Ask the GM

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Ask the GM

#21 Post by Tomcat42 »

Distorted Humor wrote:
Tomcat42 wrote:DM, I'm going to assume that Hrothgar has all but 10gp in coin of his current worth converted over to gemstones (for convenient carrying and a little more peace of mind). Tag me if I need to give up a few coins extra for the 'going exchange rates'. Thanks!

10% loss if you decide to do so. you can buy 100 GP gems for 110 GP.
Believe I'll go with a gp to pp exchange then (if platinum coins are available). If that direct exchange rate isn't available, then I'll go with the gems. Thanks!
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by Distorted Humor »

Tomcat42 wrote:
Distorted Humor wrote:
Tomcat42 wrote:DM, I'm going to assume that Hrothgar has all but 10gp in coin of his current worth converted over to gemstones (for convenient carrying and a little more peace of mind). Tag me if I need to give up a few coins extra for the 'going exchange rates'. Thanks!

10% loss if you decide to do so. you can buy 100 GP gems for 110 GP.
Believe I'll go with a gp to pp exchange then (if platinum coins are available). If that direct exchange rate isn't available, then I'll go with the gems. Thanks!
Since this is your existing currency, I will let you go to PP without any cost.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Blazeguard »

Will you be using the optional encumbrance rules?

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by Distorted Humor »

Blazeguard wrote:Will you be using the optional encumbrance rules?
i will make a easy house rule. You can carry 50lbs outside of your armor. Otherwise get mules and horses and the like.

HereticalOne
Scout
Scout

#25 Post by HereticalOne »

Regarding the new recruits...
Do you, the DM, roll for the Reaction to the Hiring Offer, or do I (or one of the others in the group?)
I'm open to offering the recruits a 1gp bonus if they can stand still while my guard dog sniffs them. I trust the dog's senses. If it dislikes one or more of these recruits, I'm going to be even more suspicious of them, and having been raised by dwarves, I can get really suspicious...

If we do take-on one or more of these retainer/mercs, I'll pick-up some extra rations, water-skins and fresh blankets. Can any of them hunt? How well do they know the surrounding area?

Also, would it be possible to get some sort of barding/armor for the guard dog? A spiked collar perhaps? I will name the dog George, unless it came with a name.
I don't have a signature thingy.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by Distorted Humor »

HereticalOne wrote:Regarding the new recruits...
Do you, the DM, roll for the Reaction to the Hiring Offer, or do I (or one of the others in the group?)
I'm open to offering the recruits a 1gp bonus if they can stand still while my guard dog sniffs them. I trust the dog's senses. If it dislikes one or more of these recruits, I'm going to be even more suspicious of them, and having been raised by dwarves, I can get really suspicious...

If we do take-on one or more of these retainer/mercs, I'll pick-up some extra rations, water-skins and fresh blankets. Can any of them hunt? How well do they know the surrounding area?

Also, would it be possible to get some sort of barding/armor for the guard dog? A spiked collar perhaps? I will name the dog George, unless it came with a name.
Ok - George is fine for the dog name. Let me think about the dog-armor. I will roll the reaction roll for hires, though I do let anyone hire a single helper without a roll. And you can offer for sure, but I will roll to see reactions on the dog sniffing. Most would agree for a gp.

HereticalOne
Scout
Scout

#27 Post by HereticalOne »

Great! George it is.
I have no problem ordering the armor, paying a deposit and picking it up when we return.
If we return.

I gladly pay the recruits their 1gp bonus to let George check them out.
I'll hire-on the crossbowman, personally, if I need to choose one. I'll cover the wages, etc. like I said either way.
The girl with the trident would be choice 2, especially if they're related. No sense breaking-up a matched set.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by Distorted Humor »

HereticalOne wrote:Great! George it is.
I have no problem ordering the armor, paying a deposit and picking it up when we return.
If we return.

I gladly pay the recruits their 1gp bonus to let George check them out.
I'll hire-on the crossbowman, personally, if I need to choose one. I'll cover the wages, etc. like I said either way.
The girl with the trident would be choice 2, especially if they're related. No sense breaking-up a matched set.
Dog Barding will be 50gp, 25 down, 25 on pick up, and will be ready when (or if) you return. Just let me know if you want it and I will assume you make the deposit and subtract that from your GP.

the men at arms will want 1/4 of a share. for the listed rate they will work, but will just guard the above ground camp. Form the sounds of it that is might be what you want. They are a team of sorts, brother/sister. the 1/4 share will have them follow you into the mouth of Doom.

BTW, I will tell you here the dog passes all the hires.

HereticalOne
Scout
Scout

#29 Post by HereticalOne »

Very happy to hear that George approves the recruits.
I'll cover the expenses, this time out. I'm okay with them remaining a team, so long as they are on our side.
As to the 1/4 share, that will have to be approved by the group. If everyone else is okay with it, we can offer that to them, as an incentive to do a good job this time out.

