[Closed] 2: On the Road (Kenta, Senichi)

Starbeard
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: On the Road: Kenta, Senichi

#21 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:Evil Ward is a fire spell, so you roll Fire Ring (3) + School Rank (1), keeping dice equal to your Fire Ring. The base TN is 10.

However, keep in mind that it is an immobile spell, so you won't be able to carry the ward around with you once you create it:
"The shugenja inscribes upon the ground (or on any immobile surface) a symbol to ward off evil. Once completed, any creature with the Shadowlands trait within a thirty-foot radius of the symbol erupts into flame (DR 2) for every minute they remain within the area of effect."
If you still want to cast it, it takes 5 actions (you typically get one action per round, which are 5-10 seconds long), and the ward lasts for 1 day. You can make raises, by adding +5 to the TN per raise, to increase the range (10' radius per raise), duration (+12 hours per raise), damage (+1 DR per raise), or decrease the casting time (-1 action per raise).

You can also gain a Free Raise to add somewhere if you double the casting time of the spell. So, by taking 10 actions to cast it, you can add a raise to the range/duration/damage for free.
Yea, I got that it was fixed. I will come to within 20' of the tree for casting, looking for a suitable spot on the ground to inscribe the ward.

So 4d10k3? I'll take the time for the free raise, and take one more raise, both raises to damage.

And he just misses: [4d10k3] = 14 vs TN 15 (10 + 1 raise, +1 free raise)
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote:
Starbeard wrote:Yea, I got that it was fixed. I will come to within 20' of the tree for casting, looking for a suitable spot on the ground to inscribe the ward.

So 4d10k3? I'll take the time for the free raise, and take one more raise, both raises to damage.

And he just misses: [4d10k3] = 14 vs TN 15 (10 + 1 raise, +1 free raise)
I'll roll again one more time. Remember that all 10s explode and roll over, and with "4d10k3" we don't know if any rolled a 10.

4k3 Evil Ward (TN20): [1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 7
Missed anyway, the dice knew.

That's one Fire spell used up, and you can attempt 2 more before you run out of slots. Sleeping overnight (or spending 2 hours meditating and making a successful meditation roll) will bring back 1 spell slot in each element.

You approach the man and quickly determine that he has blood seeping through his robe. He doesn't even move as you approach.

Senichi pulls out his scroll of the evil ward, but is too distracted to draw out the symbol properly on the ground.

Young Saburo has never seen a dead man before, and his nerves are rattled. He takes a deep breath and steels himself.
Saburo Fear roll (TN15): [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 7, Reroll on a 10: [1d10] = 4 (passed, rolled 28)

Kenta approaches more closely and sees that the man is still breathing, but barely. His eyes flutter but it doesn't look like he's fully conscious.

Actions?

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;6, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F2/A2/W3/E2
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;5 - Gl 0;0 - Wds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by ffilz »

Ok, I guess it's time for The Path if Inner Peace (Water, Mastery 4 TN 5). I'm not sure if I should go for one or two raises (1 wound level plus one per raise).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Starbeard »

He looks like he's in dire straits, definitely in the "Out" or "Dead" wound rank.

At "Down", the character is limited to crawling and communicating through whispers only. "Out" is the same, but each hit knocks you unconscious for 1 hour per hit you've taken in the Out rank. "Dead" is the same as Out, but once you've filled that rank up you're dead.

So, if he's either Out or Dead, with one raise you can guarantee that he'll regain consciousness.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Kenta

Kenta will do what he can to help the man.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by ffilz »

Ok one raise it is. I can’t use the dice roller from my phone, would you mind rolling for me?
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Starbeard »

Okay, I'll get to it ASAP.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Starbeard »

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Starbeard »

Thanks being patient.

Senichi comes to the man's side and recites a mantra from one of his scrolls, then begins to wave his hands over him. The man slowly awakens and whispers the name of a woman, "Hoso… Hoso… ." He appears to be trying to fight something, but is too weak to move.

As he scans the area, Kenta doesn't find any prowlers, but he does see a discarded sword nearby. It doesn't have any blood on it. He notices that there are no family or clan markings on it, which usually means it belongs to someone born into a ronin family.

Actions?

