The Language at the Threshold

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Language at the Threshold

#21 Post by Grognardsw »

Fulci wrote:Isaiah was just about to get all high and mighty, ready to add some more "son, you don't understand anything" phrases, but the almost sad tone of agent Baines calms him down.
"I'm... I'm sorry, agent. The last thing I want is ruining the investigation."

He stays silent for a little while, pondering.

"But does that mean that you believe me?"
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by Fulci »

I'm okay with that! Let's make it so that Reginald is catching up with Isaiah and Gwen Baines AFTER these two posts, okay?

Because I'm sure Isaiah and Gwen would have had a totally different conversation with a third person around. Agent Baines wouldn't have admitted to deception, etc.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Grognardsw »

Fulci wrote:I'm okay with that! Let's make it so that Reginald is catching up with Isaiah and Gwen Baines AFTER these two posts, okay?

Because I'm sure Isaiah and Gwen would have had a totally different conversation with a third person around. Agent Baines wouldn't have admitted to deception, etc.
Okay.
Anders Molin
Scout
Scout

#24 Post by Anders Molin »

Eddie Sharpe, reporter
With Baines, Reginald and Isaiah out of the apartment, things quieted down considerably. Eddie turned to Robert and said, "Well, you saw that man steal my roll of film. Would it be possible for me to return here and take some more pictures once I've picked up another roll?"

Eddie decided to test right away if Baines' scare tactics had worked on Robert: "And what did his partner Mr Smith tell you about the investigation? It sounds to me like they're giving mixed messages."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Grognardsw »

Anders Molin wrote:Eddie Sharpe, reporter
With Baines, Reginald and Isaiah out of the apartment, things quieted down considerably. Eddie turned to Robert and said, "Well, you saw that man steal my roll of film. Would it be possible for me to return here and take some more pictures once I've picked up another roll?"

Eddie decided to test right away if Baines' scare tactics had worked on Robert: "And what did his partner Mr Smith tell you about the investigation? It sounds to me like they're giving mixed messages."
Robert Angell

closes the door as Baines and Isaiah, then Reginald, leave. "That was strange."

"Yes, I guess you can take more photos," he says reluctantly. "I've decided to move out anyway, so next week I'll be gone. Too much weirdness here."

"Mr. Smith said the investigation was for multiple murders, done in particularly violent manner. He didn't say exactly how. Similar questions to what was asked by you and the others. No mention of drugs. Mr. Smith did take one of Tim's phonograph records though."
thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Fulci wrote:Isaiah was just about to get all high and mighty, ready to add some more "son, you don't understand anything" phrases, but the almost sad tone of agent Baines calms him down.
"I'm... I'm sorry, agent. The last thing I want is ruining the investigation."

He stays silent for a little while, pondering.

"But does that mean that you believe me?"
Okay, this is a bit confusing but bear with me :lol: . This post is an additional part of the conversation that took place before Reginald joins the group

Baines smiles, "Coincidences aren't that specific and frequent Mr.Bartlett, it's wza-", he stops for a second then continues, "I don't think it's a cult per se but a sort of maniac initiator be-", he sees Reginald approaching, "please, don't share any of this with anyone, including Mr.Wilkins. We can't trust anyone"

"Oh hello Mr.Wilkins, how can I help you?"
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer
Reginald doesn't trust the BOI agent, who clearly knows more than he is letting on. And Bartlett may be a crazy old coot, but he also has important information.

I'm coming with you, says Reginald. I may be able to help you with Timothy's notes. He was my clerk, after all.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
Anders Molin
Scout
Scout

#28 Post by Anders Molin »

Eddie Sharpe, reporter
"Mr Angell, do you remember the name of the phonographic record agent Smith took?"

After arranging for a return later in the day, Eddie exited the apartment, entered the street and looked for any signs of Reginald or Isaiah. If I don't find them here, I'll have to try to catch them later at the book shop, Eddie thought.
The next bit assumes Baines, Reginald and Isaiah are already gone.
Eddie went back the the offices of the Providence Journal. He briefly recounted the incident with the stolen roll of film to Sevellon Brown - that, and the fact that a government official tried to scare a member of the press from investigating a story in his town. Eddie doubted if Sevellon was able - or even willing - to make something of it, but there was no reason not to tell him.

