CHAPTER THREE: What the dead mage said

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CHAPTER THREE: What the dead mage said

#121 Post by rredmond »

There are a few bows and slings among us as well, Glogs offer with a grimace as he attempts to smooth a wrinkle in his cape
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Argennian »

Savik considers Gordon's debrief about the situation with the orcs at the tomb. "Hmm, I wonder just who or what those orcs have been fighting with? It seems unlikely that the Order of Delleb would have beat us there but it is not impossible. Mayhap there is some kind of guardian of the tomb or some other group involved that we do not know of presently?"
Alethan wrote:"We're s'posed to stop 'em, Gordo, not wait fer 'em ta finish," gruffs Bran. "Any chance a puttin' 'em ta sleep? Or trickin' 'em?"
rredmond wrote:There are a few bows and slings among us as well, Glogs offer with a grimace as he attempts to smooth a wrinkle in his cape
"Aye, I agree with both Bran and Glogs in this. Let us not tarry any longer. We take down the guards outside the tomb and will then have any remaining orcs within the tomb cornered. We can then pick them off as they come out, at our leisure. Or go in after them," the Wood elf opines matter of factly as he prepares to move out.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#123 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Stregghi strokes his chin and replies grimly: "Gods, the glyphs sealing the tomb haven't been breached in three centuries." Then, with a hint of satisfaction: "Likely they lost some of their number the moment they touched the doors, the brutes."

"We must hasten to drive the euroz out, and resanctify this place."

OOC: Gordon can lead you to the tomb site, a safe remove from the orcs standing guard. If you want to discuss strategy for handling them without alerting the rest of the detachment, go right ahead. We'll pick up when you've arrived at a plan.
Failure is always an option.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by onlyme »

Iomhar suggests, "I say we fire a volley at the guards, and be ready for the alarm. We have to take em one way or the other...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by Nuke66 »

"We can have a few of our sneaky ones get in position, then have the others open with a range volley. They shouldn't last long." Gordon offers.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by onlyme »

Iomhar shrugs. Ah, I suppose you mean me? why not...I can sneak behind one if someone takes the other. No arrows then...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by hedgeknight »

Having listened to the suggestions of his companions, Ulf finally speaks up. "If I can get close enough, I have a spell that could take out the two guards. Assuming they don't cleave me in twain before I can cast it. And I think I can sneak up there without being noticed. Just say the word, and I'll do it."
Winter is coming...
Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#128 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Just for a basic visual reference, here's a quick and dirty hand-drawn map of your positions.
You guys are X, the orcs are Os.

You are currently concealed behind some pine scrub and outcroppings of rock. The remaining 65 yards between you and them, however, is open ground, grading slightly upward.

The orcs are still conversing in low tones amongst themselves. They seem to be paying as much attention to the interior of the tomb as they are to the approach.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Argennian »

OOC: GQ, in looking at the map, if we were to backtrack a bit and then move to our left, would there be enough cover for us to get to another fire position, say either in the middle or even the far side of the indicated approach up to the tomb entrance?
If so, some of us could move over to the far side to catch them in a crossfire and also be in a position to catch any of the orcs if they tried to flee to that side. If not, we'll all have to launch our ranged attacks from the same spot.

Savik nods silently to the others and keeps an arrow knocked and ready for imminent deployment.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#131 Post by Alethan »

Bran looks down at his throwing hammer, confident that there is no way he can throw it that far. He keeps it in hand, none the less, hoping maybe he can move closer and use it against one of the orcs (either in front of the entrance or inside the temple) before engaging in melee...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by rredmond »

Ooo hey Glogs has a bow too.

Glogs nocks an arrow as well.

can we see, any higher ground advantage to be obtained?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by onlyme »

are we missiling them or backstabbing them? I do not want to attempt both at the same time...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by rredmond »

onlyme wrote:are we missiling them or backstabbing them? I do not want to attempt both at the same time...
That wouldn't be good... at least not for the backstabbers!
I'm not sure how we are doing anything considering how open it is. If I weren't playing Glogs I'd be all for a Bold Frontal Assault! Darn it Glogs, why couldn't you have been a half-orc! ;)
Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#135 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Argennian wrote:OOC: GQ, in looking at the map, if we were to backtrack a bit and then move to our left, would there be enough cover for us to get to another fire position, say either in the middle or even the far side of the indicated approach up to the tomb entrance?
If so, some of us could move over to the far side to catch them in a crossfire and also be in a position to catch any of the orcs if they tried to flee to that side. If not, we'll all have to launch our ranged attacks from the same spot.
You could, but it would squander any chance of surprise (unless you successfully move silently). You'd also lose some altitude — there's a shallow ravine or depression off to your left — which would put you at a disadvantage (-1 to hit).
rredmond wrote:can we see, any higher ground advantage to be obtained?
The hillside behind you is too steep to ascend. Thieves could try a climb walls roll (at a bonus, owing to trees, shrubs, etc.) to gain some height.
~~~
One of the orcs turns and peers long into the tomb entrance, then turns back and bellows in frustration, "What takes Vargahsh to long? I think we should leave without him."

His companion lifts his porcine snout to the air and probes it with a few curious sniffs. A dark look comes across his face. He punches his friend on the shoulder. "To hell with Vargahsh. Something's not right here." He props his voulge against the door and notches an arrow in his bow. "Look sharp, man."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#136 Post by Alethan »

OOC: time to move. Ranged should do their attacks now.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:OOC: time to move. Ranged should do their attacks now.
Agree... no sense trying to sneak if they are actively watching for something...
so, Iomhar has a short bow, who else will pepper them?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by onlyme »

Nuke66 wrote:Gordon targets the orc on the left.

[1d20] = 11 to hit [1d6] = 4 damage arrow 1
[1d20] = 3 to hit [1d6] = 1 damage arrow 2

oops.....
It's ok... maybe you accidently hit the one on the right, then? :D

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by hedgeknight »

Frowning at being ignored, Ulf watches as the ranged archers try to pick off the Orc sentries.
Winter is coming...

Return to “1E Greyhawk: Strange Days in Ratik”