I will pay the deposit to the Smith. If we don't come back. He can sell the armor to someone else. I'll deduct the deposit from my gold now.

HereticalOne
Scout
Scout

#30 Post by HereticalOne »

Okay, based on the feedback from other players, I'm interested in seeing if there is in fact a second mule available in-town. If so, I can invest 30gp on a second mule and two weeks feed for both creatures (7-8sp).

I'm working on the assumption that if it's on the basic list in the LL book, it's mostly available. I expect inflation will start after we start dragging in loot. Anyhow, I'm interested in acquiring the following things and would prefer to load them onto the mule(s):

4 Blankets..............................2gp
Block and Tackle......................5gp
10' chain................................30gp
Crowbar..................................2gp
Grappling Hook..........................1gp
2 Hammers...............................1gp
Ladder.....................................5cp
Lantern....................................9gp
10 pints oil................................1gp
Miner's Pick...............................3gp
10' Pole (5)...............................1gp
Rations (unpreserved/20 units)......4gp
Rations (Trail/20 units)................10gp
200' hemp rope..........................4gp
Iron Spikes (12).........................1gp

74gp+change, make it 80gp for tipping, etc.

Not on the list:
Woodsman's axe
Bucket
Cooking Tripod

If anything is unavailable or whatever, let me know and I'll adjust things on the character sheet.
Also, could we set-up a character sheet for the Mule(s), so that they can hold all their inventoried items? That would be really handy!

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by Distorted Humor »

HereticalOne wrote:Okay, based on the feedback from other players, I'm interested in seeing if there is in fact a second mule available in-town. If so, I can invest 30gp on a second mule and two weeks feed for both creatures (7-8sp).

I'm working on the assumption that if it's on the basic list in the LL book, it's mostly available. I expect inflation will start after we start dragging in loot. Anyhow, I'm interested in acquiring the following things and would prefer to load them onto the mule(s):

4 Blankets..............................2gp
Block and Tackle......................5gp
10' chain................................30gp
Crowbar..................................2gp
Grappling Hook..........................1gp
2 Hammers...............................1gp
Ladder.....................................5cp
Lantern....................................9gp
10 pints oil................................1gp
Miner's Pick...............................3gp
10' Pole (5)...............................1gp
Rations (unpreserved/20 units)......4gp
Rations (Trail/20 units)................10gp
200' hemp rope..........................4gp
Iron Spikes (12).........................1gp

74gp+change, make it 80gp for tipping, etc.

Not on the list:
Woodsman's axe
Bucket
Cooking Tripod

If anything is unavailable or whatever, let me know and I'll adjust things on the character sheet.
Also, could we set-up a character sheet for the Mule(s), so that they can hold all their inventoried items? That would be really handy!
The inn has a mule for sale, its a bit thin but only 35 gp.

and 80GP for that equipment sounds about right. the town is enjoying the sudden flush of coin in the local markets.

so subtract 115 GP to have a 2nd mule with that equipment.

HereticalOne
Scout
Scout

#32 Post by HereticalOne »

Done.
Let's head out of town!

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by Tomcat42 »

Dayum! Looks like we'll be packing in enough equipment to build a fair size settlement. Let us know what coin you need from the rest of the party. One character shouldn't have to foot that bill.
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by Dogma »

Seconded. I can chip in a some gold to help cover the cost.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by Distorted Humor »

Tomcat42 wrote:Dayum! Looks like we'll be packing in enough equipment to build a fair size settlement. Let us know what coin you need from the rest of the party. One character shouldn't have to foot that bill.
However you decide to handle the purchase, just make sure you mark your sheets accordingly.

Also I updated where the party has moved out, I am going to use this to use a quick encounter so everyone get used to combat on PbP before we get into the real combats :)

HereticalOne
Scout
Scout

#36 Post by HereticalOne »

I rolled lucky on the gold this time out. Anything you care to contribute is fine by me. I just figured that since I was flush with cash for once, that I'd put it to good use. Let me know what/how much to add-back onto my Character sheet. Thanks!

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by Dogma »

I'll chip in 20 gp to help defray the costs

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by Blazeguard »

What was the total? I'd gladly chip in a few gp as well.

HereticalOne
Scout
Scout

#39 Post by HereticalOne »

Total was around 80gp or so. Like I said, I rolled lucky. This is the most gold I ever started out with. Hrothgar has already kicked-in some gold. whatever you want to do, however you want to handle it is okay by me. I figure we're going to need this stuff one way or another, and next time out someone else might have to pick up some slack. It all works out in the end.

Return to “Delving into Rappan Athuk”