Gull's Landing

Revenant
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Gull's Landing

#481 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave finishes her breakfast while listening to Torvik, explain the situation, "They will certainly be missed, but your duties must take priority over what we are hoping to accomplish at the tourney."

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#482 Post by Revenant »

“Where now are the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the harp on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the deadwood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien (RIP to Bernard Hill aka King Theoden)

The dwindling fire crackles its dying song and its embers fade to a distant whisper of light, as Brother Lucente stares for several moments at Thena, after her explaining what occurred at the Vagary fair. Lucente too deep in thought to remember to stoke his hearth so focused is he on Thena's plight. Finally he clears his throat and speaks, "Ill omens seem to follow you sister. The shadows that play upon your face also play upon your heart and mind, this is evident." He rises from his creaking chair before the hearth and reaches down to add logs to the fireplace. Then turning back to Thena saying, "Kneel with me by the fire and pray. The light from our prayers will drive the shadows away. Call upon his divine might sister," he grasps Thena's hand with his large calloused right hand and places the left upon the hilt of his sword, "Let him lead us into battle with the shadows within."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kade, who had been in mid-bite, lets the piece of sausage in his mouth drop back onto the plate before him, "Commander, if that is your orders, Ruskin and I can only obey. I'm honored you have such faith in us to temporarily command the new men." Ruskin merely nods seemingly developed quite the appetite after his injuries as he devours the slices of bread before him. Morwen then speaks up, "Commander Torvik, you have been such a blessing to me and frankly Liviel and I had been discussing returning to Lupre ourselves, so perhaps I could assist in training these men. I'm no ranger of the horn, but I served for some time as a squire to Sir Ambergyle and I've been tested in battle during our travels. If I went perhaps I could be the second *man* you send," her eyes looking to the woman seated next to her. Liviel nods and adds, "I'm a bit homesick and I'm not sure I'm cut out for the adventuring life. Might be time to reopen my father's store and see if there's a merchant somewhere in me."

Garet responds to Niserie, "I agree, an approach through the caves would hopefully surprise the rogues. I've guards stationed at that abandoned building you battled them at and the descent to the sewers. There are several openings to the sewers which I can have the guards watch, though I'm sure there are more unknown to us." Lord Gallowhawk says, "Garet you are in charge of the town guard, use as many of them as needed. And supply those entering the cave with anything they might need."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#483 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik "Morwen, I accept yer offer. But if yer goin' perhaps Kade can stick with me an learn a bit more afore takin his lead. Then again... I dunno perhaps I'm too keen on tha three of em. I got tha same skills as Kade and Ruskin combined but Vari I need ta keep around though I'm thinkin' she's good enough ta take her step inta leadin...." he trails off lost in thought. Then looks to Kade "What are yer thoughts lad? A good leader knows when ta ask his own under his charge fer their advice. You feelin ready ta take tha lead?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#484 Post by Rex »

Bryne

"Going in the caves we would need light, preferably something we could cover or douse quickly. I am willing to go."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#485 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Taking his hand with her left while keeping her right on Rover's hilt... she kneels with her brother before the hearth and recites the prayer for divine might:

Mighty Tempus, Lord of Battles,
We beseech thee in our hour of need.
Grant us strength in the heat of combat,
Courage to face the fiercest foes,
And resolve to persevere through strife.

Bless our arms with the power of your might,
Guide our blades with your divine hand,
Cleanse our bodies with your blood,
And shield us in the chaos of the fray.

In your name, we take up arms,
To uphold justice and defend the weak.
With your favor, we shall prevail,
For in battle, we are one with thee.

Hear our prayer, mighty Tempus, and grant us victory,
That we may honor you with every swing of our sword,
And bring glory to your name for all eternity. Amen.

OCC @Revenant: did Thena have a chance to pray for spells overnight?
Last edited by spanningtree on Sat May 11, 2024 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#486 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave though reluctant to see any of their small band leave, she can fully understand that duty matters above all. And she can understand Liviel and Morwen wishing to return to Lupre. It seemed a quaint little town. "Aye some hooded lanterns for each of us going in brother," Mave said pondering what else might be needed.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#487 Post by Revenant »

"If the highest aim of a captain were to preserve his ship, he would keep it in port forever." ~ Thomas Aquinas

Kade is silent several moments as he weighs his commander's words, "Commander, I know Ruskin is smarter than me and is more skilled. Perhaps more skills and streetsmarts would be needed. But to answer your question, I've been studying your actions during our travels and while I can't say I'm better than Ruskin or Vari, I can say I feel I'd be a good choice. I was a blacksmith before I joined. I know how to mould steel by my hands and recognize its weaknesses and forge them out to be stronger and capable of withstanding all manner of trauma. I figure men are much like steel and I'd like the chance to forge the recruits into a good set of armor to protect Lupre. But if you choose Ruskin, I'd only be proud that you did and feel no ill over your choice."

Garet nods, "A hooded lantern for each going below and the oil to light it. We've ample supply of those for the guards on night shift so it would be no issue. Anything else you think needed?" He looks at those gathered round the table. Athan arches a blond brow when Morwen speaks of leaving and there is a look of concern upon his face.

