Silk and Silver: The abandoned mine.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Silk and Silver: The abandoned mine.

#241 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo comments softly, "Uh....That sounds like a bit of trouble. Shall we see if they need help?"

Durgo stands ready but waits to make sure they aren't seen as a threat and more like help first.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#242 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
(to his companions) I'm reluctant to run in there as yet. (out loud so gnomes can hear): What is it? We mean you no harm. Come out and tell us what you see so we may help!
He is ready with his X-bow, and will motion any gnomes fleeing out to move to the side.

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#243 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Symeon moves a few paces in front of the party with shield and morning star at the ready.

No sense rushing, but if there are restless dead it is my duty to lay them back down.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#244 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Probably goes without saying, but his "out loud to the gnomes" was in gnomish.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#245 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"I agree. Let's let them figure some of it out and ask for help. Patience here is ok.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring the Silver Mines.

The group make their presence known, it is tolerated, the Svirfneblin not entirely friendly to the cavern intruders but not openly hostile. The cry of surprise and alarm from within the crypt focuses a joint attention.

The pallbearers panic is real. Entering in order to lay to rest a recently deceased kinsman, they find another whose soul has stirred restless in undeath. Risen within a whirlwind of hate, a malevolent maelstrom of linen bandages, bones and detritus of crypt goods; a skeletal creature lashes out at the Svirfneblin, putting them to flight.

As they flee it follows, rapidly behind, lacerating the stragglers with numerous slashing cuts. Though it is animated from a Gnomish sized figure, the crypt thing manifests a fearsome presence.

Looking into the burial crypt you can see a short passage opens into a wider cave, about thirty feet across. Around the walls are ledges upon which old mummified bodies are laid. In the middle this creature flails, knocking the pallbearers aside in a frenzied attack.

It is obvious the Svirfneblin are disadvantaged and few are armed effectively to fight off the fiend or shield themselves.

actions. Give me three attack rolls or rounds of actions please, any spell casting and Turn Undead attempts.
Attachments
Svirfneblin crypt thing
Svirfneblin crypt thing
Screenshot_20230308-232844~2.png (899.84 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#248 Post by Cwreando »

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#249 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
responds to Durgo's question: Don't know, but I'm not taking any chances in that regard.

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#250 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

I know not, lad. I only know our duty to destroy it.

Brother Symeon charges the creature with his morning star.

"And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him"

Round 1 Morning Star [1d20]=14 damage [2d4+1]=4+1=5
Round 2 Morning Star [1d20]=2 damage [2d4+1]=6+1=7
Round 3 Morning Star [1d20]=18 damage [2d4+1]=2+1=3

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by Spearmint »

Fight in the Svirfneblin Crypt

The adventurers charge in, determined to rescue the embattled gnome-kin. This undead fiend is a new apparition, a diabolical mix of Wightish hatred, animated among a debris-strewn vortex of bones, shadows, dust and burial linens. Spawned from 'god knows where', it is a creature of lingering hate, feeding upon the fear and pain it inflicts on those caught within its flailing.

Assessing for an opportunity, the archers loose silvered shafts. Durgo, Rate of fire is 2 per round so I will use both for the initial attack.

While the first arrow sails harmlessly through the creature, the second arrow and crossbow bolt both find some mark of vital organ. The creature visibly staggers, spurts of black, sooty necrotic energy leaking from each wound. -10hp.

The creature moves from among the prone pallbearers to attack these threatening intruders into his sanctum. It envelopes the priest of St Ygg in a maelstrom of raging and despair yet the Faithful stands firm and unafraid though Death looks him in the face.

Crypt Thing: [1d20]=2 [1d8+2]=4+2=6

The trio raise hopes and weapons, thrusting their own rage into the undead vortex, each hit (-5hp, -4hp, -1hp, -5hp) and shred more bones and flailing innards to crash upon the tomb walls. Still it hovers to rage though visibly weakened in state and power.

Crypt Thing: [1d20]=8 [1d8+2]=1+2=3

Greybeard would be honoured as his gifted axe cleaves it asunder, slicing the necrotic linens apart as ribbons. -7hp Suddenly all is at peace as the Crypt Thing dissipates to collapse upon the ground as though dirty rags cast aside. The Svirfneblin are thankful for their rescue. The body they stretchered is lain to rest, though quickly with little ceremony lest another 'draugr' spirit animate among the buried kinsmen in the crypt.

