The God Conscience (Bartholomew Silva)

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The God Conscience (Bartholomew Silva)

#161 Post by Grognardsw »

"Reviewing the proposed investigatory actions based on our research thus far," said Cyxeria with her usual AI efficiency, "we see that we have done several:

1. The Shepherd views Shifts in question for insights and better understanding of what people are experiencing
4. Consider procuring code from one of the big manufacturers, to see what manner of illegal coding or techniques are being used.
5. Run a data query on Syncretic Order coders who may be able to assist: "His name is Xari Zhelton. He has been informed that he will help us as needed."

"Several actions remain, including:

2. Infiltrate kults (Communion of the Enlightened or the Xathos Epiphany) under-cover for deep data gathering and first-hand perspective
3. Infiltrate commune where Journalist Jyn Wan-Soxyon joined Communion of the
Enlightened
6. Accessing the programming at the source, at the Creator code and manufacturer facilities, would enable me (Cyxeria) to perform analysis for Anomalies, Traps, or Easter-Eggs."

"I propose we combine #2 and #6 in undercover infiltration of the Xathos Epiphany or Communion of the Enlightened Kult."

As Cyxeria was talking, Bartholomew received a message on his Know from Kirylla, the clerk at The Dream Palace of Arun-Thune, with whom the Shepherd met on the first day of his investigation. She agreed to help him, in hopes that he may help her with her brother who was "lost" to the Xathos Epiphany.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by BackworldTraveller »

You are right - We have completed some tasks...but whether that has achieved anything but ruling out those avenues is yet to be seen!

I'll answer the call and say (as I do so) You may be right about the next step...but we have a call from our first contact.

Hi - I trust you are well. To what do i owe the honour of this call?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Grognardsw »

"Hello Bartholomew," answered Kirylla.

"I left those Shifts at the drop points you gave. How are your investigations going? Anything on Xathos?" The Shepherd knew she was asking that because of her brother. "There were some off-worlders asking about black market Shifts today at the shop."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Thank you - off-worlders? I take it that this is unusual. How did you direct their enquiries?

And as to my enquiries - perhaps we should meet after-all. There was a quiet coffee shop where I picked up a beverage one time...can you get there for breakfast tomorrow?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Grognardsw »

“A human, a cyborg and an intelligent... monkey, I think. I’ve seen pictures of such animals, but they are not on Pzion,” said Kirylla of the off-worlders. “They viewed religious Shifts, then asked about black market Shifts. I told them The Palace of Arun-Thun does not deal in such, but that there may certain individuals who know of such things.”

“I know of the coffee shop. I can meet you there to tomorrow at 8:00.”

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Apparently, one should always talk to the organ grinder, not the monkey. Speciesist I know, but that is the old saying! They sound a strange group of travellers. Anyway, I'll see you at 8:00

and with that...

Cyxeria, What say you to our heading back to the hotel to plan a combined task that achieves #2/#6. If it look plausible - Well lets take it as it comes.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Grognardsw »

With the breakfast meeting scheduled, Bartholomew closed the Know connection with Kirylla.

"Yes, let us strategize the next move at your apartment," Cyxeria agreed. "Thank you for your assitance Xari. The Syncretic Order very much appreciates it."

Before they left, Xari said: "Let me know if I can help at all. I think these kults are creepy."

Inside the Syncretic Order apartment, the Shepherd and synthezoid reviewed their investigation notes.

"Do you have a preference on which kult - The Communion of the Enlightened or the Xathos Epiphany?" asked Cyxeria. "We have experienced some Xathos Shifts, so I feel that may preferred, however we also have intelligence on the Communion."

"In either case, our goal is to go under-cover for data gathering and first-hand perspective. Do you agree? Should there be more? If we can access their computers and programming at the source, we may be able to perform a deeper analysis."

"Each kult has churches and compounds here on Pzion, as well as other planets in The Plurality. The Syncretic Order can create identifications, papers and fingerprints of existing kult members, to serve as our cover. Do you have other ideas?"

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by BackworldTraveller »

So my next question would be how do these guys arrange their groups - hierarchically or as a series of associated allied groups? They seem to have some form of "Teacher"/"Student" relationship withing groups, but that could just be the one shift we've seen.

Where is the nearest group of the Xathos? Can we find a building for rent that overlooks their premises? A forward base might be useful. If only as somewhere to fall back on later. But as a place to observe their activities from day to day it's probably good too?

Who goes in and out? Are any of those people ones that Cyxeria could imitate? I'm not an actor so that isn't really my cup of tea.

And what "outreach" do they do into the local community? They may give us a recon opportunity. Do they provide shelter to local homeless? Food for passers by? Hold community days of any sort?

