Smoking Out The Bandits

OGRE MAGE
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Smoking Out The Bandits

#161 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Seeing that the situation is quickly falling into a two front battle, she takes charge.

"Magdal I would request that you support Dredd, he cannot take on the troll alone. Stobart, you and I should follow in second rank and cast light on the eyes of the troll, giving a chance for Pim and/or Skratch to do what they do best with the blinded opponent. I will follow up with Magic Missile wounding the hopefully blind troll. Now you all know why I wanted to stay at the bridge. :lol: "

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#162 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan "A troll? Are we even properly equipped for fighting such a thing?" the halfling doesn't know exactly what to do but he doesn't think fighting a troll is a smart idea....
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

"That's a good plan Renna, but it doesn't look like it's ready to attack yet, why don't we hold of but be ready if it makes any offensive moves."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#164 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal moves to stand beside Dredd, arrow still nocked though she lowers her bow for the moment. "Never met a troll before," she asks Dredd, "Are they talkative sorts or generally just looking for a meal of tasty Longspeareans?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc reddens somewhat as Magdal speaks with him, but then realizes she is waiting for an answer, which makes him redden some more. "Erm...don't know much about trolls, to be honest. I've heard tales is all. And from what I remember, they will eat just about anything...even Longspeareans." He tries to smile and realizes his teeth are showing, then just grins instead.
"If he charges, get behind me. Maybe I'll give him heartburn and you can finish him off."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#166 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Loosing A Hand?
The Caves Of Chaos
Late Morning, Mostly Clear

Renna gives the group some options for the imminent battle with the observant troll, but a few members of the party question if they should fight it al all. Skratch looks even more apprehensive than the halfling Pimlan. Dredd and Magdal form a line but don't advance, noticing that once Crobeus and Meinhardt start making their way up the rocks again, the troll starts to move closer to the party on the ground, moving halfway across the floor of the ravine to stand in the small stream, where it studies the actions of the group carefully.

Crobeus climbs up the rough rock wall to reach the engaged pair on the second tier of ledges, while Meinhardt continues to climb up to the next highest level of cave mouths.

While the others climb, Crabgrass commands Dubricus to cast his Sleep magic, as he himself calls forth magical electricity which surges through his apprehended prosthetic. He hears a shout of pain from the other side of the wall, though his arm is not yet released. Dubricus does exactly as commanded, casting his spell centered on Crabgrass. Sleepy Time? (Half-Elf=30% Elf=90%) [1d100]=85 Can I get a Save vs. Spells from Crabgrass, please?

Crobeus can hear scuffling and other commotion not far inside the dark cave opening, but so far none of its inhabitants have rushed out to kill him.

Actions?

A cave (1).jpeg
A cave (1).jpeg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Magdal (R1) AC:7 12/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 8/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5 Sleep:5
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) H-E AC:7 7/7 SG / Sanct:2
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5 MM/MM
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 13/16

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

Perches above and watches the cave entrance.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Crabgrass: Saving Throw vs Spells 12+ [1d20]=20

If he is let go of, then he will stand and move to the cave entrance. If still caught and held, he will ready a Cure Spell to counter any injury he might suffer.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#169 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal nods at Dredd's words, "Heartburn eh? I guess that makes you one spicy Longspearean." She takes a defensive but non-aggressive stance for now. "Oh and I don't hide behind friends. If he attacks we both give him hell."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#170 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"You two couldn't just leave things alone, could ya? Now I've got to kill whatever's in there while a troll is checking out the rest of the party!" The paladin will stab his sword into the opening, hoping to hit whatever currently has Crabgrass' arm held fast.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc chuckles and nods. "Maybe while I try to put his eyes out with my spear, you can flank him. By then, the others will decide to do something to help us." Dredd sighs loudly. "How did we get ourselves into this, Mags?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#172 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stirling wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:59 pm Crabgrass

Crabgrass: Saving Throw vs Spells 12+ [1d20]=20

If he is let go of, then he will stand and move to the cave entrance. If still caught and held, he will ready a Cure Spell to counter any injury he might suffer.
Scott308 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:42 am Crobeus - Human Paladin

"You two couldn't just leave things alone, could ya? Now I've got to kill whatever's in there while a troll is checking out the rest of the party!" The paladin will stab his sword into the opening, hoping to hit whatever currently has Crabgrass' arm held fast.
OOPS!!!

I guess I better re-read the PH, as Sleep gets no save. :oops:

So.......

Crabgrass actually falls asleep with his arm stuck in the niche up to his shoulder. He just hangs there by one arm, snoring away.

Crobeus cant get his sword through the small opening without injuring CG, but the Paladin does notice that his arm goes a little slack once he falls asleep.

Dubricus notices this as well.

"Perhaps you could try to pull him free now?" He shrugs to Crobus.

Actions?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Stirling »

I guess I better re-read the PH, as Sleep gets no save.
that is true, it affects a range of HD groups.

Crabgrass, if pulled out from the niche, body and his outstretched arm reaching into the hole and flap, that might count as waking him up. So I guess that would be my next action.

"... did we get them?" he asks while yawning awake.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#174 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan squints trying to make out what the hell is going on with the other group "Wish I could have afforded to buy a spyglass. or had someone give me eagle eye vision."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Renna will back up the two fighters ready to cast light it the troll makes a hostile move.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#176 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

Crobeus tries to pull the half-elf's arm out of the hole.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#177 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Woah, Missed Your Hand
The Caves Of Chaos
Late Morning, Mostly Clear

Once Crobeus has the arm of the still sleeping Crabgrass about half way back out of the hole again, Dubricus pipes up loudly and proudly.

“YES! Good Knight! Pull our friends arm loose from the grips of certain death! Did you see how I did that? Saved his life so easily with my magic? EVERYONE?!?!” He shouts down to those assembled below, despite the absurdity of such an action in this still precarious situation. The Paladin gets Crabgrass free completely before waking him up, apparently no worse for ware.

Down below, the group facing the distant troll witness it do something odd. The gangly green rubbery skinned monster doesn’t charge, instead it simply waves one huge clawed hand in a welcoming manner, as if indicating it wants one of you to follow it. After that, it turns and starts to walk back towards its cave opening.

Actions?

Magdal (R1) AC:7 12/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 8/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5 Sleep:3
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) H-E AC:7 7/7 SG / Sanct
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5 MM/MM
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 13/16

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc jumps a little, startled by Dubricus yelling and basically "...announcing to the entire wilderness where we are! What an idiot!" He growls. Then, the troll...
"Is it waving at us? Could it be friendly?" he asks Magdal.
Winter is coming...

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#179 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Irked a bit by the pompous mage's bellowing, Magdal focuses on the troll, "You know Dredd, I believe he is trying to be friendly. Should we follow him?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

"Guys, what are we trying to focus on? We came to hunt toll-bandits. Now I don't know which of these trophy heads that disappeared into the niche hole and behind the flap is an orc, a kobold or a human. Fairly certain it wasn't a troll-head.

However, if our esteemed leader Dubious has cast Sleep well enough, then whoever grabbed me might be inside somewhere behind these niche ledges.

Forget the troll waving us to follow it to a goblin trap! I remember they aligned to it. Let's explore where we are before any sleepy-heads wake up."

Crabgrass will toss the trophy head aside if he still has hold of it, thanking those who pulled him free and go to scout the nearby cave entrance.

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”