scarik
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

Re: To Adventure! (in character thread)

#41 Post by scarik »

Hire sengrim [2d6+2]=6+2=8

looks like he is on board

I requested a private forum for you. I'll fill in his backstory once it's created

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

Ji-Ho Quartermaster (Captain) [2d6]=6
+1 for Captain

Ji-ho encourage and lead training [2d6+3]=4+3=7

Barnaby and the dwarves are invited to the preperation phase of the camping. :)

Over the next few days, Ji-ho's party grew. Everyone stayed in the small camp, and took turns cooking, cleaning, tending to the dwarves' mules, as well as inspecting and packing gear. Blades were sharpened, armor was mended, extra bow-strings, arrows, and quarrels were purchased, and the group got feedback on local herbs and seasonings to make the dried fish and jerked beef stews taste better.

Rolton, a noble in need of a few prospects, joined in the daily sword training. He was easily better than Morphin and Gilmer, the pair still learning spear and shield tactics. Style wise, Rolton and Si-Woo approached things differently but they were well matched. Both helped Morphin and Gilmer get used to moving targets.

Hermia joined in everything, and her cudgel skills were improved. She could trade blows with Morphin and Dorphin, she asked divine blessing on each meal, and she kept a constant watch on her Captain.

A couple of days later, Drotik began evaluating everyone's ability with thier missle weapons, and he showed them what a heavy crossbow could do.

In everything, Ji-ho participated equally. Sharpening his weapons, giving an encouraging word during training, boiling hardtack into the soup, and brushing the mules. The dwarves provided funds for equipping the expedition, and Ji-ho made the wisest purchases he could. Lots of expendables like arrows and bolts, and setting aside two weeks of food and water for the return trip. Several large water containers, and small apples for the mules who would be worked hard. Extra bags and straps to carry the hoped for treasure.

One evening, Ji-ho called those he was paying together and pulled them aside. Three bundles lay at his feet. "I have few funds, and this trip may take us into the next time I am due to pay you. I do not have enough to pay all of you. If you stay, and if we get treasure, from my portion I will pay you double wages for the next month. If you wish to leave, I understand." He paused, and let anyone ask questions as they saw fit. "Morphin, Gilmer, and Hemia, you are not properly dressed."

He handed each of the three a maille shirt, and smiled as Rolton, Si-woo, and Drotik showed them how to put them on. "Perhaps we should return to your weapons training now? The the armor and its weight take some getting used to."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby, Dramm, and Sengrim all participate in the combat training and other tasks of camp life. The halfling hunter takes relish in competing at targets with Drotik.

Barnaby makes sure to make small talk with Rolton, a man in similar straits to himself. He tries to learn of the other scion's house and manners. Is this a trustworthy comrade? Not all shoots from fine roots shoot straight.
<- if this is right for "feeling out" another character
<- if "WIS" would be more appropriate

The nobleman also tries to build a more equal relationship with Ji-Ho. "I've told you of my house," he says quietly to the Easterling captain as they sup among the others. "Your longer-serving men know much of you, but little is said. I am fascinated to learn how and why did you come west? I imagine it was an arduous journey. Something I could sing about, maybe. I'm always looking for material. But I would like to hear your tale from your lips, not from theirs."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by scarik »

Gurav and his kin are glad to take part in all the planning and practice as well. None of them are skilled at provisioning, nor at hunting in the overworld. They get by largely on their strong backs and ability to carry most of their provisions along as they travel. Thane Graka seems to have an endless supply of dwarvish coins and entrusts his younger brother Korev with accompanying Ji-Ho and paying for their supplies. Ji-Ho can't help but note that no merchant bothers to weigh out the dwarven silver but instead accepts it at face value without concern for fraud or embezzling. When everything is laid in Gurav's dark demeanor lightens a bit as he is impressed with Ji-Ho's bartering ability and gives the Easterling a silver ring worth a shilling in appreciation.

Hodlar the machinist is a dead eye with his heavy crossbow but otherwise the most lightly armed of the four Dawigar though still equipped like a heavy infantryman. The others are well-armed and use thrown axes or hammers at range. Korev is the most capable of their fighters with his long axe and prodigious strength.

The two 'mules' that Gurav spoke of before turn out to be some sort of curl-horned goat with shaggy coats. They have a mule's deft feet and sour attitudes though so its easy to see why the Dawi word for them is translated as mule.

The men are all pleased to see Sengrim arrive to their encampment. The short fellow has the typical, jolly, demeanor his folk are known for and some skill with pot and pan besides. He carries a light crossbow rather than a hunting bow to make up for the short length and strength of his own draw and uses it both for bolts and pellets when taking down small game.

Barnaby gets his chance to hear from Rolton and finds he is a former squire for one of the Knights of the Green Lily and has been in Borderton the past two years. His armor was a gift for his service but he can't afford the necessary mounts to win his spurs.

Morphin, Gilmer, and Hemia are all surprised and pleased at their new armor.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by scarik »

Meanwhile life goes on in Borderton.

The Bishop's procession leaves for Springkeep guarded by the Knights of the Green Lily. Zenkris the Elf goes with them.

Several other bands of adventurers begin to form as well. One is going into the northern woods to hunt down some strange creatures menacing the logging camps. Another is going southwest for similar reasons. Neither endeavor seems very lucrative, but with a dozen men its not dangerous either.

It is likely to be unpleasant though as midweek a heavy storm rolls through the area soaking everything for dozens of miles. By the time the Dwarven expedition is ready to head out only clouds and mud remain of the storms.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

"Not much different from you and Rolton, sadly."
Ji-ho shrugged in response to Barnaby. "In my culture, honor is similar, but familes rise and fall in favor according to the pleasure of the Emporer. One of my ancestors handed the Empire a land bigger than most of your kingdoms here, and for a while my family was well known and well respected. Over time, other families grew in fame, and mine seemed happy to remain on the edge of the empire. I wanted more of life."

He stared into the fire for several heartbeats, and then smiled. "I did not understand, until I helped guard the taxes as they were transported to the Imperial City. Then I saw, and understood why my family stayed where they were. Why they chose a distant life."

"A westward caravan needed a guard captain, and who better than a captain who had guarded taxes? Si-woo joined me, and we have been heading west ever since. Perhaps this land will settle down eventually, and we will resume our westward journey? Or perhaps there is an army to lead?" He shrugged again, and looked at Barnaby. "You say your house fell into ill repute, but I do not see that in you. Perhaps you will be the one to set things right?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by tibbius »

"Ah, we still have a good reputation," Barnaby answers mildly. "We're busted, but well-liked. So far, the other aristocracy help us eke along. Yet I can't help but feel, that can't last forever. I'd like to restore our fortunes and repay the kindness of our sponsors." He sighs. "Sometimes I feel that I'm the only member of our house who has that impulse."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”