Have they made any planning applications for their premises? (Or even the previous owners.) Can we find the utilities layouts? Do they have comms lines that could be hacked or microwave comms that could be overheard?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Grognardsw »

Cyxeria addressed Bartholomew's questions:

"In regards to organization, the Xathos Epiphany is hierarchically structured. We do not have full details. The nearest Xathos church here on Pzion is 20 km outside of Zibylon, in a compound near a small town. As such, there is no nearby building."

"As to who goes in and out, we don't know. We would not be acting the roles per se, as the Syncretic Order identified off-world kult members based on information from associates or family of the kultee. Yes, I could arrange my nano-gel to appear exactly as anyone. Though that is technically breaking Law 42 of the AI and Robotics Concordance."

"We could rent a house or office in the nearby town for purpose learning what outreach Xathos may do in their local community."

"Based on public record searches, the Xathos kult has made various building permit applications for their compound. When we are local we could investigate possible utility layouts and communications lines."

"The Xathos Epiphany - Founded by Xathos El-ar-aitch, this kult of personality grew into an well organized operation that is the largest of the three. Xathos professes a transcendant state can be reached through his transformational mind and body program. We know they induce altered states brought about by hypnosis and other trance-induction mechanisms, drugs, dream work, past-life and future-life therapy. We know this because we lost an agent who was infiltrating the kult. We do not know what the final epiphany is that is part of their name."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Grognardsw wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:09 pm
"The Xathos Epiphany - Founded by Xathos El-ar-aitch, this kult of personality grew into an well organized operation that is the largest of the three. Xathos professes a transcendant state can be reached through his transformational mind and body program. We know they induce altered states brought about by hypnosis and other trance-induction mechanisms, drugs, dream work, past-life and future-life therapy. We know this because we lost an agent who was infiltrating the kult. We do not know what the final epiphany is that is part of their name."
"Lost" sounds bad. Define "Lost"

and then...are all the kults set up as rural monasteries? Would one of the others have a better chance of being infiltrated?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Grognardsw »

"We lost a supplicant agent on Zentaras IV, the sixth major planet in the Plurality, who was a sleeper agent of a Xathos Epiphany compound there. We have not determined if he was killed or converted. Contact just stopped."

"Hubbarton, population 15,000, is the town one mile from the Xathos Epiphany compound. While suburban, I woudn't qualify it as rural. The larger compounds tend to be in less expensive real estate locations."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Grognardsw wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:38 pm "We lost a supplicant agent on Zentaras IV, the sixth major planet in the Plurality, who was a sleeper agent of a Xathos Epiphany compound there. We have not determined if he was killed or converted. Contact just stopped."

"Hubbarton, population 15,000, is the town one mile from the Xathos Epiphany compound. While suburban, I woudn't qualify it as rural. The larger compounds tend to be in less expensive real estate locations."
Who can afford a suburban location large enough that there are no neighbouring properties. Look outside the window. Each building holds thousands or tens of thousands. Whoever placed these sites did so carefully. And if they all exhibit the same kind of placement, that suggests a common factor - they know that they need security - which suggests that they have something to hide.

Still discrete plots are good. Drones can get a good look from the edges. Passing air-cars can see in. And all with no comeback because they never cross the perimeter. And if there's an issue their solitude works for them - but also against them. They have nowhere to go and no friends nearby.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Grognardsw »

“Our investigation has found a variety of settings, though suburban and rural do outnumber urban,” Cyxeria confirmed. “Of course, ease of travel on most planets makes any location workable.”

Bartholomew understood the synthezoid’s point, given flight cars, jump booths and other modes of rapid travel in the Plurality.

“Yes, there are advantages and disadvantages to their location.”

“So we are agreed then on the Xathos Epiphany target? I will gather the required items and paperwork, inquire about the public records you mentioned, and secure local accommodations and transportation. It will likely take a few days.”

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by BackworldTraveller »

I agree. So, lets see what we can find about the layout of their compound, and likely places of interest within that. You may be a master of disguise, but my ability to avoid detection that way leaves much to be desired - so perhaps a different method/objective for me.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Grognardsw »

Cyxeria set about her local research.

“It may be more convenient then to create an identity and papers that are not connected to an existing person,” said the synthezoid regarding Bartholomew’s concern about disguising.

The Shepherd examined research to familiarize himself with the Xathos Epiphany and the surrounding areas of the compound. Tomorrow morning he had the breakfast appointment with Kirylla.

