[004] A Call to Retribution

Marullus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [004] A Call to Retribution

#21 Post by jemmus »

The humble eta Saizo has said nothing yet. I will give whatever help I may also. It's doubtful that I am as strong a fighter as these bushi. But I lend what modest skills I have.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by ffilz »

Both Motoyuki and Keiso will affirm their joining this endeavor.

Sorry, I'm not always wordy...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Samwell Turleton »

Taka Satake

Taka gives an approving gesture to the assembled group and takes another sip of her tea. Let us discuss the terms of our arrangement and plan our next steps. Who among you has knowledge of Takayama and the area around Shosen Makoto's mansion?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
You need to decide an IC plan with Taka.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by jemmus »

Do any of us know anything about Takayama and the area around Shosen Makoto's mansion? Zenrin is from Shinano, so he doesn't. Can I say that Saizo is from a ninja village near Takayama, so he does know something about the city, if not the area around the mansion? Or both?
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

Yeah, fair point. I will let you all do "initial scouting" and reconvene. Fair? Let me write it up tomorrowor Monday...
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by jemmus »

Sounds good.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Marullus »

I obviously didn't get to this on Monday and then we left for spring break and are woth my daighter at the beach. I need to retype all the info from the book (which isn't a text-recognized PDF) so it's going to wait until i get home and ha e a keyboard instead of a phone... my apologies!
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by jemmus »

Have fun!
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

This game doesn't have strong "information gathering" mechanics for this stage, so we'll present it here.

Resolved to action, the six new companions, bound by their ties to the tale of woe which Satake no Taka has shared regarding the treachery towards their loved ones, agree to see what they can learn and return in two night's time to the same room. They spend two days seeking what they can of this Shosen Makoto.

The first layer is simple to find. Shosen Makoto is a short but powerfully-built man in his late forties. His appearance is marred by a small scar on his right cheek, which he brags came from a bandit attack in his younger days. He is a rich merchant who deals with imported goods. He moved to Takayama from somewhere in Shikoku - he was successful then and, if anything is more successful now. He seems to be well liked in the community as well as by his business associates and his reputation is one of scrupulously honest business dealings and hard bargaining. His standing is such that, just last month, he joined the circle of councilors for the merchant association of the city.

It is known that he is a widower - his wife passed onward a little more than a year after their arrival in Takayama and he has shown no interest in the fairer sex or remarriage. Satake Motoyuki remembers her beauty, having met her once about five years ago, on their only visit to the Daimyo. She made a social gaff that caused shame upon her husband, causing them to have to leave -- he remembers the rage he saw in Makoto's eyes when they left. Makoto has a fine, dutiful son - Shosen Kogataro - who is entrusted with much of the business duties. Taka explains that it was he who was at the war camp and sent them on his father's mission to the bandit camp. Makoto also has two daughters - Kiku and Ari. The younger daughter, Ari, is said to be very beautiful as was her mother and there are rumors of a fine marriage proposal in the offing for her. There is no such rumor for the older daughter.

Rumors among the merchants speak of Makoto's mansion never having been robbed, but one of his caravans being recently sacked by bandits. They say Makoto is quite irate and desperate on the subject, seeking his third band of adventurers to go and recover it and having difficulty, as it is said the previous two did not return. Inquiring bushi can present themselves at his house for an audience to get hired and this is a route to meet him.

None of you have ties to the Yakuza, so the accusation that he is Oyabun of their number rests on Taka's assertion for now. His mansion appears well-guarded from any kind of direct assault such as your handful of bushi could mount. It and three other large stone-walled estates comprise a single ward in the rich merchant district of the city. Though he is not among the Buke class, the wealth of his holdings certainly ape at that status, easily as fine or finer than those of noble houses. You can find no casual talk of illicit activity in the ward, though it bustles with commerce. Even casual chatting up of the local police finds no suspicion in the area. Inside the exterior stone wall, the mansion itself is constructed of standard Niponese wood and paper materials of solid construction and excellent craftsmanship. Two gates, one large enough to admit carts, enter onto the main courtyard, whose packed-earth surface contains stables and several vending stalls - allowing smaller merchants who obtain favor to solicit the daily visitors who come to Makoto for business. A fine, central entrance to the mansion allows distinguished guests to enter and be greeted for business with Makoto himself. A smaller entrance for those of lesser status is to the left, where they can conduct deals with his intermediaries. The center of the mansion has a second story of rooms that doesn't extend over the whole first floor - it is assumed these are the private quarters of Makoto. There is a steady stream of business and activity into and out of the main courtyard all day until nightfall when the gates are closed. While there's perhaps a dozen servants going in and out of the house, you also see rough-looking workmen, each carrying wakizashi, loitering about in groups of a half-dozen to a dozen. Given your suspicion of Yakuza ties, these are more in line their thugs than actual heimin workers. At night, you see at least four different squads of "workmen" about the place and posted at each gate. Your casual observations have not allowed you to discern anything about the interior of the mansion.

