Crooked Yew: general thread

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Crooked Yew: general thread

#1 Post by Spearmint »

Firstly arriving in the settlement on the evening of June 22nd, just in time for the Summer Solstice festival; a discouraged group stretcher- bearing the deceased Piggott after a fatal encounter with an Undead Horde.

Moriartus, Dougal, Cadeweed, Raven, Jorly & NPC aides Eddery & Two-Birds come intent on assisting druid Clive to counter the growing pestilence that afflicts the sacred groves in the forest and in particular the guardian Treants or priests who minister within them.

The group recruit new priest, Perseverance Hake and set off, armed with healing potions and druidic grafting stems to revitalise the defiled places.

They return a few days later, June 29th, losing Eddery after a combat with tribesmen and gaining a dryad who is slowly dying from a disease.

Bringing her for healing, she can help restore the Silvanus groves afflicted by the Drider magic and Impurax cults.

The group take at least a week, until July 6th to rest and recuperate, research enchanted items and investigate in more detail the information they have gathered.

From July 6th -10th, characters may decide to return to Helix or venture again from the Herne settlement.

actions: any general character posts that are not other Settlement location specific.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Crooked Yew: general thread

#2 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

During their recovery at Crooked Yew, Moriartus pays special attention to the dryad's treatment and subsequent recovery. When she is well enough to walk on her own and carry on a conversation, he approaches her with a humble request. "Excuse me, Miss ... right, we never actually had an opportunity to learn your name at the time ... I hope you are recovering well?"

"If I may be so bold to ask, I have an inclination towards learning new languages and the chance to learn the language of the dryads is, well, irresistible to me. Would you be open to teaching me while we're in the village?"

Charisma (17): [4d6]=14

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Crooked Yew: general.

Dryad reactions : [1d100]=70

The dryad has a positive reaction to the mage's request, suggesting that you could learn rudimentary phrases. Her language is very foreign to humanoid tongues, being partially vocalised and some felt almost as whispers on the wind, the breeze flowing through the leaves.

You can practise a few phrases and learn more of the One Tree grove with Two-Birds.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Jernau35 »

Hake

With the intent to learn more about the forms of undead that are capable of draining the very soul from their victims, Hake approaches two of his companions. "Brother Cadeweed, back when we fought against the wights, you had a book that contained knowledge of their abilities. Would it be possible to look at it?"

gurusql wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:40 pm Cadeweed

Cadeweed will pull out a book from his backpack, "Moriartus is says here that the touch of the Wights will permanently drain life force from the victim. There is no known way to restore the life energy that was consumed by the Wight."
Hake makes a similar request of Moriartus. "As you know, St Ygg commands us not to suffer the presence of undead in the world of the living. Yet they have dreadful powers that make even the strongest warriors fearful to approach them."

"Just as there are prayers that can heal physical wounds, I wish to learn if there is a way to prevent undead from wounding the soul."

"After the battle with the wights, you spoke of a man who conducts research into the undead. Could you introduce me to him?"

Quonundrum wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:21 am Moriartus

"Thank you, Mr. Cadeweed. If there is a way to reverse the effect, I will find it." He then proceeds to unceremoniously, but carefully, cut out the blackened heart of the dead wight that struck Two-Birds. "Mr. Mazzah has a penchant for research on the undead ... and their component parts. He may be able to help."
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

Perseverance Hake
"After the battle with the wights, you spoke of a man who conducts research into the undead. Could you introduce me to him?

"Mr. Mazzah has a penchant for research on the undead ... and their component parts. He may be able to help.""
Moriartus can give a letter of introduction if he cannot introduce you in person. unless Quo objects, I can get the first person visiting Mazzah to take a look at the Wight organs.
"Just as there are prayers that can heal physical wounds, I wish to learn if there is a way to prevent undead from wounding the soul."
As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the above ability is taken as a focus for any future cleric class skill upgrade.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Sorry, missed Hake's question when I was sick. Yes, first person can provide Mazzah with the wight's heart.

"Indeed, Mr. Hake. In the event I cannot do so in person, I shall provide you with a letter of introduction. His name is Mazzah, short of Mazzah the Magnificent. He lives in Helix, inside a rather oddly shaped tower ... can't miss it, I assure you. He is a wizard and alchemist of considerable skill."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Stirling »

July 15th 1066

A bright and sunny day. Blaze Horner emerges from the Blackened Forest having trekked several days from 'over the hills and far away'. He whistles a little ditty as he approaches the guard gates to the stockaded community.