That night Bartholomew dreamt of his meeting with the First Mind of Syncretism, Prelate Derellik Novell.
In a world where bodies were interchangeable, memories were for sale, and the concept of consciousness was debatable, the state of the human mind and soul was in peril. So said many, and Bartholomew would not argue otherwise. These many may speak with concern, but their actions spoke something else. Those who would enact change were too few.

The changes came slowly, then quickly, as much in life does. The technology spread over decades among the many planets of the Plurality. Its lure was undeniable, the effect profound. Body and soul.

Body. To escape the limitations of the self, to visit or live forever in another body. Did the artificiality of the Shell matter? Apparently not. The societal ramifications were still playing out on Pzion.

Soul. To live outside yourself, escape the bounds of reality. The Shift enabled the mind to experience the memories of others, from fleeting experiences to the totality of life. To play there, to work there. Some would even live in other people’s minds if they could. People believed in the Shift. And belief is a powerful force.

Such was the state of Pzion and the worlds of the Plurality when the gods came to visit.

The whisperings were just starting: Life after death experiences, miracles, visitations from the deities themselves. All for one to see, hear, experience, to live, for the cost of black market Shifts. It was said some of these were shared for no cost except belief and joining.

Here was proof, the zealots would proclaim. The friction of faiths would ignite like in the days of past, darker ages. These were deep waters, and many among the Syncretics felt Pzion could drown.

“We must investigate and understand what is going on with these religious experiences,” Derellik Novell, Bartholomew’s mentor, had told him two nights ago. “What are now isolated incidents will grow commonplace. Dec-centuries have shown us the perils of such paths.”

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Grognardsw wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:04 am Cyxeria set about her local research.

“It may be more convenient then to create an identity and papers that are not connected to an existing person,” said the synthezoid regarding Bartholomew’s concern about disguising.

The Shepherd examined research to familiarize himself with the Xathos Epiphany and the surrounding areas of the compound. Tomorrow morning he had the breakfast appointment with Kirylla.

That night Bartholomew dreamt of his meeting with the First Mind of Syncretism, Prelate Derellik Novell.
What I meant was I'm more of an investigator than an under-cover agent. I'm really bad at lying - and undercover is basically one big lie.

So what are we expecting when we go into the sect. We don't even have a clear objective yet. We have no specific evidence. So we are making a dangerous fishing trip.

And if we are discovered, what then? "Syncratic order spies on Xathos Epiphany" isn't a good headline. We may be frustrated, but we need to be cleverer than them - not sneakier. Getting manoeuvred into forfeiting the moral high ground just compromises our ability to effect change.

What other options do we still have that are legal?

What do we need to do to get the authorities interested? We have no evidence of wrongdoing. Moral Reprehensibility is, sadly, not indictable except under specific circumstances. While rushing into action is enticing, one should not be led INTO temptation. Patience should be our watchword.

Which begs the question as to how we might trigger the Xathos Epiphany to miss-construe our threat? Can we get them to over-react? If so, how?

So far we seem to be nowhere in our investigation and nothing of a threat. None of our questions are hitting a nerve - except with Kirylla who now thinks we are going to rush and pull her brother out of wherever he is whether he wants to or not. "Syncratic Order Leader implicated in kidnapping" also is a poor look.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Grognardsw »

Cyxeria and Bartholomew discussed the viability of their mission that afternoon as the synthezoid continued her data collation.

"We have achieved considerable results from our investigations these past three days," said Cyxeria. "Having a broader view into the Syncretic Order's investigation of black market Shifts and kults, I can say that you have added considerably to our intelligence."

"As to what we are expecting, I would surmise the operation of the kult in its day-to-day activity. Hopefully providing a deeper view into the practices and mind-set of the members."

"Our objective, as we've discussed before, is information gathering and inside data system penetration to get at intelligence that is not publicly available. I will also implant spyware, malware for future activiation, and other AI actions. The Syncretic Order does have evidence they consider valid, even if it is not the type of evidence that can be used by law. But yes, you could characterize this as a dangerous fishing trip. But how else does one catch fish without fishing?"

"If you feel your skills are best suited to field research, you can continue to focus in that area and we deploy others for field missions. There has also been talk by my superiors of having other agents join this mission."

Cyxeria brought up the compound research she had been accessing that afternoon. "I have collated and cross-referenced our other agents' investigations to produce this map of the Xathos Epiphany compound."

The map:
"I expect we'll secure rooms in their living accomodations, integrate into their teaching schedule, become part of the kult and in doing so gather proof or information that the Syncretic Order can use to counter these kults."

"You are certainly experienced enough in the way of worlds to know that the Syncretic Order would protect their interests,"
Cyxeria ventured.

