atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

HOUSE OF CARDS - PART 1: [D.J. Dawson]

#1 Post by atpollard »

HOUSE OF CARDS - PART 1: [D.J. Dawson]
10 AM District 0, Chapel [14]
D.J. exited the Bar [12] as a man on a mission, cutting straight across the field to avoid the shoppers leisurely ambling along the loop that circled the Square to reach the wide main road … then left towards the Data Processing and Storage Building [7]. He was making good time when he was accosted by a madman speaking strange words. Actually, D.J. was stopped dead in his tracks by a rotund robed man wielding ‘raffle tickets’. Apparently … whether D.J. wanted to hear it or not … he had been chosen to participate in a raffle. For only Cr1, D.J. would buy a chance to win a magnificent work of art by a famous local artist valued at over Cr 500. All of the money raised would help support the Chapel’s community outreach program to help those that the Government cannot or will not.

Father Cohen: “So how many tickets would you like to buy to support such a noble cause?”

11 AM Data Processing and Storage [7]
All things must come to an end … including your time with Father Cohen. D.J. eventually arrived at the Data Processing and Storage Building [7]. Unlike the majority of structures that were prefabricated, modular and airlifted into place, this building looked more like a fortified bunker. D.J was not an expert in Computers, but he knew enough. D.J. was not an expert in Machinery [Mechanical], but he knew enough. D.J. was an expert in Electronics and Communications Systems. What D.J. knew, told him that the enormous mechanical systems that he saw mounted on the roof, which anyone else would pay no attention to, were sized for a small town … not a small building. Nothing less than a full Sarship Computer would need THAT much mechanical support. “Why would a community of 800 people require THAT MUCH processing power?” D.J. wondered.

The front door slid open with only a whisper of sound as the air was disturbed. D.J. stepped into the vestibule and was briefly trapped as the air cycled to remove all contaminants and UV lights sanitized any bacteria that might be on you. D.J. listened to ‘mood music’, stared at the second set of doors and waited … thinking how much this space reminded him of an Airlock. The inner doors opened - there were two doors, one behind the other, not side by side - and D.J. stepped into a living room that would be at home in a suite of any luxury hotel.

To one side of the central “living room” were two offices - one larger than the other. On the opposite side of the central “living room” was a glass wall with racks of servers beyond. A man in his early twenties stepped out of the smaller office and greeted D.J.

“Welcome. We don’t get many visitors. These ‘arsy-fartsy’ types don’t generally get into Computers and data as much as one would expect. So what can we do you for?” Sam grinned at the phrase. “Bartleby, I’d like an iced coffee with chocolate and cream … and a Chicken Waldorf Salad on a Croissant.” A panel on one of the walls slid open and three robotic arms started cooking and preparing before your eyes. “I skipped breakfast. Would you like something?”

D.J. observed that the door to the large office was labeled “Mark Jensen”, while the door to the smaller office had no label.
[14] Father Ren Cohen (Age 31): Below average (2-5) STR, EDU; Average (6-8) DEX, END, SOC; Above average (9-A) INT.

[7] [Manager] Mark Jensen (Age 45): Below average (2-5) DEX, END; Average (6-8) SOC; Above average (9-A) STR, INT, EDU.

[7] [Asst. Manager] William Bautista (Age 30): Below average (2-5) STR, SOC; Average (6-8) DEX, END, INT; Above average (9-A) EDU.

[7] [Technician] Sam Anderson (Age 22): Below average (2-5) END; Average (6-8) STR,DEX; Above average (9-A) INT, EDU, SOC.
[NOTE: This is a pause mid-search to offer each character a chance to privately interact during the 4 hour mission and potentially gain allies, enemies, contacts or rumors beyond the main “reveal” of the quest … which happens in PART 2, when I apply the final result of your OOC skill roll.]
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: HOUSE OF CARDS - PART 1: [D.J. Dawson]

#2 Post by shaidar »

atpollard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:46 am 10 AM District 0, Chapel [14]
D.J. exited the Bar [12] as a man on a mission, cutting straight across the field to avoid the shoppers leisurely ambling along the loop that circled the Square to reach the wide main road … then left towards the Data Processing and Storage Building [7]. He was making good time when he was accosted by a madman speaking strange words. Actually, D.J. was stopped dead in his tracks by a rotund robed man wielding ‘raffle tickets’. Apparently … whether D.J. wanted to hear it or not … he had been chosen to participate in a raffle. For only Cr1, D.J. would buy a chance to win a magnificent work of art by a famous local artist valued at over Cr 500. All of the money raised would help support the Chapel’s community outreach program to help those that the Government cannot or will not.