There are few predictable times that Makoto would be known to leave his mansion, without you manufacturing a reason yourselves. Most business comes to him, but he is expected to go out once a month to meet with the council of merchants which has just accepted him as a member. He always travels with guards and will rarely allow himself to be alone with anyone other than his most trusted employees and retainers. His son has been making a business trip every two weeks, which Taka confirms is to the hidden war camp in the mountains, whose purpose is still shrouded. Taka also knows that Makoto goes to Hidetoke Kiyomaru, the reclusive wizard of the hills (who is Taka's mentor), for readings and omens before his major decisions, but there is no clear pattern for when he seeks that advice.

Murder is honorless, but vengance is satisfying... most of you have cause for a blood feud, but honor in that requires warning the target. Exposing him is more proper, but would require firm evidence to take to authorities - either of illicit business dealings, the yakuza network, the existence of a seditious war camp, or Makoto's end game involving the box in the Hag's lair. Hard evidence is difficult, requiring convincing someone knowledgeable to testify against him or finding written or physical proof of a crime, then having a strong case (and Rhetoric roll) to present it. Perhaps conspiracy to murder is simpler.

Motoyuki also knows:
The proper route would be to bring these matters to authority and allow the Daimyo to act. However, the Daimyo is proud and prideful at the quality of his police forces in Takayama and is unlikely to believe accusations of wrongdoing that the police have not noticed themselves. The exception would be firm proof of the war band, and of the war band being meant to be used against him. Sedition is a crime that cannot be ignored and you are confident the Daimyo would act against Shosen Makoto if discovered.

As member of the court, you know the intricacies of a Blood Feud (1092.3 BLOOD FEUD, p. 45). This is a potential recourse, either a legal or illegal one, and as Makoto is not of the Buke, you would not be forbidden from pursuing it. You personally are not really elligible (since Taka lives) but any other member of the party can pursue this due to their dead relative. The difficulty is that it warns Makoto to prepare to defend his life, and you see he has many defenses. The alternative (stealthy murder) is dishonorable and the realm of ninja, not bushi.
Keiso also knows:
There is a local Sumotori named Tetsuhito who has bemoaned his fate at your shrine. He claims to have won the love of the younger sister, Shosen Ari, but her father forbids it, marrying her instead into an arrangement with a Buke that is critical to the family's advancement. He also speaks of the older sister, Kiku, as a jealous shrew.
Saizo also knows:
A member of the Stalking Shadows clan, a high eta family of greater stature than your own, is under contract to Makoto. The identity is unknown, but would be a formidable opponent, for certain.

Observing at night from the rooftops, you see there are two inner courtyards around the main house. One contains a locked, elevated storehouse constructed of heavy wood and a well for drawing water. This courtyard has guard dogs released in it from dusk until dawn. The other courtyard contains a garden with a small pond, a teahouse, and a temple. You hear scuffling and the clash of arms that night, from which you surmise there is nighttime use of the temple as a dojo for training sessions.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by ffilz »

I'd love some advice from the other players...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by jemmus »

Saizo shares with the group what he as seen of the mansion grounds. It seems obvious that we can't hope to win a fight with the "workmen" during the day. Unless some of you have mystical means of somehow temporarily disabling them. During the nighttime there are also guard dogs. I would guess that there are also at least as many guards, although some of them may be occupied in bugei training. Since we have joined together as a group, we must trust in each other completely if we are to succeed. So I will admit to you that I am a shinobi. So that you may perhaps have ideas for how my skills may be of use.

We could pose as adventurers interested in the mission to recover the chest. The would at least let us investigate the interior of the compound and possibly the mansion. We would have to refuse the mission, I think. Or accept it, but not actually go on it. I think we could probably eliminate Makoto during the interview. But at the cost of all of our lives.