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;6, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F2/3 A2 W2/3 E2
  • Saburo, Senichi's Servant: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;5 - Gl 0;0 - Wds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
Last edited by Starbeard on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by ffilz »

Senichi will tend to the man and comfort him. He will assure the man that he is in safe hands.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Starbeard »

I'll make that a simple Awareness check, with free raises for every +5 above the TN you roll.
Senichi AWA check (TN15): [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 7
Exploding 10 reroll: [1d10] = 2
Total 26, success with Senichi's maximum of 2 raises.

Senichi successfully calms the man down from his delirium, and even eases him back into full consciousness, and convince him that he is safe with them. The man is a ronin, named Yego, which strikes you as quaint and old fashioned. He thanks you for your healing in his raspy whispers, but you get the impression that he is disappointed to be alive. He begs you to help him get to Kakita Castle right away. "*cough* I must meet my end with honor at the hands of my enemy, Kitsu Sugonori! *cough*"
(The Kitsu are one of the three ruling Lion families, who tend to be the shugenja and scholars of the clan)

Because he is a priest, Senichi is especially bound to Rokugan's religious cleanliness laws. This means that while everyone should try to avoid touching blood or dead flesh, he is absolutely forbidden from doing so. You both look over Yego's body and determine that if you choose to help him, both of you would be able to carry or support him without becoming unclean. (Is the man bloodied? (50% chance): [1d100] = 86)
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by ffilz »

Sigh, another Lion clan entanglement. Would it at all be appropriate to try and change this fellow's destiny? Also, curious about how a priest with healing magic avoids cleanliness issues with the wounded...
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Starbeard »

As long as you don't physically handle their wounds, you're fine. The healing spell itself is cast from a scroll, and doesn't require you to actually touch the target. I figure, since it takes 2 actions, you probably spend one action reading the scroll and the other action shaking your shaman stick over the person's body, or something like that.

Yego explains his situation: "Since I was a small boy, I have devoted myself to the only maiden in the land worth loving, the princess Kakita Junko. We have loved each other dearly from afar, as I am but a lowly ronin and our union could never be. She must marry a samurai of station.

"Her family has had their eye on one particular suitor, a noble Crane from the Daidoji family, who is on his way to Kakita Castle to seek her hand in marriage. But that despicable and puffed up Lion, Kitsu Sugonori, means to beat him there and propose, knowing that his higher station would force her family to accept!

"The man is nothing but a cur and ignorant bully, who doesn't deserve his own life, let alone a woman as enlightened as Junko. I meant to waylay him on the road on his way back from the festival at Otosan Uchi, challenge him to a duel to give the Daidoji time to reach the castle, for if I can't have her then I would rather she marry him. He is a good man. I knew he would defeat me, but at least I would die honorably.

"Now here I am, too weak to move, Kitsu will have reached Kakita Castle and stolen Junko's hand for himself, and I will live in pathetic shame."

This is a powder keg situation. Illicit romances can be honorable affairs, as long as they are not brought out into the open, in which case they are scandals that need to be squashed with impunity. According to Yego, aiding his cause would be in the Kakita family's favor, but then again you don't see any likely outcomes that don't involve several good people dying in duels or being sentenced to seppuku.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

It seems to Kenta that this is going to be a bad situation no matter what happens. Since Yego seems to be trying to do the right thing so Kenta will try to aid him.

"Senich, I will aid Yego in getting to this Lion in time to challenge him. I understand your issues with Lions so you do not need to come. I think with care I can carry Yego, perhaps you can heal him some more so that he at least can make the challenge?"
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Starbeard »

Senichi explains to Kenta that after carrying Yego, he may need to be purified with a cleansing ritual if he gets too much blood on him—that should not be much of a problem, Senichi can do the honors and the whole ritual should take only 30 minutes or so. (I'll let Frank decide whether to perform the Path of Inner Peace on him again, but we can move on from here either way.)

The travel is slowed with Kenta's attempts to help Yego along, and it is twilight by the time Kakita Castle comes into view.

The cobblestone pathways and steps that wind their way up to the castle are littered with paper lanterns left over from last night's Star Festival. From within the keep you can just hear the haunting sounds of a court orchestra playing. The castle must be entertaining guests.

