General OOC

dmw71
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: General OOC

#81 Post by Rex »

Good question, I actually started with the weaker of my 2 characters.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by shaidar »

So did I :) which is why I'm asking :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by dmw71 »

shaidar wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:13 am Are we going to be starting again, rather than continuing where we are and the DM use a bit of sleight of hand?

Also, we rolled up two characters so we had a second to rejoin quickly if the first died. Is this still the plan? Otherwise I might consider starting with my other character.
Truth be told, I've been more concerned with identifying what I want to run you guys through instead of reviewing what you've already done.

At this point, I have no idea where you are and what you've done. If you've actually entered a dungeon from a different module... we'll see.

As for characters, any that you've already rolled up will be usable once this game resets.

However...

I posted this in my other game:

dmw71 wrote:I've been thinking about this game a lot the last couple of days. A few things:
  1. I think I am going to go with a hybrid customization route, which will take more time. (Also, see point 3, below.). I will probably do very little to customize low-interest NPCs (e.g. general farmers, etc...); maybe just a name change? For more interesting or involved NPCs, they'll get a name change plus a lot more.
  2. I might have settled on a new "big" element for this campaign in the form of an entirely new (and unsuspected) BBEG. I don't want to share more at this point, but I really like the potential of this possibility.
  3. Unrelated to D&D (but leaving D&D as collateral damage), I officially committed myself to learning new skills which will benefit me professionally. My knowledge in this area is extremely limited as I type this, so this change will be a massive undertaking on my part and will require a lot of dedication and focus, plus time.
This will obviously cut into the time I have available to spend preparing for this and any other game endeavors I'm a part of, but I'm finding it increasingly necessary as the (now seven) months without income or benefits are really starting to take its toll (both mentally and financially).

The first two points are obviously not relevant to this game, but the third point most definitely is.

The amount of time I allow myself to spend on gaming is going to be more... controlled, or limited. That means, while I still feel capable of running this game, do be aware that there might be some delays in getting started.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Marullus »

No worries, Dave.

So you don't have to look elsewhere, here's where we are right now:
  • We only committed to a 2xWeek post rate. If you want that different, just let us know.
  • Our adventure so far has been generic and we only arrived at a dungeon entrance - we haven't entered or acted. What we did was: buy holy water in town, went and talked to the old guy who had been to the dungeon before and got him to tell us about a back door, walked past the front entrance to find the back door, then decided to check the entrance for traps and runes (which are both still unadjudicated).
  • I think we're happy just starting a new thread with you, or you can pick up and say "the entrance actually looks like this now" and we go forward. :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#85 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:12 pm So you don't have to look elsewhere, here's where we are right now:
  • We only committed to a 2xWeek post rate. If you want that different, just let us know.
  • Our adventure so far has been generic and we only arrived at a dungeon entrance - we haven't entered or acted. What we did was: buy holy water in town, went and talked to the old guy who had been to the dungeon before and got him to tell us about a back door, walked past the front entrance to find the back door, then decided to check the entrance for traps and runes (which are both still unadjudicated).
  • I think we're happy just starting a new thread with you, or you can pick up and say "the entrance actually looks like this now" and we go forward. :)
This is really helpful, thanks.

I can't imagine it will take too long to read through what has transpired in this game already. I'm guessing there's a reason you went and purchased holy water (that will be helpful detail when I go to make my decision). I think most dungeons now feature at least two entrances, but I will try to make sure whichever map I select will have both a front and back entrance.

Or, maybe we'll start fresh? I can't really decide until I catch up on the history of the game. Either way, the re-launch should be relatively painless. I just re-upped my Roll20 subscription (it had been lapsed for a long time since I haven't been running games) so I'll get that set up quickly as well. For those that haven't participated in games I've run, I just use Roll20 for maps. You'll see. :D
Eventually, though, I really would like to get to a point where I'm running live games online again.