Father Cohen: “So how many tickets would you like to buy to support such a noble cause?”
DJ smiles at the man. He's not really a particularly religious person, but it's for a good cause and it as much about making connections in a new area than anything.

"Well, since it's for such a good cause then I'll have ten tickets please. When is the draw?"

atpollard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:46 am 11 AM Data Processing and Storage [7]

“Welcome. We don’t get many visitors. These ‘arsy-fartsy’ types don’t generally get into Computers and data as much as one would expect. So what can we do you for?” Sam grinned at the phrase. “Bartleby, I’d like an iced coffee with chocolate and cream … and a Chicken Waldorf Salad on a Croissant.” A panel on one of the walls slid open and three robotic arms started cooking and preparing before your eyes. “I skipped breakfast. Would you like something?”

D.J. observed that the door to the large office was labeled “Mark Jensen”, while the door to the smaller office had no label.
"Thank you, I'll have a white coffee, two sugars." he hold out his hand "I'm DJ Dawson, ex-merchant officer. I've just arrived in the area looking for opportunities. Electronics is my thing, and I couldn't help but notice your impressive setup as I was walking by." he looks down at his casual clothes Sorry, I ain't exactly dressed to impress."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

10:30 AM Chapel [14]

#3 Post by atpollard »

10:30 AM Chapel [14]
OOC: Just a quick reminder and a “teaching moment”. I generate random events and people. Each one has the potential to link to SOMETHING in one of multiple “Plot Threads” that I have either running in the background or waiting in the wings … I have literally HUNDREDS of possible adventures to draw from. Character’s ACTIONS have consequences. Whatever YOU (the player/character) choose to focus on as important becomes what is IMPORTANT in my response. D.J. chose to engage with the Clergyman beyond a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ … so THAT action creates a response along THAT plot thread. It is not “good” or “bad” … I am just offering a glimpse under the hood at how things work for the players trying to get a feel for this game.
DJ: "Well, since it's for such a good cause then I'll have ten tickets please. When is the draw?"

Father Cohen was delighted at the sale and DJ showing interest. He begins to engage in a conversation that quickly becomes animated - trapping DJ - and somehow effortlessly morphs into a sermon of the moral depravity of modern culture. Dj is focused intently on finding an opportunity to break away when the mention of “Silver Ore” cuts through and grabs his attention. A few well chosen questions to steer the topic reveals that father Cohen knows many of the details surrounding the shipment and lawsuit from months of comforting those innocent employees harmed by the “corporate greed” and “sabotage” that lies at the sinister heart of the issue. “The love of Gold is the root of all sorts of evils!” he quoted emphatically.

DJ clearly sensed that Father Cohen knew more, but he also recognized that he had pushed just a little too far and the Father was becoming cautious. DJ quickly redirected the conversation back to the raffle … which is being held in four days … which led to a conversation on the Artwork that was being raffled. You learned that “Zhen”, whose actual name was Zhen Green, was a friend of the Chapel who lived locally and whose Exotic Artwork typically sold for closer to Cr 7000 or Cr 8000 each. Of course, the Cr 500 raffle piece is a much smaller work than her typical “Commercial” pieces. If DJ won the raffle, Zhen would be presenting it herself. DJ learned that people had been known to double their money off of Zhen’s Artwork … if he ever had thousands of credits to invest in art, Father Cohen could make an introduction (the tone was light-hearted, but sincere).
[14] Reaction Roll = 2 … [bad news] first conversation ends badly.
[14] Reaction Roll = 10 … [good news] second conversation ends well

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

12 Noon Data Processing and Storage [7]

#4 Post by atpollard »

12 Noon Data Processing and Storage [7]

Sam was friendly enough, but couldn't think of anything they might need another Tech for. Fortunately for DJ, even Sam admitted that was not the call of a 22 year old, fresh out of college, first assignment tech. So DJ was invited to “make himself comfortable” while Sam went to get Mark.

