The Temple of Pelor (1)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Temple of Pelor (Ugghra Epi Orando)

#21 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

The coldblooded blue blood turned away in disgust and revulsion at Ernie's unmanly blubbering about his poor, demented mother. Sir Ugghra's sneering distaste at all this wanton self pity rendered him uncharacteristically speechless, allowing the elf and the ranger to continue coddling the mewling monk who, clearly, had never before encountered the concept of a stiff upper lip!

'Did Ernie Actually Believe He Was the Only Man to Have Ever Experienced the Cruel Mockery of His Peers?!' the heartless halfbreed wondered disdainfully.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#22 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie stops what he is doing and looks confused when Orando offers up his servant. The boy's eyes widen when he notices the magical being trying to take his tools. Eventually, he gladly gives up his scraper and rag to the invisible helper. Ummmmm......Thanks!

When the boy is offered the wine, he almost lets out a squeal of glee. He looks deeply into the eyes of the attractive elf but his own eyes still betray remnants of confusion.

He smiles then takes a long pull off the wine skin and sits on the base of the statue. He gives Orando an awkward wink and a thank you ma'am as he continues the conversation.

Well, I don't suppose it would do any harm if you talked to my mom. I don't know how you think she will be able to help you but, if you are as nice to her as you are to me, I don't see no harm in it. He flashes another uncomfortable smile Orando's way.

I just hope she doesn't mind the looks of..........that one. He points to Sir Ugghra. No offense meant of course.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

There is an older lady that is now walking up the path towards the temple. She seems intent on getting there and will likely pass you at the statue.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Inferno »

Grateful and relieved to find any excuse to divert himself from the embarrassing and unseemly spectacle of a grown man crying, Sir Ugghra discretely glances over at the elderly woman, attempting to discern her station by her clothes, poise and bearing.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Her poise is nonexistent and her cloth is poor.

Her bearing is straight ahead, she doesn't even seem to be noticing you as she approaches.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra approached the old woman, his eagerness to flee Ernie's shameful display overcoming his natural reticence to engage with commoners.

"Excuse me, Madam. If I May Please Impose Upon You for But a Moment of Your Time?" his lovely voice lilted.

If the old woman didn't flee in terror at the sight of him, the aristocratic abomination would bow and formally introduce himself. "Sir Ugghra Caine, At Your Service, Madam. I am Here as An Agent of the Crown, Charged with Investigating the Mysterious Disappearances that have Plagued Brotherton for Years Now. I Was Wondering What You Might Be Able To Share, to Aid in This Investigation?"

He had come quite close to the elderly peasant, so was careful to breathe through his mouth.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Old Woman

The woman stops her advance when the brutish half-orc accosts her. She looks on him with disgust.

What the? Ernie! Who are these strangers, and what are you doing drinking......and lounging?

She looks at Ugghra closely enough for him to see into her eyes. They are strange eyes. They look normal enough at first, but then it's seems to him that she is looking right through him. Her stare is most unpleasant.

The old woman notices Orando's porter doing the cleaning and she loses it.

What is going on here Ernie? What sort of black magic is this? She tries to push past Ugghra and continue on up the lane.

Out of my way brute! I must go and inform Brother Tomas of this intrusion immediately!

Ernie just hangs his head and doesn't respond. Now I've gone and done it, he says under his breath.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Inferno »

"Of Course, Madam. Please Forgive Me," the ungentlemanly gentleman said as he followed the Looker at a respectful distance. He was delighted to hear that Brother Tomas was about to be forcefully pulled from his prayers by Ernie's mother, and would be available after all for Sir Ugghra's long ignored questions.

It was ironic, really. Had Ernie simply minded his betters and produced Brother Tomas when requested, Ernie wouldn't be in trouble now. A valuable lesson for the boy, and hopefully one that stuck.
"Praise Quo, God of the Nobility and Of Knowing One's Place," Ugghra thought with a satisfied smile.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#29 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The woman gives Ugghra a mean look, up and down.
What the heck are you supposed to be anyway?

She then walks past him to Ernie. She pays no heed to Epi but gives Orando an inquisitive look.
You just wait till Brother Tomas hears about this Ernie. Hanging around with ruffians is not good behavior for an acolyte of Pelor.

As she heads towards the temple, Ernie calls out to her.
You know better than to disturb him. You will have to wait JUST LIKE THESE FOLKS!

He then turns back to the three of you.
Thats Miss Hendricks. She's the cleaning lady. Did you see her eyes? She is one of them.

She won't dare disturb Brother Tomas from his rituals, so I'm safe.....till the morning at least.

He smiles and takes another drink of wine.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Inferno »

Not hearing Ernie's explanation, the welldressed mongrel continues to follow the old woman inside at a respectful distance.

Ever helpful, especially to a lady in distress, chivalric Sir Ugghra stands ready to ably aid her in her righteous quest to rouse the habitually tardy Brother Tomas from his ill-timed rest, if it appears she requires assistance.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie looks to Orando again, this time shaking his head.

Hic, your ugly, overbearing friend is dead set on annoying and interrupting our poor old priest isn't he? Is he always like that? Hic. He takes another quick swig.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Grognardsw »

I'm not able to post as much on weekends.

