[OOC] Into the Unknown

Vektunaxa
Tracker
Tracker

Re: [OOC] Into the Unknown

#21 Post by Vektunaxa »

I don't think we should bother hauling the chaos-creature out. I don't have a good sense of the lay of the land, but I figure if we travel for fifteen-thirty minutes, we should be far enough away that these anti-ramblers lose interest in us.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Vektunaxa wrote:I don't think we should bother hauling the chaos-creature out. I don't have a good sense of the lay of the land, but I figure if we travel for fifteen-thirty minutes, we should be far enough away that these anti-ramblers lose interest in us.

If you go out of the woods, you guys could circle around (either southeast, then east, then northeast OR northwest, then north, then northeast) to the northeast or go whatever direction you wanted.

It's dark out, so torches would be advisable.

It does not appear as if the anti-ramblers have noticed the dead chaos-creature. Hauling out a strange-ass deceased being would most likely be rather noticeable.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Vektunaxa wrote: I figure if we travel for fifteen-thirty minutes, we should be far enough away that these anti-ramblers lose interest in us.
I didn't specifically address this before.

Yes, a reasonable person would feel that travelling for fifteen, or especially thirty, minutes would definitely qualify as "I'm not trespassing any longer."
Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Wyzard »

Hauling away the deceased chaos-creature as our trophy might further convince them not to mess* with us though.

*I originally used stronger language here. Have to remember local profanity rules.
Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by Wyzard »

I seem to be alone in this. Nevermind, ditch the chaos corpse.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#26 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Okay, looks like we're pretty much ready to move on.

I need votes/responses/clarification on this, though:
I further propose we stuff the corpse of the chaos creature into its log lair and leave it
Does that mean you guys are going to go back* into the woods (sneak back? stride back?) and stuff the chaos-creature somewhere unobtrusive? Or...?

*If the proposal gets a yes vote.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Eh, nevermind. I was kind of unclear on exactly what you guys wanted to do, but it looks like Vek and Wyzard are both voting for moving on and ditching the corpse, so we're going with that.

I'll update IC in a minute.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by thirdkingdom »

Julius Sleazer wrote:Okay, looks like we're pretty much ready to move on.

I need votes/responses/clarification on this, though:
I further propose we stuff the corpse of the chaos creature into its log lair and leave it
Does that mean you guys are going to go back* into the woods (sneak back? stride back?) and stuff the chaos-creature somewhere unobtrusive? Or...?

*If the proposal gets a yes vote.
I'm fine with just leaving.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by Julius Sleazer »

thirdkingdom wrote: I'm fine with just leaving.

Hey, btw, Cadmus never cast any of his first-level spells (CLW and Detect Magic, I believe?) on the fifteenth. I'm fine with retconning in either one of those if you'd like. Just give me specifics.

I'm assuming the PCs left the woods at like 10:00 PM or something, very roughly, so technically time to withdraw a ways and use a few first-level spells before the stroke of midnight, I suppose.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Gems:

Most of you will have seen by now that the party has four 100 gp gems and one 1,000 gp gem.

Part of this whole game (a big part!) has been the whole "naive farmboy, zero to hero" thing. To make this more palatable, we started off at 4th level. This start at 4th level wasn't meant to represent a great deal (or even necessarily any) experience fighting and killing, but rather a) built-in "plot immunity" and b) congenital studliness---"the old blood flows strong in you" or "the Force is strong with this one" or stuff like that.

So, I generally assume (in more sword-and-sorcery games) that any adventurer worth his salt can do basic gem analysis. That's not really the case here. It just kinda seems goofy to be like "Oh yeah, back on the farm out in the middle of nowhere, we were analyzing gems all the time!"

So, in-character, the PCs don't really know exactly what they've gotten their hands on, but---as I posted IC---it would be reasonable for them to realize in rough terms that they have some valuable items.

The listed prices (see above or in the IC sblock) are what a jeweler or other NPC would give the PCs for them. In other words, not really interested in blowing a bunch of game time on gem negotiations. That said, if the PCs decide to just sell them to J. Random Dude OR sell them Maurice the Manipulator or Decius the Dishonest or whoever, then expect less. In other words, a good faith effort to find a reasonably honest purchaser would yield the listed sums.

Please ask if there are any questions!
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by MonsterMash »

I suspect stuffing the body into the log would have attracted attention.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#32 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Okay, the turn-off from the main road happened 15 miles east of Pontes.

After the party turned off, they went 0.75 miles north, 3 miles east, say 5.5 miles north, then 1 mile east.

That's 9.5 + 0.75 miles, which comes to 10.25 miles. I'll call that 11 miles to account for the distance y'all travelled to the northeastish of the planted pine-wood (attempting to fake northeastward movement).

So, 11 miles to get back to the main road. The party's moving at 72 miles per day. Seventy-two minus eleven is 61.

That's 61 miles of movement east on the main road.

(61 + 15 = 76).
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by MonsterMash »

If this fellow calls the watch I suspect a few coins well placed might see him arrested for wasting their time.
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by MonsterMash »

By my calculations we've used 6 days rations since leaving town so I've marked that off on the wiki.

Still got plenty of stuff and it has only been 7 days since we left Danum with 1 night in an inn.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Julius Sleazer »

MonsterMash wrote:By my calculations we've used 6 days rations since leaving town so I've marked that off on the wiki.

Still got plenty of stuff and it has only been 7 days since we left Danum with 1 night in an inn.

Yeah, that sounds right to me---I haven't had a chance to keep as close track as I'd like (the interruption, then I've been busy), but that sounds good.

Thanks for keeping an eye on that, man. I appreciate it.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#36 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Oh, XP.

1400 gp of gems, brought back to a town safely & successfully, equals 1400 XP.

1400/4= 350 base XP per man.

Decimus has a 10% XP bonus, so 350 + 35 = 385 XP for Decimus.

Every other character gets 368 XP each.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by thirdkingdom »

Julius Sleazer wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote: I'm fine with just leaving.

Hey, btw, Cadmus never cast any of his first-level spells (CLW and Detect Magic, I believe?) on the fifteenth. I'm fine with retconning in either one of those if you'd like. Just give me specifics.

I'm assuming the PCs left the woods at like 10:00 PM or something, very roughly, so technically time to withdraw a ways and use a few first-level spells before the stroke of midnight, I suppose.
Sorry dude, it's been a rough week and I just saw this/wiki where it looks like Cadmus is down 5 hp. Can he burn one CLW for the 15th and one for the 16th (if needed)?
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by Julius Sleazer »

CLW 15th: 1d6+1 2

CLW 16th: 1d6+1 2

Okay, so he'll still be down 1.

Going to burn any CLWs on the 17th? Your current first-level loadout is CLW x1 and Detect Magic x1.
Julius Sleazer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by Julius Sleazer »

Originally posted by Vektunaxa

If we travel 72 miles per day, then the 25 miles, plus the delays in that first town, should still only leave us around noon or so, right?
Yeah, I'm not even docking time for the very minor delays in the last settlement. You guys camped four miles west of that place on the 16th (rather than forced march), so 4 miles early AM + 25 miles equals 29 miles.

29/72 = about 40%, so a little bit before noon.

You're correct in that there's plenty of travel time left in the day.
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by MonsterMash »

Ok, I had thought it was later in the day so we could push on, but if we are concerned about being beaten to Camulodunum then I don't get why we went on a detour up into the forest (though it was a profitable trip all the same).

We've still got 4 weeks till the announced date of the auction assuming we still want to sell the mithril dagger at all.

Return to “Into the Unknown (B/X D&D)”