-----------------------------------------------------

Brother Lucente squeezes Thena's hand hard as she prays, adding his own prayers and shouts of faith to her own. In her mind she feels the fingers squirming as if trying to grab a firmer grip on her mind but then she feels something else as if each of those fingers are ripped free and when her prayer finishes she feels a sense of calm come over her like the heat from the now growing fire of the hearth. She knows whatever was within in her before is now burned away. Her brother stokes the fire and those dying embers spring to life. Sweat glistening on both of their faces, Lucente remarks, "Nothing can stand against holy fire sister."

Everyone is back to full spell power after their night of rest.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#488 Post by Rex »

Bryne

"Good, lets get moving then. Time is against us."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#489 Post by Darithe »

Mave

"We can leave as soon as Thena gets back. I'd prefer not to leave without her," Mave states.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#490 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Thank you Tempus, I am always your servant. Amen.

Brother Lucente, I feel my mind free from interlopers... free from scrying. Thank you for for lending me your aid. I would like to stay and pray with you and your compliment but there are more "ill omens" to uncover. I must get back to my comrades.

With that she hugs her brother and heads out of the temple but not before depositing 10 gold in the offering box near the door.

She will make her way with haste back to the inn.

OCC: Spells updated and 10gp deducted.

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#491 Post by tristenc »

Nis gives lord Aurens a comforting hug, We will find her. You have my oath. She kisses his forehead. She then turns and curtsies to Lord Gallowhaek and the brothers. Gracious lords, I thank you kindly for your hospitality. My most sincere thanks as well to good lady Phillippa, and we will be eager to hear word of her recovery. She says, as they prepare for Thena's return

GreyWolfVT

#492 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik "I'd like ta send ya both Kade. But I'm thinkin ta make yah both be in charge er Ruskin can be yer lieutenant so as ta say." he explains.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#493 Post by Revenant »

"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure." ~ Lord Byron

Macree spat on the ground as they exited the inn on the outskirts of Lionsgate. Folke had preferred to bathe and change his clothing before they entered the city proper. Though Macree still wore what he left Gull's Landing wearing, not having time to retrieve his belongings. But Folke had his father and brothers to impress, while the former captain of the guard didn't need to preen to fulfill his obligations. He checked the flasks of poisons in his backpack to ensure none had leaked and mounted up for the ride to into the city and the tourney within.

-----------------------------------------------------

Kade grins at his commander after he confirms that both he and Ruskin will be going together. Ruskin was like a brother to him and their friendship had lasted for many years from their time in the capitol and their pledge to the Rangers of the Horn. Ruskin's eyes lit up when he heard what the commander said, "I'll do my best to put up with the lout." Kade laughed, "And I'll do my best to keep him in line commander. I'd like to leave as soon as we can but I'd also like to stay here until we know Vari is safe. But we'll do whatever you decide sir."

As they speak, several of Garet's men arrive carrying supplies, enough lanterns and oil for each as well as several coils of strong rope, just as Thena returns from the temple.

Let me know what supplies, if any, you take and which NPCs you will include in the rescue mission. I'll also need a marching order.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#494 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne takes a lantern, 6 flasks of oil, and a coil of rope. She is willing to take point.

GreyWolfVT

#495 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik "Sure enough, if yer wantin ta stay till we get Veri back er learn if she is ok er not that be fine by me."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#496 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Ready to go as well... I was able to free up my mind at the temple.

Has enough oil but will nab a coil of rope.

OCC: Sheet updated.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#497 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave likewise helps herself to a lantern, three flasks of oil and a coil of rope. She looks to her other companions, "If any of you wish to come, you would of course be welcome but I will leave that decision to each of you." Her eyes going from Athan to Morwen to Liviel.

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#498 Post by tristenc »

Nis checks her arrows and is ready to go

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#499 Post by Revenant »

“Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,
but to be fearless in facing them.
Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but
for the heart to conquer it.” ~ Rabindranath Tagore

Garet says, "Well then if you are all ready, let's be off. I've stationed two guards at the tunnel entrance. They will remain there until you return safely." Lord Gallowhawk looks to De'Ath, "I think perhaps it is best if the girl not accompany you. I promise to keep her safe within the family estate and any who also wish to stay are welcome to do so." Liviel volunteers to stay with De'Ath saying, "I'd probably only slow you down."

The rest of the group follow Garet and two guards, making their way towards the seafront with the lighthouse in the distance. Scrambling down a makeshift path that winds to the edge of the sea. Ships seeking berth sail towards the city in the distance and the incessant cries of seagulls echo as you walk along the sandy pathway towards the cave.

You stop for a moment as you hear the sobs of someone ahead. And as you pass a rocky outcropping, you can see the cave ahead and the two guards. One sits on the sand pulling at his long hay-colored hair his helm discarded into the sand. He cries out as he pulls at his hair, "She said he should die...she said he should die," repeating it almost like a rhyme between his sobs. It is then you see the gruesome sight just beyond him. The second guard's sword sticks point upward to the sky, its hilt ground into the sand and impaled upon the blade is the other guard, his arms outstretched as if about to take flight as his blood soaks the sands beneath him. Perched on each shoulder is a great black crow who silently watchh your approach.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#500 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Slowly draws Rover but makes no other combative actions. She'll wait for someone else speak.

Return to “Nocturne (2e)”