"Hail. Herne's grace to you. I have sojourned here after hearing of the Hives fame. Perhaps I could trade these braces of wild Turkey for a hot bath and ale?" he raises up some hunted game and trusts he can gain access. It is a long walk to Helix otherwise.
There is no established tavern but several 'moonshine' bars exist in cottage parlours.
Once in Crooked Yew, I will make my way to one of those spit & sawdust bars, meet and greet locals, find out about the place.

Firstly gaining a cooked meal, hoping to trade one turkey carcass to get a portion of the other cooked, an ale and a bath. He has few coins so needs to barter much of his way.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

Crooked Yew:

"Herne blessing. May His arrows be as true as your path." A guard answers Blaze's approach, signalling the gate unbarred if it is closed and under the wary eyes of the watchmen, the newcomer may enter. The place is a hive of activity, pun intended. A large portion of the settlement enclosed for the honey crafting druids, a new chapel and Duchy barracks being erected and the village proper built around a market square hub.

You navigate in and meander between the shanty dwellings.

Crooked Yew's residents: reactions to Blaze [1d100]=83

Amongst the Herne community, meat is not traditionally bought or sold. Rather game or hunted meat is taken in thanksgiving for Herne's provision and blessing. You have hunted these Turkeys and can 'offer' them as gifts though it becomes de facto bartering with the mistress of the house gladly taking one to pluck and stew, inviting you to share in a platter at the table later. In the meantime as it cooks, a tin bath in the yard outside is warmed over some hot coals and filled with a pail or two of boiled water for you to bathe the excesses of forest grime away.

The home is a basic dwelling, partly sectioned with ground floor pens for animals, a small barn with a 'hooch' still. A group of men drink at an ad-hoc bar, downing the local hoarse chicory flavoured moonshine, pouring you a glass and listen to stories of your travels.

Crooked Yew's residents: rumour mill: [1d6]=1 [1d6]=2 [1d6]=6

Conversations drift but you can pick up that Clive the senior Druid has engaged a prominent Mage and certain ruffians to combat a Hag who is behind the poisoning of the forest and root of the Beehive virus affliction . They departed the settlement earlier in the morning with a contingent of Duchy troopers.

The Bugbear lepers are being helped by the CY druids to overcome their congenital leprosy. But the assimilation into the community is slow, many settlers have suffered violently at the hands of Bugbear tribesmen and occasional animosity and hostility still occurs within the commune. A renegade group of Red Fangs, calling themselves 'the Undefeated' are making incursions into the forest again. One leper, out in the woods was found after his absence noted. He had been lynched, presumably as a warning that some remnant of cult adherence is still active.

The new cleric, the curate of the St Ygg chapel is bribing settlers to convert to the Futurus faith by listing the taxation threshold according to faith and newly baptised believers are levied less than those who stick by Herne.

Actions Blaze, add any Cha check to help gather Information and make appropriate contacts.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner

Scrubs himself clean in the hot tin tub, leaving a line of scummy grime to ring the water level, squishing any forest ticks still clinging to him and at least a clean shave using his sharp edged razor.

Keen to find adventure, he asks about the Bugbears and the humanoid villages over the hill. If the Duchy militia patrol the area, if the leprosy is contained.

"What of other throwbacks and Neanderthals? I heard stories of Troglodytes and Cavemen dwelling in the rocky crags?"

Blaze Horner: Charisma check vs 10 [4d6]=15

He tries not to provoke offense with questions if previous hostilities between them and the Bugbear tribes is still raw. He asks about the Herne Shrine and any protocols for worship and prayer, druid led devotionals.

He doesn't see the fairness in taxing folk at different rates, he prefers no tax at all but civic duties need supporting. "Are the young men drafted into the militia?", he wonders how much 'frontier freedoms' are being reined in.

Is Hunnicot the much lauded veteran ranger around. I will try to meet with him.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Edeldhur »

-- July 15th 1066 --

Hedrak

Hedrak sat crosslegged as the heart was consumed away during the ceremony. His pack, cloak and weapons laid on the ground next to him - normally he would not be so careless with his meager belongings, but Crooked Yew felt... Different. It had felt different since the day he had first arrived. Usually when arriving at a new region, the young druid would have looked for a place to call his temporary home away from humanoid settlements, and as deep in the wilds as possible. But he had heard rumors about the druidic presence in this unusual place, and he decided to come and look for himself. Dog had decided to come with him.

After the offering, he gathered his equipment and went looking for the Elder Druid, to pay his respects and ask for guidance. The Dog, lean but athletic followed close on his heels.

