Act IV: Pandora's Planet

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Act IV: Pandora's Planet

#321 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

The doctor activates his tricorder to see if he pickups the life readings of the Slaver race in the next room.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Starbeard »

Coxa II: Inside the Slaver Outpost
Stardate 2271.3.24: 1863h

Countdown on Chowdhury's chronometer: 75 minutes

You back out of the room slowly, phasers trained on the Slaver lost out of time. It does not move from its position, but continues to point its weapon at you and shout as you leave through the door. From the relative safety of the corridor, Nadix prepares his Universal Translator and decodes the ancient alien's speech patterns. "…TRESPASSERS! YOU WILL NOT LEAVE HERE ALIVE! HALT IN THE NAME OF THE COUNCIL OF EMPERORS! IDENTIFY YOURSELVES AS SLAVE OR ENEMY! IF YOU ARE WORTHLESS YOU WILL BE DESTROYED AS FILTH!…" …and so forth, a wild stream of vindictive threats and accusations.

Ryerson fires up his tricorder and leans it into the room for a reading before the defensive beams are fully recharged. Curiously, his tricorder records no life signs at all within the room.

The defensive lasers are now reset, and the Slaver can be heard shuffling about in the hidden corner of the room, barking at the intruders.

Actions?

• Gareb Endilev — DX 13 (+1), MN 9, LK 13 (+1), CT 15/15 — HtH 4, plasma pistol (12/12)
  • Nadix Ar Eth — DX 16 (+4), MN 14 (+2), LK 9, CT 11/12 (life belt destroyed)— HtH 2, phaser II (24/24)
  • Dr. Ned Ryerson — DX 13 (+1), MN 7 (-2), LK 12, CT 12/12 — HtH 3, phaser II (24/24)
  • Ensign Li— DX 13 (+1), MN 9, LK 7 (-2), CT 0/15 — phaser II (24/24) KILLED BY URSUNOID
  • Ensign Chowdhury — DX 11, MN 11, LK 17 (+5), CT 13/13 (life belt 3/5) — phaser II (24/24)
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:

"Hmm. One might theorize this Slaver to be a hologram. Let me test this theory."

"We come in peace. Please identify yourself,"
Nadix intones, readying an object to toss into the supposed intangible projection.

("shuffling in the corner" as if moving from its location?)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#324 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

"Commander, I'm not picking up any life signs in that room. Perhaps they are wearing belts similar to yours that masks their presence."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by rredmond »

Commander Gareb Endilev

Gareb keeps his weapon at the ready, but flips open his tricorder to check on whether or not there are any photons, forcefields, or holomatter in the room to account for the slaver being a projection.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Starbeard »

Inferno wrote:("shuffling in the corner" as if moving from its location?)
Yes, it sounds like it is pacing back and forth, but not leaving its hidden of the room.

Stardate 2271.3.24: 1864h

Countdown on Chowdhury's chronometer: 74 minutes

Huddled at the doorway, the crew of the Janus test the reactions of the Slaver specimen.

Endilev edges his tricorder as close to the room's entrance as he dares, taking a focused reading of holomatter particles. The tricorder affirms his suspicion: the room is awash with holomatter and displaced photons.

Next to him, Nadix calls out to the being. "We come in peace. Please identify yourself." The being ceases its aggressive ranting for a moment, then responds. "YOU ARE TRESPASSERS! THERE IS NO PEACE FOR TRESPASSERS, YOU WILL BE ENSLAVED OR DESTROYED! WHICH WILL IT BE?"

While they converse, Ryerson wonders aloud if the Slaver might be wearing one of the wondrous belts they had found earlier. Chowdhury does his best to picture the Slaver in his mind, and confirms that he was wearing one of those belts.

Actions?

Rolls…
Endilev MN test (-5 to roll for using tricorder):
Endilev MN (9) check: [3d6] = 12
Total = 7. Passed, no extra time taken.
  • Gareb Endilev — DX 13 (+1), MN 9, LK 13 (+1), CT 15/15 — HtH 4, plasma pistol (12/12)
  • Nadix Ar Eth — DX 16 (+4), MN 14 (+2), LK 9, CT 11/12 (life belt destroyed)— HtH 2, phaser II (24/24)
  • Dr. Ned Ryerson — DX 13 (+1), MN 7 (-2), LK 12, CT 12/12 — HtH 3, phaser II (24/24)
  • Ensign Li— DX 13 (+1), MN 9, LK 7 (-2), CT 0/15 — phaser II (24/24) KILLED BY URSUNOID
  • Ensign Chowdhury — DX 11, MN 11, LK 17 (+5), CT 13/13 (life belt 3/5) — phaser II (24/24)
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Inferno »

"Intriguing," murmurs Nadix. "A sentient hologram."

"Gentlemen, I believe it cannot harm us. Nor we it. Shall we continue?"

If the landing party is in agreement, the Edosian scientist will toss an object into the hidden alcove of the ingenious projection and stand back, making room for the first team to traverse the deadly room before the laser sentries recover.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Starbeard »

Stardate 2271.3.24: 1865h

Countdown on Chowdhury's chronometer: 73 minutes

Encountering no disagreement, Nadix enacts his plan. An object is tossed into the room; the psychedeic light show erupts and disintegrates it; the crew rushes through the room; the Slaver guard brandishes his weapon and orders them to halt or suffer the effects of his vaporizing raygun, but he does not fire; Ensign Chowdhury opens the door on the opposite side and the crew pass through into the next room…

The room here glows with an eerie green light. Covering the east wall is a complex computer and engineering terminal with three chairs arranged in front of it. The south wall has a row of eight small circular platforms, appearing to elevators of some kind—next to each is a square button and a plastic contraption to hang a Slaver rifle and air filter mask, but half of these are empty.

