How to use the Master Table and your rolls

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

How to use the Master Table and your rolls

#1 Post by Rukellian »

There has been a lot of confusion here and there on the dice roll mechanics for this rule system and how the master table comes into play. I will do my best to help clarify this matter in the posts below through a series of correct examples. This will be upated frequently to address certain scenarios and applications of the Master Table.

What we are accustomed to: for most systems, we use different dice to perform different operations (a d6 for initiative, a d20 for ToHit, a d8 for longsword damage, so on and so forth)

What this system does instead: the 4c system uses a d100 for all of those rolls above. Sometimes its just one roll that is needed, other times, two or three comes into play. This is where things get tricky when setting up macros and basic action routines.

Let's start off with a simple example of rolling the dice:

Blazekicker wants to kick an attack helicopter out of the sky before it can hit him with a rocket barrage. The first thing that he will need to do is roll a 1d100 for initiative, while adding his Awareness Rank Value to the result. The GM who is flying the helicopter will do the same. The one who produces the highest result (roll plus Awareness) wins and acts first. Blazekicker won initiative and supercharges his leg to peform a super kick with his enchanted Soccer Ball.

The next step is to roll for ToHit, the accuracy of the action being performed, or the chance for success. The action would be considered a coordination attack and will make use of a Master Table for ranged attacks. After rolling a 1d100, you will take the result and compare it to the Master Table. Depending on which score range it falls under, your ToHit roll will either be a fumble, a minor success, a moderate success, or major success. The descriptions for each score range will vary depending on the action being peformed.

Blazekicker rolled a moderate success, 76, with a coordination rank value of 50. Now he knows the attack will land and he is about to deal some damage! No more dice rolls after this. You just look at the Coordination Rank Value and say that his how much damage you dealt. Ranged attacks fall under Coordination.

Here is how all of this looks in an actual post:

Blazekicker attempts to kick his soccer ball at the attack helicopter and knock it out of the sky. *Rolls for initiative* 86+20 Awareness, success.
*Rolls for ToHit* 76. , moderate success. Coordination value of 50 kicks in, deals 50 points of damage to the helicopter. Done.

The same situation can be applied to melee combat as well, replacing the Coordination Rank Value with your character's Brawn Rank Value for damage if issuing unarmed attacks, or Melee Rank Value if attacking with a blade or blunt weapon (+5 Rank Value for 1-handed weapons, +10 Rank Value for 2-handed weapons). To hit 1d100 rolls still apply for chance of success.

All enemies that are encountered have preset stats. Those stats translate into a set amount of damage points (hit points). The only time you will miss an enemy with a high rank value of your own is when you fail your to hit roll, when the enemy dodges your attack successfully (determined by 1d100 result on master table) or if fortune points are used to directly affect rolls. A person may pour fortune points into a roll to guaruntee the success of their attack, or prevent the success of an opponent's. This feature can also be applied to the effectiveness of actions as well, not just the success rate. In order to allow this feature to become more readily available and useable, I will start posting all of my rolls from now on for the player's benefit. Early on, I didn't think this necessary, considering that people were just getting their feet wet and figuring things out, that and they didn't have lots of fortune points to throw around in the first place.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: How to use the Master Table and your rolls

#2 Post by Rukellian »

There has been some misunderstandings in how the percentile rolls and rank values should be handled, stringed together.

Something like this [1d100=52+30=82] will not work if looked at from a to hit point of view. Some people thought that adding your to hit roll and your rank value of an ability score or power would yield your chance for success, this is not true; and if I let this pass a few times without saying anything, I apologize for my oversight. When I see those macro combinations, I pick them apart for the numbers I need, thinking that the player just didn't want to keep checking his/her character sheet for rank value numbers. There are no adding numbers together to get success rates for anything. The only time that happens is when initiative is rolled, or when they specifically call for it in a power description.

I want to teleport to the other side of that room, bypassing the enemies who are blocking the way. I roll a 1d100 for my chance of success. If I fumble and roll a black value, I teleport but become dazed and cannot do anything for the next turn. If I succeed (Red or Higher) I teleport to the destination. That's it. The rank value next to the teleport powers only tells you how far you can teleport, and what level range you will be looking at on the Master Table for your chances of success. Your success is determined by the 1d100 roll, not the rank value score. This too was a problem that creeped up every now and then. Someone would use an ability and think they had to add the ability's rank value score to their 1d100 result. That is not the case.

When using abilities/powers in combat or in your environment, the descriptions for each vary in its use. Some abilities have their own master tables, which is listed under its description in the power explanation thread. Players will have to pay attention to the ability's effects and if there is a master table involved. Any to hit rolls for a power will use a master table if applicable. Some abilities like Superspeed will only have tables that show how much ground you can cover in a round, nothing to do with its chances for success. When trying to use Superspeed in battle, you would rely on the initiative roll and the to hit roll, initiative to see if you can act first, and to hit to see if you fumbled or not.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: How to use the Master Table and your rolls

#3 Post by Rukellian »

If you guys need some more examples, like Zhym's in OOC, feel free to set them up here and we can sort through them together, through a question and answer format.

Note: I just finished editing everything in the campaign threads to reflect the introduction of the colored basic master table, now found on the percentile table thread. You will need to refer to this table for all of your to hit rolls from now on, but as we all start to use it more, it will make more sense I think then our previous system. Most of the changes were just number based, switching out the rounded number ranges of success rates to their colored forms, for better translation into the master table.

Again, if you have any questions before we continue the arcs once more, let me know on either this thread or the OOC one. And I will get back to you shortly or within a day's time.

-Rukellian

Return to “Rebirth of Power: a 4c system game”