Open Games License: Wotc

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Open Games License: Wotc

#41 Post by rredmond »

You failed your Save vs. Twitter black rabbit hole Dave. :)
Of course every spin master in the WotC PR department is on the job at this point. Soon it’s going to be hard to know what’s real and what’s fantasy.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Inferno »

rredmond wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:03 am Soon it’s going to be hard to know what’s real and what’s fantasy.

Seems fitting for a fantasy rpg corporation.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by rredmond »

:wink:
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rex »

That was already true I think.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by rredmond »

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Norjax »

They are obsessed with this:

No Hateful Content or Conduct. You will not include content in Your Licensed Works that is harmful,
discriminatory, illegal, obscene, or harassing, or engage in conduct that is harmful, discriminatory, illegal,
obscene, or harassing. We have the sole right to decide what conduct or content is hateful, and you
covenant that you will not contest any such determination via any suit or other legal action.

Some of these definitions are in constant flux. What is obscene? Claiming an invading orc army must be exterminated? What is harmful? Drawing a picture of an obese pixie?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rex »

Far to loose on definitions and they are the sole arbitrator. I could point out a ton of stuff from D&D over the years that could meet any number of those definitions. This continues to be mess and I suspect it will for some time.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Inferno »

For me, that's the least of WotC's crimes. I mean, whoever owns D&D has been defining morality since the satanic panic. SSDD.

(From 1982, and this article from 2018)
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rex »

My issue isn't with them defining it for themselves. My issue is them telling others how it has to be in their games.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Inferno »

Agree! But that goes beyond defining morality. They have no right to tell others how anything has to be in their games. :)
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Norjax »

Inferno wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:22 pm For me, that's the least of WotC's crimes. I mean, whoever owns D&D has been defining morality since the satanic panic. SSDD.
(From 1982, and this article from 2018)
I don’t have a problem with this. They can make D&D a milk toast version of its heyday; It’s their IP. This ^ example is for writing that would be published as a Dungeons and Dragons product (module, Dragon magazine article, etc.). What WOTC is attempting to do is claim any product published under the OGL and its myriad of branches may be “cancelled” based on WOTC’s “morality” definitions.

I’ve seen a lot of “Just use Pathfinder or Dungeon Crawl Classics” comments. Both use the OGL. Anything published as a DCC product must use the same OGL. Goodman Games has a pre-approval requirement before branding any product as DCC-compatible, but it’s pretty informal. There is a publication called Hubris: A World of Visceral Adventure that was approved by Goodman Games despite its visceral nature (graphic gore, evil game content, language, etc.). It’s marketed as DCC Compatible. Hubris would probably not meet WOTC’s standards.

What WOTC has done is forced the creation of competing game systems; the exact reason the OGL was established to prevent. The OGL authors knew that most players will stick with a system they are comfortable and invested in. The current OGL, with its cross-genre compatibility, promotes just that. One can take any OGL module, monster, magic item, etc. and with little or no modification utilize it in whatever OGL game they prefer to play. WOTC is destroying this.
Last edited by Norjax on Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Inferno »

Norjax wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:56 pmWhat WOTC is attempting to do is claim any product published under the OGL and its myriad of branches may be “cancelled” based on WOTC’s “morality” definitions.
Correct, because WotC believe they are now licensors of game rules, which they aren't. That's the real problem from which everything stems. This isn't about morality clauses. It's about thinking you have ownership over something you don't, which permits you to enforce your morality clause on it. The morality clause is just the symptom of the disease.

WotC's notion that they can retroactively deauthorize a perpetual OGL is what should be cancelled... in court.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Norjax »

Inferno wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:53 pm WotC's notion that they can retroactively deauthorize a perpetual OGL is what should be cancelled... in court.
Let's hope so.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rex »

Ultimately it can only be resolved in court, which I think Wotc wants to avoid. Not just because they are on shaky ground legally but also because it would be very bad press.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#55 Post by Scott308 »

From what I have read, perpetual does not mean it cannot be revoked. It simply means it does not expire. That makes it different from a license that expires in one year, or that allows you to publish 10,000 items using the license. With those, the license expires on a certain date, or after a specific period of time, or after a specified criterion is reached. But the original granter could revoke that license if they choose (or if certain conditions are met).

What people want is for WotC to deem 1.0 irrevocable, which is what the original drafters believed it to be, but because that exact term was not used, it may be revoked. This is what Wizards is trying to do.

And whether they are on shaky ground or not, I'm afraid WotC might win if it goes to court, simply because they (Hasbro) can throw enough money at it to cause smaller publishers to drop any suits. As a 1.3 billion dollar company, Wizards could take $13 million, just one percent of sales, and effectively shut down any/ all legal challenges by tying them up in court until the small publishers drop the suit or go bankrupt.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Norjax »

Scott308 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:10 am As a 1.3 billion dollar company, Wizards could take $13 million, just one percent of sales, and effectively shut down any/ all legal challenges by tying them up in court until the small publishers drop the suit or go bankrupt.
Lawfare Tactics.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Inferno »

Scott308 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:10 am And whether they are on shaky ground or not, I'm afraid WotC might win if it goes to court, simply because they (Hasbro) can throw enough money at it to cause smaller publishers to drop any suits.

Sure. Our legal system (like our medical system and our political system) advantages the wealthy. But as Rex said, WotC still don't want to go to court because:

-They have no legal standing. It's questionable whether you can copyright game mechanics in the first place, let alone unilaterally cancel a binding license/contract. Can you cancel open software licenses? If WotC lose in court, they lose almost everything. Court is defcon 1 for WotC.

-They'll definitely lose the PR battle. Fan backlash has already proven a threat. Can you imagine the authors of the OGL testifying against WotC?

So WotC really don't want to go to court, hence this week's latest charm offensive.

US has the right idea. Ignore this nonsense. Continue to use the OGL. Make WotC take you to court.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rex »

Agreed, they are going to do everything they can to avoid a lawsuit. They are the Goliath and they know it, but they don't want to create a David either.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by dmw71 »

“What’s a Gary Gygax?” :lol:

A Message From WotC About OGL
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --