OOC Chat — "Hoshihige Most Auspicious Inn"

Starbeard
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chat — "Hoshihige Most Auspicious Inn"

#361 Post by Leitz »

Starbeard, I think Kunpu's character sheet is updated correctly per your directions. Please review and let me know if I missed anything. The only changes were in Skills and Technique.

Time to go to work. I'll draft an initial scene for Kunpu, and if anyone wants to play off that then it'll make the transition in easier.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#362 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Honestly i have no idea what to do with my XP probably just save it up and not use it right now i guess i d k.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Leitz »

If you go here, and put "japanese" in the search entry, you can get some interesting options. Note that I am not affiliated with the site at all, just found out about it.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Starbeard »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 pm Honestly i have no idea what to do with my XP probably just save it up and not use it right now i guess i d k.
That's fine. Skill ranks are quick and cheap to increase, but the real money is in raising your traits, which take some XP hoarding before you can do anything.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#365 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, I notice I'm supposed to get 1 free raise for Water spells - oops...

I also have Technique Rank 1 - 1 free raise for Air spells, I'm not sure what that is, I think it was supposed to be the 1 free raise for Water spells?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:11 am Hmm, I notice I'm supposed to get 1 free raise for Water spells - oops...

I also have Technique Rank 1 - 1 free raise for Air spells, I'm not sure what that is, I think it was supposed to be the 1 free raise for Water spells?
Yes, that should be a free raise to water spells.
Leitz wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm
Captain Kinkajou wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm Am I correct in thinking Glory works the same way as Honour i.e. that, with the award of 5 Glory, Aiko's Glory goes from 1;0 to 1;5?
Page 61: Yes.
Yep. The only difference is that Honor goes from Rank 0 to Rank 5, while Glory can theoretically reach Rank 10 or even go into the negatives.
Captain Kinkajou wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm Rolling to impress Lord Nasu:
Iaijutsu + Reflexes (7k4) TN15 (2 raises): [_7d10] = (1+8+7+3+7+10+7)=43
Exploding 10: [1d10] = 10
Exploding 10: [1d10] = 6

So, that's 26+8+7+7 = 48 vs a TN25 (due to the two raises) - I should have done more raises but who knew![/ooc]
FYI, you can only raise as many times as you have ranks in Void (p. 102). I think it's a rule intended to keep Void from being a dump stat.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Starbeard »

Captain Kinkajou wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm I confess I haven't been keeping particularly good track of Aiko's Honour but I think, with the two points recently awarded, Aiko's Honour is now 3;7. Is that right?
Yep, Rank 3 with 7 boxes is what I have too.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#368 Post by Starbeard »

Thanks for the input everyone. I think most of the day's events will be pretty straightforward, then we'll move to evening. Classes are starting here on Monday, so I've been having to focus on getting my class plans ready. Hopefully I'll be in a position to wrap up the day and take care of your character actions by midweek.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Starbeard »

Continued apologies, I'm still lagging behind from getting classes going smoothly. As expected, the start of this semester has been rocky for just about everyone, it seems.

In the meantime, I've noticed that Amazon Prime has a new cartoon of Dororo, an old 60's comic by Osamu Tezuka (the guy who did Astroboy and Kimba). It's set during the Warring States period in 16th century Japan, but has demons and yokai, and magic.

I haven't started watching it yet, but thought if any of you are interested Tezuka and/or Japanese-themed sword and sorcery you might want to give it a try.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#370 Post by ffilz »

Yea I saw that. I might have a look see.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#371 Post by ffilz »

I just watched the first two episodes of Dororo. It's quite good so far.
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#372 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Starbeard wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:45 am Continued apologies, I'm still lagging behind from getting classes going smoothly. As expected, the start of this semester has been rocky for just about everyone, it seems.
No sweat Starbeard, take whatever time you need. I've been slammed myself so am in no particular hurry.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by Starbeard »

Howdy, all!

Let's chat a bit about how to move forward with the game.

The party's main, superficial goal has been reached: you've successfully made it to Beiden Pass in time for the Festival of Sorrowful Passing 11 days from now. Of course, that goal won't truly be accomplished until the festival actually happens, and you send off prayer lanterns for your ancestors at the Lake of Sorrows, but let's not split hairs.

So from here on out, you have free reign to do whatever you like in the scenario. Keep in mind that this isn't a linear adventure, there are no story beats you have uncover or specific things you are required to investigate in order to move forward. There is just an overall timeline of events that will occur between now and the Festival (and beyond), which of course may or may not be affected by your own actions (and some I think that definitely won't/can't). It all depends on what happens in play.

There are definitely several conspiracies, mysteries and adventures afoot, but they aren't all necessarily interrelated, and we couldn't even resolve all of them before the Festival anyway, so my suggestion is to just find a hook that sounds interesting and pursue that. If you have a bee in your bonnet about a mystery and think you know where to start investigating, give that a go; and if you just want to explore an unknown place that's likely crawling with monsters, give that one a go.

Plus, I am making heavy use of encounter and location tables to fill in the gaps, which have already taken the game in unexpected directions a couple of times. Whatever you do, I'm sure something will happen to occupy our time.

Don't forget the rumor threads you've already explored before (link: Current Rumors and Events post).

Here is a basic layout of Beiden Pass, with short descriptions you've learned about the main locations: Gazetteer of Beiden Pass
GreyWolfVT

#374 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Personally I can see Osaru going after Shota (I think that was the name not looking back) the man he once knew that is now killing merchants and other such folk. But that would be more of a personal vendetta or rather goal of trying to capture or kill him before he murders any more folk.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#375 Post by Rex »

Kenta doesn't really have any personal goals, so he would support the others in what they want to do. Certainly stopping Shota would be something he is up for.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by Starbeard »

Updated correction on the Beiden Pass locations guide: I said that the daimyo and the monastery are on fairly neutral-good terms, but that's wrong. Not sure why I said that (probably not looking at my notes closely enough).

In fact, the daimyo and the monastery have always been at odds. They control several villages he believes should be his ("monks should pray and let the bushi rule the land"), and so is always trying to pressure them into handing over the keys by refusing donations, acting blasphemously, etc. This is a big contrast to his father, who was a pious supporter of the monastery.

It's actually the mountain shrine (location 3) that has a very strong relationship with the daimyo. Your impression of the local politics is that there are 4 sides: the Castle+Mountain Shrine, the Monastery, the Scorpion, and the Lion.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#377 Post by ffilz »

Do you think Shota might be in the pass? I say we investigate some of the goings on in the pass.

Sean, could you mark the "not on the map" places on the map?

Senichi would at least like to pay a visit to the mountain shrine and talk to the shugenja priest and see if there are any more clues about any of the goings on here. And then a visit to the Dragon Spring Caves to see if possibly they are a source of some of the wrongs here.
GreyWolfVT

#378 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well it was said that Shota is staying in location 2 on the last map in Quiet Village. So that would be a place to start looking.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:15 pm Do you think Shota might be in the pass? I say we investigate some of the goings on in the pass.

Senichi would at least like to pay a visit to the mountain shrine and talk to the shugenja priest and see if there are any more clues about any of the goings on here. And then a visit to the Dragon Spring Caves to see if possibly they are a source of some of the wrongs here.
Oh sorry, by "not on map" I mean they're way off the map. If you travel off the right side of the map and keep going for a while, you'll eventually reach the ruined temple, and after another long while you'll eventually reach Soft Wind Village. I'll make that more clear in the map, maybe with arrows.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#380 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:22 pm
ffilz wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:15 pm Do you think Shota might be in the pass? I say we investigate some of the goings on in the pass.

Oh sorry, by "not on map" I mean they're way off the map. If you travel off the right side of the map and keep going for a while, you'll eventually reach the ruined temple, and after another long while you'll eventually reach Soft Wind Village. I'll make that more clear in the map, maybe with arrows.
Oh, ok. I do also want to go back and investigate the ruined temple, with a stronger force to repel the goblins should we encounter more.

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”