OOC Banter

Edeldhur
Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC Banter

#41 Post by Edeldhur »

donjong wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:09 pm Damn, these dice rolls are brutal! Without the Sleep spell I think we'd be toast (we might very well be anyway...) :D
I have to agree!
The dice roller is really treating you guys VERY poorly :shock:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rex »

The roller seems to like/dislike certain characters and sometimes groups. We are rolling badly and I have several other characters that also seem to always roll badly. But I also have 3 that consistently roll very well, one is famous for his clutch rolls and surviving when he has no right doing so.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#43 Post by Dicey »

Why do people continue with a flawed roller? There are others out there with archive and link capabilities.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rex »

The roller isn't actually flawed. Like actual dice it can be streaky at times. But, my real life job is as a chemist and in addition to my chemistry degree I have a minor in statistical analysis. I look at real world data for a living. I have run a large set of data, all my rolls and the roller is pretty random. As good as can be expected from a computer generated random number anyways. If you search there are discussions about it in some of the general threads somewhere on here.

donjong
Runner
Runner

#45 Post by donjong »

Yeah, I don't think the dice roller is flawed either.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by gurusql »

I need my pc to be npc-ed for a little while as I am in the hospital

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by gurusql »

I can honestly say that this party complaining back and forth is huge negative on this game for me. This is second time in this short game that this has happened. Players, please get your stuff worked out, I have no interest in these topics.

donjong
Runner
Runner

#48 Post by donjong »

I don't know if I'm included in your assessment, gurusql, but for the record I have little interest in this moral discussion and would simply like the game to move forward.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#49 Post by Edeldhur »

gurusql wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:57 pm I need my pc to be npc-ed for a little while as I am in the hospital
Apologies gurusql, for some strange reason this message slipped by me. I hope you are feeling better now.

As for the in character discussions, I am usually inclined to leave that up to the players, as I expect them (again the players) to find ways to bring their characters into some sort of middle ground and contribute with keeping the group cohesion, and some commonality of objectives.

Regarding moving the game forward, I am usually happy with letting the flow of the scenes dictate it - as long as I still see meaningful interaction in the current scene I am inclined to keep it up. And then move forward when the group has some sort of agreed upon decision on their next steps. Of course sometimes I will just take the decision myself about pushing things forward, and that's that.

I find that in PbP, as in RPGs in general, it is both a function of the DM and the Players to set the rhythm of the game - so you (the Players) can also come to an agreement (I am not offended if you want to comment OOC stuff like - 'my character is ready to move along toward this or that', which usually helps the DM and other players in gauging if it is time to move or not yet. My personal preference is for objective statements about the next actions for one's character when doing such comments, since they contribute to moving the action forward, as opposed to comments like 'Ok, I'm done here. We can move along', which are more vague. Even if your character does not care where he/she goes next, I am sure the Player will have an opinion :D).

This has nothing in particular to do with the current situation, just sharing some of my views on game of this semi-sandbox-y nature, and on how we can do things better as we go along. We do not know each other 'around the table', so some fine-tuning is usually necessary.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#50 Post by Darithe »

I too have no interest in these topics and I'm sorry if my character's actions created an impasse. I'm here to have fun and this is not fun, so I think it best if I stepped aside for one of the players on your waiting list. Thank you Edeldhur for the game and I wish you all the best going forward.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by gurusql »

gurusql wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:58 am I can honestly say that this party complaining back and forth is huge negative on this game for me. This is second time in this short game that this has happened. Players, please get your stuff worked out, I have no interest in these topics.
In response to donjong's question I am not calling out or pointing to any one players posts, I just want to game is have a group that bonds and supports each other. If players want interpersonal struggles and interparty conflict great more power to them, but I will most likely find my gaming enjoyment in another place.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rex »

I agree with both Darithe and gurusql in that I am not a fan of the Player vs Player. I don't think you caused any issues with your actions Darithe. Maybe we could just all agree to move forward a little more group oriented and direct our conflict (of all types) outward as opposed to inward (in relation to the party).

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by Edeldhur »

Darithe wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:33 pm I too have no interest in these topics and I'm sorry if my character's actions created an impasse. I'm here to have fun and this is not fun, so I think it best if I stepped aside for one of the players on your waiting list. Thank you Edeldhur for the game and I wish you all the best going forward.
I think we can all agree none of us are interested in intra party strife or player vs. player actions, so I would ask you to reconsider Darithe and stay with the game. Of course if there is any other reason you would rather leave, that is perfectly understandable. No harm, no foul. But if it is because the whole dynamic regarding the goblin, I think we can come to a level of understanding which works for all.

Following up on what was also said by gurusql and Rex, I think interparty banter is nice and welcomed, even perhaps a hint of conflict can be interesting, but at the end of the day we are here to play together, and that needs to be the end goal - there may be other instances and games where players are adversarial to each other, but that is not the game I am interested in running here.

I don't think your actions have caused any issues, so I will pick up on the words of Rex, the Wise, and hope we can move forward :D
Rex wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:42 pmMaybe we could just all agree to move forward a little more group oriented and direct our conflict (of all types) outward as opposed to inward (in relation to the party).
I am sure Talesian and Hreigă can meet halfway in their individual convictions.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#54 Post by Dicey »

Edeldhur wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:45 pm I am sure Talesian and Hreigă can meet halfway in their individual convictions.
Talesian will take the top half of the goblin, and Hreiga the lower half.

The red head is a fiery outspoken lass and calls it as she sees it, but I’ll have her go kumbayah.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by Darithe »

Thank you Edeldhur, I have thought it over and while I feel things could go forward easily enough, I'm still going to drop out and open the character up for someone from your waiting list. I'm finding myself over-extended in the games I'm participating in and feel I need to drop one or two. And since you have no dearth of people wanting to play it would be selfish of me to continue taking up a spot when my heart isn't in it. Thank you for the wonderful game and allowing me to play with such creative people.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by Edeldhur »

Darithe wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:20 pm Thank you Edeldhur, I have thought it over and while I feel things could go forward easily enough, I'm still going to drop out and open the character up for someone from your waiting list. I'm finding myself over-extended in the games I'm participating in and feel I need to drop one or two. And since you have no dearth of people wanting to play it would be selfish of me to continue taking up a spot when my heart isn't in it. Thank you for the wonderful game and allowing me to play with such creative people.
I am sorry to hear it Darithe, but thank you for being upfront and honest about it. I have been in that position myself, and I think it is better to leave a game we are not enjoying so much, to focus on those which are bringing us the most enjoyment, than dragging it along as a chore. Like I said, no harm, no foul. Good luck with your other games!

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#57 Post by Edeldhur »

Maybe it is a good moment to take stock of everyone’s intention toward the game? Are we continuing? Are people having second thoughts? Is anyone feeling there are irreconcilable differences in ‘gaming style’ between their characters and others? Now is the time to get it out in the open.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#58 Post by Dicey »

Talesian has said her piece and whats done is done. She is open to continuing with what the party wants, be it meet the Margrave, search the Ironwood (the elf’s pregen sheet says he is a talented tracker, maybe find goblin trail), or whatever.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by gurusql »

Keep going

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rex »

I am fine keeping going.