#21 Post by Rex »

Great, thanks Shaidar.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Generation

#22 Post by Pulpatoon »

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:57 am
Hi Pulpatoon, it is definitely an old school system (started in 1986 and this edition is from 2003 I think). If you are not feeling it that is OK, the most difficult part of the system is certainly character generation. It isn't for everyone and I totally understand that. Part of the point in this exercise from my perspective is to give people a chance to give it a try and if it doesn't work out that is fine. So don't worry about hurting my feelings if you want to drop out, its all good.
Apologies. I was feeling pretty sour after losing what felt like hours' worth of effort. It definitely reminded me of the old joke about rpgs: "Welcome to a world of boundless imagination! Now, fill out this 1040 long form." But I do like the character that resulted, and would like to stick with the experiment!
Rex wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:57 am Sindarin Female
Height 65"
Frame Medium (Sindarin are -3 to frame)
Weight 141 lbs, -1 Str
If you choose to take another Medical roll you would get +2 to add anywhere that isn't effected by medical rolls.
If you choose to take another psyche roll you can add +3 to anything except Will.
Psionics, the +1 for sunsign is to the SB, so your OML will be 2. Still good.
For your Occupation were you taking Cook/Servant or Cleric of Ilvir?
If Cleric I will post the Skill info once I know.
Thanks for catching the details!

Those medical and psyche rolls are harsh! I think I'll forgo the temptation of getting the bonuses.

I like her having been a cook, but more as fluff than anything else. I assume Cleric is the more practical of the two occupations, given that she has no combat training and is scared of blades. If she only has once occupation, does that make her age 17? Can one take multiple stints at an occupation for better skills?
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by shaidar »

Here is my first go at the character sheet:
Arngeir_Orlygsson.pdf
(389.18 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rex »

Glad you are good giving it a go. I am fine with both occupations if you want, Cook doesn't add much anyways and you are running a Sindarin who is immortal so plenty of time. You wouldn't get the 5 option points twice, just once. Lets say your Parent Occupation was Cook as well so you get +1OML to your cook skills. I will get the Ilvir specific skills up in the table section. The general cleric are already up, you get those too. I will also figure something out for spells for both of you. I have the religion but it is a hard copy not a PDF, so it may take a couple of minutes to type some stuff out. Age would be 24, pretty young for a Sindarin. I also just realized that you don't get Parasites for your medical roll, it has a * so for Sindarin that means you get Sterile instead. They are a dying race, but are immune to diseases.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Looks good shaidar. Do you want me to make comments in a post or make changes to the PDF and re-post? I haven't checked any math yet and I have only seen a couple of minor things. I am leaning towards comments as it might be tricky to see what I did and thus learn from it. Your call.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by shaidar »

Comments are good, let's me learn.

I think I missed the skills everyone has, and don't I get 5 points to spend or something?

:)
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

Yes you do/did to both, comments in a bit.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rex »

here are the comments for shaidar's profile. So far all are minor stuff that doesn't matter much.
Add Ivinian next to Human or under notes.
Social class is unguilded
Frame is medium
next to weight or under notes your size is 6 (x1.0), this is for cost/weight of clothing and armor, your average so makes things easier when we do equipment weight
as already noted you need to do the skills everyone gets, some are very important (awareness and stealth for example)
Native tongue (in your case Ivinian), Ivinian and runic all move to languages and scripts section, I will give you Harnic ass well, that is the common tongue
Language SB and Script SB should be filled in
Folklore is a knowledge skill, these you can take multiple times for different subsets, everyone gets Folklore/3, local to where you grew up (this is an optional rule I use), your Folklore/4 is in addition, you can choose what it is but most likely Sarajin myths, knowledge of the religion and its rites is covered under Ritual Sarajin
Harnic OML is 3, which will put you in the fair grasp category (you are fluent in Ivinian and Runic).
I spot checked several of the SB and ML's and they were all correct, so you are doing those correct.
Add your psionics, I would put them in the bottom slots of the Spells/Rituals section
Great job?
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by shaidar »

Thanks.

I put together a quick spreadsheet for calculating the ML :)

I'll post an updated sheet in a few hours.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by shaidar »

Oh, what's the SB for psionics? I did look and couldn't find it.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rex »

I posted all the cleric skills in the last post in the tables thread (it includes Ilvir).

All clerics get the following Rituals. The # in parantheses (#) represents the Rituals (sometimes called Invocation) Cirlcle, which is equvelent to a Spells level. In use you cast them against your Ritual ML-circlex5. So on the profile you write the name of the Ritual under Ritual, the Circle under Lvl and under EML you write the ML-5xthe circle. Note that there are situation modifiers to casting just like any skill. We use Roman Numeral for Circle in the rules but I will use Arabic to make it simpler.

Baptism (2)
Blessing (2)
Commune (2)
Liturgy (2)
Marriage (2)
Passage of the Soul (2)

I will try and post the Sarajin and Ilvir specific ones later after work. You will each get to choose a number of circles that total your ritual SB, so if you have a ritual SB of 14 you get to choose 14 circles total.

I just noticed that shaidar didn't include his Sunsign modifier for his ritual SB. It should be 14. I would double check that for all your skills, every +1 on SB is a big deal and some are as high as +3. I should have been clearer on how to calculate SB.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

Sorry, I posted the sunsign modifiers for them in the tables section and never the base they modify. For all Psionic Talents the base is the average of Aur Aur Wil modified by your sunsign (posted in tables).
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by shaidar »

So the sunsign modifier is to the SB, not the OML.

I'll recheck when I do my update later.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

Yes to the SB, then you multiply by OML to get ML. I somehow missed this in my first review but caught when I was looking at your rituals.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by shaidar »

I just reread your example character generation, you mention it there and I forgot.

When spending those 5 option points, I assume you spend one point for a new skill at the listed OML, then spend more points to improve it if you want?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

close.
If opening a new skill you get it at OML+1
Certain skills can't be opened with option points (OPs) (magic and psionics are the biggies)
Ritual, Magic, and Psionics can not be improved with your 5 points (if you have Veteran OPs they can be)
When improving with OPs you use the chart:
Option Point improvement.PNG
Option Point improvement.PNG (24.53 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
So say you open Physician, it would open at OML2, this would cost you 1 option point
Then you improve it to OML4, this would cost you 3 option points.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by shaidar »

8-)

Thanks for your patience.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#38 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rex »

No, thank all of you for your patience. The character generation is obviously very involved and takes a while. Take your time and never be afraid to ask for help. I am off to work so will check back late tonight.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by shaidar »

Here is an updated character sheet:
Arngeir_Orlygsson_2.pdf
(436.95 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Here is the spreadsheet I used to work out my skill values
AO_skills_2.ods
(14.2 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Feel free to use.