Sounds good to me as well.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC 1 - Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

#23 Post by sulldawga »

Port Brax | Bromfield Square | The Fearless Knight Tavern
02 May 904

The weather is much the same as the previous day, mostly fine except windier.

Having acquired a block & tackle, the party has gotten a good night's sleep and returned to the Tavern on the morn. As promised, Tairisa is there waiting for you, with directions on how to find the manor house.

Take the West Road, known by some as Brandon's Way, out of the city. At the end of the day, you will come across a hill fort. The Wheelhouse Rangers are based out of there.

She hands you two small tokens made of tin, each with a wheelhouse stamped into it. Each token will get you a night's stay. Camp inside the palisade and you'll be safe... well, as safe as you can be outside the city walls.

The next day, continue down the West Road and watch the markers. The road starts to twist and turn and it can be easy to get lost if you're not paying attention. You'll reach a massive oak tree split in half by a lightning strike. Turn north and follow the Forester's Road from there. It's in bad shape but enough cobblestones remain for you to stay on path. You'll eventually come to a gibbet tree. This is the town you want. It's all abandoned and anything made of wood is rotted away but the manor house was made of stone and it remains.

I'm going to continue but we can retcon if you have any further questions.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by gurusql »

Miebies

"We are looking for a secret entrance to the cellar, I would think to start looking for it on the back side of the building. Thoughts?"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by sulldawga »

You spend your first watch moving through the farmlands outside of Port Brax. The West Road is fairly well maintained here and travel is uneventful.

As you continue to the second watch, the farmland starts to thin out a bit. It turns into true grassland and you see many grazing animals and the occasional shepherd. The first couple of times you wave but no one waves back.

The third watch finds even fewer farms and the houses are more like fortified homesteads. As the sun is setting and you gaze expectantly at the horizon looking for some sign of the Rangers' hill fort, you hear a low rumble behind you. Looking back, you see a large number of armored men on horseback, and a carriage led by a pair of stout horses. On foot, you have no hope of avoiding them so you move to the side of the road and hope for the best.

Once the knights get closer and determine you're essentially a quartet of peasants, they start to speed up and continue on their way but the coachman draws the horses up and halts the carriage. As the knights form a rough circle around you and the carriage, an older man dressed in fine chainmail and a finer fur-lined cloak steps out. He looks at you all curiously.

Addressing Baldwin, who he appears to have decided is the leader of your band, he says, Greetings goodman. What brings you and your companions this far from the city?

Sorry, guru, but you've not quite arrived there yet.

I Consult the Bones and ask if there is a Travel Event today. I got a Triple Yes with a Fortune. So that's good, right?
May 2 travel event: 1d20 7 That's a Random Encounter!
May 2 Random Encounter: 1d20 7 Ah, the carriage of Lord Verne...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

Shysie

"Good day to be traveling Miebies. We should have a plan for watches at night and some sort of idea of who goes first underground."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by sulldawga »

To be clear, you have not arrived at the manor house yet. I am not handwaving travel. We're using the rules from p 134.

EDIT: Also, no need to determine who is on which watch. I am assuming the default is that you set a watch, and if a Night Encounter occurs, I will randomly roll to see who was on watch when it happens, per p. 135.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by thirdkingdom »

Drasig Brak

Drasig tugs his forelock as he bows respectfully. "Just travelers on the road, milord. We seek adventure and glory, though would prefer to make it to the safety of civilization before nightfall. We've heard tell there's a ranger's hillfort nearby; do you know of it?"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by sulldawga »

Do I know of it? My good dwarf, I built it! I own all this land, you see, and the Rangers are my men. I am curious to hear more about your plans for adventure and glory. Come to the fort and we'll talk.

Before you can get a word in, he steps back into his carriage and takes off down the road.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by sulldawga »

It is not much longer before you come to the hillfort in question. You hail the archers on the wall and prepare to show them your token but, at the gate, they wave you inside.

Lord Verne informed us of your imminent arrival. Come, I'll show you where you can sleep for the night.

The Ranger shows you to a corner of the courtyard where there's a circle of stones used previously as a campfire. He points out a well where you can draw water.

After you get set up and have your meal, Lord Verne emerges from one of the buildings with a couple of his knights. One is carrying a wooden chair, which he sets down next to your fire. The Lord sits and looks you over. Drasig notices that Lord Verne nods in approval when he sees Drasig's holy symbol of Graxus.

So, tell me brave adventurers, what brings you out here to the edge of civilization? Very little in the way of gold and glory these days.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:05 pm It is not much longer before you come to the hillfort in question. You hail the archers on the wall and prepare to show them your token but, at the gate, they wave you inside.

