Scroll 1 - The Master Craftsman's Tea Vessel

jemmus
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Scroll 1 - The Master Craftsman's Tea Vessel

#461 Post by Rex »

Fuma

He will get up onto the wall where he thinks it will put him in range of the dog. Assembling the blowgun once up on top and using all 3 sections.

Speed ST [1d20]=16

Ninjitsu [1d20]=7

Blowgun [1d20]=19

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#462 Post by ffilz »

Where did Jinsei climb over, and what route?

How exposed would Minoru be on the top of the wall?

I think I do want to be on the wall so he can easily signal Kaida if things go pear shaped.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#463 Post by Grognardsw »

ffilz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:52 pm Where did Jinsei climb over, and what route?

How exposed would Minoru be on the top of the wall?

I think I do want to be on the wall so he can easily signal Kaida if things go pear shaped.
Jinsei, Fuma and I assume Minoru went over the north wall, so as to be close to the north wall of the bedroom.

The moon is waxing, so I’m not sure how exposed the top of the 10’ wall is.

Okay, let’s retcon Fuma borrowing poison. Jinsei is at the moment judging how far away the dog is.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by jemmus »

Fuma's climbing roll failed. Actually I had it wrong, per the rules the ability is Deftness/2. In Fuma's case 20 / 2 = 10. (Minoru has the same numbers. His ninjutsu succeeded, so he was silent.
We need Minoru's climbing roll, and a ninjutsu roll, if he wants to do it silently.
Perching on a wall would make you fairly visible tonight. But if you have a successful ninjutsu roll, Minoru would not be visible until he changes location or performs an action such as an attack. Then another ninjutsu roll would be needed.

The map has numbers for location reference points. (It's an amalgam of what Kaida and the shinobi have seen of the compound). Please state where your character is. Jinsei is inside the compound and under the mansion's floor. Fuma and Minoru are both still outside the north wall. If they succeed in their climbs, please also state their destination within the compound (before making any ninjutsu roll to move to there undetected).

I suppose Kaida should be in the 13-16 area for casting the Smokes of Nai spell. For Minoru to be able to see her and the action inside the compound, he might need to be around the 3 area. But south of the bamboo, which is around 20 ft tall.

PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#465 Post by Grognardsw »

Where is the dog relative to your numbers?

The wall is only 10', which I'd think a ninja could jump up and grab the edge, use the katana as a step up, or M give F an hand up.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#466 Post by jemmus »

Bushido has specific rules for climbing and jumping, and from our past experience I don't like to deviate from the rules much. The rules are all pretty tightly integrated with each other. The rules for climbing are divided into Steep Climbs and Easy Climbs. Easy climbs are up slopes, walls with thick vines, etc. and the GM can waive the roll requirement. These walls are vertical and clean. Jumping and grabbing the roof would work, but the rules would still require a climbing/jumping roll.

I think Minoru has a ladder gimmick thing (shinobi-kumade) that he can use to make a Steep Climb into an Easy Climb, with no roll needed. Jinsei's ninja-to's saya (scabbard) interlocks with the sword blade to make a climbing platform for an Easy Climb. Fuma's kyotetsu-shoge can be used as a grappling hook for an Easy Climb, but a kusari-jutsu (chain weapon technique) roll is needed.

Last night Kaida saw the dog sheltering from the rain under the "roofed columns" text on the east side of the map. We dog's position tonight will depend on the PCs' positions and whether it detects them or not based on their ninjutsu. If it doesn't, you can probably of course attract it toward a location by making a noise there.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#467 Post by ffilz »

Minoru will use his climbing pole. And I guess he wants to go up the North side, and then what will it take to get onto the roof of the main house?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#468 Post by jemmus »

Minoru can use the climbing pole to climb to the roof too. But crossing the open ground undetected will require a ninjutsu roll.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#469 Post by ffilz »

How far is it from the wall to the house?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by jemmus »

The distance would depend on where Minoru is. Please see the map in post #465. viewtopic.php?p=701835#p701835 From point 2 on the map to the house is 5.7 yards.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#471 Post by ffilz »

