BX OOC I

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#261 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:55 pm I'm going to sneak in the final two character sheet reviews now...
VonAlric, I left a couple notes for Buzar, here.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#262 Post by dmw71 »

The official launch is (finally!) almost upon us! I appreciate your patience.

Question: Is anyone looking to add any hirelings before the game begins?

We can quickly and informally resolve any attempts to locate/acquire any hirelings before the official launch. Otherwise, these will need to formally be sought out in the actual game itself.
-- Project --

-- DM --
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:34 pm The official launch is (finally!) almost upon us! I appreciate your patience.

Question: Is anyone looking to add any hirelings before the game begins?

We can quickly and informally resolve any attempts to locate/acquire any hirelings before the official launch. Otherwise, these will need to formally be sought out in the actual game itself.
I think at this point I'd rather get the game moving and deal with retainers later, but I'll certainly defer to anyone else who wants to hire someone.
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#264 Post by Lance »

I agree, let's get rolling!
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#265 Post by dmw71 »

Lance wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:07 pm I agree, let's get rolling!
The intro post, for the most part, is completed (it just requires a couple of small tweaks), so all that is really needed is a map.

I would have sworn that I posted this status last night, but I clearly don't see it here (and it's not saved as a draft) so who knows? Anyway, I have been building out the map for the dungeon using individual tiles, which is kind of a tedious process that takes time. I'm tempted -- because I know how much more time will be needed to complete it -- to just search for a map online and use it instead.

Either way, however, with the upcoming holiday weekend here in the U.S., I expect there to be a bit of a slow start regardless.

There is a chance I will be able to officially launch the game later today. If not, it will be sometime this weekend. I do know that I have family plans on both Saturday (tomorrow) and Monday (holiday observed), so I'm not positive when I'll be able to carve out the needed time... but maybe Sunday?
-- Project --

-- DM --
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Rex »

Enjoy the holiday Dave and if you get to it that is great but don't worry about it.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#267 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:11 pm Enjoy the holiday Dave and if you get to it that is great but don't worry about it.
I'm itching to get this one started.

Creating dungeon maps is fun, but I'm working with new "blue" tile sets I purchased the other week specifically to create maps with that old-school look, and I'm still trying to learn where all the different tokens are, and which way they need to be flipped, and how the different sets connect with each other.

Once I actually start working, it's fun, but it's sometimes a struggle to find the time to actually dedicate to the process.

I'm thinking it will be a lot quicker to just find an existing map, so I'm starting to lean in that direction.

I'm hoping to find/complete what I need tonight, but don't hold me to it. :D
-- Project --

-- DM --
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#268 Post by VonAlric »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:18 pm Creating dungeon maps is fun, but I'm working with new "blue" tile sets I purchased the other week specifically to create maps with that old-school look, and I'm still trying to learn where all the different tokens are, and which way they need to be flipped, and how the different sets connect with each other.
Sounds like someone is using the Dungeons In Blue tile set. I like that product.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Rex »

I like a pencil and graph paper, but I am decidedly old school when it comes to tech.
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#270 Post by Lance »

I just started using Dungeon Scrawler, it's pretty awesome. :)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#271 Post by dmw71 »

VonAlric wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:20 pm Sounds like someone is using the Dungeons In Blue tile set. I like that product.
I'm not, actually. I probably own close to 50 47 of those sets (purchased in bulk on DriveThruRPG a years ago), and did dabble around with them in anticipation of this game, but I find them frustrating and limiting as they're entire sections of a map instead of the individual components.

Don't get me wrong, the maps are cool, but they're already built sections of a dungeon. You can't customize corridors, or chambers, etc..., you need to just find something that works and use that entire pre-created area. It's probably possible to use Photoshop or GIMP or something to work with them more precisely, but I have zero experience using tools like that. Snagit is the extent of my image editing! :lol:
DiB.jpg
DiB.jpg (132.36 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

Plus, because I purchased them on DriveThruRPG and not Roll20 directly (I'm not even sure they're available in the Roll20 marketplace?)), I'd have to upload all 47 sets individually into my library. I just... no. :lol:
Instead, I found the 'Blue Maps' tile sets by Minotaur Games (created by Jason Bulmahn of Pathfinder fame).

