Before you ask......for this one...... you would need the pearl. :D
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (14) The Green Man Inn

#42 Post by Stirling »

yes, true, I spent the last one.

Crabgrass

"It might be worthwhile doing. The recuperating is not so hard, a good night's sleep suffice. But a pearl of great price is the key. Wisdom and revelation have a cost and that comes to at least a hundred gold pieces.

We can put that on the back burner for now, unless you can 'trial and error' test it. Just don't point it in my direction and say 'kaboom!'

I will post in a few location threads and try to find a mage or a source for magical compounds.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rex »

:lorcl:

Probably not the smartest thing to say to Bugs, he does have an 8 Int and 4 Wis.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Monsieur Rose »

What could go wrong? :lol:

Bugs

The Gnome nods and picks up the bone. He turns it round and round, trying to determine which end is the business one. "Is this writing etched on here? Or just coloring? I think it says...open sesame?"

He finally picks an end to hold and waves it around like a foil. "Ooh, maybe it's one of those dark magic things. You use bones for stuff like that, right? For controlling people? Dance! Dance, my minions!"

If nothing happens, Bugs quickly gets bored with his trial and error process. "Oh well, I guess I need to find a pearl. Maybe in the river."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#45 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bugs looks the tapered ivory wand over carefully for the first time, scratching some dirt away from the butt to discover a tiny inscription burned into it.
sun-symbol.png
sun-symbol.png (5.12 KiB) Viewed 298 times
He obviously has no idea what it means, so he starts waving it around, pretending he's a wizard.

Fortunately, nothing horrible happens from his experimenting as he is unable to trigger any magical effects.
Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#46 Post by Hotgoblin »

Stirling wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:25 pm yes, true, I spent the last one.

Crabgrass

"It might be worthwhile doing. The recuperating is not so hard, a good night's sleep suffice. But a pearl of great price is the key. Wisdom and revelation have a cost and that comes to at least a hundred gold pieces.

We can put that on the back burner for now, unless you can 'trial and error' test it. Just don't point it in my direction and say 'kaboom!'

I will post in a few location threads and try to find a mage or a source for magical compounds.
Loyn-dwarf fighter

Loyn enters the Inn and makes his way to Crabgrass’s room, he knocks and enters. “Hello, I’ve be thinking a lot about this dog biscuit me Dad left me. I visited the local baker, Brother Martin, and he said some things that really opened my eyes to its possible use. Crabgrass, I’m wondering if you could do your hocus-pocus on this biscuit and tell me if it radiates anything. I believe it holds some mystical properties.”
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Receives Loyn and his petrified biscuit token. is it actually petrified or just hard tack and mouldy?

Figuring Loyn fills him in on his investigations regarding it so far.

"I can pray for divine counsel and appropriate a prayer that will Purify Food & Water tomorrow. Maybe then in its pure crafted form any magic residue will resonate under a Detect Magic incantation." He suggests actioning those cleric and mage spells upon it.
A few seconds later, almost as if on cue, the sounds of 2 dogs can be heard barking at each other somewhere in the distance.
Maybe this is not actually coincidental at all? Your father Groyn befriended 'a talking dog'? And your second name, Bene, was your Father's canine companion?

Crabgrass thinks, speculating to any dog biscuit significance. The biscuit, its aroma seems to provoke dogs. To follow you? Is it a 'biscuit of dog summoning'? Or rather, maybe you are intended to have this so that you rather than your Father may be found.

"Have you tried speaking to these dogs?"

Crabgrass can speak Gnoll but not Kobold, which I assume are rooted in some canine vocabulary origins.

"Tell me more about the speaking dog that your Father befriended."
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

He passes Loyn as he exits. "Hey Leader Loyn. I'm trying to arrange a rescue party for my Da and friend. Just heading down to the river if you're interested."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rex »

Rida

"I will help."

Rida follows along with Bugs.
Hotgoblin

#50 Post by Hotgoblin »

Stirling wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:00 am
"Have you tried speaking to these dogs?"

Crabgrass can speak Gnoll but not Kobold, which I assume are rooted in some canine vocabulary origins.

"Tell me more about the speaking dog that your Father befriended."
Loyn-Dwarf Fighter
No, I haven’t tried talking with any. The only info I know is that he was very intelligent and that everyone that knew him loved him, especially me Dad! I appreciate your help with spell. In the meantime I’m off with Bugs to search for his Dad. Unfortunately, searching for family seems to be a common theme! Wish us luck! He leaves and heads for the tavern.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass
He leaves and heads for the tavern.
does Loyn leave the petrified biscuit with him to study? I could add it to my investigation points and maybe go around the Keep and see if a dog actually responds.
Hotgoblin

#52 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn-Dwarf fighter

He turns to Crabgrass and as he hands the biscuit to him, he grabs his arm and looks up into his eyes,“We trust each other with our lives. This biscuit is very dear to me, I’m entrusting that you protect it the same way. Do we have an understanding?
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

"I am sure I can avoid any temptation to eat it."
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Dwindling his cash reserves, he hopes his next expedition is more successful and lucrative. He needs a new pearl at least and reimbursement for the tavern upkeep and egg investment.

He approaches the innkeeper. "I will be gone a few days but as I have some personal stuff I need leave behind; my lockbox of scientific flasks and holy scribblings, I wanted to pay ahead to keep my room or bunk undisturbed. The sheets and pillows are clean, so no need to disturb anything."

-6gp to cover a week's use even in my absence.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#55 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Calista

"Your room will be held for you and left untouched until your return, sir."
Hotgoblin

#56 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn-Dwarf fighter

Loyn walks in, keeping his distance from anyone, due to his unfavorable stench. “Good day, we’re back and I’m in need of a bath!”
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#57 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Calista holds her nose at the Legendary smell.

“Of course, Loyn. One warm bath, coming right up.”
Hotgoblin

#58 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn Dwarf fighter

Loyn blushes a little and says, “Me clothing needs some laundering too.” Once done bathing and putting on a change of clothing, he’ll head to Crabgrass’s room to get the biscuit he lent him to study. He thanks Calista for the bath and heads off to the tavern to meet up with the others.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#59 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hotgoblin wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 am Loyn Dwarf fighter

Once done bathing and putting on a change of clothing, he’ll head to Crabgrass’s room to get the biscuit he lent him to study.
Loyn looks around for his Da's biscuit that he lent to Crabgrass to "study", but to the surly dwarfs horror, he doesnt find the smelly item (or Crabgrass) anywhere inside their room. :shock: :? :D
Hotgoblin

#60 Post by Hotgoblin »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:37 pm
Loyn looks around for his Da's biscuit that he lent to Crabgrass to "study", but to the surly dwarfs horror, he doesnt find the smelly item (or Crabgrass) anywhere inside their room. :shock: :? :D

Loyn-Dwarf fighter
The damn mage must have it with him! He better not be dead!!

Return to “Areas of the Keep”