You can watch over them, observing the crypt has three rooms, each a circular cave about thirty feet in diameter which has numerous shelves used as burial alcoves dug into each wall. The interred bodies are mummified in typical burial linens and each has some kind of memorial trinket laid beside them; a dusty pick, a carving, a flute, skin drum, each a personal token but nothing on first glance appears as a valuable trinket one might 'liberate'. The pallbearers light some votive candles, say a quick prayer and leave, mourning the one lost and seeking remedy for the injuries and lacerations the crypt fiend caused.

Unlike Bogart, whose testimony was one of antagonism and conflict, your timely intercession has eased the tension raised from the possibly unwelcome, surprise arrival. They are grateful and give thanks but are still wary of your intentions and purposes, supposing that with miners and pack mule companions, you come to mine the silver ore they guard so jealously.

Fydmar and Meatloaf can introduce the group and between them translate various greetings and questions, sharing as much of your exploration and encounters as you deem fit or necessary.

You learn this cavern is on the outskirts of their 'warren', deeming the section of caverns and tunnels they mine and live in, one entity in terms of territory. One Svirfneblin, taking the title as Foreman or Burrow Warden, names himself, Geojimali ... (and many extra name consonants as seems to be the way of these subterranean folk).

He offers to walk you to the settlement proper and gain an audience with Chief Trakratos ....etc.

actions, put any questions to him and decide between you what you would like to say or ask in an audience with the Chief. Each give me a [4d6] which I will use as a kind of information check and a [1d20] which is for any random perception, check, saving throw, random GM paranoia roll ....

Attachments
Geojimali the Svirfneblin foreman
Geojimali the Svirfneblin foreman
IMG_20230312_002152.jpg (34.52 KiB) Viewed 464 times

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#252 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Well then, all in a days work.
Brother, is there anything ye could do so this one they lay to rest won't rise as another undead thing? Also, could I ask ye to say a blessing to old Greybeard for the gift of this beautiful axe.

I would suggest we see if they will show us / tell us the way to a place where we could mine silver that they aren't already claiming but where they think silver can be found. As a gesture of thanks and goodwill - and to setting up trade. And also suggest we can help protect against the dark things that live down here.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#253 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Good job everyone."

Durgo stays to the back as his size might intimidate and he may not be the most charismatic/well spoken.

He talks softly to Fydmar, "Yeah. See if we can work a silver deal my friend. Perhaps they can let us know about some of the denizen down here. The more we know about them the better we are at dealing with them. What about Brother Symeon blessing the burial chambers? If they allow it.

[4d6]=14

[1d20]=12

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#254 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
(forgot my dice rolls)
[4d6]=16
[1d20]=1

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#255 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Symeon offers a brief prayer over the crypt.

They may be jealous of it, but if we can negotiate a source of silver we can count our expedition a success.

[1d20]=2; [4d6]=21

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Spearmint »

The Svirfneblin Settlement.

Discussing possibilities of more undead rising from the burial crypt, the mourners allow Brother Symeon to perform some ritual blessing, a requiem for the miner slain by a 'fearsome creature of earth and stone' in another vein of tunnels.

After putting the deceased to rest and being assured his state of repose will not be disturbed, the crypt is resealed and you leave, accompanied to the settlement proper. In sealing the tomb, Brother Symeon , you not that the edge of the stone rolled over the crypt passage contains a few etched runes which disturb your mind. You keep quiet about them, meditating on what they might mean as you go. I have posted in your private forum. You can discuss and reveal information publicly.

It is a short walk through narrow and twisting passages. Surprisingly it opens out into wide circular cave with a forested floor. Above you open sky and towering rock walls. Eons ago a giant sinkhole opened up, swallowing the earth above and creating this large cavern. Now it is home to a Svirfneblin tribe who live in caves, troglodytes fashion that ring the circumference on various levels. Fydmar can get a sudden panic attack, reflecting his previous experience of adventuring in the Harpy lair. This cavern would surely suit such vulturine creatures and indeed, you can spot occasional birds flying in and out of the skyward opening. Fydmar (roleplay out a panic attack as a result of your low d20 roll result).

Svirfneblin mine in tunnels that spread out into the subterranean surrounds, probably a dozen tunnels. if you imagine them as points on a clock, then figure those from 4-8 might wind their way towards the Chalk cliffs, Xvart camp and the southerly direction you explored from. On the actual forest floor, a few creatures graze. Goats and chickens mill freely and you can unpack BabeRuth so she can be taken to a secure pen.

Geojimali explains things as you go, giving you basic information. The tribe is in trouble, going through some unrest. As if 'unrest' was not enough from the presence of haunting ghosts that wander some of the southern caves, (you have experienced a few 'ghostly or surreal' encounters but missed actual ghost or spectral ones). There is also 'unrest' from within. He views Chief Trakratos with suspicion and clearly blames him for the death of his kinsman. Some of the northern veins of mine workings have been stopped as projects, forcing miners to travail in the haunted shafts.