If its not too late Orando will cast Friends spell on the mother after she passes, seeing the chilly response she's given. If successful, he'll talk to her befroe she goes in.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It is definitely not too late to intervene.

I realize that everyone has varying posting rates and I don't want anyone to feel like we can't stop or even back up in order to get a certain action in. If it still makes sense to the story, and we're not in a round by round situation, (like combat) I have no problem going back to let you try an idea.

I just like to keep things moving in a roleplaying encounter when I can. If you can only post one question or sentence every two days or so, one game conversation could take weeks of real time. Also, some players lose interest quickly when there is too much talking and not enough killing. :D

If you ever feel like you were skipped over, please feel free to jump in with your ideas anytime. If it makes sense, we can fit it into the story.
As Miss Hendricks, the cleaning lady, passes the group and walks towards the temple, Orando works his magic on the old woman. Suddenly she spins back around to take another look at the mysterious elf.

How is it that you are so beautiful and charming when your big friend there is so ugly and frightening?
Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"Maam, one can't always judge a book by its cover. I hope that if you get by his appearance you'll see that his intentions are well meant."
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Inferno »

As the old Looker woman returned to Ernie, no doubt to deliver further well-deserved reprimands, Sir Ugghra stopped following her. Instead, he continued up the steps.

The gallant grotesque entered the temple and helpfully shouted, "Brother Tomas! Do Come Quick! I Say, There's an Emergency! A Woman in Distress is Shrieking Your Name on the Steps of the Temple! From the Deranged Look in Her Eye, I Fear She Suffers from Acute Hysteria! There's No Time To Lose! Come Quick! Brother Tomas!"

The compassionate and kind creature, concerned only for the welfare of an elderly lady in the throes of anguish and grief, will continue shouting until the good, noble priest of Pelor finally emerged from hiding. ;)
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, enchanter

"Thank you Ernie for your help. You have a good heart; Pelor surely smiles upon you. Perhaps later today we can meet your mother."

Upon seeing the old woman approach and turn hostile, Orando discretely casts Benai's Befriendment.  

Orando smiles, approaches the old woman, bows and kisses her hand. "You speak with wisdom, dear friend. Forgive Sir Ugghra -  he is playing the hand the gods have dealt him. Ernie has been most helpful; don't be too hard on him. We are here on business close to Brother Tomas' heart, hence our request to speak with him. If you can mention this in your words with him, Pelor would surely smile upon you."

Orando watches her eyes and mannerisms for anything unusual.

"I see a gleam in your eyes. You seem possessed of special... insight? Spirit? What is it that I see?"

When Ugghra starts yelling, Orando tries to stop him.

"If we truly cannot see the Brother until tomorrow, that is okay. We have others we can question."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Miss Hendricks nods and smiles a brown toothed grin at Epi's words of wisdom. She seems much more friendly to you all now.

She continues holding Orando's hand as he stares into her eyes. After he mentions the gleam she responds.

Why, whatever do you mean deary? My eyes work the same as everybody else's. I have no special sight, but I do see something special that I'd like to see more of if you get my meaning.

She keeps winking and stroking Orando's hand.

I feel like I must be honest with you though deary. When I was mad before, I was just posturing when I said I would alert Brother Tomas. I know he is not to be disturbed from now until morning. If I was you cutie, I would get your big friend to shut his large mouth before he disturbs the priest. He is a powerful spell caster and hates when he has to deviate from his usual routine.

Ugghra gets no reply from anywhere in the temple.
Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

Epi sighs, "I'll go see I I can shut the big lug up." She heads towards the temple, "Ugghra leave the poor brother alone. Surely you understand one communing with his god. Now get your butt out here."
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Inferno »

Upon witnessing no response at all inside a Temple of Pelor to earnest cries of emergency, and dire pleas for immediate aid involving a lady in distress, the investigating knight was genuinely surprised. Brother Tomas had failed another test.
Cauchy wrote:Epi
"Ugghra leave the poor brother alone. Surely you understand one communing with his god..."
Sir Ugghra was suddenly calm and composed. He said to Epi, "I Do. But I Dare Say, Sir, That If I Heard Urgent Calls For Help Connected to My Name, I Might Be Bothered to Pull Myself Away From My Humble Devotion for Just a Few Precious Moments. Or at the very least Send Someone To Investigate. Wouldn't You? Why Didn't Tomas?
"What Strange Behaviour! How Curious. I Wonder Why Brother Tomas So Desperately Wishes to Avoid Us At All Costs?
"I Have Led Inquiries into Crimes Against the Crown Before, Sir, and I Don't Mind Telling You, Witnesses that Go To Ridiculous Lengths to Avoid Questioning Often Do So For A Reason.
"One of Our Many Avenues of Investigation is to Watch for Townsfolk Behaving Strangely. Who is Acting More Strangely Than Brother Tomas? Except, perhaps, the Lady Mayor herself?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#40 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

"Well I can't argue with you about who is the strangest person in this town." Though she thinks to herself, You could certainly be in the running. "By the way, it would be ma'am not sir."

Return to “Can You Help A Brother Out? (1E)”