Coming across a group of men doing repairs in the palisade, he hailed them with a raised hand - "Well met" - he offered with a guttural voice - "I am a traveler, and I look for the elder of Herne in the village, to pay my respects" - the half-orc explained - "Can you point me in the right direction? And can I ask what happened to your palisade?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Spearmint »

Crooked Yew:

Stockade Gates:

The Watchmen eye warily the fur dressed wildling that approaches the main gate. Beside him a canine of rust fur and spots. It sat on hind haunches and pulled back its lips to bare a wide fanged mouth and vocalized a series of short barking giggles before licking his master's hand and wagging a tail in more conventional doggy fashion.

Hedrak: Stockade Gates charisma check [4d6]=13

"We seem to be welcoming all sorts today." says one guard, dressed in a Duchy tabard. "You'll have to muzzle your hound else we turn his pelt into some winter gloves." Surly mannered maybe but the gate is unbarred and Hedrak can enter, the settlers giving him a casual observation before turning back to their own business. Despite his appearance, he is not so dissimilar to many of the inhabitants.

The Druid Hives are set to one side, the village centre to the opposite. A set of menhirs with a lintel stone and flat topped slab used for Herne ceremonials rises on a hillock past the residences. Hedrak gets pointed to the way of Hives, cottage industries, bars and church buildings. Once the 'dog' is muzzled, a leather strap tie sufficient to stop it snapping at the many chickens that peck about, you are 'checked in' in sufficient cursory manner for Duchy admin noting who comes and goes, scribbling a name and description in a dusty ledger.

You note other newcomers pencilled in as arriving today. As to the stockade refurbishment, it comes as a result of Bugbear raids and the presence of Duchy militia and new barracks a compromise for extra security provided in exchange for increased taxes and the presence of the newly erected St Ygg chapel.

Hedrak, navigate to any specific location as you see fit.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Edeldhur »

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

Blaze Horner does his own information gathering, enquiring regards the tribal groups that live over the hills.
he asks about the Bugbears and the humanoid villages over the hill. If the Duchy militia patrol the area, if the leprosy is contained.
The leprosy the Bugbears suffer from does not seem to spread among the settlers, yet ... The Bugbears have it as a congenital affliction or a result of some baleful cultish backlash. Druid Clive has been able to stem the onset of Leprosy, tending to one of the dozen or so Lepers each month. His ability to 'Cure Disease' comes via druidic devotion and (as a 3rd level spell) is not automatically received. He has to petition for it. So the remedial addressing of their disease may take a full year to complete.

The Duchy Militia contingent is actually quite small and not able to do much beyond minimal patrols of the surrounding area. Occasional longer patrols are undertaken such as the one that left to accompany the Fey Wild party past the Troglodyte Caves.
"What of other throwbacks and Neanderthals? I heard stories of Troglodytes and Cavemen dwelling in the rocky crags?"
The Troglodyte Caves are home to a giant bee hive which the druids harvest precious royal jelly from. The caves are extensive and relatively unexplored.
Is Hunnicot the much lauded veteran ranger around. I will try to meet with him.
Hunnicot: availability vs 1-3 [1d6]=3

As luck would have it, the old ranger is about and an urchin can be despatched to let him know that someone seeks him.

Eventually he arrives in the hooch-bar, greeting patrons and Blaze.

actions, ask any further questions, add a Cha or Int check with your post to balance the response.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner

Blaze Horner: Intelligence check vs 14 [4d6]=9
Blaze Horner: Charisma check vs 10 [4d6]=15

The Troglodyte Caves or the Bugbear village scouting seem 'adventure' worthy treks. I will ask Hunnicot in regard to ranging and scouting, especially in the Blackened Forest.
A renegade group of Red Fangs, calling themselves 'the Undefeated' are making incursions into the forest again. One leper, out in the woods was found after his absence noted. He had been lynched, presumably as a warning that some remnant of cult adherence is still active.
Especially ask about this and what he is doing, if anything in regard to monitoring 'the Undefeated' specifically.

Can he tell me more about them?

In regards to accommodation and upkeep in Crooked Yew, are there hostels or places to stay or can I pitch a tent somewhere secure?

Also, is there a bulletin board advertising hired hands, mercenaries or is that a random chance. Is Hunnicot free to range?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Spearmint »

As far as 'upkeep' goes, the settlement has some longhouses that guests and travellers can use as basic hostel level stop overs. Tent pitching is fine if you have one. A few silvers to cover a meal and the maintenance of the sparse facilities is given. (You can lay a bedroll on a mattress of straw, use the outside latrine and cold water showers).

Hunnicot comes to join his junior comrade, Blaze Horner introducing himself and you can share various stories of trapping, tracking and trekking in the wilderness.