Before returning to Robert Angell for another round of photographs, Eddie scribbled a note, put it in an envelope and took a cab past Reginald's book store. Sliding the envelope under the door, he hoped either Reginald or Isaiah would be the first to see it:
Mr Wilkins,
I have information about the case in Arkham, including things Agent Baines knows nothing about. All I am willing to put into print is that the situation is ongoing.

Contact me through the office of Sevellon Brown, editor at the Providence Journal. Leave Mr Baines out of this.
/Eddie Sharpe
With the message delivered, Eddie continued on to Robert Angell.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Grognardsw »

BOI Agent Gwen Baines and Isaiah Barrlett step out onto the sidewalk outside Robert Angell's apartment. Baines is explaining his belief that it is not a cult per se behind the murders. Reginald Wilkins shows up and Baines stops talking.

"I'm coming with you," says the book dealer.

The three men drive to 93 Court Street. Two police cars are parked outside the court yard gate.

As they walk through the court yard gates, Baines spots a young turk - maybe 13 or 14 - rifling through the trash barrel where Baines left his wallet and notebook. The kid's eyes widen as he sees the three men approach.

Meanwhile, inside Robert Angell's apartment...

"Yes, it was the Hepcats of Ulthar," answers Robert to Eddie's question. "A progressive jazz quartet. He had seen them play at a local club."

The Arkham Gazette reporter arranges a photo shoot later that afternoon. Eddie then visits the Providence Journal.

"That's a tough break kid," says Sevellon about the Baines encounter. "Maybe he just wants to keep his cards close to his vest with the investigation still going."

While at the Journal's offices he calls his own newsroom at the Arkham Gazette for a general update with his editor. He also learns that Dr. Francis Morgan of Miskatonic University, the archeology professor who was co-leader of the dig at the Old Mill, left a message in response to Eddie's own message. There is a phone number that Eddie can call.

The reporter then returns to Robert's apartment with more film and finishes his photo session.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Fulci »

Isaiah Bartlett, crazy wise man
Grognardsw wrote:BOI Agent Gwen Baines and Isaiah Barrlett step out onto the sidewalk outside Robert Angell's apartment. Baines is explaining his belief that it is not a cult per se behind the murders. Reginald Wilkins shows up and Baines stops talking.

"I'm coming with you," says the book dealer.

The three men drive to 93 Court Street. Two police cars are parked outside the court yard gate.

As they walk through the court yard gates, Baines spots a young turk - maybe 13 or 14 - rifling through the trash barrel where Baines left his wallet and notebook. The kid's eyes widen as he sees the three men approach.

Isaiah Bartlett doesn't mind Wilkins tagging along in general - but right now, when the agent was just about to share some more information, the book dealer's presence is uncalled for. Still, he cannot say anything against it. He keeps silent while they drive.
G A M E S :

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Gwen Baines, BOI

"I have no problem with you joining us, as long as you keep anything you learn a secret".

-----------

Baines sees the kid going through the trashcan, "Hey there kid, find anything interesting there?", he gets really close to the boy.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Grognardsw »

As Baines approaches him, the kid bolts!

He's clutching a wallet and notebook. He's running toward the left building of the three, no. 91 Court Street.
thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Baines immediately follows after him yelling, "THIEF!!! THIEF!!!".

Chase: [1d100] = 98, Chase: [1d100] = 91, Chase: [1d100] = 20, Chase: [1d100] = 42
Last edited by thesniperknight1 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anders Molin
Scout
Scout

#34 Post by Anders Molin »

Eddie Sharpe, reporter
An ongoing situation, indeed, Eddie thought. It's been a while since I had a story with this many leads to follow up on at the same time. Thank God for telephones! Sitting down at his loaned desk at the Journal office, he opened up his notebook and called the number Dr Morgan had given. Hopefully, the archaeologist would be able to shed some light on the dig and the findings.
Assuming Dr Morgan is available on the phone:
"Dr Morgan? This is Eddie Sharpe - thank you for telephoning me back. I'm looking for information on the dig outside Marblehead you were co-sponsoring with Dr Clarke. As you may know, the police have found some disturbing things at the site - things that are highly suggestive of a horrible crime having been committed nearby.

Dr Morgan, could you tell me the purpose of the dig? Were you searching for anything in particular? Did you find anything unexpected? Did you notice any strange occurences during your time at the site - any noises, animals, people?"
Last edited by Anders Molin on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer
With Baines gone for the moment, Reginald turns to Isaiah. What did Baines tell you before I got here? he asks. He knows something about what happened to Timothy, something he's not telling us. That fact leads me to suspect that you may be right after all, at least about some of what's going on. That's why it's crucial that I review Timothy's notes with you.

