And the Quest Begins....

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: And the Quest Begins....

#21 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Storm11 wrote:Halo will try and get a sense of any evil around the stranger.

He will wave from the back of the wagon, a hand on the massive sword strapped to his back, just incase all is not what it seems.
The paladin gets no evil vibe from the stranger whatsoever.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Scott308 wrote:The Duke of Kane contacted my monastery for assistance with some troubles in the Cloudscapes, and I was chosen to fulfill that request. I was told there would be a group of adventurers who would be along to accompany me. Be you they? He looks over the party, smiling at them.
Drez "Aye that'd be us. Welcome to the party friend." Drez offers a friendly smile from the wagon.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#23 Post by Scott308 »

Well, I am pleased to make your acquaintances. Did the Duke give any idea what kind of trouble we will be facing? If not, I have some information that might be of interest. I spoke with a caravan the other day as I made my way here from my monastery. They told a tale of being attacked by devil birds from the sky. Unfortunately, a number of them were killed before the rest escaped. They were able to kill one of these devil birds and gave me a picture they found on it. They didn't really offer much more information and seemed eager to put miles between them and these birds so I didn't press them further.

He climbs into the wagon, and looks at the elf. Xanophia, is it? I shall answer your question, although it may not be as satisfying as you would like. I have no name. I went to the monastery as a young child, and we refer to each other by our titles. I am Superior Master, but you do not need to call me that. I do not remember what my name used to be anymore, so you may call me what you wish.

Rob, can you edit that picture to this post? I cannot figure out how to make it work from my iPad.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Thomas speaks up in a gruff tone, "So Monk it is then." Thomas nods, concluding the conversation, and looks at the surrounding area.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Storm11 »

Professor X springs to mind for some reason says Halo with a smile. devil birds was it. I would sorely like to see these
Greys Campaign.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#26 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The picture...
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 622 times

Otto hurries the group along again, obviously worried about something. As you exchange pleasantries with the newcomer, he moves the wagon forward towards your last leg of the trip. You eventually come to a strange intersection with a turnaround and Otto pulls the wagon around to face the way that you came.

Farewell friends. The village you seek is just up around the next bend.

He lets you unload you're gear and as soon as you do, he pulls away in the opposite direction.

You've noticed that as you have been traveling towards the village of Greenville the sky has grown darker. The thin white clouds which previously streaked the bright blue sky have given way to a large grey smudge which masks the light. Judging by the clouds hanging over the mountains a fierce storm is on its way. You can feel a chill in the air as the temperature seems to be dropping as well.

Suddenly, from an old trail through the woods emerges an aged team of horses pulling a creaking and decrepit wagon. A man and woman stare in surprise while three children in the back of the wagon giggle at you.

The obvious farmer looks at you all with one raised eyebrow and says...

Hey there strangers! You folks headin inta town to watch the examination?
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Storm11 »

hail there good folk, it looks like we are in for some nasty weather. We would sure like to be within the bounds of the village before it hits. What examination would that be sir? says Halo with a wave and a smile.
Greys Campaign.
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Thomas steps forward, his tone rough and authoritative, "Indeed, that and more. Are you willing to give us a lift into town?"
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#29 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The children laugh loudly and point at Halo after he speaks.

Weather? Ahhh, I don't think that's weather yer seein. The clouds is been dark like that fer a while now. No one knows why. Some say it's the work of the devil hisself.

Oh heavens, where are my manners? My names Thom...... Thom of the Valley I'm called. That there's my wife Helga and those are our wee ones in the back.

Were off to the trial of course. It's mandatory to be there doncha know? Old Bernie's gonna get to the bottom of this dreariness and black cloud cover once and for all. He knows how to handle those demons I think!

Well? I ain't got room fer all ya's. But it ain't far inta town from here.
But ya all better hurry! I believe it's already begun.

At that you hear a bell ring out in the distance ahead and the farmer bids you ado while he starts pulling away in his wagon.

He produces a piece of parchment and hands it to you from his seat as he passes. It has the following written on it.
PUBLIC EXAMINATION OF THE DEMON BY THE TEMPLE OF GREENVILLE

Be it known to all righteous citizens of Greenville and the surrounding lands, that on the morrow, a public examination of the feathered demon will be held. This foul creature was found not only lurking, but also skulking on the edge of our village where it plotted to bring pestilence upon us and steal our babes.

This abomination cannot be tolerated. When the great temple bell is rung, the trial to demonstrate its guilt will commence. Afterwords, the beast will be cleansed with fire and it's ashes sealed into a properly consecrated receptacle.

