Investigation 2 - Jason + Mac + Roy: A Mound of Trouble

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Investigation 2 - Jason + Mac + Roy: A Mound of Trouble

#21 Post by Taaz »

After unloading the various meters, scanners and equipment, Jason waves goodbye to Julia and they head to canvas the neighborhood.

Good Morning sir. he says to Barry sticking his hand out. We had a call about the, mound I guess is the best word for it. Something strange in the woods over there. he gestures in the direction of the mound, And we always like to meet the locals before we go poking around. Just good manners right He smiles, less warmly than usual as the equipment and the cramped car had left him with a need for some aspirin, but still genuinely happy to help.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy listens to what Jason says to Barry then smiles and shakes Barry's hand "Names Roy and yeah we're the ghostbusters. Pleased to meet you Barry."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Pleased to meet you Barry. Can you tell us about what is going on?"
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Bluehorse »

Barry grins and shakes hands with everyone, greeting them each in turn. Glad you came so soon. I didn't want to raise an alarm or anything, but I was the one that called. Come on in, make yourselves comfortable. and once you were inside you did feel comfortable. He walks you back through the chapel area and to where some very well cushioned chairs are located. He takes a seat and motions for them to do the same.

I started here a few months ago and everything seemed fine. I can't even put my finger on it to be honest. I just know that at night we hear what sounds like drumming around the mound area. We didn't even notice until recently when we were having a wednesday night service. We had just finished singing a hyme and that was when we noticed the drumming. At first I thought it was someone with a loud stereo until one night we let out early. Our people kept come in saying the drumming was coming from the old mound. I went out to see for myself... and... well, I could hear it as well as anyone else. It went on for a few minutes and then just stopped. We can't find a rhyme or reason to when it is happening or not... just that it is at night, but most nights it doesn't happen.
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by Taaz »

That is fascinating, Jason is taking notes on his phone tapping along Are there any theories about what it could be? Local legends in this area?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Anything at all would be helpful."
GreyWolfVT

#27 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy "Sounds interesting. You sure it's a ghost and not some pranksters?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Bluehorse »

Back @ HQ
Investigation 2: Jason + Mac + Roy:
Mounds of Trouble
Aug. 10, 2018, 9:20am
Getting Hot, Humid

Barry Truth be told, I really do hope that it is just pranksters or maybe just a loud radio we havn't located yet.  I started writing down a log of when we heard it though, if that helps.  I thought that it might lead to some clue of what was going on, but I haven't come up with anything yet.  He hands over a small notepad with some dates and notes scribbled on it.  Some notes look original while others seem to be added as afterthoughts.

June 4, Sa - End of School Youth Group lawn social.  Loud Radio close by?

Oct. 30, Su - Hearing the drumming again during night services.

Feb. 26, Su - Night Service. Lots of people spooked.

Apr. 26, We - Drumming interrupting Night services.  Some of us went out trying to find where it is coming from.  Far as we can tell, it is the mound.  Cannot get back there because of all the brush.  Too dark to be safe.

May 25, Th - End of school bash.  Big Turnout!  I think most of them came to see if the "Ghost Drums" they heard about from last year.  They were not disappointed.  Thinking this could be a prank.  Some of the men were here and prepared with lights and gear to see if it was some pranksters, and sure enough, they said it was coming from the mound, but could find no source.  Bert is a level headed man, but he is a little rattled.  Swears it was coming from inside.  If it were anyone else I would have my doubts, but he is as rock solid as they come.

July 23, Su - More daylight tonight.  Started up just as we were leaving for home.  I helped some other members drive around the neighborhood trying to find out where the drumming was coming from.  Asked several people on Holly Ave. and in the Trailer Park next door, but they said they always assumed it was us.  They said it happens a lot more than what we thought.  This is getting weird.

Sept. 20, We - Another drum session nearby.  Reminds me of the drums you hear in old westerns.

Apr. 15, Su - We finally relented and called the police, mostly wanting to point out that it is certainly not us disturbing the peace.  They confirmed this has been going on for a long time and not just when we are having events and services.