Finally, I think the yakuza may be a weakness. All yakuza have enemies from the nature of their work. Perhaps there is a rival yakuza gang in Takayama or nearby who would like to see them and their patron gone. And there must be at least one merchant in Takayama who would like to see Makoto gone as well.

I'm sorry for my long speech.
He bows to the group.

Zenrin ponders a moment. Then says in his quiet, peaceful voice-- a voice that could put the most beset upon insomniac to sleep, I am interested in the wizard recluse of the hills named Hidetoke Kiyomaru. He would know Makoto's inner thoughts, troubles, and doubts. If any know more of him, it would be useful to know the information. And I am also interested in learning more about the secret war camp and the son Kogataro. It seems that he would be more easily bagged than the father. And the son may have much useful information, and may be a useful stone to place on a go board.

The daughters as well. One is pretty and sought after, the older one apparently not. There is disharmony in the household there, if they are yielding to the folly of human nature.
Either daughter may leave the compound to do what daughter's want to do about town. I'm not suggesting that they be abducted or harmed. But perhaps they may provide information, or foment disharmony and confusion in the household. So that Makoto becomes distracted and makes a rare mistake.

Like my new friend Saizo, I also apologize for my long speech.
He bows to the group.
Last edited by jemmus on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by ffilz »

Oh, and Motoyuki and Keiso will share their knowledge.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by ffilz »

Jemmus, what are your thoughts?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

To be fair, Jemmus is the only one who has posted thoughts. :)
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by jemmus »

To summarize my hastily written and rather vague tl;dr....
Saizo's thoughts:
Could pose as adventurers interested in the mission for the chest and assassinate the merchant Makoto. But would probably be a suicide mission, because of so many guards.
Since the guards seem to be yakuza would try to find a rival yakuza gang in the area and use them against the guards.

Zenrin's thoughts:
Is interested in learning more about Makoto's spiritual adviser/psychological counselor the wizard Hidetoke Kiyomaru. He would know a lot about Makoto's thoughts and habits.
Could target Makoto's son Kogataro in the war camp, kidnap him maybe, and use him as leverage against Makoto.
Makoto's unattractive daughter is envious of the babe one. Could try to catch her on a shopping trip to the town, befriend her, and get information and/or intensify the discord in the family. To cause trouble for Makoto, and see what happens. (Zenrin turns out to be pretty crafty for a Buddhist monk. I prefer to see it as "insightful about human foibles." :) )/ooc]
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:56 pm To be fair, Jemmus is the only one who has posted thoughts. :)
Hmm, yea, sorry... I'm sort of stumped with a lot of not so good options...

I think getting more information is what we need to do. Maybe leverage Tetsuhito's connection with the younger sister and see if we can shake some information loose?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:55 pm Oh, and Motoyuki and Keiso will share their knowledge.
To help get you unstuck, there's pretty critical information that Motoyuki knows and should share.

Also, I think determining a course is more imperative than more information gathering.

To determine a course, you need to assess the full scope of options...

Your goal is to eliminate Shoshen Makoto.

You can do so yourselves by murder, blood feud, or turning him over to the Daimyo. (Or less lethal approaches like running him out of town, but the IC conversation up to this point is on visceral revenge.)

Murder at home is a grave challenge (whether invading by day, invading by night, or posing as applicants). A ruse to get him out of the house for murder makes it easier (whether through a daughter, the son, a business dealing, or the wizard).

For a Blood Feud, you need to go read those rules. It's murder, but legal. One of you gives him warning that you intend to kill him, then you don't lose On. Giving him warning makes it much harder, but that's what makes it not murder. After that its the same situation as murder, above.

Motoyuki knows that turning him over to the Daimyo will be difficult, but feasible for him as an In Service noble and/or by Taka as a clan scion and convincing rhetoricist. He believes you likely need nothing short of incontrovertible evidence of an insurrection against the Daimyo - that's the only real sure way to get Makoto executed. You know that the secret war camp exists, but not truly what its intention or purpose is (so you need to either discover it is a true plot, or you need to fabricate the evidence to frame him as if it is). You need to learn more AND get proof. That could be competing the first mission and getting the box that Makoto is worked up about from the Hag, capturing and questioning the son who goes to the camp, doing espionage to find others who can talk about the camp (daughters, Tetsuhito, close advisors), or infiltrating the camp itself either in true name or undercover.

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”