Many of the Deep Gnomes are getting sick too. Grey skin is common among them but many are greying further, losing hair, losing teeth. Bones becoming brittle, diarrhea and nausea rife, vertigo and memory loss. He rubs his own shaven head. "We were stout, doughty and steadfast. Now we faint and our women are becoming barren." he scratches his crotch wondering if any sterile nature affects him personally. He falls into silence as you approach 'the interior forest' of the Sinkhole. The rock walls must tower above you by at least five hundred feet before opening out to clear sky. It gives each a sense of vertigo just looking up. There are no apparent access routes to the exterior Blackened Forest that you can see, certainly no cut out rock steps and no tower of scaffold or laddering. Unless you have wings or magic, it might be a tough exercise even for the most agile of climbers.

Chief Trakratos.

A wizened green-grey skinned Gnomish figure. Clothed in basic leather skirt and jerkin but sporting a circlet studded with diamonds and exotic stones which must symbolise his prestige or prominence among the tribe. He clutches a large stone in his grasp, cuddling it as one might careful hold a fragile egg. It has a baleful radiance, not an emanating evil as an undead figure exposes, this is more of an unusual, unearthly appearance.

In the faint throb of greenish pulse, he greets so, gesturing you to sit in his presence and share your testimony. Svirfneblin serve you water, taken from butts and guttering that catch the rainfall along with freshly baked bread, seeded with nuts and copious amounts of strawberry conserve. Hardly a banquet but sufficient to keep a hungry appetite at bay. The foreman Geojimali introduced you, sharing how you helped secure the burial.

His quarters, a series of small caves are basic hovels carpeted in rugs made from wolverine pelts. His fixtures and fittings are spartan, rustic furniture and stone utensils; a curtain made from strings of beads leads to an interior cave, incense from candles waft out of there though you cannot perceive through it.

"Miners mine, it is our vocation. To cleave the rocks and shape our lives as much as it shapes us." he comments, suggesting that such industry is just a natural destiny for Svirfneblin.

actions and comments please.

anything I have missed or not given info on, just shout up.
Attachments
Chief Trakratos, Svirfneblin
Chief Trakratos, Svirfneblin
Deep_gnome_3e.jpg (142.55 KiB) Viewed 413 times
Svirfneblin sinkhole.
Svirfneblin sinkhole.
5dd3c740a310cf3e97a734b1.jpeg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 413 times
Last edited by Spearmint on Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#257 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo bows and says in common softly, "Greetings, I am Durgo."

Durgo takes a step back and enjoys some water and food. He takes in all that he can see slowly looking about as he listens and talks from time to time.

He whispers to Fydmar and Brother Symeon, "I'm concerned about the 'fearsome creature of earth and stone' that killed their miner we laid to rest. Sounds like it was in a different tunnel. These people apparently have an illness afflicting them too. Some investigation might help us if we can help them. I wonder if the timing of the illness is related to the stone the chief carries. The stone is different somehow perhaps magical or demonic."

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#258 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
(when they 1st enter the "sinkhole") (in a tiny voice) harpies....harpies... (then louder, aiming his X-bow up toward the opening) Harpies! They will sneak up on us & take over our minds! (looks desperately at his companions) Where are they?... disgusting, foul... trails off & looks confused for a moment.
(regaining his senses)Sorry, must've been that bad fish...

(once they meet the chief) Hail Chief Trakratos. I am Fydmar, and this is... (introduces whoever doesn't introduce themselves). We are proud to have helped with the undead problem in the crypt. Perhaps we can be of further service as we understand this was not an isolated incident, and there are other foul things hereabouts - we experience in these matters. And mayhap we can help with the sickness as well - when did it start? We would ask if we could be shown an area where we could mine some silver for great needs our town has of it. Are there some supplies from the "above world" you are in need of? We could trade for silver if that is more to your liking.

(when his companions can chat amongst themselves)
I agree Durgo, that the stone the chief holds could be the source of the problem. Hence my query of a onset time. Geojimali may be helpful in helping us help them if the chief is reluctant due to being influenced.
By the way, I'm not sure I'm the right choice for the spokesperson/spokesdwarf role, so if someone else wants to take the lead, be my guest.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#259 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

I'm ok with either of you two being the spokesperson or if you both share it. I spoke in common and figured it would get translated if needed.

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#260 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Symeon does not speak gnomish and is content for Fydmar to lead the conversation.

To the group: Cleansing the evil from these caves would be worthy work whether or not the gnomes are willing to part with their silver, but hopefully they will be amenable to some kind of arrangement.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”