Chpt. 4 - The Tower of Roses

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chpt. 4 - The Tower of Roses

#41 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bjorn want to bash skulls but knows better also sheer curiosity has him with Andover spinning the wheel. [1d22] = 15
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by greyarea »

Shen steps back when the wheel is spun. He'd hate to be caught in rogue magics...
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Ianin watches the spinning wheel with great curiosity at what will happen next, a smile is on his face.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Grognardsw »

Andover the ranger spins the Wheel. Around it goes and stops at The Comet.
A sense of foreboding settles over the ranger. He feels he faces a great challenge of opportunity, though in what form he does not yet know.

Bjorn the cleric cannot resist the call of fickle fate as well, and his spin of the Wheel stops on The Rogue. The dwarf feels a sense of betrayal yet does not know why."Are you okay friend?" asks Durandal the cleric. From the edge of the room Raquinel the magic-user looks on in concern.

"It appears our friends are taking a break for games of chance," comments Idwellin the druid, standing next to Raquinel.

"My luck in this place has been damnable," utters Raquinel. "I'll not take any unnecessary chances now."
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Ianin, seeing the changes over the other two cannot help himself, "For the sake of knowledge I shall submit myself to the game." He gives the others a wink and spins the wheel.

[1d22] = 11
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Grognardsw »

Ianin the conjurer spins the Wheel. It turns a few times and settles on
The Skull. A Death materializes and points its boney finger at Ianin.

Actions?
Counting straight down the DMG 1e Deck list, 11 is the dread Defeat Death or Be Forever Destroyed. :shock: Fight a Minor Death.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by tkrexx »

Flint shuns the wheel of chance. I am too accustomed to controlling my own destiny, and making my own luck.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by tkrexx »

Approaching the wheel slowly, Honnilee asks in a soft voice, It is a game, right? She reaches out and pushes the wheel, hardly realizing what she's done.
Marcel
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#49 Post by Marcel »

Poltux follows Honnilee's soft voice over and spins the wheel when her turn is finished.
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by greyarea »

Shen can't believe he's doing this, especially after burning his mouth and throat with acid at the pools, but he spins when he can...
[1d22] = 20
There's that critical hit... :?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zhym »

Andover's eyes nearly pop out of his skull when he sees Death.

"Are there any more swigs left in that jug of pink stuff?" he asks. He figures he'll need to be in top shape for whatever awaits.
Grognardsw wrote: Counting straight down the DMG 1e Deck list, 11 is the dread Defeat Death or Be Forever Destroyed. :shock: Fight a Minor Death.
Near the top of the list of phrases you'd only hear in AD&D: A "minor" death.
GreyWolfVT

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bjorn too concerned with the sudden changes in his feelings and mind does not know who to trust and backs himself into a corner.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by tkrexx »

Somehow for reasons she can't explain, Honnilee realizes exactly what her spin offers. In an uncharacteristic act of boldness, she darts in front of Ianin and shouts at the black figure approaching. Go away! We don't want you here! We're trying to avoid you, not trying to find you! Get out! Shoo!
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Grognardsw »

The Minor Death moves with preternatural quickness, its scythe slicing Ianin with unerring accuracy. It is cold, that blade (7 HP damage). The conjurer’s blood flows then freezes. He falls back, fearing his fate is sealed.

Andover the ranger backs up, calling for the pink healing stuff to face what could be their last battle. Bjorn the paranoid backs into a corner. The others almost seem transfixed by the surrealness and are drawn into spinning the Wheel of Balance.