Unless ye are in league with this disgusting, evil creature, your attendance is mandatory. Thus all can witness that the monster receives a fair examination.

By order of Bernhardt, Chosen of the Temple of Greenville
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by MonkeyWrench »

As Thomas reads the letter, he begins to form a small smirk on his face, "It seems this town has not forgotten the cleansing flames. It's good to know that Joramy's righteous flame still extends this far North." He hands the paper for the others to read as he begins walking at a brisk pace towards town.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Dram »

Xano reads the flyer over Thomas's shoulder and begins to walk briskly along with him. I never seen a cleansing trial before, been threatened with a few in my time. She laughs as she walks down the road.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
GreyWolfVT

#32 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drez not overly sure of how his skills are going to help take down a demon or devil sticks by Xan and Trotter. "Bah devils, demons, birdmen..... whats next? I remember when a tribe of orcs was called demons till we dwarves ran em off. Folks exaggerate things." he tries to hide his concern by acting like a dwarf. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The road rounds the bend and runs up the hill, finally revealing the village ahead. Sounds of merriment and the frantic ringing of a cracked bell are clearly audible. The main street, with its colorful confusion of bright bunting and moving people, stands in stark contrast to the dark sky above.

The middle of the village is filled with excitedly chattering people, who jostle each other for a view of a large wooden platform at one end of the square. Just discernible through the crowd is a large, overweight, red robed figure standing on the platform by a stout post. He holds up a pair of tongs with a bright blue feather grasped in them and grins broadly.

He speaks but his words are lost in the excited cries of the crowd. A few feet in front of you, a gray-haired old woman screeches "pluck its feathers Bernhardt! Show em it don't scare us"! Bernhardt turns and you briefly glimpse a figure tied to the post. The fat man moves towards it again and a cry of agony follows, but it is drowned out almost immediately by the roar of the crowd.

You notice that there are 2 older looking men on the opposite side of the village that are also walking hurriedly towards the excitement.

They both appear to be a bit more than the average villager that you see throughout the place. One is dressed in white and green, holds an icy staff, and wears impressive robes. He has long dark hair with a white streak. The other is dressed all in furs and appears to be wearing a leopard fur cape. He also leans heavily on his staff as he walks.

They both look as though they have also just arrived at the event and are hurrying towards the wooden platform.
OK! I got you all together finally. You guys can resolve the rest however you want to. I hope you all enjoy the ride.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Storm11 »

Can Halo sense any evil in the creature being tortured? this looks like torture, and a witch trial. I can't be having with this. Has the creature even had a fair hearing? Unlikely. Look at the mob, thirsty for blood and suffering! the paladin frowns unhappily.
Greys Campaign.
GreyWolfVT

#35 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drezule watches with a careful eye as the others do whatever they are doing. Hard to tell being a thief he has no idea what it is that they are doing staring intently one would guess. Drez waves to the odd pair that stand out in a crowd. "Well met. Care for a journey and a bit of adventure?" he smiles in kind at the end of his sentence.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Both party's are approximately 150' away from the platform behind a huge group of about 200 or so villagers. No evil is emanating from the crowd but you are too far away from the creature to get a read.

As Drez is attempting to get the two older men's attention, another feather is plucked and you hear the crowds roar once again. They seem too far away to hear normal conversation at the moment.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Storm11 »

Halo will activate his boots of levitation and take a running leap forward trying to propel himself someway over the crowd as he ascends. He will shout as loud as he can hail good villagers, Pelors justice and protection is come to you in your hour of need. If this truly is a demon come among you then as the Sunlords paladin I shall smite it down and send it back into the abyss! Brother Bernhardt, what say you? What fell things did you catch this creature doing?!
Greys Campaign.
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Thomas, being a tall and imposing figure, simply makes way through the crowd, pushing those that get in his way or do not move fast enough as he calls out loudly after the Paladin speaks, "Yes! Let us hear of this creatures foul deeds before purging it's unholy essence through Joramy's righteous flames." as he walks he carries an unlit torch and everyone can hear the slow swish of oil from the different containers he holds.

He will make his way through the crowd, walking up the stage towards Brother Bernhardt and this yet to be seen creature.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Dram »

Xano moves herself next to the platform closest to the beast. To assist Thomas if the need arises.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#40 Post by Scott308 »

150' is nothing. :) I will casually saunter to the platform to get a better look at what is going on. If it seems someone is plucking feathers from a living creature, I will speak.

Hold, good sir. What has this creature done to deserve such torment? Surely, Brother Bernhardt, as a man of God you cannot condone the torture of a living being? We come as envoys from the Duke, and would have a word with you, please, Brother.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “Dark Clouds Gather AD&D 1E”