Chapter 4: Under the Tree

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4: Under the Tree

#241 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:Another WIS check for Bürd too?
Yes, please.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Pulpatoon »

MonkeyWrench wrote:Marcus Wisdom Check(WIS:10): [1d20] = 20
Wow that roll.
Oh dear. I think Marcus has just unwisely concluded that the ooze can only be defeated by spreading it on a nicely toasted slice of pumpernickel, and washing it down with some good tea.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#243 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon runs away, taking cover in the trees.
Wisdom Check (16): [1d20] = 5
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#244 Post by mb. »

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Pulpatoon »

Bürd and Simon:
You realize that patches of the ooze are spitting and smoking—the patches where the weakening light of the sun touches its surface!
Boring ol' Mystery Mechanics: State your actions!
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#246 Post by mb. »

Bürd rushes towards the sludge, yelling to his friends, "th'sun burns it! Help me draw it outta th'tunnels lads!" He plays a dangerous game of rushing it waving his axe, flashing the sun off its shiny surface, and backing up speedily when the ooze advances on him.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#247 Post by KingOfCowards »

"The sunlight is harming it, look!" Simon points out with a sigh of relief. But his smile diminishes as he looks up and sees the sun already starting its descent towards evening. His throat goes dry with dread, and he involuntarily swallows as he whispers a prayer to his Old gods.

I am going to try something off the normal path. The mage light cantrip creates a magical light, but I would like to gather what's left of the sunlight and direct it closer to this ooze. I am sure a penalty is in order, but I don't know how much. So I'll just roll and let Pulpatoon decide the result.
Cast Mage Light (9): [1d20] = 14 fail

Simon finds that his powers for the day are diminished, and he never quite felt so truly alone, as he does now that his gods have abandoned him.
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Marcus will continue to drag Gizzy further away from the tree, making sure that his body is completely out of harms way. After doing so he will help to draw the ooze out into the sunlight for as long as there is light. Once the sun sets he will make a mad dash, picking up the sword and dragging Gizzy away towards the town.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Pulpatoon »

Pardon our dust:

Going in initiative order:

Marcus drags Gizzy's body to the far edge of the clearing.

KingOfCowards wrote:I am going to try something off the normal path. The mage light cantrip creates a magical light, but I would like to gather what's left of the sunlight and direct it closer to this ooze. I am sure a penalty is in order, but I don't know how much. So I'll just roll and let Pulpatoon decide the result.

That was a good idea, and I would have gone with it, had it worked. Unfortunately, cantrips are dangerous when they fail. Instead of gathering the available sunlight, you seem to have dimmed it.

A shadow falls over the glade! The hissing and spitting on the ooze settles down!

mb. wrote:Bürd rushes towards the sludge, yelling to his friends, "th'sun burns it! Help me draw it outta th'tunnels lads!" He plays a dangerous game of rushing it waving his axe, flashing the sun off its shiny surface, and backing up speedily when the ooze advances on him.

Unfortunately, the light flees even as you begin to enact your plan.

MonkeyWrench wrote:Marcus... will help to draw the ooze out into the sunlight for as long as there is light. Once the sun sets he will make a mad dash, picking up the sword and dragging Gizzy away towards the town.

Are you referring to the sword you left in the clearing earlier? It is no longer there. But, now that you're looking for it, you notice that Gizzy has it tucked into his belt!

The ooze splashes down amidst the grass, and floods out across the clearing. Simon and Bürd will need to make DEX checks to avoid it!
Last edited by Pulpatoon on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#250 Post by KingOfCowards »

Cantrips
Cantrips can be cast as many times as you like. They require either an Intelligence or Wisdom test (depending on the cantrip). Success means that the cantrip works more or less as desired. When a mage fails a cantrip roll, one of two things can happen at the player’s discretion: either the mage finds herself robbed of magical energy until she has rested, or the magic spins out of control.