I purchased all four sets after watching his Creating Fun Maps on Roll20 video, and they're pretty cool!
  1. Cavern
  2. Crypt
  3. Dungeon
  4. Town

They're still a bit limiting, but they offer a massive amount more freedom than the DiB tiles.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#272 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:30 pm I like a pencil and graph paper, but I am decidedly old school when it comes to tech.
I have actually been doing a lot of this lately.

I am obsessed with pens and notebooks, and have collections of both. Because I use pen (I have an aversion to using pencils), I have historically been reluctant to actually use any of the notebooks I own out of fear of making a mistake on page 1 and "ruining" it. Plus, there's always the risk of having an idea or inspiration that you need to add... but you're out somewhere and the notebook is sitting at home. Or, the information is spread all over the place. You jot down the initial details of an idea on page 1. Then, weeks later, you revisit the idea and come up with more details... but you've added a bunch of other "stuff" in the same notebook in the meantime, so you now have related information on pages 1, and 9, and 12, and 15, etc...

I still really love them, and since I've been working from home (and not splitting time between home and the office) I've been using them a lot more frequently, but there are certain advantages to keeping notes online. I live-and-die with Evernote!
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#273 Post by dmw71 »

Lance wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:42 pm I just started using Dungeon Scrawler, it's pretty awesome. :)
Is that, this?

I haven't actually used it, but it's one of a handful of different map tools that I have bookmarked. Along with:

One nice thing (to me) about Dungeon Fog and Dungeondraft are their licenses. Anything created in Dungeondraft can be used in commercial products, and the same is true of Dungeon Fog if you purchase their commercial license.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#274 Post by Lance »

That's the one! :)
dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 pm One nice thing (to me) about Dungeon Fog and Dungeondraft are their licenses. Anything created in Dungeondraft can be used in commercial products, and the same is true of Dungeon Fog if you purchase their commercial license.
I got the idea from Melan's Crypts of Volokarnos, so I'm pretty sure DS can be used commercially as well.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#275 Post by dmw71 »

Lance wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:04 pm I'm pretty sure DS can be used commercially as well.
Sure enough: License.

That's pretty awesome, especially for a free tool.

Damn. I'm going to really need to take a closer look at DS. It looks really cool.
-- Project --

-- DM --
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#276 Post by VonAlric »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:01 pm Don't get me wrong, the maps are cool, but they're already built sections of a dungeon. You can't customize corridors, or chambers, etc..., you need to just find something that works and use that entire pre-created area. It's probably possible to use Photoshop or GIMP or something to work with them more precisely, but I have zero experience using tools like that. Snagit is the extent of my image editing! :lol:
Yeah, I have thought about getting some basic skill with GIMP so I could customize the DIB tiles.
dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:01 pm Instead, I found the 'Blue Maps' tile sets by Minotaur Games (created by Jason Bulmahn of Pathfinder fame). (SNIP!)
They're still a bit limiting, but they offer a massive amount more freedom than the DiB tiles.
I watched the vid and thought that might fit the bill for what I do as well.
dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:11 pm I live-and-die with Evernote!
I'm a OneNote man, myself. If I can get out of adding 3rd party software for things, I try to. Since OneNote is part of Office, which I get to use for work, and is available in the OneDrive space, I make up notebooks of info for my players and stick them out there for them.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#277 Post by VonAlric »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 pm Is that, this?

I haven't actually used it, but it's one of a handful of different map tools that I have bookmarked. Along with:

One nice thing (to me) about Dungeon Fog and Dungeondraft are their licenses. Anything created in Dungeondraft can be used in commercial products, and the same is true of Dungeon Fog if you purchase their commercial license.
I like Dungeon Scrawl and Dungeon Map Doodler. Something about them feels good, even if the zoom can get wonky at times.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#278 Post by dmw71 »

I owe this game a start.

I'm not really ready yet (there was ZERO productivity of any kind to be had over the weekend), but I will start this soon.

"Soon," as in, I need to:
  1. Finally make a decision about a game detail; then
  2. Revise and post the introductory draft I've had saved for at least a week now (that has just been lacking the detail from the previous step).

It might be minutes from now. It might be an hour or two.

But, it will be today.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#279 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:56 pm I owe this game a start.
It's a very simple start, but we're underway.
-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Dave's OSE Adventures (OSE)”