Fourth Expedition

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Fourth Expedition

#181 Post by Dogma »

Is this a new combat with a new initiative or a continuation of he last fight?

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#182 Post by Raven Crowking »

New combat, if combat is what occurs. New XP!

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#183 Post by beermotor »

AWOL for a bit, may be back tomorrow... RC please roll for me and we'll wait to fight rats as they come, throw torches and use fire.
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9

knight.errant
Strider
Strider

#184 Post by knight.errant »

Initiative = 10 Should I be adding any bonus to this roll from any of my characters? I think the elf has a +2...

Podrick, emboldened by his last attack, will move a step closer to the advancing rat-things. He will attack should something get close enough.
Podrick: 14, should that hit, damage: 2

Jeren, shakey but determined will advance to follow Podrick. He will attack if the rat-things are in range of his pitchfork.
Jeren: 9, if that hits, damage: 5

Ellie wishes she had the power to keep these creatures at bay. There must be some power she could draw on to banish them.
She will stay put, again if anything gets close enough to hit with her stick, she will attack.
Ellie: 11, if that hits, damage: 4

Kadatheron will stay put, keeping an eye on the spiked door and the way we came in. Should something get close enough, he will throw his torch.
Kadatheron: 16+2 = 18, damage?

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#185 Post by Dogma »

I think we can add the highest initiative modifier from our group of four. At least I have been...

Initiative 10+2= 12

Olaf, Willem, and Garth hold their position, weapons at the ready.

"Easy now lads, they're just some small beasties. Not like them last two abominations," Olaf says, trying to reassure the others.

"And I'll bash them too, just like the other creature, " said Garth. "Anyone want to bet I smash one of these too," he continues, hefting his club.

Don't mess up! Don't mess up! Willem chanted to himself. Please don't let me mess up!

Jonas stays huddled by the statue.

knight.errant
Strider
Strider

#186 Post by knight.errant »

Dogma wrote:I think we can add the highest initiative modifier from our group of four. At least I have been...
Thanks! I wasn't sure.

In that case, make my Initiative a 12 as well.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#187 Post by Raven Crowking »

I'll run this round tomorrow....things have been a bit busy this weekend.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#188 Post by beermotor »

Init: 12+3=15.

Grim: to hit 16 + 2 = 18, damage w/ warhammer = 3.
Kent will throw a torch at a rat in the doorway: 9 + 3 = 12, if that hits, damage = 2 (club) +2(strength) = 4, if fire catches = 3 damage.
Willie will hold his torch to light another one for Kent.
Gunnar will strike again with his hammer, if one gets close: to hit 10 + 2 = 12, if that hits, damage = 3 + 2 = 5.
Daryll will continue to watch the rear corridor for anything coming up behind the party.

HP will look at the spike and see if he can dislodge it by hand.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#189 Post by Raven Crowking »

You can hear the rats hissing and chittering as they come down the corridor. The noises they make sound almost like speech.

HP looks at the spike (presumably the one you used on the other door), and sees that an attempt to open the door from the other side has been made, lodging the spike more deeply. It cannot be removed by hand.

These rat-things are AC 13, so 12s are near misses, unless Luck is used. Grim's hit comes down across the back of a rat-thing, breaking its spine and grinding its bowels into the floor. It dies squealing.

At 12, Podrick hits, and does just enough damage to kill his target. Kadatheron also hits, the torch clubbing its target into stunned immobility, and the fire slaying it in a flurry of stinking burning fur.

Olaf and Willem both hit, and kill their targets, but Garth rolls a natural "1" and almost loses his weapon.

At this point, the two rat-things remaining flee to seek easier prey. You may take parting shots, if you wish. 1 XP each.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#190 Post by beermotor »

Grim will take a parting shot at a fleeing devil-rat's head (precision shot)... to hit 16 + 3 on deed die, damage 6 + 3 +whatever from called shot. Dead rat, I guess.

Gunnar will take a swing, too... but a 9 will likely miss.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#191 Post by beermotor »

Once the rat issue is finally resolved...

Grim will clear his throat. "All right, there's loot to be had. And my cousin's bones to recover."

HP slinks away from the door. "There might be more of those ... things ... down there!"

Grim smirks. "I sure hope so. Shall we head back and take a look behind the other curtains?"

Once everyone is ready, party formed up and all that, Grim will lead back down that way to the curtains. Daryll maintains a sharp lookout to the rear.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#192 Post by Raven Crowking »

One of the rats goes squealing off into the darkness, anyway. The other does its best impression of a bloody mess on the floor.

