Reload

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Reload

#21 Post by Zhym »

NJWilliam wrote:"My command over insects has increased, and it may help clear a large part of the giants' underground part. I could summon insects, that if outdoors would be a cloud 160 feet in diameter and forty feet high, for an hour and a half. They would bite and sting every minute and likely cause many to flee either out of fear or simply for survival. The party could wait outside and disable, capture, subdue, or simply defeat the fleeing creatures.
Ooh, I like this idea. The spell description says that the swarm starts at a focal point up to 320' away. I presume that still needs to be line of sight? So we'd need to get you at least to the bottom of the stairs we left by to get the swarm centered on the dungeon level.

Oh, and that's a 160 ft radius, not diameter! The AoE is huge: a little over 80,400 square feet, 40' high, or 804 squares on a dungeon map, assuming the plague spreads the same way a fireball would. Our current map of the known dungeon (including what Tanner drew for us) is 24x31, or 744 squares. That's the entire map area, much of which is rock. Holy moly! Oh man what a spell.

On the other hand, repel insects looks like it can only affect the caster. Antheris could use it on himself, but I don't think he could cast it on others.

But I just realized Gaerys's objection...
"That's an amazing idea," says Gaerys, in awe of the power his druid friend commands—and Gaerys makes a mental note to be sure Antheris stays a friend. "But could the insects tell the evil from the good? There are still some innocent captive wildlings down there, and Tanner said there were more prisoners in other areas of the dungeon. Wouldn't many of them die if the dungeon were beset by a plague of insects?"

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris frowns, "No, you are right, the captives likely would be slain by the insects since they would not be able to flee.

"If there is a way to determine that we have freed all of the prisoners, then we could use the insects to clear any remaining evil out."
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin nods at Gaery's request. Yes brother, should you wish it I can instruct you in some of the lesser arts although you should know that true mastery take more than a lifetime. His eyes scan over Gaery's sword for a moment, In return I would request a chance to study your sword. The magic it contains is most unique. I have never encountered an enchantment so specific and so deadly for but one enemy. If I could unlock the secret of its making then perhaps I could supply the Watch with many more.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Zhym »

"That seems a very fair trade," Gaerys replies to Vorsyin, "as long as the study won't destroy the sword, of course!"

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 6
Time: 7:30
Weather: 41 degrees; cloudy
Current HPs

Antheris - 48/48
Ethan - 71/71
Kjelti - 52/56
Vorsyin - 44/48
Gaerys - 60/60
Hollis - 35/50
Blue - 39/48
Marcus - 35/35

The party spent the remainder of Day Five planning their next assault on the Steading and exchanging information. They awaken on Day Six. The first and most important decision that they face for the day

A patrol circled the Steading, and even poked into the breached areas, during the night. They report to the party that it has remained quiet. What is left of the Giants -- and whatever else that is down there -- appears to be bunkered down in the dungeon level.

If there is anything else on Day 5 that you would and could have done, you can post it. Let's get to the action soon.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zhym »

With Hollis at -15 HP and Blue at -9, are we setting out on Day 6, or do we wait one more day so that everyone can be fully healed and at full spell capacity when we leave?

If Vorsyin is willing to make continual light sources (and the "MageLight"), an extra day of rest would allow memorization of the necessary spells. We could probably get all that done without delaying the action, I hope.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by NJWilliam »

I say take the extra day to be healed up and with the lights.
Some continual darkness items wouldn't hurt either. . .
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

Makes sense to me. Let's say we make the lights (what, one Stone Shaped MageLight and three wearable continual light stones?) and heal up on Day 6, then set out on Day 7, so that Magnus can make his next post on the start of action on Day 7? Assuming everyone agrees?

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by NJWilliam »

Yup, Antheris will Call Woodland Beings in the early morning of the day we are setting out.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by saalaria »

Hollis

Hollis seeks out the maester and sources several vials to divvy up the waterbreathing potion. He then decants it and passes to everyone who wants to carry one.

I think I need a bit of time to study spell lists. Happy to discuss the best options for the group in view of the mission

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Zhym »

saalaria wrote:I think I need a bit of time to study spell lists. Happy to discuss the best options for the group in view of the mission
Well, since you asked... ;)
I'm personally a fan of lots of buffs from clerics. Bless, Prayer, and Protection from Evil (and the 10' radius version) are all good if we have enough advance notice of a battle to use them in time (as is Chant, though it prevents any other actions for its duration. It's probably better when the cleric is part of a larger group than we have). Protection from Evil might be especially useful if the evil spirits are of the extraplanar variety (demons, devils, etc.). We ran into a couple of fire giants, so Resist Fire might not be a bad idea. It's hard to have too many healing spells, the way we've been playing. Find Traps seems like it might be useful since we don't have a thief. Slow Poison and Neutralize Poison are the kind of spells you never think you need until you suddenly do. A Glyph of Warding could be really useful. You never know when one might need to dispel magic.

You might also want to coordinate with Antheris on spell selection, since the Cleric and Druid spell lists overlap.

Obviously, all this is just my opinion.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by Magnus »

Locked with next game post in a new thread to come.

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”