Action Thread #12: The Lower Valley

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread #12: The Lower Valley

#41 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Hold up, guys." Ozborn whispers."With whatever's behind that door making all that scratching racket, perhaps I can move closer unnoticed and see what it is before we approach." Ozborn is not at all certain he can successfully do this, but such a concern has never stopped him before.

If agreed, he'll ask the party to stop about 70 feet back from the door and wait while he moves up and tries to peek in the opening, swords ready, hopefully unnoticed. If it's rats or some other creature without opposable thumbs, he'll simply shut the door. If it's a werewolf or ...dwarves wearing bear claw shoes? he'll try to sneak back and warn the others.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh stops when he hears Oz' suggestion and gently stops Og advancing if he appears not to have heard.
ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by ragnboneshopper »

The party starts to approach the door from which they have heard the sound of scraping claws on stone, but Ozborn holds them up, offering to use his gift at stealth to investigate without being seen. As the rest of the party waits an easy stone's throw away, he creeps forward, absolutely noiselessly, like a ghost.

Ozborn, thief skill: [1d100] = 61 (Hide in shadows: 30%)

Ozborn, thief skill: [1d100] = 2 (Move silently: 30%)

Barely breathing, you all see Ozborn casually taking in what he can see with the limited light streaming in from the archway. Stonjuz's flickering torch likely does him little good, as the open part of the door is pointed toward the outside. Then you see him start at something he has seen, suddenly, though barely perceptibly to anyone who does not know him better.

PM Sent

Actions/responses?
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by onlyme »

The hair on Malone's head starts to raise a bit when he sees the reaction. Nothing good will come of this, he is sure this time...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Composing himself as quickly as possible, Ozborn politely addresses the entity in the room, hopefully just loud enough for the other party members to hear.

"Ah! Hello good sir… dwarf? I hope I'm not disturbing you and your rats. You have so many. So many rats. Very impressive. Are they friendly?" (I figure this is about all he'd have time to say before something happens, reaction-wise.)

As he speaks, he keeps one hand on the door, ready to slam it shut. With the other hand that is hidden by the wall he is peering around, he motions for the party to stay quietly where they are, fearing the light and sound of clanking armor may cause alarm. He wants to see where this will go before doing anything rash.

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Grognardsw »

Hearing of rats, Thurinor the elf whispers to Swillbosh and Ogirdor, "Ready your oil should packs of rats attack."

Thurinor makes a mental note to buy oil if he gets back to civilization. Somehow it's not in his backpack.
ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Day 8, Mid Morning: Rats (and Who Else?) in the Shadows

From inside the room, all hear a hesitant but very deep voice speak slowly in answer to Ozborn: "Yes, many rats, and they are illimitably hungry. It is funny, they do not find me very appealing I am afraid. But they adore good company. Are you good company? Please, come in and sit with me a while, and we will talk. I insist on showing you every hospitality. You must have traveled far to find me here..."

The commotion of rodent bodies and the scraping of rat claws over stone seems to lessen.

PM Sent
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Ah!... Oh!... I suppose I am a decent conversationalist. I must ask, however, a question that has just this moment occurred to me: what do your rats eat exactly? They are lovely creatures, but I'll admit openly, I have a slight, nagging fear they will mistake me for lunch were I to enter the room..." Ozborn remains standing at the door. Were his companions closer, they would see a single bead of perspiration form on his brow.

"But you, sir! Let's discuss you! I find you fascinating, existing here alone, underground, when exit to sunlight is just down this hall." He gestures down the way the party had been traveling, then replaces his hand on the door, "How do you subsist? What is your nature,sir?"

Oh, boy...
ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Sorry guys, been up against a hard deadline, head down for the last week... :oops:

The voice from within the room chuckles, a sound like gravel sliding down a hillside. "I have no more need of victuals, which is surely why I am such poor company to my pets. But here, you can do me a favor, and if you prove yourself trustworthy, I will share with you a secret that a lurker in dark places such as yourself may find helpful..."

Ozborn, the scene inside the room does not change from the last PM I sent. Are the rest of you maintaining your position further up the corridor, or do any of you intend to inch forward quietly? Readying oil as Thurinor suggests? I see that Swil and Og have oil.

Right now I have you holding position, but I don't want to assume...
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh remains motionless, fearful his large bulk makes him less than quiet in this kind of situation!
Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#52 Post by Sir Clarence »

While Andrin listens breathlessly to the conversation, he quietly reaches into his bag and gets out a bit of mistletoe. Just in case....
zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor will move downstairs as quietly as he can, getting a flask of oil from his inventory as he moves. He will move just close enough to Oz as needed to remain hidden from whoever lies beyond.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Well, if you need a favor and it is in my power to grant it, you have but to name it sir! I'd be happy to help in whatever way I am able. Perhaps I can run out and get some food for your pets?" says Oz, smiling. With the hand behind the door jam he attempts to retrieve a door spike surreptitiously from his pack. He wonders if being devoured by rodents lies in his near future...
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by onlyme »

Guys, I am totally confused by what is happening. I missed a sentence or something, but can't seem to follow the dialog.

I am assuming Malone is hanging back with halberd in hand waiting for some signal,sign, something... I dont think he would have picked up on anything happening inside the doorway so far. Please let me know if that is not accurate. thanks
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by ragnboneshopper »

The rest of the party makes preparations for a potential fight, waiting breathlessly, while Ozborn stealthily pulls an iron spike from his pack.

"Oh, it is certainly in your power," comes the darkly amused voice from within the door. "That is, if you are made of the right stuff. It is simple really. Bring me the head of the reigning Horse Lord of the Kharg. Do that, and I will share with you my great secret. You will never need eat or sleep again. And here, my token of promise! You must wear it until the task is complete, then bring it back to me with the Horse Lord's head..."

PM Sent
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Well that is quite an interesting offer. Let me consider it... hmm, no thanks!" With that, Ozborn slams the door as quickly as he can, braces his foot against the bottom of it, then attempts to jam the spike in the jam somewhere to seal it shut. "A little help holding the door please, gentlemen, while I seal it up! There are many many hungry rats inside. I think they might be too much for us all at once." He fervently hopes there isn't another exit from the room.

Ooc: Sorry, fellows. A lot of this holdup has been my fault. Trying to move it along now so we can all play. :)
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Grognardsw »

Thurinor, elf

Thurinor rushes to press against the door to keep it shut while the iron spike is applied.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by onlyme »

Malone does likewise...

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by saalaria »

Swil approaches and stands ready to fight if the rats come through. He will help with the door if it starts to give.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”