The coffee was very good, so DJ spent the time examining “Bartleby”. A perusal of its capabilities suggested some advanced programming with it operating at about the culinary skill level of Steward-2 … a professional chef (if not Michelin Star quality). That had to be close to state-of-the-art for non-military programming.

Mark arrived from somewhere in the Server Room portion of the building and invited DJ into his office to talk. The door slid closed and the glass wall turned opaque … revealing a beach scene. Mark was a large man in his mid-forties with all the earmarks of a sedentary lifestyle. He was slow and not particularly graceful in movements, but his eyes were sharp … missing nothing. DJ attempted to talk about his record and skills, but Mark shut down the conversation with a simple request to see his ID. Upon presenting the ID, Marc scanned it and the walls of the room - on every side - came alive with data and images. DJ’s entire life was laid bare upon the office walls. There were even Personnel evaluations from ships he had served on a decade ago displayed on the wall.

Mark studied the wall for a moment, smiled, and extended a thick-fingered hand. "Welcome, Mr. Dawson. It will be a pleasure working with you." Mark sighed "Sam means well and, who knows, one day he may even be useful. However right now, he is a college educated fool - all theory with no experience - gifted to me as a political appointment because of a well connected family, so that I can teach him. I would get rid of him, but he is not incompetent, so the chances are good that whoever replaced him would be worse. However, I have a problem that requires someone with more than basic theory … I need someone with practical experience and a track record."

Mark explained to you that what they do is “delicate” and that you were expected to exercise a certain professional discretion in discussing anything you see or hear within these walls. With a smile on his face but a tone that informed you that it was no idle threat, Mark informed you that if you betrayed his trust, he would erase all traces that you had ever existed - your service records, employment records, bank accounts, birth record - you will live the remainder of your existence as a non-person.

DJ followed Mark through the Server Room with rack after rack of data storage units - DJ estimated the room to contain the equivalent of a Model 2 Starship Computer - about 28 cubic meters of hardware. Beyond that lay a security door and another room with 56 cubic meters of electronics. Mark explained that he needed your expertise to resolve an issue with the connection between THIS system and the Server in the next room and the Fiber Optic COMM link that connected both to the planet-wide network.

DJ set to work tracking down the problem. It was a tricky issue - not because of the actual problem itself [that was a common interference issue causing data to be rejected and need to be resent]. It was the HARDWARE that made it tricky. At one end was the FIB (Fibre Optic) Comm Network. In the Middle was this Starship Computer server. At the other end was a system with an unfamiliar - and probably experimental - structure. It resembled the BIS (Improved/Advanced) computer designs one encountered on some Starships that allowed smaller computers to perform like larger computers … a Model 1/bis could function as a Model 2 computer in half the space; a Model 2/bis could function as a Model 3. This, on the other hand, appeared to have ORGANIC circuitry instead of ELECTRONIC circuitry … making it something like a Model 3/bis or a Model 4/bis prototype computer.

Mark was unable to help with the repair, but never left DJ’s sight. Most of the time was spent waiting as systems ran diagnostics, DJ analyzed the results and made a few adjustments, and more waiting on diagnostics. It was a tedious grinding process of elimination that crept slowly towards the goal. That allowed DJ and Mark plenty of time to just talk. You learned that DJ had retired twice and this was his third “retirement” … he didn’t garden and needed to do something with his time, so managing an office in the Colony was quiet work. Mark had originally started out as a “White Hat”, working for the Government. He retired from government work to join Corporate Cybersecurity as a “Gray Hat” until he used his parachute and retired. Now he just runs this little Computer Office in the Colony.

