Chapter 6: Into the Valley of the Caves of Chaos

PyroArrow
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: Into the Valley of the Caves of Chaos

#22 Post by Pulpatoon »

Idonea: "We're not necessarily worried about ambush, but we do know that there has been activity around the Caves, lately. There's an army amassing somewhere around abouts here, and that means a lot of feet tromping around. Not just soldiers, but supply lines and scouts and sentries extending miles past their rally point. We need to exercise caution."

"We also need to exercise a little military discipline. This is not a social outing, and we shouldn't be wasting time or raising a clatter trying to entertain one another."
She shoots Kormak and Wolfram a significant look.

"We are entering an enemy camp, and the enemy is on war-footing. People die on missions like this. Parties die. I've said this before, but, clearly it bears repeating: if you are not prepared to take this seriously and professionally, if you cannot hold back your impulses long enough to consult on tactics with the group, turn around and head home, now."
Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Dizlexus »

Mr. Choe,
From out of the blue, Choe says:

“Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.
“Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory:
1 He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.
2 He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces.
3 He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks.
4 He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.
5 He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.”

Pulpatoon wrote:Idonea: "We're not necessarily worried about ambush, but we do know that there has been activity around the Caves, lately. There's an army amassing somewhere around abouts here, and that means a lot of feet tromping around. Not just soldiers, but supply lines and scouts and sentries extending miles past their rally point. We need to exercise caution."

"We also need to exercise a little military discipline. This is not a social outing, and we shouldn't be wasting time or raising a clatter trying to entertain one another."
She shoots Kormak and Wolfram a significant look.

"We are entering an enemy camp, and the enemy is on war-footing. People die on missions like this. Parties die. I've said this before, but, clearly it bears repeating: if you are not prepared to take this seriously and professionally, if you cannot hold back your impulses long enough to consult on tactics with the group, turn around and head home, now."
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by MonkeyWrench »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Mort laughs at Victor but waits for more of the group to chime in.

Borum too waits for further interjections from the others before saying anything more.

Kormak "Hey Victor watch this." he swings his sword at a larger tree attempting to chop it down in a single swing. But it takes him a few swings. "Well that was not as cool as I was hoping for..." be says a bit upset. "Must be from the ride." he tries to come up with an excuse. ;)
Two-Handed Sword[1d20 +1] = 7+1 = 8 Dmg[1d10 +2] = 1+2 = 3 Lrg Dmg[3d6 +2] = 14+2 = 16
Two-Handed Sword[1d20 +1] = 2+1 = 3 Dmg[1d10 +2] = 5+2 = 7 Lrg Dmg[3d6 +2] = 13+2 = 15
Two-Handed Sword[1d20 +1] = 19+1 = 20 Dmg[1d10 +2] = 2+2 = 4 Lrg Dmg[3d6 +2] = 11+2 = 13
Victor Laughs, "Yes! These trees have stood long enough. Kormak my friend I believe after this we should go into hedge trimming!"
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Maya silently agrees with Idonea on being cautious as she surveys the surrounding area.

Victor Listens to Choe's words, "Well my fashionable Monkish Friend it seems you do have the secrets of success! I think you missed the part of Spontaneous actions are the true fruit to every success but not to worry! I am sure it slipped it your mind!" He winks at the monk in a friendly manner and then goes off to Kormak and Wolfy, inspecting both their abilities in hedge trimming.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kormak stops his lumberjack work and stands at attention being as serious as possible acting like a royal guard. Sword at rest point in the group and his hands stationed on the butt of the pommel. He is standing rigid but at attention and aware of the things going on around him.

Mort smiles and furrows his brow "I'm not here to bicker and take forever planning I am here to do as I was hired to do. I assure you I am quite serious and though he does not always appear it Kormak too is quite serious when the time requires it."

Borum "Alright thats quite enough from all of ya. I've lived longer than most of ya. I've seen more wars than likely any of you have. Just because none of you know me does not mean I cannot speak my mind. We need to keep our wits and not over compisate as I imagine some of the old part did. Lets either decide now where to camp if at all or else lets hide the horses here and head in through this mess of trees near the river and get on with it."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Baramoor
Guide
Guide

#27 Post by Baramoor »

Borum "Alright thats quite enough from all of ya. I've lived longer than most of ya. I've seen more wars than likely any of you have. Just because none of you know me does not mean I cannot speak my mind. We need to keep our wits and not over compisate as I imagine some of the old part did. Lets either decide now where to camp if at all or else lets hide the horses here and head in through this mess of trees near the river and get on with it."