That religions operated on their own, often ahead of the bureaucracy of law, was well known by the Shepherd. Proof before God was a different thing from proof before law, carrying as it did subjectivity and Faith.

"If we are caught, I can immediately initative a data-erase of my system at minimum, or self-destruct at maximum. If you would feel better about it, we can implant an amenesia-chip tooth that, when broken by you, will induce amnesia that can be counter-acted by drugs that the Syncretic Order possesses."

"We have expended our legal options, according to our list of investigation activities."

"We may uncover information in the compound that could get the authorities interested.

"I agree, moral reprehensibility is not indictable except under specific circumstances. We are not the law. The Syncretic Order's investigations have been ongoing for more than six months, even if your contributions have been three days. The First Mind of the Syncretic does not feel this plan is rushing into action."

Bartholomew pondered Cyxeria's admission that cyber-spying and espionage was part of the inside job. And the direct reference to Prelate Derellik Novell, who was once Bartholomew's mentor when the Shepherd was a new and young acolyte. Perhaps there were more moving parts that he realized.

"The Xathos Epiphany may be prompted to over-react if we can strike at their operation," said Cyxeria, responding to Bartholomew's statement. "Our plan is to not leave a trace of Syncretic involvement. That said, we are prepared for the possibility. If this goes public, we have much that would embarrass them and raise eyebrows if not legal questioning. There is enough public concern about the societal impact of Shifts in general (compounded by the growing trend of Shells) that a controversial public discussion of the religious aspect has been judged to not be detrimental to the Syncretic Order."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by BackworldTraveller »

That sounds like a false premise...we have details that will cause embarrassment - but only if we are embarrassed!

Well, what is the specific objective of our break-in?

That "Detention Centre" seems a good target. Any evidence we can get of malpractice there would be useful. On the other hand that is the one area where you'd expect specific security to prevent transit (in or out).

Buildings at 12 and 13 seem excellent targets. These are also probably well secured.

One target that might have high returns for lower risk is the executive and security accommodation. It's outside the fence and monitoring there for a week or two might get us information that aids our ultimate mission.

Additionally, how do we get to this place? The access is easily kept under observation. Stopping a vehicle will be obvious. Sneaking up the wash is obvious. That fence requires serious equipment to cross in places. I'd not be surprised to find that there is an air-defence system tucked away somewhere. Can we get some equipment in an untraceable van and do a drive by to see what Elint we could pick up on that and anything else? I'm not at all convinced that newbies are going to get access to anywhere unsupervised.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Grognardsw »

"The specific objective of our undercover work is information gathering and inside data system penetration to get at intelligence that is not publicly available," replied Cyxeria. "I will also implant spyware and malware for future activiation, and other AI actions."

"Yes, I agree the Detention Center bears further investigation. Building 12 could be most valuable given Shift production occurs there."

"We can procure equipment for monitoring executive and security accommodations as you suggested. The Syncretic Order has access to the latest technology, including refraction cloaks, sound dampeners, cameras, drones, Shells and personal tracking devices. Is there anything else you'd like to recquisition?"

"My body's nano-gel exterior enables me to mimic appearances, and my audio technology match any voice," the synthezoid said in Bartholomew's own voice as her skin changed tone and her face took on the Shepherd's visage. She smiled and turned back.

"For transportation, yes we could drive a van, though with no major public roadway going through there may not be optical. Drone reconnaissance was done as part of the effort to make this map. Perhaps a stealth flyer left well outside the perimeter, and going in on foot. With proper equipment, I believe we could get in. Ideally we'd blend in with the many goings-on."

"We have several spies - people who joined and are in different stages of kult progresssion - within the Xathos Epiphany. They are trying to work their way into a transfer to this compound. Communication out is very limited - we have not been notified of success. If that has happened, we could have inside help."

Building #12's "book" can be replaced with "Shift."

With access to Syncretic Order resources, feel free to assume you can request the equipment (high tech, creative or otherwise) you need to plan your infiltration, monitoring, tracking, questioning, etc. al.

Issues with my free photo hosting site are causing broken pictures, depending on the device one is using. I'm looking into different options. Let me know if an image isn't showing. Thanks.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Some of those walls will need suction grips to climb. Some seem all to easy to cross - so I'm suspicious that they don't view those areas as important or they are traps. I don't suppose we could get a legitimate delivery order and just drive in? Walking in across terrain with no cover under observation by their security teams is possibly doable. Getting out again is harder. What is our exit strategy? Could we steal a vehicle? If so, where could we steal a vehicle? And where could we dump it before the local cops start trying to stop it? I don't suppose they have an air-car we could use to get away?

Return to “X Minus One (Gamma World 2e)”