Neverwinter Woods - Spring 1358 DR

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Neverwinter Woods - Spring 1358 DR

#161 Post by Argennian »

Purvan lets out a held breath when Thaleese, obviously overcome by emotion and ignorant to the straining parameters of transgressional martial readiness, finally stows the wand and deflects the looming potential of lethality hanging on the scene like a soaking wet traveling cloak.

He follows her over to Bartolo's body, taking a quick surveying look at the now three individuals present as they come together. Good thing we didn't have to tangle with these guys he thinks to himself. Good thing for the both of them, indeed! He consoles the grieving lass as best he can, hoping to give the impression that he is much more familiar with and has known her more than half a day. He hopes his visage does not reflect the fact that he's admittedly edgy and nervous to be in such close proximity to these new men and their unknown affiliations and potential designs. He makes sure is hat is on at all times and that his looks remain as unassuming as he can make them.

Before the burial processes begin, Purvan will be sure to gather all Bartolo's possessions. He'll also look to do the same thing with Drake before he goes subterranean for the long sleep. He will closely note these as he collects them and hands them over to the Thaleese.
Alethan wrote:Greystone, seemingly unaffected by the stranger's death, turns back to Purvan,"What brings you out here, anyway?"
Purvan trusts his gut instinct and believes he can reveal some more. "We are here on an investigation of sorts, out of Longsaddle. Of late there's been serious talk about several disturbances happening in Neverwinter Woods, more so than usual. They say even the Sylvan elf tribes are now regularly being provoked and threatened by the wilds of the wood. Our benefactors have reason to believe these disturbances are...magical in nature," he admits, looking as innocently as he can to see if any of the three elicit a reaction to the statement. "It was hoped that we be able to seek out the source of magical disturbance, or at least bring back something in the way of clues and such. Gotta tell you I had no idea our trip would start out like this..."

The half-elf does his part with the Sylvan elf and cloaked human on the burial proceedings. He'll keep a careful eye on Thaleese while all this transpires. He'll offer his shoulder for her and any support she might need in coming to grips with the loss of her friends. He stays close to her regardless.

When the two unfortunately short-lived investigators are buried and proper words said over them as is customary and expected, Purvan turns to Greystone and the others, a look of sincere appreciation and respect set upon his visage. "I thank you for helping us bury our companions. And for not shooting first and asking questions later," he opines with a quick smile after a concerned look over at Thaleese. "I would repay this debt as I can. Our cabin is just down the hill there. Please come back with us and be our guests. I would share my food, drink and smoke with you, and offer you a night's lodging by a warm fire. It is not much, I admit, but it is all that we can offer at present, if'n that would suit you men," he offers as he considers the three of them and wonders how much they might now about that wyvern and it's rider, in addition to anything else about their mission!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#162 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar goes about the grim task without talking. When the half elf mentions the Sylvan elf tribes being provoked, Darkstar pauses in his work for a moment. "Fate is weaving too tight a web" he thinks to himself.

Darksrat nods at the half elf when he gives his thanks but at the offer of heading to the cabin he shakes his head. In Sylvan he says to Greystone There is too much to report and no time to delay.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#163 Post by Alethan »

"Agreed, cousin," Greystone replies in kind in a hushed tone. "But we were camping for the night, regardless. A warm fire and some long weed sounds refreshing. Besides... maybe meeting this half kin was meant to be. Does it not sound like they investigate that which we are to report on? We've already brought a human, a dwarf, and a orc to the Lynx clan this past fortnight; what's another human and a half kin at this point? Bring them with us, and let the elders decide their fate."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by hedgeknight »

Argennian wrote:When the two unfortunately short-lived investigators are buried and proper words said over them as is customary and expected
Just FYI > the only body you found was Bartolo's - Drake is still missing...
Winter is coming...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Argennian »

hedgeknight wrote:
Argennian wrote:When the two unfortunately short-lived investigators are buried and proper words said over them as is customary and expected
Just FYI > the only body you found was Bartolo's - Drake is still missing...
OOC: noted. Did Purvan, Thaleese or any of the others see the wyvern fly off with Drake's body? Or see him get eaten, mayhap?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#166 Post by Hoondatha »

((ooc: Are you asking?))