Actually, I am going to carve out an hour or two tonight to get caught up on the history of this game. This step, and formally picking a dungeon map to use, will go a long way towards getting this game ready to go.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Rex »

Sounds like a plan. I am good with whatever. And it goes without saying if I could swing the time I would play in one of your roll20 games.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#87 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:14 am And it goes without saying if I could swing the time I would play in one of your roll20 games.
Good to know.

I’m going to be plenty busy for quite a while so planning a live Roll20 game isn’t that high on my list of priorities, but I’m definitely planning on expanding my development in Greyhawk (as part of my other game) to use it as the campaign setting for the live games I eventually run.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Rex »

An excellent idea, it makes sense to re-utilize or make multiple uses of as much of what we do as we can. Something I wish I was better at.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#89 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:30 pm I can't really decide until I catch up on the history of the game. Either way, the re-launch should be relatively painless.
I did catch up on the complete history of the game the other night, as planned.

A few very quick thoughts before I log off and resume my training/studies:
  1. Ben did a really good job getting the game set up. His details and descriptions were quite impressive. (And, truthfully, make it a bit intimidating to follow-up.)
  2. The town you guys began in -- Jackal's Pass -- I don't know what or where it is. Maybe it's a settlement of his own creation? Most of the game, I suspect, will be spent in a dungeon instead of in town, so hopefully it won't be a big deal.
  3. I did skim through the adventure you guys got started with, and it's a tough one; especially for brand new characters. But, a part of me is tempted to just keep you guys running through it as originally planned.
I'll think on this some more and make a formal decision/announcement soon.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Rex »

Sounds good.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by dmw71 »

I just posted this in my other game:
I share this with my most sincere of apologies:

While there was an understanding, due to the customization taking place for this game, that it would be a while before it actually gets started --

Unfortunately, I have formally decided to take (at least) the month of October off from gaming, or game prep.

I have been out of work since April 3rd. Initially, I wasn't even looking for new work, but when May approached and our benefits were set to expire, that's when things changed.

Rejections followed every job application since (except one, at a movie theater, which I ultimately had to turn down because $15.50 per hour won't really support a family of four).

A member here on the forums (whom I am eternally indebted to) has turned me onto a different technology role that, at present, I am not qualified for. But, I am actively working on training courses to obtain certification that will give me the confidence to at least apply.

I need to take this seriously, and, while I thought I would be able to juggle training for this certificate and running a game (or two) here on the forums -- all I feel is guilt when I attempt to do anything D&D related since, between the two activities, I know my time is best served working towards landing a job.

I've signed up for two different training courses. One doesn't say how long it will take (there are 21.5 hours worth of videos, and other users has said it takes approximately two months; the other course says it will take six months, but again, people say it can be completed in half that or less).

Either way, I need to distance myself from gaming for a month or two to give myself a serious shot at landing a new role.

This is just a postponement -- not a cancellation -- so hopefully no one abandons hope, but knowing I will be tabling any work on this for at least a month, I am leaning towards moving this to the archived section (to be restored later).

Apologies, again!

Ideally, someone else will be able to pick this up and run it in the more immediate future since I know you guys are all excited to keep going. Otherwise, I echo what I said in my other post -- my decision is strictly a postponement, not a cancellation. I can almost certainly guarantee that I can get this game up and running by the end of the year.

I'm sorry, guys! :(
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Rex »

No problem Dave, see my other response.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by shaidar »

No problem, focus on sorting out your real-life stuff.

Good luck.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#94 Post by OGRE MAGE »

What other game? ;) :lol:

As always, take care of you and yours first, sir!

Totally understand.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Marullus »

No problem, Dave - please do focus and handle the important stuff. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Rex »

I am heading into the woods for a few days and then off to visit my Mom for the rest of the week. I may be able to check in once or twice over the next week. Feel free to NPC my character(s) as you see fit.

Have a great week everyone!

Return to “Into the Shadowdark (Shadowdark)”