Poltux the half-orc fighter spins the Wheel forcefully. It turns several times and settles on The Fool.
The warrior suddenly feels weakened in body and mind, as if knowledge and skills gained through the school of hard knocks have been shaken loose. (Now a 1st level fighter, max hit points.) Poltux’s eyes widen as The Wheel, after stopping on The Fool, spins again of its own accord. It turns but once and stops on…
The Donjon…
Poltux second Wheel spin [1d22] = 22
Poltux disappears that instant, finding himself in a red misty cavern. Also in this cavern are four three-headed, three-armed, three-legged hermaphrodite giants (Marcel PM forthcoming.)
Shen takes his turn at the Wheel. Round and round and on… The Idiot. The monk ponders the meaning, finding it difficult to grasp.
In fact, his mind seems more dull than normal (4 Int. points lost.) Shen scratches his head with his big ram ring. He like the ring, it is shiny and packs a whallop.

Honilee the hobbit takes her turn on the Wheel of Balance. It barely makes it around and stops on The Fates.
Honilee experiences an epiphany, understanding how the skeins of time, space and chance intertwine to weave each person their Fate. The altruistic hobbit knows what she must do, but not the tragedy of it. She darts in front of Ianin and shouts at the Death about to destroy the conjurer. “Go away! We don't want you here! We're trying to avoid you, not trying to find you! Get out! Shoo!”

The Minor Death stops, stares at the hobbit, and abruptly disappears. Another materializes in its place, pointing its boney finger at Honnilee. The hobbit’s heart sinks.

Durandal the cleric steps forward, his unshakeable faith in Donblas the Justice Maker moving him to chance the scales of the Cosmic Balance. He spins and The Wheel of Balance stops at…
The Moon!
Wheel spin [1d22] = 2
Number of wishes from Moon spin: [1d4] = 4

Durandal cries such is his happiness. Donblas has smiled upon him for his years of service, and his decade of statue imprisonment. The cleric feels the power of his God flow through him, granting Durandal the power of wishes.

“I wish that the Minor Death facing Honnilee be banished and never return!” And it is so.
“I wish Raquinel to be healed of her paralysis!” And it is so.
“I wish for the return of Poltux to our presence unharmed!” And it is so.

Durandal pauses, looking at the party, seeing they are accounted for. “I feel I have another wish,” he says hesitantly.
Actions!
- Well, that was quite a round.
- The Fool spin comes with a mandatory re-spin. My interpretation of imprisonment is, I thought, appropriate.
- Shen Int. loss [1d4] = 4 Shen down to 8 Int.
- Minor Death scythe [2d8] = 7 7 to Ianin
- Per my OOC comment, I allowed the Fate spin to be applicable to another per the spinner’s wishes. Honnilee, true to spirit, chose to save Ianin (well played TK). Alas, such an action opens the helper to a Minor Death of her own.
- Durandal spun: Wheel spin [1d22] = 2 Wow. Moon = 1d4 Wishes.
- Number of wishes from Moon spin: [1d4] = 4 Has the Dice Roller reformed?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Zhym »

"I'd like to suggest that the remaining wish be that the next hostile monster we meet is a blind, elderly, one-armed, rich goblin who carries all his wealth with him in an easily-transportable form," says Andover with a grin. "But I won't."

"Perhaps the remaining wish would be of most use in pinpointing the location of the runestaff. Maybe a complete map of the Palace marking the location of the runestaff?"
GreyWolfVT

#56 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bjorn still semi-paranoid "Just wish for the Runestaff to be here in our possession."

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by greyarea »

Shen says, Wish for something good..., stupidly.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by tkrexx »

Or that the effects of the wheel be undone, Flint offers, seeing only disadvantage to what he perceived as a foolish move. We were this close to annihilation, and even with a Wish at our disposal, I fear the bounty we reap will cost us dear.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by tkrexx »

Honnilee stands frozen, breathing hard, eyes agape. To be this close to her own death is one thing, but to actually SEE it...
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Ianin takes his own supply of healing pink liquid and drinks it. He gives Honnilee a surprised look, he is not sure why she would decide to confront Ianin's own death and take it upon herself... He does not remark on the last remaining wish, instead, he will check over Raquinel, making sure her paralysis is truly cured.

Return to “War is Hell - Palace of the Silver Princess”