five minutes."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 11:05a

The Ranger and Magic User peek over the side and see that the ladder is runged and looks sturdy. The lip of the waterfall is edged, so it’s easy to get up close without slipping. And with the rungs on the ladder, it looks like it wouldn’t be an issue for folks to get down without slipping. Now that there isn’t water gushing into your face that is.

The druidess is able to easily remove a wooden key-finger from one of the creatures. All their fingers seem to be notched exactly alike. The dwarf remains quiet, while the elf encourages moving on.

The creature then begins to struggle with it’s bonds…

Sent a bunch of PMs, if KZ isn’t back in a week I’m thinking the dwarf stalks off and leaves the party as opposed to replacing the character… make your party more manageable, though I’ll entertain discussion on that ;) Next actions?

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 22/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Odo; 2- Korgul and Varkos; 3- SoT and Malak; 4- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 5- Zafalia and Wulfgard; 6- Rake
Consumables: Hooded lamp (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 50 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:... The druidess is able to easily remove a wooden key-finger from one of the creatures. All their fingers seem to be notched exactly alike. The dwarf remains quiet, while the elf encourages moving on.

The creature then begins to struggle with it’s bonds…
Zafalia screws a sneer onto her visage after her inspection and moves back over the scarecrow hostage. She puts the wooden key finger in her belt pouch and looks over to the others. "Whomever that wants to should procure one of these keys now. We may have need of them again..."

The druidess then crouches down near their hostage, puts the tip of her spear at its throat and lowers her voice yet speaks firmly in common. "Tell me then, what in the nine hells are you and whom is your master?"

If there is no response, she will use Druidic Cant to try and communicate with it.

OOC: adding wooden key finger to inventory! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo wakes up from his supor and looks up and down the shaft with the ladder to see what he can see.

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”