Reginald looks around, his eyes following Baines and the youth. I wonder what the child stole that has Baines so upset.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by Fulci »

Isaiah Bartlett, crazy wise man

"What is going on here?" Isaiah ask a purely rhetorical question... He is sure Reginald Wilkins was as surprised to see agent Baines take off chasing some street urchin.

"This government man has a great deal of information, but he doesn't trust you and didn't have time to share any of it before you joined us. I will try to have some more private talk with him. He isn't blaming Carver junior alone, which is a good thing. He seems to understand that we are facing something much bigger than us. But he thinks there is a single person behind this whole thing."
G A M E S :

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Grognardsw »

Anders Molin wrote:Eddie Sharpe, reporter
An ongoing situation, indeed, Eddie thought. It's been a while since I had a story with this many leads to follow up on at the same time. Thank God for telephones! Sitting down at his loaned desk at the Journal office, he opened up his notebook and called the number Dr Morgan had given. Hopefully, the archaeologist would be able to shed some light on the dig and the findings.
Assuming Dr Morgan is available on the phone:
"Dr Morgan? This is Eddie Sharpe - thank you for telephoning me back. I'm looking for information on the dig outside Marblehead you were co-sponsoring with Dr Clarke. As you may know, the police have found some disturbing things at the site - things that are highly suggestive of a horrible crime having been committed nearby.

Dr Morgan, could you tell me the purpose of the dig? Were you searching for anything in particular? Did you find anything unexpected? Did you notice any strange occurences during your time at the site - any noises, animals, people?"

Arkham Gazette Reporter Eddie Sharpe
rings back Dr. Francis Morgan, Miskatonic University assistant professor of archeology.

"Hello Mr. Sharpe, how are you?"

"Always glad to talk about our archeology program here. Our summer program for graduate students focuses on New England. Such a wealth of history in our own backyard!"

He continues to ramble, obviously thinking Eddie to be writing a story on the archeology program. While discussing indigenous native cultures, trading patterns among tribes and the extant of seafood in the native diet, he gets around to answering Eddie's questions.

"The old mill dig was a bit different, researching early industrial technology related to our major industries of the time. That being of course farming, fishing and ship building. The mill manufactured tools for these industries. The mill was built on a former Indian trading post."

"We found industrial artifacts and further down in the basement excavations a mix of Native American artifacts. What we expected to find, quite honestly. Strange occurences? No, I can't say we did. Why do you ask?"
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Grognardsw »

BOI agent Gwen Baines chases the boy who grabbed his wallet and notebook, leaving Isaiah and Reginald alone.

The young turk has a head start and is spry one, his youthful legs sprinting. He disappears inside the adjacent building (no. 91). Baines is quick on his heels, momentarily distracted by the wall mural and its addition of Carcosa in the picture. He stands there, arms raised in the air, a sardonic look on his face. That wasn't there two hours ago. Baines doesn't have time to think about it as he chases the boy into the building.

He sees the kid running down the first floor hallway and down the back stairs into the basement.

Meanwhile, Reginald and Isaiah confirm their mutual suspicions that Agent Baines is holding back information. They wonder if it is just Baines, or the BOI itself. Baines' partner Ezekial Smith seemed more straight forward, according to Robert Angell. Isaiah hopes to get more information from the elusive Baines in private conversation.

As the two chat they see two Providence police officers exit building no. 93 carrying a large open box filled with books and random items.
thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Gwen Baines, BOI

Baines is confused to see Carcosa in the mural but he doesn't over think it, he has more important matters to deal with. He continues his chase whispering "Thief" rather than shout it out of exhaustion.

Chase: [1d100] = 38, Chase: [1d100] = 94, Chase: [1d100] = 96, Chase: [1d100] = 22
Anders Molin
Scout
Scout

#40 Post by Anders Molin »

Eddie Sharpe, reporter
"Oh, I'm just asking about strange occurences because of a hunch, nothing more. Thank you for your help, Dr Morgan!" Eddie finished the phone call, sat back in his chair, lit a cigarette and consulted his notebook.

Thinking back on the events at the Angell apartment this morning, Eddie reflected on the fact that Reginald did not know the identity of Timothy's new client. Eddie had not been willing to share that information with the BOI agent around, but it now seemed the next logical step. Eddie assumed he needed to wait for Reginald to see the note Eddie had left at the book shop, or to go over there again later on.

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”