Going forward to the second set of curtains, you can easily see the third set beyond. At the second set, the one to the south is 20 feet deep and 10 feet wide. There are shelves of human bones at the end of the corridor, and Grim can smell what appears to be jewels and silver in this direction.

Behind the northern curtain is a roughly 10-foot by 10-foot area which appears to be empty, save dust, old spiderwebs, and copious rat droppings.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#193 Post by beermotor »

Can we tell who the corpse was in the first northern 10x10? Anything obvious in the first southern 20x10 that the two ghoul things were in?

And when you say "end of the corridor" does that mean to the east? Does it dead end in a mausoleum or something? We'll check the third set of curtains first, carefully as before.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#194 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Can we tell who the corpse was in the first northern 10x10?
Whoever he was, he is well chewed up. You can tell that he had striped breeches, light of hue but now soaked with blood and gore, which flared at the bottom. From what you can see, he might have had large moustachios and appears to have been blond. Examining his body, you find an iron key with complex wards.
Anything obvious in the first southern 20x10 that the two ghoul things were in?
Nothing obvious, no.
And when you say "end of the corridor" does that mean to the east? Does it dead end in a mausoleum or something?
I mean the end of that 10 x 20 section to the south.
We'll check the third set of curtains first, carefully as before.
As you approach the third set of curtains, you can see that, 10 feet beyond them, the corridor ends in a T-shaped intersection, north and south. To the north, there is a 10-foot by 10-foot area that appears to be empty. To the south, another 10-foot wide, 20-foot long section. You can see that this area was painted with funerary frescos, but they have been defiled by excrement.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#195 Post by beermotor »

Okay. Grim will hand the key to Gunnar. "Hold onto this. Anyone want to say last rites for this poor soul?"

After that's done...

"Steady lads," Grim says. Let's check curtain number 5 and 6..." He'll quickly take a peek. BTW, the gems and gold smell is coming from the excrement-covered funerary area?

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#196 Post by Dogma »

Raven Crowking wrote:
Anything obvious in the first southern 20x10 that the two ghoul things were in?
Nothing obvious, no.
Garth would like to take a closer look around for anything less "obvious".

Whoever he was, he is well chewed up. You can tell that he had striped breeches, light of hue but now soaked with blood and gore, which flared at the bottom. From what you can see, he might have had large moustachios and appears to have been blond. Nice little Easter Egg there RC!

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#197 Post by Raven Crowking »

Dogma wrote:Whoever he was, he is well chewed up. You can tell that he had striped breeches, light of hue but now soaked with blood and gore, which flared at the bottom. From what you can see, he might have had large moustachios and appears to have been blond. Nice little Easter Egg there RC!
:D

I think that there is some confusion about the curtained areas. There are three to the north and three to the south, after which there is 10 feet of corridor to the east, which ends in a T-shaped intersection.

To the north, the curtains all lead to 10 x 10 areas, from east to west: (1) where the rat-chewed body is, (2) & (3) seemingly empty. To the south, east to west: (1) where the ghouls (?) were, seemingly empty, (2) where the bones are on shelves, and Grim smells silver and gems, (3) defaced frescos.

Dogma, can you tell me what Garth is actually doing and where?

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#198 Post by beermotor »

Raven Crowking wrote:
Dogma wrote:Whoever he was, he is well chewed up. You can tell that he had striped breeches, light of hue but now soaked with blood and gore, which flared at the bottom. From what you can see, he might have had large moustachios and appears to have been blond. Nice little Easter Egg there RC!
:D

I think that there is some confusion about the curtained areas. There are three to the north and three to the south, after which there is 10 feet of corridor to the east, which ends in a T-shaped intersection.

To the north, the curtains all lead to 10 x 10 areas, from east to west: (1) where the rat-chewed body is, (2) & (3) seemingly empty. To the south, east to west: (1) where the ghouls (?) were, seemingly empty, (2) where the bones are on shelves, and Grim smells silver and gems, (3) defaced frescos.

Dogma, can you tell me what Garth is actually doing and where?

That should be "west to east" right? Or else I've drawn this all wrong...

Grim will go and inspect the bones, without actually touching them. Cisneros follows, coughing.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#199 Post by Dogma »

Garth is going to do more than a cursery glance into the room. He'll carefully poke around a bit, checking the walls, poking at any piles of bit on the floor with his club.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#200 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:That should be "west to east" right? Or else I've drawn this all wrong...
D'oh!

You are, of course, correct.
:oops:
Grim will go and inspect the bones, without actually touching them. Cisneros follows, coughing.
The smell of gems and silver is stronger by the bones, very strong actually, but Grim cannot see the source.

Which of the six areas is Garth poking around in? The one the "ghouls" were in?

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”