DJ successfully completed the repair and headed back to the “living room” with Mark, who was delighted with both the quality of the repair and its speed. DJ took the opportunity and ‘good mood’ to “wonder out loud” about the Arctic Comm Repair Job. Mark just smiled and DJ knew that the man had seen through his subtle attempts … Mark was SHARP - like REALLY sharp. Yet the gamble still paid off, because Mark was in a good mood and both HAD information and was happy to share it with DJ - quid pro quo - DJ did something for mark, so …

VET - Ville d’ Espoir Technologies - was a large corporation that owned and operated orbital satellites (among other things). There was a POLAR satellite that monitors atmospheric activity in the Arctic region above 60 degrees latitude. The data from this satellite was vital to the ability to accurately predict weather (which impacts agriculture, transportation, mining - multiple economic sectors) not to mention critical functions like Tornado Prediction and Hurricane Tracking. The data from this satellite was transmitted to a reception tower in the Arctic. That tower stopped functioning six days ago. Every day that tower remained off-line cost the company Cr 100,000 in damages and twice that in lost stock value. They REALLY wanted that tower repaired.

Five days ago, a repair team arrived to fix the tower. All communication with them ceased after the first transmission acknowledging their arrival and that they had begun repairs. Three days ago, a group from a nearby village arrived at the tower to check on the Repair Crew … they found some blood and no sign of anyone. The LOCALS refused to return to the Tower. The Government fast-tracked an authorization for the Army to repair the tower. As of this morning, the Army was scheduled to arrive at the Tower to begin repairs in 14 to 21 days.

VET was offering the Cr 100,000 per day to anyone that can fix the tower before the Army. No questions asked. If you had repaired the Tower by noon today, VET would have paid you 1.4 million credits. If you repaired it by noon tomorrow, they would pay you 1.3 million credits. It’s worth 1.2 million credits the day after tomorrow. And so on, until the Army arrives and the last Cr 100,000 expires. It was just business to VET … they were going to spend the money either way and just wanted results.

Mark accessed some video of the Tower shot by the Villagers. DJ sat on a sofa enjoying lunch as he watched home movies of an abandoned Arctic COMM tower and relay station. There was one area that had blood stains … a LOT of blood … but like the report said, nothing else. No damage to structures. No abandoned equipment. No bodies. Just a blood stain on the steps and ground, and empty buildings that looked like no one had been there in years.
[7] Sam Reaction Roll = 5 [negative] … +2 skill = 7 [neutral]
[7] Mark Reaction Roll = 7 [neutral] … +2 skill = 9 [friendly/positive]
[7] Comm-2 Repair Roll = [7] +2 =9 (success)
[NOTE: Another pause before the main “reveal” of the quest … which happens in PART 2, when I apply the final result of your OOC skill roll. Have fun.]

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ didn't like having his electronic existence threatened, it wasn't much, but it was his, but he kept his mouth shut.

As the task unfolded he was drawn into the technical challange and the realisation that there really was something interesting going on in this comms building, something beyond what you'd expect from a town this size. That thought was certainly worth squirreling away for future reference, and that Mr Mark Jensen was certainly a connection worth developing.

After the fifth slo-mo replay of the video DJ stopped the video.

"It's almost like someone literally scooped them and their gear up, or took time to clean up. I wonder if they bothered to test that blood to check that it does actually belong to their people. Quite bizarre. I'm not sure even that much money is worth that. I think I should look into hostile arctic species, unless there's a rival company who really wants them to lose the contract."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

1 PM Data Processing and Storage [7] / Wholesale Food [23]

#6 Post by atpollard »

1 PM Data Processing and Storage [7] / Wholesale Food [23]

Mark ended your visit to “Data Processing and Storage” [7] with several peculiar statements. He thanked you for your work (but paid you nothing). He said that, in his experience, information is far more valuable than money. He had a strange quirky smile at your suggestion that D.J. wanted to learn more about ‘hostile arctic species’ and scribbled a note onto a piece of paper that just said “Four Hours” and said that you should visit the Wholesale Food and Grocery [23], repair their COMM system and present that note to the manager. He smiled again … “You should really chat with George, the Manager. Tell him that Mark sent you to fix his produce problem, and ask him about his Second Term with his old company.”

OOC: Let me know exactly what you say to George as [23] and, if you want, you can roll an EASY (6+) repair on the Wholesale Comm System.
[23] (Manager) George Fernandes (Age 52):
Below average (2-5) STR; Average (6-8) DEX, INT, SOC; Above average (9-C) END, EDU.
Currently “manager” of the food warehouse [23].