At the outer gate, a guard takes your travel papers (you found a set on Yego earlier, beneficently allowing him free passage throughout the Empire for the next two months); all are permitted in as guests without hesitation, and Yego is taken quickly and quietly to the infirmary.

A young member of the household, probably no older than or 14 or 15, greets you with a very eloquent bow and a formal introduction using the sort of antiquated speech you rarely hear outside of high courts. "Daidoji Shintaro, at thy service. My father is a humble retainer of Daidoji Castle to the south. I have been hostaged here for ten winters as a testament to the strength of bonds between our households, though once I am a man I shall return to the place of my forefathers. I will do my best to provide for thee in any way I can during thy stay."

He waits with well practiced patience, a simple gesture of the hand indicating that you have free roam of the castle.

Actions?

登場人物
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;6, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F2/3 A2 W2/3 E2
  • Saburo, Senichi's Servant: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;5 - Gl 0;0 - Wds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Kenta

"Thank you Daidoji, could you lead me to where we are staying. Simple is my preference, as I am a simple monk." Kent bows to the youngster.

He will pay attention to where he is taken and observe as much as possible along the way.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Starbeard »

Kakita Castle is a large castle of five levels. Daidoji Shintaro guides you through a maze of tiny rooms, most of them separated by moveable walls made of wooden slats and thick paper—you get the distinct impression that he is leading you in a rather roundabout way, partly to show off the brilliance of the Crane Clan and the Kakita Family, and partly to keep your knowledge of the castle's layout murky and confused.

At some point he calls a servant over and has them lead Saburo to his bed in the staff quarters.

Kenta Perception (3k3) vs TN 20: 3k*: [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 9
Senichi Perception (3k3) vs TN 20: 3k*: [1d10] = 3 [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 10

Fortunately, you both keep track of the basic ins and outs, and you feel like you can make your way around the castle without getting lost too many times.

Your guest rooms are, as best you can tell, on the fourth level, and share a thin paper wall. They are spartan and simple, with only floor mats, a bed, small table for laying out your clothes, and a singularly expensive ceramic vase with a single fresh reed flower in it.

Recounting your observations of the castle:
More Perception rolls…
Kenta 3k*: [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 4
Senichi 3k*: [1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 5
  • You caught a glimpse of the court entertainment in the courtyard one level below you. You made out a number of guests, but could not see who was seated at the place of honor. You can still hear the music playing.
  • While briefly out on a balcony, you saw a pair of priests casting for omens down in a secluded courtyard. They looked dismayed.
  • You have not seen nor heard word of Daidoji Masayasu, the young noble Crane that Yego had explained was the chosen love of Princess Junko and who had long been her family's favored suitor.
  • Behind a thin wall on the second level you overheard a group of samurai who sounded like they had just arrived as well. To you it seemed that they had country Lion accents.
Actions?

登場人物
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:Senichi explains to Kenta that after carrying Yego, he may need to be purified with a cleansing ritual if he gets too much blood on him—that should not be much of a problem, Senichi can do the honors and the whole ritual should take only 30 minutes or so. (I'll let Frank decide whether to perform the Path of Inner Peace on him again, but we can move on from here either way.)

The travel is slowed with Kenta's attempts to help Yego along, and it is twilight by the time Kakita Castle comes into view.
Sorry lot's of craziness... I should heal him again so he will be fit for the challenge. Senichi appreciate's Kenta's offer.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote:
Starbeard wrote:Senichi explains to Kenta that after carrying Yego, he may need to be purified with a cleansing ritual if he gets too much blood on him—that should not be much of a problem, Senichi can do the honors and the whole ritual should take only 30 minutes or so. (I'll let Frank decide whether to perform the Path of Inner Peace on him again, but we can move on from here either way.)

Sorry lot's of craziness... I should heal him again so he will be fit for the challenge. Senichi appreciate's Kenta's offer.
Alright, I'll roll for you, with 2 raises to heal 3 ranks: Water Spell 4k3 TN15: [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 2
That's a success even without rerolling the 10.

Senichi's second spell brings Yego out of his crippled state (up to -2 wound rank).

Any actions or investigations, or will you wait to see what comes of Yego?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rex »

Wait to see what happens is my preference.

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”