[Completed] - Orrin/Logging - 21 April, 1 VC

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Orrin/Logging - 21 April, 1 VC

#21 Post by Zorroroaster »

Come on. A lordly centaur? Instant respect. :D
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin helps himself to a hunk of bread and cuts a slice of cheese. He nods in thanks to the centaur and puts in in his mouth, chewing with obvious relish.

"I suppose there are numerous reasons for our conflict with the goblins. Just by wandering these lands goblin troops have either attacked on sight or attempted to capture us and our allies. From what I've learned, goblins seems to have taken control of the Finger, which I suspect is an ancient stronghold of my people. That alone would give me cause to take up arms against them. Finally, the lord of the city we are based in has placed bounty on the head of the goblin leader. This last point is of secondary importance to me, although I cannot speak for my fellows here. I am not simply a mercenary, and venture beyond the city with desires of my own."

"Simply put they have attacked us repeatedly, and they wrongfully occupy a place of personal importance to me."

Orrin continues to eat, looking to the others in case they have something to add.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro nods thoughtfully as Orrin speaks, then looks around the circle to see if any others seem likely to chime in.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Zhym »

"They fight me. I fight them," says Lug, as if it's the simplest matter ever.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Remus gives the mythical creature an appraising look, "I'm a hunter, I hunt things worth hunting..."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro raises and eyebrow and his flanks tense. "Worth hunting? What kind of criteria do you use to make a decision such as that?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Zhym »

Lug bites into a piece of fruit. He gives Remus the stink-eye and slides a few inches further away from him.

"This is very tasty," he says, hoping to distract from Remus's line of conversation.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem eats and drinks freely while listening intently.

I would like to hear more about you and your allies. How long have you lived in these lands?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro nods distractedly in Lug's direction and waves a hand toward the tray as though urging him to eat more. His gaze, however, remains fixed on Remus.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Remus thinks for a moment, "Many qualities to be truthful. rarity of the creature, it's general power, how dangerous it is. I seek to hunt the strongest and most terrible creature in this land, adding it's head as a trophy of either my home back in the vale, or any new lodgings I may find out in this land..." Seeing the tension Remus set's his crossbow on his shoulder in a relaxed form to ease the tension, "You need not worry about me now, you have greeted me as a guest and I am no home wrecker. While you meet several qualifications I would consider a worthy hunt, you aren't on my list quite yet. However, you live this land, do you have any information for an old hunter? Perhaps places that dangerous creatures roam or can be found, after all, I take out them and you can probably sleep safer no?" He gives the creature a smile, "I'm a hunter, not a fool. I know that in order to tame a land you gotta make friends with it's people, and I never believed the town of Vaul was this lands people."

He continues, "So, friends? You help me and I will certainly help you when you need it."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by GTan_Baq »

Naila says, "The goblins have attacked humans unprovoked so that alone makes them my enemy."
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro smiles, but there is a certain hardness around his eyes that anyone with a Wisdom of 10 or higher can interpret."So, it is mostly the fact that I am offering you hospitality that keeps you from attempting to hunt me? Or that you think I might be able to offer you other targets to hunt...first?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

Lug smiles back at Xavro and helps himself to some bread and cheese.

He tries to change the subject from the topic of hunting and the hunted. "Say, do you know what a tree spirit's hair might be good for? This lovely and charming lass who lives in a tree gave me some. She seemed to think it was quite a valuable gift."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Remus immediately tells the glance from Xavro, "You haven't made it on my list for a few reasons. One is I'm not hunting anything now, a hunt is a sacred thing, something to be respected. Going around killing stuff is just that, killing stuff. I've just arrived to this land and know nothing of it's dangers or inhabitants, before I go setting anything up I need a lay of the land. Second, yeah, to a degree you offering hospitality. I'm no savage, While I seek to test my mettle against strong opponents I don't hunt goodly creatures, and you've been nothing but good to me and this group." Remus sighs, sets down his crossbow, and begins putting his hand axe next to it and taking out a large dagger from his boot, also setting it down next to his crossbow, before walking up to Xavro. he keeps his pace slow and watches his reactions, if he is only met with an awareness then he will continue until he is a few feet from Xavro, extending his hand towards him.

"I mean what I say, I'm looking for friends right now and I don't hunt my friends. I'd be grateful if you helped me with my goal and in return I'd help you with any of yours, some probably including getting rid of some unsavory things I'd bet. So, friends?"

If Remus's 14 wisdom decides that getting closer to Xavro is a bad idea he will not walk further up to him and instead say the rest from a safer distance.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin shoots Remus an angry look.

"My apologies, sir. Remus is new to our group, and this is his first foray with us. We do not know him well, and I can assure you he does not at all speak for any of the rest of us. I apologise if his reckless words have put you on your guard. It was not my intention, nor is it that of my colleagues here."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Remus, in fact, ignores everyone else and solely stares at Xavro. Waiting for his response

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro watches Remus warily throughout his speech, and as he approaches, hand out, Xavro rises back to a standing position, towering over him perhaps with his height of perhaps eight-and-a-half feet overall. When Remus extends a hand, Xavro shakes his head slightly, eyes narrow. "I appreciate that you are sincere in your words, and mean no disrespect, but you still seem dangerous to me, so I will not take your offered hand. A hunt should take place when one will otherwise starve--or if a beast has grown to be too much of a danger to its environment. While such a beast roams, nothing can truly live in harmony with its surroundings."

The centaur raises the head of his staff toward the tree under which the party is picnicking, and begins to slowly and deliberately pace his way around it. "I have lived in this forest since before these trees were seedlings. I brought them to this land as nuts, planted them in the rich soil and have tended them myself over many long years. I have protected them from dangers, and rarely found the need to kill any creature. I do not accuse you of recklessness, but I am nervous of such talk. It rings of selfishness--to do a thing because it is difficult, not because the doing has value but in order to demonstrate one's own value. We all have value only in so far as the things we do have value. Otherwise, we are empty husks, or no better than the beasts of the wild. At least they know that to seek out a dangerous foe when one has no desperate need to do so is folly." He shrugs.

"But no matter. You are no imminent threat to this forest or its inhabitants. We are all poor sport for you, too indolent and too tame." He laughs, a sound like a hand knocking on polished wood. "You have come in search of these trees. These trees you have found--let me ask now: when you have slain all the goblins with the mighty bow you make from these branches, what then will you do?"
Last edited by Keehnelf on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zhym »

Lug stops chewing. He's taken aback, as if he's never even thought of that question before.

"I've never even thought of that question before," he says after swallowing. "I guess I figure there will always be goblins. I'd probably be sad if there weren't a few of them about."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Keehnelf »

April 21, 1 VC - 12:50pm

Xavro nods. "That is probably true. Enjoy your meal, and allow me to consider your request. I will return at twilight."

He takes his leave and disappears off among the trees.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Remus allows the centaur to leave without a word, simply going back and gathering his things, putting them where they belong. He does not eat the offered food but instead eats a bit of his own rations. He holds his large crossbow in a easy manner across his leg, an inquisitive look upon his face as he scans the forest.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”