Strategy talk

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Strategy talk

#21 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:
Argennian wrote:Ok then, looks like we'll be going with a 3 shift rotation.

So, for clarificational purposes, I show the following:

Watch 1: (@ 8pm to 11pm):
- Nunyet
- Veneficus

Watch 2: (@ 11pm to 2am):
- Brok
- Yarl

Watch 3: (@ 2am to 5am):
- Francisco
- Cis

Hirelings: sleeping full night and getting up at end of last shift to help pack up camp

(Note: times might not be exact here but figure it's anywhere from a 3 to 3.5 hour shift on each rotation)

Yep, that's how I see it, as well.

OOC: Damn, forgot all about Kurn Briar, the thief in monk's robes!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by ravenn4544 »

Kurn smiles quietly -- with a pleased glint in his eye.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Argennian »

ravenn4544 wrote:Kurn smiles quietly -- with a pleased glint in his eye.

8-)

Well, let's hope that this whole thing goes down like I'm hoping. You know, something like the 'ol Group A and Group B lure in and shrelp Group C thang...
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Argennian »

Computer +1 wrote:Punch #2
[1d20] = 19
To hit 19 + 1 = 20 (Wheeee!)

Good show, man!

Let's all hope it's a half-orc haymaker!! :mrgreen:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by onlyme »

Who is this Derand that is paying the guards? Do we know him?
Sorry it was said and I skimmed over it...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Computer +1 »

Ok guys
So we have gotten some info outta the prisoner.

What do we want to do now?
Wait until night and then try to sneak over?
Scout over the area?
Kill each other?
Kill a tree?
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by onlyme »

I am thinking about us using the horn to draw them out, and then put a sleep (if that works on them) or some other spell to thin the numbers we have to attack. We would want to have the hornblower in a perfect place to avoid capture, while we could ambush them...

And one where if hundreds poured out, we could retreat or come up with plan B...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by rredmond »

Scout and sneak methinks.
if we use the horn, how many can the sleep handle? And its lower HD affected first or higher?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Computer +1 »

Considering that last time the horn went there was no response that we saw we may want to scout things a bit.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by onlyme »

totally agree that there is work to be done first... Just throwing out an attack strategy...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by Alethan »

No killing trees!
(Unless, of course, we are to then cut it up into lumber...)

I'm good with scouting.

Do we send the thief or the ranger, though?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Argennian »

Brok wants to follow up on Yarl's idea of having the man sketch out a diagram of the temple and just where the guards are, the barracks, Ah Neran's- quarters, etc. At least that way we'd have an idea of where we'd encounter resistance and mayhap utilize a secret or back door, like the one he described going down into the crypts below??

I had originally thought about a daytime assault because the orcs would be at a disadvantage if we could draw them out, but it appears the Red Blade are humans as well! I'm against using the horn for anything other than a plan B diversion and perhaps we could use the red cloaks we got from that patrol to at least approach closer and spring a nasty on them!

Regardless, we have to know more particulars and details if we are going to come up with and agree on a assault plan A! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Computer +1 »

Argennian wrote:Brok wants to follow up on Yarl's idea of having the man sketch out a diagram of the temple and just where the guards are, the barracks, Ah Neran's- quarters, etc. At least that way we'd have an idea of where we'd encounter resistance and mayhap utilize a secret or back door, like the one he described going down into the crypts below??

I had originally thought about a daytime assault because the orcs would be at a disadvantage if we could draw them out, but it appears the Red Blade are humans as well! I'm against using the horn for anything other than a plan B diversion and perhaps we could use the red cloaks we got from that patrol to at least approach closer and spring a nasty on them!

Regardless, we have to know more particulars and details if we are going to come up with and agree on a assault plan A! :)
I agree on all points.

I also think we should send both the thief and ranger to scout as we speak to the prisoner and make plans. They can scout as a team or split up, whatever suits you guys.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by Alethan »

Computer +1 wrote:
Argennian wrote:Brok wants to follow up on Yarl's idea of having the man sketch out a diagram of the temple and just where the guards are, the barracks, Ah Neran's- quarters, etc. At least that way we'd have an idea of where we'd encounter resistance and mayhap utilize a secret or back door, like the one he described going down into the crypts below??

I agree on all points.

I also think we should send both the thief and ranger to scout as we speak to the prisoner and make plans. They can scout as a team or split up, whatever suits you guys.
That works for the ranger...
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by onlyme »

Couple of questions...

how long as it been since we killed the patrol? ie would they be looking for them by now? or soon?
It is morning now, I believe, so waiting till night may be too long. Once they start looking for the patrol, the disguise element is greatly diminished, imo.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by Alethan »

True. Maybe they'll send out search parties and we can take them a smaller group at a time.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Argennian »

I thought about that as well. Perhaps the prisoner can tell us how he and the others up there are set up for rations and supplies, i.e. - how long are they prepared to stay?

One of the things I was concerned about is another group arriving to either meet with or reinforce those already at the temple. Wonder if our guy knows anything about that or could confirm either way?

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Nuke66 »

they are waiting for reinforcements now, this is the advance group. sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that earlier. I still say split 'em into two groups or do some hit and run if we can.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Argennian »

Nuke66 wrote:they are waiting for reinforcements now, this is the advance group. sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that earlier. I still say split 'em into two groups or do some hit and run if we can.
Ha! So that stuck up turd Brok was right! :P

And who says paranoia is a bad thing? It's a freaking survival trait I tells ya! 8-)

Having this confirmed makes me want to go and bang these bastards right now! Although under different conditional circumstances, I would prefer to wait for a predawn attack or at least just before they're to change guard shifts. But in lieu of this new intel, I say we hit them asap guerrilla-style and fall back, rescuing the girl if possible.

Btw, Brok still believes that this Ah Neran or at least one of his lieutenants is in the temple or the crypt below. He really wants to save that prisoner, if the party can manage it. Besides, she might be someone of importance to our beneficiaries and could tell us more details about the place.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by onlyme »

I apologize, but cant quite grasp what goes in here versus ooc'd text in action thread...
anyway, what do we need to do before attacking?

resolve what to do with the prisoner... assume eliminate him?
determine game plan for attack? can my multiclass pc have a weapon ready and then do a spell? or does he need his hands free? I think I need Sleep armed and loaded in case we get outnumbered.

what else? split up and attack from other sides? lure and ambush?

Return to “Incursion into Newiron - OSRIC”