June 13, We - Someone suggested it could be something other than people making the disturbances.  A lot of us stayed after services and had a meeting while the drumming continued into the night.  Decided we needed to consider something else might be going on if only to get another perspective.  [/b]Jerry[/b] is on the city council, mentioned they were working on getting a ghostbuster franchise here in town.  We voted and decided that if this is true, then we would reach out once they arrived.

Brownie Point Pool
Roy O'Dowd: 57/66  (**) (***)
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 61/ 69
David "Mac" McAuslan: 60/60 (**) 

** - No Ghost Dice on any one roll. (Xmas)
*** - +1d6 for the next use of the Ghost Trap
GreyWolfVT

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy "You mind if we do some investigating? Would we be ok to look around? Is there a good safe way to get into the mound area?" the tall formerly IT guy asks Barry.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac will consult the magic phone thingy and see if the dates match up to a lunar cycle. Do they all occur at the same phase of the moon?

"Seems Native American related to me, lets check out the mound with a meter."
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Taaz »

Great thinking Mac, ill check for valences. He pulls out his pke meter attachment and heads down to the mound, midful of where he steps and keeping his distance until the others are nearby.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex wrote:Mac

Mac will consult the magic phone thingy and see if the dates match up to a lunar cycle. Do they all occur at the same phase of the moon?

"Seems Native American related to me, lets check out the mound with a meter."
This is one of those cases where I am going to give you the answer without a roll because you did, in fact, solve the puzzle :) Make sure that when I give out BPs at the end of this, that Mac gets a bonus. Well Done, Grasshopper :)

Machas an idea. A good one. The kind that comes from a combination of previous knowledge and good old fashioned instincts. A quick google search on his phone and he finds that each of these dates corresponds with a New Moon! And the next New Moon.... is tomorrow night. :idea:

Jason looks at his own phone as well and everything seems normal. Even when tweaking the sensitivity. At least the church was clean. Something else readily apparent is that this opposite side of town did not have near the ambient interference as downtown. As a matter of fact, it is about where he would expect it to be in a normal location. That is something for later note. At least detecting anything here should be easy.

Barry to Roy Absolutely. You have free reign throughout the church and all the grounds. I trust professionals like you to be respectful. I will say you may want to make sure you are wearing good boots if you are going to go back around the Mound over there. It is a little low and a little wet, lots of thick foliage and all. Plenty of black snakes and some of them are cottonmouths.
That is one of the reasons we have not gone back there much, especially at night when it is harder to see. Most of the time if they have a direction to escape, they will just head the other way, but accidents have happened before.
GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy cringes at the mention of snakes "Uh snakes why did it have to be snakes. I can handle spiders but snakes hmm maybe Mac and Jason can go to the mound."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

Mac

"I think it only happens on the new moon. Which is tomorrow. Maybe do some simple scouting tonight and during the day tomorrow, then be here after dark and see what happens."
Mac will check and note moon rise and set for the next couple of days just in case.
GreyWolfVT

#35 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy "Maybe we can call terminix to deal with the snakes that or find some other way into the mound."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Roy "Maybe we can call terminix to deal with the snakes that or find some other way into the mound."
Barry if you have good boots and are paying attention, you should be fine. I have a few poles around back in the shed if you want to prod around under the greenery ahead of yourself. We keep some basic stuff for taking care of the lawn there.
GreyWolfVT

#37 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy "Where's that Billy the exterminator guy when you need him..." he says in reply. "I don't do snakes Barry."

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by Taaz »

Jason walks back twords the others still looking at his phones settings Theres nothing showing up on the scanner here now, did you find any connections with the dates?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Yes it seems to be always on a new moon. Which as luck would have it is tomorrow night."
Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by Taaz »

Well, That seems fortuitous. I didn't get too deep into it so we may want to schedule to come out tomorrow night. He looks to both of them, What are yalls thoughts?

Return to “Mission Archive”