Blackened Forest: Bounty Hunting the Red Fang Renegades.

Spearmint
Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Blackened Forest: Bounty Hunting the Red Fang Renegades.

#21 Post by Edeldhur »

Hedrak

(Sticking with the same memorized spells - need to start making better use of Speak with Animals, maybe we will get some clues)

In the morning, ever curious Hedrak will check the boulder roof for clues as to whom might might have been up there during the night.

During the trek, and like the day before, he remains attentive and keeps Dog close to them.

"Do we know anything about how far ranging can the patrols from the Red Fangs be, or their usual size?" - he asks his companions as they move along - "And approximately how far we might be from their settlement?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner

Checks out the boulder area and tries to do a good job of covering any tracks. By ranger tradition, he leaves behind a few supplies for the next niche user, hoping it stays as a secret hideaway within the rangerly community. (Minus some rations and fletched arrows).

As far as the continued trek, we should be within a few miles. I understand it is 'over the ridge', going up some undulating terrain until we reach the crest of the hill peak where we should be able to note a stilted watchtower that guards the trail on the other side to the Bugbear village.

Should I need checks:

Blaze Horner: Ranger Surprise check: [1d100]=34Blaze Horner: Ranger tracking skills: [1d100]=61Blaze Horner: Longbow [1d20+1]=17+1=18[1d6]=3 [1d20+1]=14+1=15[1d6]=6

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

Just to give you a reminder of the general perception of the Bugbears, as spoken by ranger Hunnicot to Dalin:
"The Bugbears are a primitive humanoid, living off the land as hunter-gatherers as much as thievery and banditry as you discovered on the route. A warrior takes his esteem from how many wives he has or can steal and how many enemies he can kill. They have no brotherhood or loyalty. I would save you in battle, you would save me but the bugbear could just as soon watch you die then slay whoever killed you so that he can brag to your grieving widow how he avenged your death and then take her as part of his victory spoils. If course then he lionises any children. Not saying they kill them off but perhaps drive your posterity away so he can bring the bugbear bitch back into season and breed more of the same. No doubt one of his sons will rise up to kill him and claim the family rule. And so it goes on.

But apart from petty rivalries, they respect warrior virtues, a good fighter might not be slain but taken on as an indentured servant, though probably an emasculated one just in case Mrs Bugbear fancies a bit of noggin' whilst Big-Dog is out hunting.

They also value a man's word. You say you are going to do something and then they expect that to happen. You say peace, they expect peace. You say war, they pick up their spears. You say trade they will offer equity of goods.

The druids at Crooked Yew mine the many bee hives and with skill turn the honey into salves, lotions and potions. Not just sweet treats on your daily bread.

So we trade those as leverage for peace, though now that Clive was taken ... Well let's just hope he is still alive and we can ransom him back."

Divadroy, a leprosy afflicted Bugbear is slowly assimilating into the wider community of humanity that lives in Crooked Yew. He still retains much of his humanoid culture; in personal hygiene, eating habits, world view. But remains loyal to the druids at least as they minister to cure their congenital disease.

After breakfasting, the trek through the western hills of the Blackened Forest continues with no further intrusion though Dog finds a very interesting side trail that he sniffs with great interest. He seems a little familiar with the scent but any investigation, thinking the renegades might be that way, do not uncover any clues or definitive findings.

By midday you breach the higher hills and peer across a vantage point one side of a narrow valley from where you can see a rickety watchtower that serves as an observation point over the valley below and surrounding forest behind. Two Bugbear figures lean lazily upon the parapet.

actions please.
Attachments
Bugbear watchtower.
Bugbear watchtower.
istockphoto-1289023583-612x612.jpg (79.38 KiB) Viewed 166 times

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner

Assesses the Watchtower and looks about the ground inbetween and across the narrow valley. If there is cover from attacks or could a rogue sneak closer.

Are the two figures moving about? Lazing about motionless could mean they are dead and propped up or even straw-men.