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by hedgeknight »

Argennian wrote:OOC: noted. Did Purvan, Thaleese or any of the others see the wyvern fly off with Drake's body? Or see him get eaten, mayhap?
Yes, Purvan and Thaleese saw the wyvern carrying off both Drake and Bartolo. And you might recall, you saw the wyvern sting Drake and then bite his head off. As for dropping him, you haven't seen it, heard it, or found him. Cool beans? ;)
Winter is coming...

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#168 Post by Hoondatha »

((ooc: Wyvern sting and head bitten off?? Now that is one seriously dead adventurer...))

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Argennian »

hedgeknight wrote:
Argennian wrote:OOC: noted. Did Purvan, Thaleese or any of the others see the wyvern fly off with Drake's body? Or see him get eaten, mayhap?
Yes, Purvan and Thaleese saw the wyvern carrying off both Drake and Bartolo. And you might recall, you saw the wyvern sting Drake and then bite his head off. As for dropping him, you haven't seen it, heard it, or found him. Cool beans? ;)
OOC: totally cool beans, HK! I knew he was dead alright, it was more me just thinking IC of finding him if it was feasible, in order to bury and give Thaleese closure. Yeah, that's the ticket! And, of course to make sure he didn't have something valuable and important to the mission on his person! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#170 Post by Computer +1 »

Alethan wrote:"Agreed, cousin," Greystone replies in kind in a hushed tone. "But we were camping for the night, regardless. A warm fire and some long weed sounds refreshing. Besides... maybe meeting this half kin was meant to be. Does it not sound like they investigate that which we are to report on? We've already brought a human, a dwarf, and a orc to the Lynx clan this past fortnight; what's another human and a half kin at this point? Bring them with us, and let the elders decide their fate."
Darkstar looks at the human and half elf then over to Tarrin before replying to Greystone in Sylvan. You may join them this evening if you wish, I will remain under the stars. There is ... discord ... between Tarrin and I. Time apart and the company of others may help settle things. He packs up his gear and moves off in the area near the cabin.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by hedgeknight »

After the burial of Bartolo, the cabin beckons and the group, with the exception of Darkstar, makes its way inside. Soon, a nice fire is crackling in the fireplace and a pot of soup is hanging over the flames. You exchange small talk until the soup is ready > a thick brown broth with carrots, potatoes, onions, and some herbs. Bread and cheese compliment the soup, along with a mug of ale or glass of wine. While you eat, Thaleese asks, "Like Purvan said, we come seeking information about some strange occurrences in the woods. How has your path intersected with ours? Are you from Neverwinter Woods?"

re: Bartolo > he was buried with his broken staff, but Thaleese kept a few of his personal belongings to give to his family in Longsaddle upon her return: a ring his mother gave him, a pair of throwing knives, and a small tome.
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#172 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar will first attempt to hunt up dinner and then find a comfortable spot to settle in for the night.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by hedgeknight »

He's able to "rustle up" a skinny rabbit out hunting for fresh spring growth. The woods are alive with forest sounds, even as the temperature drops down quite cool. Somewhere, not too far away, he hears the unmistakable sound of a large cat calling in the night. Sounds like it could be up near the vicinity of the pond.

Is he going to build a fire to cook that rabbit?
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#174 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar sets a small fire and quickly dresses and cooks the rabbit. Once cooked he will put out the fire and move up into a tree to eat and sleep for a few hours.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#175 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:While you eat, Thaleese asks, "Like Purvan said, we come seeking information about some strange occurrences in the woods. How has your path intersected with ours? Are you from Neverwinter Woods?"[/b]
Greystone replies, "Only I am from here. My outdoor cousin, Darkstar, is from the High Forest." Unsure as to how much information his human companion wants to reveal, he simply says, "Tarrin is from the south..."

Then he continues, "We return from a quest. A successful one, at that. And we carry word these tidings, along with messages and a warning from afar. These warnings relate to strange occurrences in the forest - dark-robed men who have traveled through some sort of stone gate." He says no more on that particular subject, as he has very little information himself. "But yes, there has been a lot of unusual activity in Neverwinter Woods as of late. Shapeshifter activity was on the rise, but hopefully that is a worry no more. During our travels, however, Darkstar and Tarrin mentioned a fight with an owlbear, which is unusual - they tend to avoid contact with humans and elves in these parts. In recent days, we've seen activity by goblins and wargs and giants... and now a wyvern... all not far from Neverwinter."