Wexley speaks up for a moment on hearing Borum's comment, "I do think we should tether the horses and select a direction of travel. Also adding to the comments made about "stirges" and since these stirges appeared at night, it would be likely best we get to someplace with cover before that time. Not all see so well in the dark and torchlight or a fire would be like a beacon to any sentry posted nearby."

Finished with his work, he retrieves his bow, the backpack which he hooks over his left shoulder and then walks back towards the main body of the group, avoiding other horses and the occasional bit of foliage knocked about.
If it is not true, do not speak it. If it is not right, do not do it. Marcus Aurelius
GreyWolfVT

#28 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You really think taking the horses with us is wise?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Nordbo »

Wolfram quits chopping local flora; looks up and down the creek, licks his finger, holds it up in the air and mutters: "Hmmm...0° wind discontinuity. No turbulent eddies. Slightly stable"
PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:

Ok, Let's say it took about 10 minutes to look at the bridge & that it is now an hour later after that so time-wise it is 5:54pm.

A waxing gibbous 94% full, Moon came up over the horizon at 5:33pm. The Elves deduce about 2 more hours of full daylight left.

Ok, just to clarify things; The party is setting up camp near the edge of the forest & cutting a path through this part of the woods to get into the Valley?
Also, tying down the horses here?
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)
GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

That was the intent but not everyone is agreeing with that some are saying take all and keep moving so don't ask me. I'm just a LT. Leader.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:

As Idonea & Maya keep a lookout as the rambunctious group, sets up camp & continues cutting a path through the woods into the Caves Valley,
Idonea & Maya spot a caravan coming south down the North Caravan road!
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :

Player:

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Maya watches the caravan moves down the road, she looks over to Idonea; giving you a known military look to be careful and keep an eye out. Maya then begins to head out of the brush to the road, intercepting the caravans path.
PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by PyroArrow »

Dungeon Master:

When Maya steps onto the road the single covered wagon Caravan up ahead notices her & stops, 4 men can be seen to draw their bows.

Player:

GreyWolfVT

#35 Post by GreyWolfVT »

*cough cough* someone get Mort or someone that can sneak..... :roll:

Baramoor
Guide
Guide

#36 Post by Baramoor »

MonkeyWrench wrote:Maya watches the caravan moves down the road, she looks over to Idonea; giving you a known military look to be careful and keep an eye out. Maya then begins to head out of the brush to the road, intercepting the caravans path.
Seeing that Maya is moving to intercept the caravan, Wexley attempts to move into a position where he can cover with his bow. He will use both his thieving and elvish training to keep himself concealed and minimally heard as best as possible while doing so.

Let me know if you need rolls for any of this.
If it is not true, do not speak it. If it is not right, do not do it. Marcus Aurelius
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by Nordbo »

Wolfram quickly follows Maya, with hands already twitching towards his throwing axes

Lutha remains in place for the time being, keeping an eye on the clericals
GreyWolfVT

#38 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mort wakes Kormak "Be ready friend and guard the camp."

Kormak wakes to Mort's speaking "Whats the matter?"

Mort "Just be ready." he the proceeds to follow Maya staying concealed as best he can and moving silently. (hopefully.)

Kormak puts his armor on and grabs his sword and guards the horses and the camp.

Mort Move Silently Thief Skill Checks[1d100] = 3
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri May 23, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Dizlexus »

Mr. Choe,

Mr. Choe ducks into the woods and begins to work toward the back of the wagon.

Move silent
[1d100] = 18
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by MonkeyWrench »

PyroArrow wrote:Dungeon Master:

When Maya steps onto the road the single covered wagon Caravan up ahead notices her & stops, 4 men can be seen to draw their bows.
Maya rests her hand on the pommel of her sword, raising the other is greeting. She calls out to the caravan, keeping her distance to not seem threatening, "The roads are dangerous in these parts, Please state your destination."

Return to “B2/B5 Guido Wiedig's Keep on the Borderland & the Hills of Horror & Chaos”