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ takes the piece of paper, thanks Mark, and heads over to the grocery store as suggested.

Once there he asks to speak to the manager, and once shown the way will introduce himself.

"Mr Fernandes? I'm DJ Dawson." he holds his hand out "Mike Jensen sent me your way. He says that you're having trouble with your comms system and that I could help fix your produce problem." he hands over the piece of paper that Mark gave him.

At a suitable point in the conversation he will ask him about his second term with his old company.

Fix the comms:
Electronics: [_2d6+2]=(5+4)=9+2=11

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

1:55 PM Wholesale Food [23]

#8 Post by atpollard »

1:55 PM Wholesale Food [23]

George was happy to pay the Cr 40 for four hours labor … as long as D.J. could get the system back up - he had merchandise that REALLY needed to keep moving and taking manual orders was crushing his business. DJ felt a ‘little’ guilty when the repair took under 10 minutes, so he stretched it out and ran every test he could to give George the best possible service. When he finished, NOBODY could complain about the speed or connection at the Wholesale Food comm system.

Asking about George’s second term brought an unpleasant reaction to his face. Joe was only too happy to tell the story of being ‘shafted’ as a young clerk at VET. He was promised a promotion if he signed up for a second term. He even got a big bonus to re-up. The ink wasn’t dry on the contract before they transferred him from the Corporate HQ in Ville d’Espoir to a position driving a supply transport to the Arctic Outposts. George spent 4 years driving back and forth across the Arctic region alone in a tracked transport. As soon as his contract was over, George moved to the Tropics to get warm and has been living in Brulantfort ever since.

D.J. casually asked if George saw any wild animals while he was driving in the Arctic … “Sure did! Oh, the stories that I could tell you.” … unfortunately, DJ was supposed to meet back with the rest of the group at 2 PM, so the stories would have to wait for another time.

While George and DJ were talking, one of the workers interrupted with a message that “somebody” had made a mistake on an order … either the shipper or the clerk that placed the order … and they had just received 30 tonnes more of “consumables” than they needed for the Restaurant [2]. They were going to have to pay a 10% return fee or a 5% Broker fee to find another customer quickly. DJ asked a few questions, and George agreed to pay DJ the 5% fee if he could locate a buyer for …

30 tonnes of Consumables at Cr 2,000 per tonne [Cr 60,000 sale = Cr 3,000 profit]

[... or DJ could purchase them himself for Cr 57,000 and attempt to sell at a higher price as a speculator. Group choice.]
[23] George Fernandes
(Manager) George Fernandes (Age 52):
Below average (2-5) STR; Average (6-8) DEX, INT, SOC; Above average (9-A) END, EDU.
Currently “manager” of the food warehouse [23]; former Arctic transporter for VET.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJ considers a very interesting few hours, things certainly aren't boring around here.

He shakes George's hand

"That comms system should do you for years, but any more problems just let me know. As for those consumables, I'm off to see some friends to see what we can do, I'll let you know. When I have more time I'd like to hear those stories about artic critters."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by atpollard »

As DJ is leaving the Wholesale Food, he is confronted by an angry man ... the gist is his family lost a lot of money because of your Grandfather and he would like to punch you in the nose because YOU are a 'stinkin Dawson'. The situation becomes tense with lots of shouting and some shoving, but other workers intervene before it comes to blows ... at one point, DJ has been sufficiently provoked to fight back (he laid hands on you) but the decision whether to take a swing or not rests with DJ.

Either way, DJ has an enemy looking for a fight.

OOC: I will leave the individual "Part 1" threads unlocked for a while in case there is anything you want to do BEFORE 2 PM. After 2 PM, there is a new thread for House of cards - Part 2 where the group is back together.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

DJ

DJs good mood is immediately soured. He's had to deal with this kind of thing all his life, but it's been a few years now. He feels for these people but his father also destroyed his mothers life, turned her into an alcoholic recluse, and ultimately ruined his as well from before he was even born, but nobody ever considers this

He could defend himself physically, but as there are others around he let's them pull the man off him, and he doesn't want the hassle from the LEOs

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”