Action Thread 10

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 10

#21 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia listens intently to Odo's story, another chill of the unnatural shooting up her tiny spine. The abominations they've encountered in this hellish place have her on edge to the point where she finds herself holding her breath without realizing it. She wishes that she had she had attained a higher level of druidic station, so that she might have a chance to identify the strange flora they continue to encounter. "Trees underground? Foul magics, no doubt. I wonder if we will encounter any more rats or fauna as we move forward. If so, I will try and use my speak with animals spell to commune with them," she offers as she fixes her eyes down the passageway.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by tkrexx »

Wait... The Ranger's eyes become transfixed on the area just outside the pool. He bends and inspects the edges more closely. This pool has recieved many visitors. Rats, Scarecrows, and... Something else. I do not know this sign, but it is large, and appears to have... Roots? More curious is that nothing comes TO this pool, but always AWAY from it. And the rooty tracks lead... He turns his head towards the place that Odo described seeing the odd trees, There. He stands and hefts his spear, still staring in the direction the trail leads.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Zhym »

"Even better," grouses Wulfgard. "Mobile underground unnatural trees. Still, if the alternative is standing here worrying about them . . . I'll be waiting here when you get back."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar shrugs and says, "Anyone who doesn't want to go see the tree can wait here..." Looking back at Odo, she continues, "Let's see it. Lead the way!"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo goes "well..I will lead..from behind."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Argennian »

"I, too, would like to see this... tree-thing, sister," Zafalia opines with a look towards Ilhalevar.

She readjusts her spear and shield and her grip on her torch as she looks around at the others. "Perhaps we should have some oil to hand, in case we need to burn the abomination. You all ready for this?" she queries with a look of resolve on her tiny little visage.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Zhym »

If the party is going in, Wulfgard will join them.
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by Vargr1105 »

So will Rake.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger snorts disgustingly. Priest, he starts, looking away, as if not wanting to make eye contact, I fear my current condition will prevent me from being as useful as I'd like, if there is trouble. It is obvious Son of Thunder is a man who is not used to asking anyone for help.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Zhym »

Can clerics sub a cure spell for another spell in this campaign, or do we just cast what we've memorized? If the latter, note that Wulfgard is out of cure spells.

Sorry if this should have been posted elsewhere, but I didn't see an OOC or house rules thread.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by tkrexx »

Ah, didn't realize that. We'll work with what we have then.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Argennian »

Zhym wrote:Can clerics sub a cure spell for another spell in this campaign, or do we just cast what we've memorized? If the latter, note that Wulfgard is out of cure spells.

Sorry if this should have been posted elsewhere, but I didn't see an OOC or house rules thread.
OOC: actually Zhym, our party just rested in the shambling mound chamber before this last encounter. All casters should have been able to re-up their spells, so Wulfgard should have a full spell roster. Perhaps we should wait for Ron to confirm, but Zafalia prayed for and got her two CLW spells back that she cast previously.

As a point of order, Zaf has 2 CLW spells memorized.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

Okay. I was going off what the character sheet says, but I should have figured that the character sheet might not have been updated lately.

After our DM confirms, I'll mark all spells available. And Ron, please let me know if I can retroactively select my spells for the day, or if I should go with what's on the sheet. Thanks.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by rredmond »

Sorry all, work has been heck.
Zhym wrote:Okay. I was going off what the character sheet says, but I should have figured that the character sheet might not have been updated lately.

After our DM confirms, I'll mark all spells available. And Ron, please let me know if I can retroactively select my spells for the day, or if I should go with what's on the sheet. Thanks.
Yes, you can select new spells for the day. And I don't do any swapping out, so choose wisely oh ever changing cleric :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Zhym »

New spells selected.

Wulfgard heals the surly Ranger. (1 CLW marked off).

Cure Light Wounds: [1d8] = 3
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by tkrexx »

Feeling the healing effects of Wulfgard's magic, the Ranger's eyes close for a moment in relief. This will do, he speaks, and gives the Priest a nod in gratitude. Then addressing Odo: Take us to your trees.

HP adjusted.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 7:10 a

Searching this small cavern and taking care not to touch the pool, the party forms back up and moves on down the passageway after Wulfgard heals the ranger.

As you near the chamber you see it is lit by glowing moss that hangs from the ceiling in long, frilled strands. The moss shows the chamber as well as the nine trees growing here, their roots are constrained in large earthenware pots. The druidess winces in pain at the thought of these nine foot tall trees, their root systems forced into such small area as the pots. The pots are arranged in three neat rows of three. The floor is grooved, causing channels of water to flow beneath each pot.

An angry muttering sound does fill the room putting the hairs on everyone's neck to standing. It's unnatural, uncomfortable. Even the more experienced dungeon dwellers among you feel as if this cavern is wrong. The muttering is real strange. You are pretty sure it originates from this room, though some of you could swear it's echoing from sounds coming out of the eastern or western passageway. Otherwise it's hard to tell where it's coming, maybe the trees, but could be from above so maybe the moss??

Stopping the party at the X. The trees are blue the water is grey.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (25.77 KiB) Viewed 452 times
[/b]HPs: Varkos - 14/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 14/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): Odo; Zafalia; Rake; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 48 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 29 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 30 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 29 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-3/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zhym »

Wulgard, like the most of the party it seems, stands dumbstruck at the sight—and sounds—of the cavern. "I have no idea what to make of this," he says. "I don't know if these unnatural trees are threats or victims. I would argue for attempting to move past this room as quickly as possible, but I can't help wondering if our aid is needed here. I would look to our druid for guidance."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Argennian »

As soon as the party enters the chamber, Zafalia becomes visibly uncomfortable and agitated. She winces at the base of tall trees, imprisoned and unable to grow freely in the confinement of small pots.

When the strange muttering becomes evident within the chamber, the tiny druidess falls to her knees, drops her spear and torch and clutches her head as if real and physical pain. She shakes her head back and forth, as if trying to shake off some kind of mental assault upon her mind and memory and then clutches her stomach and looks as if she will be sick. After a few uncertain moments, she tries to take a deep breath and gather herself, sweat already starting to bead on her little forhead. "The muttering... tis... tis the trees!" she exalts with a shaky voice, reaching almost blindly for her spear and shield and trying her best to stand back up. "Once... when I was much younger... my master took me to my first fall ceremony in the sacred forests... Among the many wonderful woodland creatures of the wood... the dryads, the pixies, the centaurs... I bore witness to the most mighty and majestic of them all... the Treants! They were awakening from a long sleep. I could never forget their wondrous, woody yawning as they began to move and come to life," she details, her voice still wavering and a faraway look in her teary eyes.

"But this... these trees... they are like some sort of... warped, twisted and unnatural perversion of those mighty, mystical woodland masters. Someone or something has done this to them! The muttering... tis the trees... they are awakening!" she cries in what appears to be a mixture of pain, fear and loathing as she tries desperately to back away and get to her feet.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger stands aghast at the sights and sounds of the chamber. That trees are growing underground is indeed astounding, and as unnatural as can be. The Halfling Priestess falling and wailing brings him to the now, and his anger boils. I want to free them, or to put them from their misery. What must be done?

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”