He shrugs and sighs, "But right now, our priority is to bring word back to the elders of the clans. I do not believe in coincidence; our paths have crossed for a reason, lady. Maybe the answers we seek are the same as yours..."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by hedgeknight »

"If there are indeed these type of strange happenings in the wood, then we must see to it as quickly as possible. In the morning, if you are willing, Purvan and I will accompany you into the wood and try to find the cause of these strange events. But after today's travel and losing my friends...I'm going to bed. Someone please wake me at before dawn."
Thaleese disappears into the back of the cabin and you hear the closing of a door.
Tarrin sighs and says, "On the morrow...I plan on departing and heading south. I know the Long Road is just to the east of us, so I'll take that down to the next town and see what happens from there. I would say it's been a pleasure traveling with you, Greystone, but it would be a lie. I know Darkstar won't miss me. Best of luck in your future endeavors."
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#177 Post by Alethan »

"Safe travels, Tarrin. May you find peace for your people" Greystone replies to the human.

Greystone stays up a while longer, studying the bracelet by firelight. After a while, he says, "Pardon me, Purvan. I will sleep better outdoors with the earth as my pillow. I will try to set up a watch, as well. Get some rest. We still have a lot of travel ahead of us."

He steps outside the cabin and finds a likely spot, shaded from the moonlight, in the grass. Before sleeping, he extends his fingers into the grasses and communicates with the plants, "My leafy friends, can you aid me while I sleep? I just need warning if someone approaches before the warm light of life returns."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by hedgeknight »

The night inside the cabin...passes peacefully...after Thaleese cried herself to sleep sometime in the late hours of the evening. Outside the cabin...Darkstar slept somewhat comfortably in his tree roost while Greystone dreamed of thick, entangling grasses and weeds protecting him from a great dark shape that soared overhead through the night.
The wind rouses everyone in the pre-dawn hour, pouring through the trees and making the cabin pop and creak as it hails from the slopes of distant Mount Hotenow. "Has anyone seen Tarrin?"Thaleese asks, emerging from the cabin, her eyes tired. Greystone explains what the young mage said the night before and surmises that he went ahead and left out early before dawn.
After a few minutes of gathering your gear and a few hard tack biscuits with some venison jerky, the four companions, two old and two new, head into Neverwinter Woods. The wind continues to blow and the trees swish and sway with it as you make your way into the wooded Crags. The wood stretches endlessly and is thick with brambles and vines. It's hard walking and within a few hours, your clothes are sticky with sweat. Darkstar and Greystone call a halt for a few minutes once you reach a relative opening in the woods. Image You've been following a game trail that leads deeper into the Crags, and as you catch your breath, Darkstar notices something carved into the side of an old broken pine tree standing just off the path.
"What does that mean?"Thaleese asks, fiddling with the wand at her belt.
Winter is coming...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Argennian »

Purvan enjoys the fire and warm meal and shares a smoke with Greystone before the elf moves outdoors to bed down for the night. He's worried about Thaleese and stares at the door of her room for a long while before breaking out his journal and notating all that happened this day. Just like the elf, he does not believe in coincidences either. Although still disturbed by the loss of Drake and Bartolow, he is thankful to have met up with these others. He settles in, his sword at easy reach, and tries his best to get some sleep.

Purvan enjoys the cool, brisk walk into the woods and leaves all thoughts of the city behind. When Darkstar stops and looks at the tree, noting the symbol, he looks around suspiciously for danger.

When he sees none, he'll sling his bow and retrieve his parchment journal from his pack, scribing the symbol onto the page. Hearing Thaleese's query, he also wonders if either of the elves know what it means or whom might have left it there.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by hedgeknight »

Argennian wrote:When he sees none, he'll sling his bow and retrieve his parchment journal from his pack, scribing the symbol onto the page. Hearing Thaleese's query, he also wonders if either of the elves know what it means or whom might have left it there.
(Everyone roll me a Wisdom check...and Greystone subtract 2 from your roll)
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”