Along the northwestern curve of wall are a row of fifteen strange metallic helmets, clearly designed for the Slaver physiology, but still capable of being worn by anyone in the party; you recognize these as the same type as the helmet worn by the Romulan Commander during your shootout earlier.

Behind you, through the closed door, you can hear the faint hum of the defensive mechanism, recharged and ready yet again to destroy trespassers.

Actions?

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#329 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr Ryerson:

"At last we here. How much time do we have?"
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#330 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Ensign Chowdhury

Chowdhury checks his chronometer.

"An hour and thirteen minutes sir," he responds. He scans the room, wary for any signs of further security systems.

Assuming he sees nothing suspicious, he turns to Nadix and Endilev. "So, now we're here sirs, any idea what we have to do to disarm the self-destruct?"
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Inferno »

As if in answer to the Ensign, the Edosian science explorer places his remaining decoy objects on the floor and takes a seat in the center chair. Three hands typing quickly across the console, Nadix tries to access the Slaver computer in order to cancel the order to self destruct.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by rredmond »

Commander Gareb Endilev

Gareb keeps his weapon at the ready, but continues to monitor readings with his tricorder to see if any other anomalies occur while they are there..
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Starbeard »

Coxa II: Central Control Room, Slaver Outpost
Stardate 2271.3.24: 1915h

Countdown on Chowdhury's chronometer: 63 minutes

Within the beating heart of the Slaver Outpost, the party stands ready for more of the dead race's devious tricks and traps. While the others keep their biological and technological senses alert, Nadix cross to the large computer and sits in the middle chair. It is not exactly comfortable, designed for a race with little or no concept of comfort.

The console before him is fairly simple compared to the two on either side of him: the right console is obviously a security station of sorts, with several blank screens. To his left is a much more complex station full of flashing lights and gauges.

His own station—humming to life once Nadix takes his seat, as he has grown to expect—is little more than a small monitor and a few different input devices. Over the next few minutes Nadix does his best to access the inner workings of the Outpost's computer, but no matter what he tries, he cannot seem to get it working. The computer audibly responds when he presses keys, but nothing shows up on the screen. Perhaps there is some issue with the monitor?

Actions?

Rolls:
Nadix, to use the Slaver command console:
Nadix (MN 14): [4d6] = 18
Failed, so the action takes 10 minutes.

Nadix to decipher what's required to access the console:
Nadix MN (14): [3d6] = 12
Success.
  • Nadix Ar Eth — DX 16 (+4), MN 14 (+2), LK 9, CT 12/12 (life belt destroyed)— HtH 2, phaser II (24/24)
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by Inferno »

The Edosian scientist looks to the Andorian engineer. "This console screen appears to be damaged, Commander."

Then his three legs take him to the flashing station on his left. Once more his three hands calmly try to access the self destruct countdown sequence.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#335 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

"Can it be fixed?"
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by rredmond »

Weird, thought I posted, sorry all!
Commander Gareb Endilev

Gareb hands the plasma pistol to the Doctor (with a little blue smirk), sets up his tricorder next to him, as he sets himself up to check out the console and see what can be fixed..

Using the tricorder as well as any skills he can call up, he'll check out this computer station.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Starbeard »

Coxa II: Central Control Room, Slaver Outpost
Stardate 2271.3.24: 1916h

Countdown on Chowdhury's chronometer: 62 minutes

Endilev sweeps the console with his tricorder, then sweeps it again. Strange: nothing seems to be wrong. A third quick sweep just to make sure there isn't a mistake, and—Aha! So the computers are working after all! The devilish Slavers have merely masked the monitor output to be invisible to the naked eye, requiring some sort of mechanical device to reveal what is displayed on the screens. But what?

The Slaver hologram in the previous room finally goes silent, but Chowdhury notes no other disturbances or immediate threats.

EDIT: Nadix moves to the console on the left, but from his ministrations he quickly realizes that the countdown sequence cannot be controlled from here. Instead, as he carefully adjusts the console's various controls, the room's lights slowly flicker in and out, and the party can hear the tones of the energy generator powering the light trap from the previous chamber shift and warble.

Actions?

Rolls:
Endilev MN check to troubleshoot the console. MN 9, no relevant skills used:
Endilev MN (9) check: [3d6] = 10 (-5 for using tricorder = success! one minute taken)
  • Nadix Ar Eth — DX 16 (+4), MN 14 (+2), LK 9, CT 12/12 (life belt destroyed)— HtH 2, phaser II (24/24)
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Inferno »

Returning his yellow gaze to the blank central console, Nadix rests his third hand upon his chin. "Perhaps the helmets must be worn in order to see the terminal monitors?"

The Edosian will scan the helmets with his tricorder as a safety precaution before donning one upon his orange oblong head.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#340 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Ensign Chowdhury

Ensign Chowdhury occupies himself by doing a circuit of the room to check for anything they might have missed. Once he has finished, he takes up a position where he is out of the way but has good visibility and coverage of the room (e.g. around 60 degrees anticlockwise from the entrance. So he can cover the room and the entrance but is out of sight of the doorway himself). From there he monitors the officers working the problem and offers prayers to as many gods as he can think of that they get it done.

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”