Expedition - Lug/Rescue II - 28 April, 1 VC

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Expedition - Lug/Rescue II - 28 April, 1 VC

#21 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar strides up to the door, drawing his sword as he goes. When he reaches the door, he pounds on it with the pommel of the sword. Wendall! It is Varas and Dorvar! Open the door, lad!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by AleBelly »

If Dorvar's hail garners no response, Varas will take a close look at the new lock. Is it one that he had seen Wendall buy?

Regardless, he'll check the lock for traps.

KE, I think you make that roll, right?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Keehnelf »

I do make that roll.

May 11, 1 VC - 8:40pm

Varas begins searching the door and lock for traps as Dorvar pounds on the steel surface of the portal with the pommel of his sword. It resounds across the moor and provokes unhappy reminders of how exposed the group is locked out of the tower in the open land after dark, making a ruckus.

A querulous voice descends from above. "Dorvar? Varas? Oh, what a surprise."It is The Wendall. "You've come with quite a group, I see. You know the tower doesn't have enough space to accommodate so many."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Zhym »

While Dorvar and Varas parlay with The Wendall, Lug turns to the mercenaries. "C'mon. Let's patrol the fence in case anything noticed all this noise."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Zhym »

After completing a circuit of the grounds (and assuming he spots nothing), Lug returns to see Dorvar and Varas talking with Wendall.

"Well?" he huffs, "Is he gonna let us in, or are we gonna camp out here? It's getting late. If the tower's too small anyway, let's make camp."
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Keehnelf »

The patrol spots nothing. Waiting on a response from either Dorvar or Varas.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by AleBelly »

"Wendall, there is plenty of room in the tower and in the basement. We all can fit.

Why are the locks changed? You assured us we could use this tower whenever we wanted. Open it up!"
replies Varas, trying to keep his anger in check.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

We do have seven adventurers, three mercenaries, and ten gnomes. That's probably a tight fit even if we used the basement and upper level.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Keehnelf »

There is a long pause before Wendall's voice calls out: "The basement is off-limits now. It houses--the library and sensitive material belonging to the Order of the Skull. I have room for...maybe five people. The rest will need to remain outside!"
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Zhym »

If you thought Wendall was annoying as a PC, wait until you meet the NPC version!

"Fine by me," mutters Lug under his breath. "I'd rather sleep in the mud than share a roof with that little twerp."
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Keehnelf »

The gnomes and mercenaries all collectively agree to wait outside if necessary as well.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by AleBelly »

"Whatever, Wendall. Let us in. I shouldn't need to remind you again that this tower is as much ours as it is yours. The gnomes and hired hands will sleep outside."
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Keehnelf »

Another long pause. "Fine, just--this is a sensitive area now. Lots of magical secrets here that I don't want your new friends prying into. Ground floor only: nobody goes downstairs or upstairs."

There is a long silence and then the sound of a tumbler turning in the lock of the iron door. The door cracks open, and the thief sees Wendall's head, still sporting its bandages unceremoniously wrapped about it, fancy velvet robes hanging stained and reeking mildly of sweat hanging about his scrawny frame. He has a few days' growth of late-adolescent wispy facial hair and old, sour breath. "Come in--but remember, secrets." He turns and retreats into the dark interior of the tower.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Zhym »

Lug stomps up to The Wendall and tries to punch it in the face. "This is for getting my friend Lars killed protecting your stupid tower!"

Fists of rage! (THAC0 18) [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8 [1d2+2] = 2+2 = 4

But the nimble Wendall sees the punch coming and easily dodges the blow.

If The Wendall doesn't retaliate, Lug storms back outside.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Keehnelf »

The Wendall recoils from Lug's assault. Horrified, he throws his hands up over his face and cries out, a shrill and piercing sound. Varas swears his keen thief-ears hears a sound of motion upstairs in response to the noise, but after a second it is still. As Lug begins to retreat, having made his point, Wendall throws both arms in the air and, trailing a thin stream of spittle down his chin, screams, "How dare you! Attempting to assault me in my home! You will regret that--immediately!" he begins making bizarre gestures with his hands and crying out in long-dead tongues!

Actions?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Zhym »

"You wanna fight?" growls Lug. "Let's fight." He throws another punch at the scrawny wizard.

Fists of rage! (THAC0 18) [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17 [1d2+2] = 1+2 = 3
Initiative: [1d6] = 4
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Keehnelf »

Lug's low wisdom gets the better even of his player, causing him to roll initiative first for the round even though he's the expedition leader!
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zhym »

I thought about that approximately five seconds after I rolled initiative. :D But I'll rationalize it by saying there's no guarantee that anyone else in the party will intervene in Lug's little tussle with Wendall or that if they did it would be to help Lug.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Keehnelf »

Very good points. It'll be interesting to see how this encounter shakes out! ;)
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Zhym »

I'm especially interested in finding out whether whoever is upstairs will help Wendall or also enjoys seeing the little slug get punched in the face. :)

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”