Lord Verne informed us of your imminent arrival. Come, I'll show you where you can sleep for the night.

The Ranger shows you to a corner of the courtyard where there's a circle of stones used previously as a campfire. He points out a well where you can draw water.

After you get set up and have your meal, Lord Verne emerges from one of the buildings with a couple of his knights. One is carrying a wooden chair, which he sets down next to your fire. The Lord sits and looks you over. Drasig notices that Lord Verne nods in approval when he sees Drasig's holy symbol of Graxus.

So, tell me brave adventurers, what brings you out here to the edge of civilization? Very little in the way of gold and glory these days.
Drasig Brak

"Oh!" he exclaims, "Don't I know it! We live in fallen times, I am afraid, with each generation more diminished than the next. What we must do to prove our valor these days must seem rude indeed to the heroes of old. As to our task . . . I am afraid we are bound by confidentiality by our employer, and cannot discuss any details, but I assure you we plot no deeds of villainy, no brigandry nor banditry."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

Shysie

Being the silent type she doesn't speak much.

"Thank you for your hospitality, it has been a hard days walk."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by gurusql »

Miebies

Miebies does not muddy the water by offering a different story. He just drinks some water and is quiet.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by sulldawga »

Lord Verne nods in understanding.

I admire your loyalty to your employer. It's a virtue not often seen these days. I could use some folks like you.

He holds his hand out behind him and the knight who carried his chair for him reaches into his belt pouch and pulls out a small embossed square of copper, like a badge. It has a white tassel attached to the top. He hands it to Drasig. Drasig observes that it has the same Wheelhouse logo as the tokens Tairisa gave you.

When you're back from your adventure, and you don't have another job for your current employer, come see me in Port Brax. I can always use people with your skills.

He stands up and prepares to leave. Good luck with your mission. Feel free to stop here on your way back. If you need any assistance, my men will get you back to the city.

I am going to keep things moving but feel free to ask any other questions of Lord Verne and we can retcon the conversation.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by sulldawga »

Low Plains | 1 day's travel west of Port Brax | Wheelhouse Rangers hillfort
03 May 904

The night inside the palisade is uneventful and the party is well-rested for the second day of their trip. You eat breakfast, pack your gear, extinguish your campfire, and proceed down the West Road.

The sky is clearer than the previous day, and less humid. Comfortable conditions for a hike. Shysie is eagle-eyed today, and keeps the party on the right path. She finds the lightning-split tree with ease, and navigates the party onto the Forester's Road.

As you get further into the wilderness, hoping to espy the gibbet tree and the ruins of the town you seek, you begin to hear howling in the distance. Drasig thinks he can see movement behind you. Suddenly, Miebies comes trotting into view atop a low hill in front of you.

Wolves ahead, he reports. Led by a big one.

The wolves behind you are at Very Far range. You are not sure if they've spotted you or not. Looks like four of them, 1 larger than the others. The wolves in front of you are also Very Far and, as far as Miebies can tell, didn't spot him at all.

Actions?

Guide roll, leaving Hillfort: 1d20+3 12
I screwed up the Guide check. I should have added the +3 to Shysie's INT, not the roll. It makes Shysie's INT 21, and the unmodified roll of 9 is below half of Shysie's INT, making it a Great Success. This means the party gains one bonus Watch to spend before the sun goes down.
My Roll The Bones roll is 2 Yes, 1 No, and 1 Positive. So yes, there is another Travel Event but somehow positive.
Travel Event for May 3: 1d20 7 Another Random Encounter.
Random Encounter for May 3: 1d20 12 Pack of Wolves. Since this is our first combat encounter, I am going to rule that the Positive roll means there are fewer enemies than normal.

Baldwin - Quartermaster (CHA 10, Leadership gives +1 to Make Camp rolls)
Shysie - Guide (INT 18, +3 to Guide checks)
Miebies - Scout
Drasig - Look Out (PERC 9)

Group rations 6/7 days

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Shysie

Whispering, "Lets try to avoid them. If they start to approach we attack."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by gurusql »

Miebies

"Agreed"

Miebies will try to lead the group around the wolves hoping they did not see us yet.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rex »

Shysie

Whispering, "Keep upwind and as quite as possible. It is their nose and ears we need to avoid."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by sulldawga »

You were headed north, so the wolves are to the north and south. The wind is blowing west to east so it makes the most sense to head east.

Wind direction 1 N, 2 S, 3 E, 4 W: 1d4 4

Return to “Tales of Argosa (Tales of Argosa)”