From the wording on cantrips, it sounds like the player has the choice of whether my character is robbed of magical energy or of the magic spinning out of control? In which case I would choose being robbed of energy.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:Cantrips
Cantrips can be cast as many times as you like. They require either an Intelligence or Wisdom test (depending on the cantrip). Success means that the cantrip works more or less as desired. When a mage fails a cantrip roll, one of two things can happen at the player’s discretion: either the mage finds herself robbed of magical energy until she has rested, or the magic spins out of control.

From the wording on cantrips, it sounds like the player has the choice of whether my character is robbed of magical energy or of the magic spinning out of control? In which case I would choose being robbed of energy.
Okey-doke. We can roll back the tape and you can be exhausted. I'll strike out the previous post and rewrite it.
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by MonkeyWrench »

While you are re-writing things, yes, I did mean that sword. Seeing it in gizzy's belt while I am dragging him is fine enough.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by PyroArrow »

Tokioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius [AC: 12 HP: 2/5]:

I was a bit confused about the sword, i thought i brought it along, but did not wish to use it, so i looked back but could not find when i came across it, & since it was not on my character sheet,

i figured maybe i had just left it where it was.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Pulpatoon »

Going in initiative order:

Marcus drags Gizzy's body to the far edge of the clearing.
KingOfCowards wrote:I am going to try something off the normal path. The mage light cantrip creates a magical light, but I would like to gather what's left of the sunlight and direct it closer to this ooze. I am sure a penalty is in order, but I don't know how much. So I'll just roll and let Pulpatoon decide the result.
That was a good idea, and I would have gone with it, had it worked. Unfortunately, it didn't, and Simon is now magically exhausted.
mb. wrote:Bürd rushes towards the sludge, yelling to his friends, "th'sun burns it! Help me draw it outta th'tunnels lads!" He plays a dangerous game of rushing it waving his axe, flashing the sun off its shiny surface, and backing up speedily when the ooze advances on him.
I think I'll ask for an INT check to find a good spot of sunlight and angle it back at the ooze. DEX might be a better fit, but I feel like I've been asking for a lot of DEX checks, so I'm looking for an excuse to use something else.
MonkeyWrench wrote:Marcus... will help to draw the ooze out into the sunlight for as long as there is light. Once the sun sets he will make a mad dash, picking up the sword and dragging Gizzy away towards the town.

Marcus notices that Gizzy has the cloaked man's sword tucked in his belt!

Pyro, you picked up the sword during our pm exchange, before you joined the thread.

The ooze splashes down amidst the grass, and floods out across the clearing, sizzling in patches as it crosses the weak light of late afternoon. Simon and Bürd will need to make DEX checks to avoid it!

Mystery mechanics Let's get Bürd's check rolled before anyone else declares actions.
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#255 Post by mb. »

Considering Bürd's DEX (8), I'm happy to check INT (15) instead. :)

Bürd searches for the strongest patch of sunlight he can find... [1d20] = 2 ...and blasts it at the ooze off of his trusty, shiny greataxe!
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#256 Post by mb. »

And he desperately tries to dodge the oncoming sludge wave...
[1d20] = 9
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#257 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon scrambles away from another wave of ooze, his adrenaline keeping him alive in response to his fear.
DEX Check (9): [1d20] = 6
Not sure how much longer my luck holds out. It's about a 50-50 chance of being hit with each wave. I think it's time for a retreat.

EDIT: Holding action until we see the results of Burd's attack.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Pulpatoon »

No steak, all sizzle: [1d12] = 2
An acrid smokey begins to rise from the ooze as it burns under the combined effects of the environmental sunlight and Bürd's directed beam. The oil black flood slows, and begins to retreat.
Doopey doopey doo: [1d4] = 3
The ooze is making a slower retreat than when it rushed out of the hole.

Actions!
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Marcus sets his spear next to Gizzy, taking the sword from Gizzy's belt and helping direct what sunlight remains onto the ooze thing.

Marcus Intelligence Check(INT:12): [1d20] = 10
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#260 Post by mb. »

Bürd advances on the sludge, keeping as much sunlight on it as he can!

Return to “Adventure 1: Death Comes to Herebury”