OOC II

thirdkingdom
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC II

#321 Post by thirdkingdom »

So, just to be explicit, there are at least three ways out of this:

*Diplomacy. You could try bargaining. Faeries *love* to bargain.
*Trickery. You could try some sort of ruse. The prince doesn't *look* that smart. Maybe he can be easily tricked?
*Violence. There's a bunch of you, and while Nacknosh is big, and does have some ogre guards, how tough could he really be?

There may be other ways, as well.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#322 Post by Atlictoatl »

How many mercenaries are traveling with the party?
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#324 Post by Atlictoatl »

Hrm. I don't really have an argument for why Nacknosh should accept a higher number of exceptions to his meal policy.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#325 Post by kalstone »

Do we have anything he might accept instead? Svenn is an expert bargainer so he may be able to convince him.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#326 Post by The_Wanderer »

...and I'm back! Let's see what I missed...Oh dear. :)
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#327 Post by VonAlric »

Wow. Gardo's dander and mine has just been riled to a major degree. Guess it's a good thing I can't formulate a big response until late tonight.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#328 Post by Atlictoatl »

Referencing TK's post below, I think there's two basic ways of playing this at the moment:

a) going along with some version of this proposal by my PC and Nacknosh
b) deciding this is all bullshit and attacking Nacknosh as soon as it is plausible to do so

I can't really say which is the best route to take. While I'd have interest in seeing other parts of Faery, everybody's survival is more important.

FWIW, my character doesn't need for a) to be the selected option. He might be slow to join an armed insurrection against Nacknosh, at least until he saw that it was possible to beat him, but he wouldn't obstruct the other PCs from choosing the violent approach.

thirdkingdom wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:49 pm So, just to be explicit, there are at least three ways out of this:

*Diplomacy. You could try bargaining. Faeries *love* to bargain.
*Trickery. You could try some sort of ruse. The prince doesn't *look* that smart. Maybe he can be easily tricked?
*Violence. There's a bunch of you, and while Nacknosh is big, and does have some ogre guards, how tough could he really be?

There may be other ways, as well.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by shaidar »

i was wondering. if we won this favour, we could call it in by having the Fae who owes us help is attack NackNosh and get our people back and hopefully give him a good drubbing.

Newton certainly doesn't intend to let NN have any of our people to eat, or leave Notai with him, but I'll let VonAlaric/Gardo react first.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by thirdkingdom »

VonAlric wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:10 pm Wow. Gardo's dander and mine has just been riled to a major degree. Guess it's a good thing I can't formulate a big response until late tonight.
Hah!
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#331 Post by kalstone »

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. There seems to be two parts to the offer. One is leaving some hostages behind to make sure we live up to our end of the deal. The other is leaving some people behind to be eaten even if we win the bet. Am I understanding Nacknosh's new offer correctly in that he is willing to cut the number of hostages in half, but is still requiring some to be left behind even if we win the challenge?
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by thirdkingdom »

kalstone wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:25 pm Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. There seems to be two parts to the offer. One is leaving some hostages behind to make sure we live up to our end of the deal. The other is leaving some people behind to be eaten even if we win the bet. Am I understanding Nacknosh's new offer correctly in that he is willing to cut the number of hostages in half, but is still requiring some to be left behind even if we win the challenge?
The deal is:

*Leave all the retainers and mercenaries behind as hostages. If y'all win, everyone lives. If y'all lose *everyone* gets eaten.

*Give Notai, Gardo's deer-folk retainer, to Nacknosh, y'all only need to leave a dozen hostages behind. If you win, you get the dozen hostages back (but not Notai). If you lose, *everyone* gets eaten (but maybe not Notai).

It's not the greatest deal.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Rex »

I will back Gardos call on this, but am not in favor of leaving anyone behind.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#334 Post by kalstone »

Me either. Although if Notai dressed in slave girl outfit, we could distract Nacknosh by fighting his minions, and she could strangle him with her chain.

Nah, that would never work.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#335 Post by The_Wanderer »

thirdkingdom wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:39 pm
kalstone wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:25 pm Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. There seems to be two parts to the offer. One is leaving some hostages behind to make sure we live up to our end of the deal. The other is leaving some people behind to be eaten even if we win the bet. Am I understanding Nacknosh's new offer correctly in that he is willing to cut the number of hostages in half, but is still requiring some to be left behind even if we win the challenge?
The deal is:

*Leave all the retainers and mercenaries behind as hostages. If y'all win, everyone lives. If y'all lose *everyone* gets eaten.

*Give Notai, Gardo's deer-folk retainer, to Nacknosh, y'all only need to leave a dozen hostages behind. If you win, you get the dozen hostages back (but not Notai). If you lose, *everyone* gets eaten (but maybe not Notai).

Thanks for the clarification here. I was thinking either way that some would be eaten. Still not great though. As a point of clarification in case it comes to a fight - is everybody armed and armored?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Rex »

Shmara never gave up her weapons or took her armor off.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#337 Post by Atlictoatl »

The_Wanderer wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:57 pm
thirdkingdom wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:39 pm
The deal is:

Thanks for the clarification here. I was thinking either way that some would be eaten. Still not great though. As a point of clarification in case it comes to a fight - is everybody armed and armored?
Aye, this clarification helps. The narrative made it sound as though Nacknosh was indicating that mission success would result in 12 individuals (including the PCs) being freed, and the others eaten.

In light of this, I'd recommend that we accept the earlier offer of him keeping folks as hostage and go see how we fare in competition with the rival court. Worst case scenario, if we do not bring success back to Nacknosh, we can attack him.

Handing Notai over isn't an option.

We can make a case for the henchpeople joining us, as they have critical skills to help the PCs succeed. And bind Nacknosh into a promise that he won't eat any men or horses while the party is gone.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by thirdkingdom »

Also, to clarify, if you strike a bargain with Nacknosh (or any Faery Lord) they will literally have to stick to it. There may be some letter of the law, not intent, but even though he is a Chaotic creature he can't renege on a promise.
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#339 Post by VonAlric »

The trick would be to make a bargain that has All of our best interest and none of his but make it look attractive to him.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#340 Post by VonAlric »

Gardo's response will happen later tonight. I know everyone is waiting with bated breath on what he might say.

Return to “A Brave New World (OSE)”