Chapter 14: The Doomed Undying

Inferno
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 14: The Doomed Undying

#21 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Watches the newcomer from his quiet corner.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by ChubbyPixie »

“Cruloc! I had thought everyone else dead. It’s good to see you - we could use your strength. We lost some good fighters,” says Kiri at half volume, deciding it best to trust the wisdom of Tjoruy in this nighted place. “Let’s talk more inside. He is dependable and strong. I can vouch for him. Don’t look him directly in the eye, though.”
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Inferno »

DM:

Garrin the son of Atlantis finds no evil lurking within the soul of the barbaric Cimmerian.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

"Time away from your wilderness home has dulled your senses, Loche," Cruloc grins, patting his belly. "You failed to notice that I am well-fed compared to you sorry lot. Why, I am fat enough to be served on a spit to the nobles of Tarantia!"

"In fact," he leans forward, "that is the fate those pale bastards intended for me."

"After the sandstorm, I forged southeast through the trackless wastes, travelling by night. I came upon a ruined city among the dunes. Exhausted, I slept - only to awake bound and gagged in this perverted warren. Priests of a demon god they call 'Zargoth' were fattening me for sacrifice. I saw the thing watching me in my fitful bouts of sleep - one eye and many eyes, unblinking, embedded in a sickly web of yellowish tendrils. Crom on his mountain, it was ugly!"

"The priests and their bestial ivory apes left me a short while ago, and I made my escape. They meant to have my bones for dinner," the Cimmerian draws and brandishes his sword, "but I'll give them something else to pick their teeth with!"
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#25 Post by Scott308 »

Loche

Ah bet they wur th' bastards that attacked us! Ye'r fàilte, by th' wey, fur drawing thaim awa' fae ye sae ye cuid escape. We gave they hackit fuckers whit fur, ah will tell ye! 'N ah git tae hurl yin o' thair giant bats! A'd lik' tae git yin 'n' keep it. Althoogh, getting a' th' fairn ye kin sloch does sound bonny guid richt aboot noo. Wi'oot that hail bein' eaten yersel' pairt, o' coorse.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

"Crom's balls! I'll bind the wounds of the injured, but I doubt even the finest healers in Ophir could do anything for that swollen Pictish tongue of yours."

OoC: All who accept Cruloc's offer immediately gain 1 hit point. The barbarian will continue administering first aid to the willing throughout the rest period.
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:
Yrkoon wrote:Cruloc

"Time away from your wilderness home has dulled your senses, Loche," Cruloc grins, patting his belly. "You failed to notice that I am well-fed compared to you sorry lot. Why, I am fat enough to be served on a spit to the nobles of Tarantia!"
Mako rises from his corner and gets a firm grip on his quarter staff. He eyes the party wondering if the group is going to engage in cannibalism once again to feed their hungry bellies.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Urson »

Zahra

Zahra has removed her lion helmet, and loosened the braid in her white hair.

Do I dare ask what they've been feeding you?
FA FO
Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

"Mushrooms! The curs have been feeding me nothing but mushrooms for days on end. For that alone I'll have their heads!"

The barbarian contemplates the sullen company. "What about you? You lot are as lifeless as a eunuch's sausage. Don't sit there gaping like fish. We have neither ale nor strumpets to pass the time with. Amuse me with your tale."
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

"Newcomer be careful with your words. Some of us have not eaten in a while and our bellies ache. Your taunting may get you a place on the dinner table and not seated among it. If you have food to share do so or stop speaking of what we lack."
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Pulpatoon »

Tjoruy: "Food there is, to nourish the flesh and confound the mind. Come, eatest thou of the mushroom forest. There is no shortage of provender for Zargoth's cattle. And drinkest thou the black waters." He shuffles forward with roughly woven wicker baskets containing dried flakes of fungal tissue, and a crude clay pot of water."
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Inferno »

The Underground City, the Vast Subterranean Cavern Beneath the Great Pyramid
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Eight. Hours before dawn?, 19th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

Beneath lichen constellations splayed across a subterranean night without end, the pilgrims of perdition succumb to exhaustion. In the hovel of the underdwelling Verulian, Tjoruy they rest, eat and sleep.