I think Minoru will go over at point 2, and attempt to gain the roof. It should give him a good vantage, and if he keeps low or drops prone, he won't be too visible.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#472 Post by jemmus »

Minoru needs a ninjutsu BCS success to cross the grounds undetected. Then he can use his climbing poll for an Easy Climb onto the roof. Using the numbers on the map, please state where on the roof he wants to end up. Please note that the roofs have two sloping sides with a ridgepole in the center. From one side of the ridgepole the other side of the grounds won't be visible. Here's an image to help visualize this kind of mansion's structure. The layout is different, but the ridgepoles' orientation (E-W or N-S) is the same with the merchant's mansion.
Does Minoru give his poison darts to Fuma to use on the dog, or does he keep them?

Fuma climbing rolled failed, but his ninjutsu roll succeeded, so he remains undetected. He needs a successful (Deftness/2) +1 roll to climb the wall. Using the numbers on the map, please state where he climbs. Last evening, Kaida saw the dog sheltering from the rain under the columned walkway in the southeast (around the text "roofed columns").

Jinsei is under the mansion's floor. Please state his location using the numbers as a reference.

Kaida is outside the compound, in the dark alley between the mansion's roofed outer wall and the neighboring mansion's. Please also state her location using the map's numbers as a reference.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#473 Post by Marullus »

Kaida's Location:
I suppose Kaida should be in the 13-16 area for casting the Smokes of Nai spell. For Minoru to be able to see her and the action inside the compound, he might need to be around the 3 area. But south of the bamboo, which is around 20 ft tall.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#474 Post by Grognardsw »

I had envisioned J, M, F climbing over together at the north wall at 2, boosting each other up the 10’ wall to make it easy.

J crossed directly opposite 2 to under the house. I assumed M would be at the roof above there, to 1) give a symmetrical view left and right; 2) be close to us to give a bird whistle or dropped rock; 3) be high enough to toss a rock to where Kaida is west, so she can start the diversion at just the moment we need.

If M is the better blow gunner, he and J should be the one to dart the dog. M from above, J from ground level.

Once the dog is taken out, J and F proceed to go through wall (I think, need to review notes when that time comes.)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#475 Post by Rex »

Grognardsw wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:14 am I had envisioned J, M, F climbing over together at the north wall at 2, boosting each other up the 10’ wall to make it easy.

J crossed directly opposite 2 to under the house. I assumed M would be at the roof above there, to 1) give a symmetrical view left and right; 2) be close to us to give a bird whistle or dropped rock; 3) be high enough to toss a rock to where Kaida is west, so she can start the diversion at just the moment we need.

If M is the better blow gunner, he and J should be the one to dart the dog. M from above, J from ground level.

Once the dog is taken out, J and F proceed to go through wall (I think, need to review notes when that time comes.)
Agreed, this is a solid plan.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#476 Post by ffilz »

Ninjitsu roll:

Not so good.

Hmm, I'm actually confused where everyone is. I want to be able to watch where people are going and who might come up on them.

Yes, hand off poison.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by Grognardsw »

We went over the wall at 2 (circled) on the map, and crossed (indicated by line) to the north wall of our target room. This is the shortest distance from wall to target, and narrows entry of dog and guards to our left and right.

Following the drawn line, Jinsei is just under the raised floor of the house watching left and right. If Minoru takes position on roof at that same point, we will be able to observe left and right even better from higher vantage. Also close enough to alert J and F.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#478 Post by ffilz »

Grognardsw wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:16 pm We went over the wall at 2 (circled) on the map, and crossed (indicated by line) to the north wall of our target room. This is the shortest distance from wall to target, and narrows entry of dog and guards to our left and right.

Following the drawn line, Jinsei is just under the raised floor of the house watching left and right. If Minoru takes position on roof at that same point, we will be able to observe left and right even better from higher vantage. Also close enough to alert J and F.

Ok. That works.

Return to “Honor or Death (FGU Bushido)”