I think Hunnicot used a signal mirror to flash the guards previously, something I don't carry. I could use a saucepan lid and catch the sunlight if neccessary, defering to our bugbear translator for any protocol to gollow beyond walking out with hands raised.

That is if we wish direct contact now? "What do you think Hedrak? Contact now or skirt around the valley and enter the village from the other side?"

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by Edeldhur »

Hedrak

"My concern is if we make first contact, and they wish to take us to the tribe, we might suddenly find ourselves surrounded" - Hedrak whispers to Stirling - "Perhaps we can convince them to send a small group to parley with us out here?"

The half-orc ponders for a few more moments, then adds in whispered tones - "In fact, we may want to go ahead and find an advantageous locale for the meeting in advance, and then suggest it, if we are given a chance"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Spearmint »

"In fact, we may want to go ahead and find an advantageous locale for the meeting in advance, and then suggest it, if we are given a chance"
Circumnavigation of this ridge or scouting out another locale rather than just signalling your whereabouts and walking from the opposite treeline and down the small valley and up to them (in the open) will need a decision and action.

I will prompt Blaze then go forward with the choice.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Edeldhur »

Spearmint wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:43 pm
"In fact, we may want to go ahead and find an advantageous locale for the meeting in advance, and then suggest it, if we are given a chance"
Circumnavigation of this ridge or scouting out another locale rather than just signalling your whereabouts and walking from the opposite treeline and down the small valley and up to them (in the open) will need a decision and action.

I will prompt Blaze then go forward with the choice.
Sounds fair. I was waiting for Blaze to reply :)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner

I suppose I favoured a direct approach, especially if there are just two of them and with our Bugbear translator, they consider us in friendly terms. However I am aware it was a leper Bugbear victim of a lynching near to the druids place. So scouting the village to see if renegades are infiltrating and restoring their pagan practices sounds good.

So, take a longer circle around the valley to view from the forest the other side / rear of village.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by Edeldhur »

Hedrak

"It is settled then" - Hedrak whispered - "Let us back away from this guard post, and take a longer circle around the valley for more info on the village, and also look for a good parley location in case we need one"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Spearmint »

Circumnavigating the Watchtower.

Careful observance shows the two Bugbears in the watchtower are lazing about, active by walking about their confines but not so concentrated upon watch duties. At least it confirms they are alive and not dummy figures.

Blaze Horner: surprise vs 50% [1d100]=10

Blaze Horner does his duty unlike the watchtower pair, concentrating upon his surrounds and careful navigating his way through the forest. His sense of awareness heightened and this allows him to pick up on the potential for danger ahead. You sneak across the open valley, flitting between outcrops of boulders and ferny bushes, scrambling up the opposite hillside and into the denser forest. As you all gather in a huddle, you can gesture an alarm and each take a step back to hide as well as you can in among the boughs and branches. Walking along in your direction is a tall muscular figure, easily seven feet plus tall, so the size of a Bugbear but this man is not a hoary humanoid type. Rather he is from 'giant-kin stock' though unlike his neanderthal framed ogre cousins or brutish Hill Giant spawn, he dresses in a strange, almost arcanist style, with a flowing purple toga robe and sandals, leaning upon a thick staff. Most notably his face, inset beneath a razored bald head above the bridge of his nose is one single huge and bulging eye.

Actions please
Attachments
Cyclopskin
Cyclopskin
IMG_20240513_011336.jpg (122.55 KiB) Viewed 115 times

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#31 Post by Edeldhur »

Hedrak

The half-orc remains hidden keeping a hand on Dog, and in silence advises the others to likewise stay out of sight.
He peers attentively at the gigantic creature, trying to ascertain if it bears any symbols he may recognize, and also whether it walks alone or accompanied by any others.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner

If anything suggests evil, humanoid cult leader then this image might be just that. The movevaway from the Cyclops as an ogrish brute to this makes us think of a different challenge. Robes and staff, arcanist style? A mage or priest?

I will ask Divadroy if the bugbears know of this figure? Does he regularly visit? Is he a resident? What the lepers might know of him.

I am tempted to announce our presence but I think prudently letting him pass and tracking him a short way might be best.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Spearmint »

I will ask Divadroy if the bugbears know of this figure? Does he regularly visit? Is he a resident? What the lepers might know of him.
Your translator does not recognise the Cyclopsian figure. The quartet shield themselves from view or at least hope they do as the robed giant strides by. The Cyclops passes the dense undergrowth hideaway, Dog hushed by Hedrak lest a growl or bark alerts him to your presence. But he doesn't turn his head, keeping to his walk along the edge of the forest, heading uphill towards the Watchtower area some hundreds of yards away.

However the figure does halt abruptly with his back to you about a medium bowshot away. He bends to pick a wild flower, sniffs the blossom and pins the stalk to his robe before walking on.

Tracking him back to the Watchtower would be a fairly simple exercise or you can carry on with the plan to scout the Bugbear village from the other side.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner

Watches the strange Cyclops go by. My instinct is to attack him, taking advantage of my 'ranger class vs humanoid/giant types' but I steady myself as much as Hedrak holds back his hound.
However the figure does halt abruptly with his back to you about a medium bowshot away. He bends to pick a wild flower, sniffs the blossom and pins the stalk to his robe before walking on.
I think this is a test. That we were noted and the Cyclops is giving us opportunity to strike him. He is testing our motives, not being completely unaware. What do you think Hedrak?

So if he goes to the Watchtower, I am assuming he is giving them orders or, like us, introducing himself before going into the village?

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Edeldhur »

Hedrak

The half-orc observes the cyclopean giant for a few more seconds - "Shall we shadow him, and find his motives?" - he replied to Blaze in a whisper - "I think it important for us to understand the relation if any between the giant and the bugbears" - he added.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner

Keeping to a good distance, preferably out of sight altogether until we near the Watchtower perimeter and can spy on them from a hidden spot.

Blaze Horner: Ranger tracking skills: [1d100]=13

I don't mind retracing our steps as Hedrak mentioned, there could be some importance we discover.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by Edeldhur »

Hedrak

Hedrak and Dog follow Blaze as silently as they can muster.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring Bhaz'rad Dur.

The quartet stealthily creep through the dense forest undergrowth, stalking the strange Cyclopskin from a bowshot's distance. That far away you cannot hear any conversations, so you have to observe as much as you can.

The one-eyed giant walks along the edge of the valley, steep stony bluffs and a descent to the valley floor on one side, shadowed forest on the other. He heads towards the Watchtower, stopping within a few yards and raises a hand up as if to signal the two lazing guards. Their reaction is to nock arrows, loosing one each but the robed figure simply plucks the shafts out of the air mid-flight. With a somatic gesture, one of the Bugbear guards drops prone before he can nock a second arrow.

With one eye (his only one) fixed upon the guards, he may be more distracted by any intervention you wish to make. So with that in mind, any actions please

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner
With one eye (his only one) fixed upon the guards, he may be more distracted by any intervention you wish to make.
that is an invitation to trouble I think. :lol:

"A spell-casting monk Cyclops? This guy is a wonder for sure."

At least I think that is what has happened. Catching the arrows, perhaps casting a Sleep spell? I will get closer and observe but just in case, nock an arrow if we become targeted by any attacks.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#40 Post by Edeldhur »

Hedrak
Stirling wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:02 am Blaze Horner
With one eye (his only one) fixed upon the guards, he may be more distracted by any intervention you wish to make.
that is an invitation to trouble I think. :lol:
(I think Spearmint is trying to kill us again - damn him! :mrgreen: )

The half-orc allows the Ranger to move on slightly ahead of the group, to make sure they do not disturb his stealthy approach (If I survive to my first Thief level, I will start scouting with you!) - from that distance he follows him, ready to spring to his companion's aid if needed.

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”