Xorzen and Cruloc agree to take first watch.

All is quiet.

After perhaps an hour, they notice that their friends sleep fitfully.

Before they can react, they see figures silently gathering in the eternal dusk outside the hovel. Dozens of them.

Wretched albino denizens of the underground city, each wearing naught but a loincloth and a mask, rendering them like unto the dead, animal-headed gods of ancient Verulia.

The swelling pantheon of ghosts glare at Tjoruy's hovel and then, as one, they advance upon it with blades drawn.

Suddenly, Cruloc and Xorzen see their sleeping friends awaken and arise!

Actions, Cruloc and Xorzen?!

Map:

PCs are within the Underground City. They cannot see anything beneath or beyond it.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
One hour has passed. Everyone gains 1hp from Cruloc's first aid (I will assume), and Garrin, Kiri, Loche and Xorzen each gain another 1hp from having breathed of the mists of Osorus.

PC Status: PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (Garrin, Kiri, Loche and Xorzen have breathed of the mists): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

"Enemies close on us! Xorzen, let us rouse the others from their stupor! I'll hold the front while you check the rear for a bolt-hole!"

The Cimmerian forcefully slaps the faces of Amethu, Garrin, and Kiri. "Awaken, you dogs! Do you wish to sleep through your own deaths?!"

Forgoing his longsword for a battle in tight quarters, he readies his spear to thrust at the first twitch of the doorway curtain.
Last edited by Yrkoon on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#34 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Xorxen jumps to his feet at the first sign of danger.

"These thralls haven't acted aggressively towards us before. Something haunts our very minds in this underground hell."

The masked monk does as he is told, bolting for the rear of the hovel. He finds Tjoruy along the way and rouses him as quickly as possible.

"Your friends don't seem to want us in here all of the sudden. Anything you could do about that?"

Slapping anyone else along the way who looks to need a good slapping, he checks on the possibility of escaping out the rear of the stone structure.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Inferno »

Tjoruy's Hovel, the Underground City
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Eight. Hours before dawn?, 19th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

In the incredible underground city, within a hovel as disheveled as its owner's mind, Cruloc the Cimmerian forcefully slaps the faces of Amethu, Garrin, and Kiri. "Awaken, you dogs! Do you wish to sleep through your deaths?!"

None will awaken.

He shakes Kiri with vigor and is finally able to rouse the sleepwalker from his deep, unnatural slumber!

Then Cruloc wheels, sheathes his straight sword and readies his spear for the swelling legions outside.

His weapon is aimed at the curtained doorway as the first of the countless masked under-dwellers (V) enters the hovel! His pale hand holds an antique blade older than Atlantis.

Behind the savage barbarian, Xorzen is able to eventually pull Tjoruy out from the smothering depths of sleep!

The urgent shouting awakens Zahra the amazon but Amethu, Garrin, Loche and Mako remain entranced. Suddenly, they ready their weapons for use against their friends!

Xorzen bolts ten feet toward the back of the dilapidated abode, and sees more ghostly figures gathering behind the hovel! But less than there are out front.

Actions, Cruloc, Kiri, Tjoruy, Xorzen and Zahra?!

Underground City Map:

Only lit areas are visible to one or more PCs. All else is from memory.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
It takes one action to rouse one sleepwalking friend. You may move up to 1" when attempting this action.
Cruloc awakens Amethu, Garrin or Kiri? [1d3] = 3 Kiri

• Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (Garrin, Kiri, Loche and Xorzen have breathed of the mists): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Pulpatoon »

Tjoruy snaps awake: "Gah! Zargoth! Thou wouldst fill a vessel with darkling madness, but the vessel awaiteth the light of Osorus!"