As far as he knows, the Undefeated' are a humanoid bandit group clinging to some Set cult adherence. They have assaulted trade wagons en route to and from the settlement, hit and running before any Duchy patrol can encounter them. Over the northern ridge is the village of Bhaz'rad Dur, is closest over the pine forest then you have Glaz'rada, 'the village of lepers' and after that the nomadic steppes.

He has no special task to monitor the bandits, but dealing with them would surely bring some financial reward. He assumes they operate out of one of these villages or a base in the forests but he hasn't found direct evidence to support that. Of the recent Bugbear leper lynching, he can point to a certain grove of trees outside the settlement, suggesting the leper was caught there, the copse has no special trees or purpose except being close to the trail to the home villages.

The Charisma check roll fail is resolved as Hunnicot being unavailable for recruiting, citing he has duties that take him elsewhere..

On a wider scale, Hunnicot would agree that a more studied delve of the Troglodyte Caves might be valuable also. The affliction of the Bee hive there seems quelled following reports of the party that fed the Queen a potion of healing. Scattered reports give details of random 'undead hordes' wandering from the Barrow Moor to the fringe of the forest; you will have read of the Buffalo stampede at the Helix Herne shrine and the demonic Satyr goatherd. A spectre of 'the girl in white' haunts the south woods, but there has been no specific 'undead' resurgence beyond the norms of 'wandering creature' encounters.

He can script a basic map of the region that could take you to caves or Bugbear villages for a few gold.

actions any more specific Blaze interactions.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Stirling »

Blaze Horner

Not sure I want to try and solve any 'waif wraith of the woods' issue without some ability to influence Undead. Bugbears in the other hand are 'humanoids' which his swordplay gains extra advantage against, a natural antipathy increasing damage with each ranger rank.

I wouldn't mind scouting the Troglodyte Caves but the former offers some reward. In fact once I have finished with Hunnicot I will go to the Chapel of St Ygg as the curate seems to be the de facto Duchy representative rather than the elder druid Clive.

I will post in the Chapel thread.

-5sp for any minor spending to cover a night in the Long House bunkroom.

I will also mooc among locals, wondering who might be ideal trekking companions on any adventure. (sure at some point I will cross paths with Hedrak).

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Stirling »

-5sp for any minor spending to cover a night in the Long House bunkroom.
Blaze Horner

I spent ahead on a night's stay and think to do that, taking advantage of a last place to get clean and laundered. In the meantime I will get the militiaman to purchase regular supplies such as extra torches, rope, rations, candles, a hefty sledgehammer in case we need knock something through. (Maybe our Bugbear can lug that about).

I will give him the last of my gp to cover the expedition supplies though we should have basics between us already.

Then I will go to the Herne Shrine. You mentioned before that daily worship takes place at sunset here so we should be in time for that, maybe Hedrak can officiate for us both and that is where we gain the festive blessing (the +4 Easter Egg bonus).

Apart from that, I am done so down a few ales tonight -3sp and rise early to set off.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Edeldhur »

Hedrak
Stirling wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:24 pmThen I will go to the Herne Shrine. You mentioned before that daily worship takes place at sunset here so we should be in time for that, maybe Hedrak can officiate for us both and that is where we gain the festive blessing (the +4 Easter Egg bonus).
Later that day, he joins with Blaze Horner and their two new companions in the communion with Herne - as the sun dips low, painting the sky in hues of amber and gold, the forest whispers, and they all gather on and around the grassy knoll, the grove of Herne, and the seat of the large dolmen. An altar of antlers and wildflowers stands as the focus of the ceremony, an offering to the Hunter's might. Atop it, the fresh kill of the day - a boar, which will be quartered, cooked and partaken by all who wish to stay after the ceremony.

"In the twilight's embrace, we call upon Herne, guardian of the greenwood's lore - guide our arrows true, and let our spirits soar with the stag's mighty roar!" - Hedrak's words sound strong among the others gathered, all under a common belief, but each allowed their own whispered, individual prayers.

The chants rise like a loud murmur, rhythmic and fervent, invoking Herne's spirit with the night.

The intonation comes to its peak to then follows the reverse direction, again back to a murmur and into silence. As twilight embraces the woods, the ceremony bonds man to the wild...

----------

(In terms of gear I feel like Hedrak is about ready to go.
Will our companions Divadroy and the militiaman need additional gear? I still have some gold which we can use.)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

Will our companions Divadroy and the militiaman need additional gear?
no, this is covered and extra basics taken by Blaze.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Edeldhur »

Then I think Hedrak is also ready to go.

Return to “Settlement: Crooked Yew”