Looking around and realizing the situation, he says to the others:"Jackals and basilisks ride their souls! They will doeth the bidding of the demon. Stay not your sword, nor waste your pity upon them."

He brandishes his wrapped mace, and goes to watch over the rear entrance, ready to attack any who try to enter.
Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

Cruloc grimly vows to hold the front entrance. "I'll pile their bodies waist-deep! Let their dead welcome the rest!"

He drives his spear mercilessly into the belly of the first pale one at the threshold, aiming to eventually block the way with corpses. "See how you like fighting a Cimmerian, desert lice! HRRAAAH!"

Roll to hit w/spear at +2 (+1 for STR, +1 for Northman) [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15
Damage (+3 for STR) [1d6+3] = 4+3 = 7

OoC: Cruloc hopes his bellowing will do something to awaken the ones still dreaming.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Seeing the danger presented by his dreaming friends, yet being unwilling to strike them with his weapon, Kiri singles out Garrin as the greatest immediate threat and attempts to grapple him and position him between himself and the other dreamers in order to prevent them assailing Cruloc defending the doorway. “Wake up, Garrin!” he shouts.
Kiri always wanted to wrastle Garrin! :) What rolls do you need for this complicated move?
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Urson »

Zahra
Zahra jerks awake with a shriek- much different than her usual disciplined self. Finding herself surrounded by entranced team-mates with weapons drawn, she draws her sword, striking Mako to subdue

att [1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17

Subdual damage: Sword vs sm, med [1d8+5] = 5+5 = 10
FA FO
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Inferno »

Tjoruy's Hovel, the Underground City

In Tjoruy's ruined hovel, the explorers of pandemonium find there is no rest for the weary. Outside gathers a spectral legion without number! Wretched masked albinos of the underground city advance as the explorers desperately struggle to wrench their companions from the iron embrace of sleep!

Suddenly, their four sleepwalking friends attack with wild ferocity!

Garrin the Atlantean, noble chivalrous paladin in his wakeful life...

...slashes cravenly at Cruloc's back with his longsword, cutting deep! (-5hp)
Loche too strikes an insidious blow! Stabbing his friend Xorzen in the back with his jeweled dagger! (-6hp)

As if acting with one mind, the masked subterranean Verulians hack away the curtains to both doorways! At the front door, a hare-masked albino drives his ancient blade at Cruloc but the barbarian beats it down!

Tjoruy cries, "Stay not your sword, nor waste your pity upon them." Brandishing his wrapped mace, he stands guard over the rear doorway.

With remorse, Zahra the amazon batters sleepwalking Mako into unconsciousness with the flat of her sword blade! (10hp damage!) The enchanted enchanter drops his weapon and crashes to the floor, lifeless.

Cruloc grimly vows to Tjoruy, "I'll pile their bodies waist-deep! Let their dead welcome the rest!" The barbarian is good for his word. He drives his spear mercilessly into the belly of Hare, the first pale subterranean at the threshold, killing him instantly!

"See how you like fighting a Cimmerian!" Cruloc barks.

Kiri mercifully grapples with the son of Atlantis, shouting, “Wake up, Garrin!” and the sleepwalking warrior awakens!

Wounded, Xorzen wheels and shakes awake the nearest sleepwalking friend trying to kill him: Loche the Pict! The little thief emerges from his dark nightmare with a start! Then the hawk-masked monk cries in the antique dialect of the Sons of Osorus, "They art less thick at the back door! If we wouldst escape this deathtrap with our lives, 'tis now or never!"

Then Zahra's red eyes widen. Mako is moving! The unconscious conjurer begins to rise from the floor!

Actions, Cruloc, Garrin, Kiri, Loche, Tjoruy, Xorzen and Zahra?!

Underground City Map:

Only lit areas are visible to one or more PCs. All else is from memory.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings): Image

Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:

Player: